Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 11-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Turning gardens into allotments.

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/...to_allotments/
11:10am Sunday 16th November 2008

Comments (0) Have your say »

By Lucy Tatchell »

A PARISH councillor thinks he has found the solution to an allotment shortage in a Worcestershire village.

Kempsey Parish Councillor John Michael said many residents had expressed a desire for allotments but the previous site has fallen into disrepair.

He now hopes a facility called Landshare could address the shortage.

“It is a facility where land owners can log on and express an interest for their garden to be used and other people can go there and start an allotment,” he said.

“It might be a way of meeting the demands of the people who have expressed an interest in having allotments.”

To find out more about the scheme visit landshare.net

I myself used to have an allotment 10 years ago but had to give it up for transport reasons,i approached my local council a few months ago for a more local one and the waiting list is ridiculous;what i find infuriating is that there are quite a few allotments overgrown and unkept (and from a few friends of mine who have allotments saying there are plenty thaat are "uncultivated")-why don't these owners give up their keys for people who are more than willing to put a shovel in their hands?

Part of the inner circle@Avebury complex A.t.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Delphi
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Turning gardens into allotments.

Good to hear about gardensharing. I am to the extent that I bought winter vegetable seedlings for a friend to plant. If you could see the jungle that is my patio you'd understand why she's doing the cultivation. Green fingers I do not have yet.
Some weeks ago i posted elsewhere the stat that 54% of food in Russia is grown in gardens.
love to all
PS I'm really liking the pix you add to your posts.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
peacelovinman
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
Good to hear about gardensharing. I am to the extent that I bought winter vegetable seedlings for a friend to plant. If you could see the jungle that is my patio you'd understand why she's doing the cultivation. Green fingers I do not have yet.
Some weeks ago i posted elsewhere the stat that 54% of food in Russia is grown in gardens.
love to all
PS I'm really liking the pix you add to your posts.
Hi all

I've had an allotment for some years but am now converting my garden to veggie production. I'm writing an e-book for people that want to start growing their own food in their garden/back-yard. Anybody who wants a free copy can have one.

All the best

Peacelovinman.
peacelovinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelovinman View Post
Hi all

I've had an allotment for some years but am now converting my garden to veggie production. I'm writing an e-book for people that want to start growing their own food in their garden/back-yard. Anybody who wants a free copy can have one.

All the best

Peacelovinman.
Thanks delphi appreciated matey!

I'd like a copy of the grow your own peacelovinman!I always wish to learn and see different abgles and ideas.Cheers.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
sunshineseastar
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelovinman View Post
Hi all

All the best

Peacelovinman.
that´s wonderful...i would love a copy......i grow sprouts year round....i would suggest everyone learn how to sprout .....it just takes a littel practice.......but it´s easier and more nutriuos and you don´t need dirt........also i grow weat grass.....the juiec is great medicine.....i have a manual jucier....very easy to grow also....oh and did i mention these things are very cheap!!!!!!
sunshineseastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Delphi
Avalon Senior Member

Please can I have a copy too!
Thanks
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
vibe
Avalon Senior Member

I will also volunteer for a copy of your book on gardening. I am also trying to get "green fingers" !

Vibe
vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

What a great idea, i have a very small paved back garden but a large front garden mainly lawned with rockeries and large bushes etc;
Only problem there, i think my lovely new veggies would be taken by the light fingered neighbours around lol!! or kids. can't leave anything out for longer than five minutes it's gone!
But i could put plenty of pots in my back garden i guess, what plants grow best in pots?
I'm not that green fingered so i need to know what would be easy to grow.
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Forgot to add may i have a copy also!
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Nice one Peacelovinman can I please have a copy??
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:40 AM   #11
Lance
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui D View Post
What a great idea, i have a very small paved back garden but a large front garden mainly lawned with rockeries and large bushes etc;
Only problem there, i think my lovely new veggies would be taken by the light fingered neighbours around lol!! or kids. can't leave anything out for longer than five minutes it's gone!
But i could put plenty of pots in my back garden i guess, what plants grow best in pots?
I'm not that green fingered so i need to know what would be easy to grow.
http://www.gardeningrevolution.com/index.html

Done deal. Except for the clever wee folk sneaking into yer backyard...
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote