Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 11-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #26
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Default Re: Cold showers - learn to cope without hot water before you need to!

Hi Antaletriangle,

You're in the wrong place in the UK for canals, although I heard that the Caldon Canal had a re-vamp some time back, so I suppose the recycling companies did a rip roaring trade back then.

I used to live on the Grand Union Canal in Rickmansworth near to Watford on a cruiser (didn't have the money for a narrow boat). It was nice, although I remember being woken by the quack, quack, friggin' quack of the ducks at five in the morning. But these things were sent to test us!

I left the boat with the authorities when I decided to go a roaming in Europe. (bitter sweet)

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaletriangle View Post
I've got a canal half a mile dine the road-i just jump in there with the old rusty prams and bikes-no harm done-the fish jump out though when i jump in!!lol.
Nice post-there are a few posts in the canal also!!lol.
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
Reunite
Avalon Senior Member

ok Anchor you convinced me I'm trying it this weekend..hopefully it will get rid of my sinus
Reunite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #28
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Avalon Senior Member

ive been living in a converted garden shed since june 2007 and have mostly been washing under an outside tap!!!!! it was -9 this past winter and so im getting more and more used to the cold...

ive been washing from an outside tap all summer and up to now.. i get a hot shower about once a month.!!

im half way there lol.. things seemed to have moved me to this point in my life to get me used to being totally in natural enviroments and such..

im in the north of england to brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i also started using this product as i noticed i can no longer use typical anti persp/deoderant.. it gives me lumps under my arms.. i think the aluminium blocks my pours?

http://www.pitrok.co.uk/

Last edited by pineal-pilot-in merkabah; 11-13-2008 at 11:03 PM.
pineal-pilot-in merkabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #29
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

two days on the trot now!!! Brrrr
Connecting with Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #30
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A View Post
Hi Antaletriangle,

You're in the wrong place in the UK for canals, although I heard that the Caldon Canal had a re-vamp some time back, so I suppose the recycling companies did a rip roaring trade back then.

I used to live on the Grand Union Canal in Rickmansworth near to Watford on a cruiser (didn't have the money for a narrow boat). It was nice, although I remember being woken by the quack, quack, friggin' quack of the ducks at five in the morning. But these things were sent to test us!

I left the boat with the authorities when I decided to go a roaming in Europe. (bitter sweet)

Best regards,

Steve
What dya mean Steve stoke on trent is littered with canals the now redundant pottery industry is all but dead but the cauldon canal is about half a mile from my house!!I know i jumped in it this morning with a loin cloth on!!lol.

Last edited by Anchor; 11-15-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: fixed quote BB code error
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #31
sunshineseastar
Avalon Senior Member

one question.....half the time i live in the forest and take a shower in the mountian stream.......but when the weather starts getting colder so does the water especialy in the winter..... i watched the videos you sugested but they did not answer my question......now for the body it´s okay but when i stick my head under after a few secounds i get a head ache.....also sometimes it gives me a cramp in my feet.....so usually i will (heat) doesn´t get warm.....but baerable the water in the sun.....do you know why this may happen ?? or how i can over come this ???
thanks.....
sunshineseastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #32
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineseastar View Post
one question.....half the time i live in the forest and take a shower in the mountian stream.......but when the weather starts getting colder so does the water especialy in the winter..... i watched the videos you sugested but they did not answer my question......now for the body it´s okay but when i stick my head under after a few secounds i get a head ache.....also sometimes it gives me a cramp in my feet.....so usually i will (heat) doesn´t get warm.....but baerable the water in the sun.....do you know why this may happen ?? or how i can over come this ???
thanks.....
That symptom you get is that like the "brain freeze" you get when eating cold ice-cream to fast

I have heard that prolonged exposure of the head to really cold water is not a good idea. (Lots of heat loss through the head, so maybe thats why?)

When the water gets colder (in the Winter) I do it just enough to wash and rinse my hair - no more.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #33
3rdEye
Avalon Senior Member

I had my first cold shower today! Couldn't stop sneezing afterward! But I will do my best to stick with it... does it matter if you have really luke warm shower and then gradually turn the hot water off?
3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #34
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Its best to go straight to cold and get it over and done with. Its hard the first few times, but it gets easier.

Cool avatar

A..
Old 11-19-2008, 12:02 AM   #35
Sol Invictus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineseastar View Post
thanks.....

Medical explanation.

Cold water acts as a vasoconstrictor - in short, your peripherals such as your arms and legs get alot less blood because the core suddenly thinks it needs to survive and reduces the blood flow rapidly. This rapid vasoconstriction also forces up blood pressure, up goes the heart rate and so up goes the resperation rate to get enough oxygen for that faster beating heart, and then up goes the blood pressure... so on and so on. The body is just trying to preserve the core organs, and yes it will allow the brain to die first before the heart and liver... The cramps in your feet are also signs that your bodies not getting its required fuel and blood to remain 'alive', and the pain is just a way of your body telling you this.

(You will get a head ache as the brain is suddenly assaulted by freezing temperatures, the body reacts by shutting down as many and as much blood vessels and capillaries as it can to preserve heat, and in short, your starving your brain of the required nutrients for its survival. Hence you get a head ache.)

I lived in the cold for a long time, and I can tell you now for free that if your in any temperature below or approaching freezing and you start showering under cold water, you are not going to remain healthy for long. Heat your water and use a flannel or sponge. A cold shower on top of an already cold body? meh.... thats not a route I will be going down any time soon.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #36
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
A cold shower on top of an already cold body? meh.... thats not a route I will be going down any time soon.
That is such a good point, and I should have mentioned that when I was showering it is just after I get up, thus I am warm from getting out of bed.

If was already cold I would not cold shower.

Will edit OP.

A..
Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #37
freekatz
Avalon Senior Member

I'm investing in a solar panel for my hot water heater so hopefully I can avoid any discomfort
freekatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #38
Sol Invictus
Banned

Boil the water and sponge off.

problem solved, water conserved, and whats left in the pot (don't dip your sponge in the pot!) can be used for a brew, washing up and general use.

I can see alot of folks here have never lived 'really wild' for any time at all, because if they had, they would be telliing people how hard they strove to stay warm at all costs - its all gucci having a cold shower after a nice warm bed and then a warm breakfast sat in your central heated room, but when its frosted up windows time, your breath is visible in your 'room' and snow is on the ground, you will not I promise 100% want or be thankful for a cold shower.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:33 AM   #39
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
I can see alot of folks here have never lived 'really wild' for any time at all, because if they had, they would be telliing people how hard they strove to stay warm at all costs - its all gucci having a cold shower after a nice warm bed and then a warm breakfast sat in your central heated room, but when its frosted up windows time, your breath is visible in your 'room' and snow is on the ground, you will not I promise 100% want or be thankful for a cold shower.
I so get that image. You even made me feel cold reading that. I agree, its the last thing I would want.

Luckily I live in Australia, so its Gucci warm all the way here (But no real need for central heating).

A..
Old 11-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #40
Sol Invictus
Banned

Lucky ####.

I live in very unsunny and very wintery Inverness and believe me, from June to August I MIGHT take a cooler than usual shower.

I appreciate though that you who live in hot climates will get great benefits from cooling off every now and again.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #41
3rdEye
Avalon Senior Member

Ive been taking cold showers now for 5 days.... and i do get the numb fingers and toes also, I have been getting very irritated skin so I am starting to think it might not be so good for me? Maybe I should have the water slightly warmer? In saying all that, my skin does look a bit more even in tone, I have noticed a slight difference...

I'm not sure if I should continue with this or not!
3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #42
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

I've been doing it too for ~7-8 days. No shower this morning as it is saturday and I will have one later

It certainly wakes you up. My skin is fine.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:19 PM   #43
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

O.k. A.,

That's it for me.

I'm a wuss.

It's 20*F here and I just had another cold shower after juming out of a warm bed. Yikes!

My teeth are still chattering.

Fortunately though while scrubbing up in a hurry I remembered something I should have put in my first post here.

I've only used these things on summer campouts, but they'll heat the water just the same in winter as long as you've got a couple hours of sunlight. In the summer at least the water got almost unbearably hot.

With the compact, easy-to-stow Sun Shower, you can use the power of the sun to enjoy a hot shower at even the most remote, out-of-the-way locations. Simply fill the puncture- and tear-resistant four-ply bag with water and set it in the sun. An innovative TempTracker indicator tells you the internal water temperature.

So for all the other wusses out there, as long as we've got the sun, we've got a warm shower!
raulduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #44
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

I'm doing it for the health benefits and immune boosting benefits. I have cheated with the odd blast of hot then cold to hydro shock my body...

With my C1 bone aligned, my 9 amalgam fillings removed, distilled water, this and my virtually veggie diet I'm feeling good All I need now is for my water energier vortex jug to arrive and I'll be cooking on environmentally friendly gas....
Old 11-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #45
Kimmie
Avalon Senior Member

RAULDUKE,
I've spent many a day traveling by sailboat and the "sunshower bags" we used were the pleasure of everyone onboard. The ones we had were the same concept ad the one you showed, yet more crued ..they could have easily been punctured, the one you show is a vast improvement.

Yesterday I jumped in the shower, knowing I was in a rush, and hadn't waited for the water to get warm.

"AHHH, yeah..get used to cold showers"...I said to myself. The I remembered another post from someone else who said,.."I'll get used to cold showers when I have to, for now I'll enjoy the warn"....I enjoyed the warm shower yet was thankful that for today I have a choice. I take NOTHING in my life for granted...I've learned to be thankful for so many things.

And when our only choice is to have cold showers...then i will be thankful that i have a shower at all..as there will be others who don't even have water..Isn't life good.

Just a slow stream of water rolling across my fingers from a kitchen faucet or garden hose calms me and make me feel at ease!

WATER.. WHAT a GIFT

Kimmie
Kimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #46
Sol Invictus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdEye View Post
Ive been taking cold showers now for 5 days.... and i do get the numb fingers and toes also, I have been getting very irritated skin so I am starting to think it might not be so good for me? Maybe I should have the water slightly warmer? In saying all that, my skin does look a bit more even in tone, I have noticed a slight difference...

I'm not sure if I should continue with this or not!
Advice - Do not, I repeat DO NOT continue with the showers if your having circulation problems as you are. The numbness in the fingers and toes is a sign that your body is shutting down the blood supply to them and cannot cope with the cold.

Not only is this bad for your fingers and toes (no blood, no life energy) but its bad for you on a morale point of view too. You'll think 'but in a situation where there is no hot water...'

Just let me tell you this. When there is no plumbing, no luxuries, you'll heat water in a pot, pour some into a bowl, add a bit of cold water and sponge clean yourself. With WARM water.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #47
Sol Invictus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulduke View Post
O.k. A.,

So for all the other wusses out there, as long as we've got the sun, we've got a warm shower!

Great for summer and spring, and here is a tip - in winter time, scavenge some plexi glass or glass, and make a hanging green house and throw this up underneath it.

Works wonders as you create a micro climate for it.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #48
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Well I have kept up my cold showers.

Its raining today, and I can't do anything I wanted to right now.

I have just analysed my electricty bills. I can proudly state that over the year, our cold showers have resulted in a saving of 615 kWh of electrical power over the year!

A..
Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 AM   #49
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

I gave up after ~2 weeks not a wuss but just decided I'd paid for a boiler which is pretty good at heating the water and it has been cold here in the UK...