Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 01-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Baggywrinkle

Default For those who seek to prepare

I am on an email list for preparation topics hosted by
Jim Phillips, who with his father Gil pioneered the use
of foam clothing for cold weather use. A bad turn of
events forced his fledgling company out of business. Jim,
however, is still at it.

Those of you who might have an interest in obtaining
storable food or foam for making your own cold weather
clothing might find his most recent newsletter of interest.

Today's Topics
1- Events and Status
2- Discount on Ama-amA & The Expanded Pantry
3- Pasta for Less than Half Price
4- Foam Order Underway
5- Classes Coming

Events and Status

I’ve been working to communicate with everyone on what has happened with the company, however, I know some did not get the e-mail of December 27, 2008. Click here to read it. (This and other documents are located in the PrepareMyFamily.com Library)

My Mission Goes On
My focus is as it has always been; to educate and train families to be ready to face the future without fear. I will continue to do this through my two web pages www.jimsway.com (focused on cold weather, winter safety and FoamClothing™) and www.preparemyfamily.com (directed at all other aspects of Provident Living). I will also be teaching live classes at several nearby Utah locations and anywhere else my expenses will be covered. In addition I will be working on new DVDs and other instructional materials. See more below.

Where to Get “Stuff” (things you need)
Part of my training has always included acquiring the right things and where to get them. I test a lot of products for quality and performance as well as its respective value in your preparedness program.

Since we no longer have products at www.PrepareMyFamily.com, I will be directing you to other places where you can purchase the things I use, teach and recommend. Watch for e-mail announcements and links on both web sites. In many cases, when you use the coupon codes I give you, or the link from my web page, you will receive discounts when making a purchase, so be sure and take advantage of the discounts. Also tell others about them.

Discount on Ama-amA & The Expanded Pantry

TheExpandedPantry.com is the web page for Nutrition Science, LLC, the makers of the Ama-amA products. I’ve been using and promoting the Ama-amA products for years. The Ama-amA products are now sold under the new label of JAMA.

I love this stuff and eat it often –All natural ingredients, nutrient dense, balanced nutrition, made with Amaranth, great taste, quick and convenient to use. The JAMA nutritional products are simply terrific to store for the future and for everyday use. They are very popular with endurance athletes and nutrition gurus because of their phenomenal nutrient profile and exceptional taste!

If you are not familiar with these products, learn more about them by reading an article I wrote in March of 2007: Part-II of “Good Eats for Emergencies”. You can read Part-I and Part-III in the PrepareMyFamily.com Library.

The JAMA foods are less expensive than store bought cold cereals and nutrition bars, but much better tasting and infinitely more nutritious.

15% DISCOUNT
I have arranged for you to get 15% OFF products on the Expanded Pantry website. You will find many more great foods than just the JAMA line. This discount applies to all the foods on the web page except where noted. Go to TheExpandedPantry.com and select your items.

When you check out, enter Coupon Code: jimsway.com, if you forget that code, Jim Phillips also works. (This Coupon Code Discount is good until further notice.)

$20 Sample Pack
You want foods that are nutritious, store well and taste good. Often people just buy emergency foods not knowing what they actually taste like. They figure that when the time comes they’ll eat anything. I’ve tried some of those other emergency foods, and you will have to be real hungry. I’d never want to use them until there was no other choice.

The Expanded Pantry has foods you’ll find to be tasty and convenient to use now while camping, traveling and at home. They are more nutritious than store bought packaged foods and will store for extended periods. The $20 sample pack allows you to try everything in the 60-day unit. I highly recommend you do just that. The Sample Pack comes with a $20 coupon to use when you buy a 60-Day Unit, however, your jimsway.com Coupon Code will give you a much larger savings, be sure and use it instead. (The $20 sample pack is sold at below cost and is excluded from the 15% discount listed above.)

Great Company & Great Products
Let me share with you one of the reasons I’m always eager to promote Nutrition Science, LLC and TheExpandedPantry.com. I’ve known the owner since the early 1980’s. He has a track record of caring for people and their welfare. Nice words to just say, but actions speak the loudest. Here’s hard evidence that directly affects some of you receiving this e-mail.

Several weeks ago I explained to him what was happening to our company, and that many people had ordered Amaranth, which I would not be able to purchase and deliver to our customers. He told me he would fill those orders anyway (without being paid). The explanation: 1) Amaranth is an important product and people should have it, 2) He knew that I was going to get a customer service black eye as it was, and just didn’t want it to be any worse than necessary and, 3) he said “I’ve already bought the Amaranth, so we’ll go ahead and deliver it to your people that have paid for it.”

… Good people, with a fine company, and great products at very fair prices

Orem Will Call Pick Up
The Expanded Pantry has been an internet order/ direct ship store only. However, because of the number of people on the Wasatch Front who get my e-mails, they have agreed to experiment with limited Will Call times so you can save on shipping. Take immediate advantage of this and spread the word to those you know and it can become permanent. Be sure you tell your friends about the 15% jimsway.com discount.

Place your order at least 4 days in advance and select WILL CALL at check out!

These dates / times only as of this e-mail:
- Thursday - January 29 (3-6pm)
- Saturday - January 31 (10am-2pm)

They do not have a retail Store. Will Call is being offered as a savings for you

PLEASE DO NOT GO AT OTHER TIMES,
THE OFFICE WILL NOT BE OPEN TO HELP YOU!

Address: 165 North 1330 West, Suite B4, Orem, Utah 84057 Mapquest link to their warehouse: Take I-15 Orem Center Street Exit. Go West. Take the first right (1330 West). Go North about 2 blocks to building B (on the left). Enter the lane on the North side of Building B. Office B4 is at the west end of the building. Enter through the front, which faces north.

Bulk Products
There are a several bulk items not on their website and generally in-stock products that you will be able to buy without a pre-order at the warehouse only on the designated Will Call pick up times. The following are currently available (This offering will expand in the future.):
- 50# Diatomaceous Earth
- 50# Evaporated Cane Juice
- 50# Flax Seeds
- 50# Hulled Sunflower Seeds
- 50# Regular Rolled Oats
- 50# Powdered Whey
- 50# Sesame Seeds
- Sprouting Seeds Mix
- Super Spectrim Vitamin & Mineral Supplement

More Items Coming
I’ve been talking to Nutrition Science about making available some important, but not so common items that people need to round out their nutritional needs. I’ll let you know about these new items as they become available: Amaranth, Quinoa, Powdered Molasses, Grape Seed Oil, Unflavored Gelatin, Tomato Powder, Powdered Chicken & Beef Broth, and more. Watch for e-mail announcements.

Pasta at Better Than Half Price

My son Steve and his partner purchased several semi-loads of different kinds of pasta. It comes in bulk boxes of from 12 to 45 pounds, depending on the type. He sells most of it for 75˘ a pound; less than half the price of most pasta in stores. He also has some organic and whole-wheat pasta for just $1 per pound (average store price of $2.40).

Tell Steve that Jim Phillips sent you, and he’ll take 10% OFF your order. Put together a group order with family and friends for 10 or more boxes and he’ll take off 10˘ per pound more. This sale is first come first serve until the pasta is gone or the first week of February.

Currently Available:
Cavatappi Rotini Orzo Penne Rigate Acine De Pepe Stars
Casserole Lasagna Riccioli Linguini Medium Shells Alphabets
Salad Macaroni Ditalini Wide Egg Noodles Rainbow Bowties Egg Bows

While supplies last, you can pick it up at Emmit’s and Ethel’s restaurant located at 90 East Main in Lehi (south side of the road). Take the Lehi Main street exit – Go West. Mapquest Link to the restaurant.

Store hours for pasta pickup are 1 to 7 pm M-F and 10 to 3 on Saturday. Contact Steve Phillips stjjjp@jahoo.com, cell phone (801) 404-7785.

Foam

A Number of People Are Asking for Foam. Sarah, who was taking care of orders before, will be supplying do-it-yourself items. She is starting with foam and boot kits; other materials will be coming in the future.

Foam has to be bought by the truckload, which is about 1,000 sheets of ˝” foam. Time is short to pull this off, so get your request in quickly. You will be able to pick up your foam in Utah County.

This shipment cannot be brought in until a full truckload is paid for, so spread the word quickly.

(What I’m about to say could be misinterpreted, please don’t overreact. However, it is important to look calmly at things as they really are. It is not as if foam is going away, it’s just that our choices will probably become very limited and less than ideal in the near future.)

I am very concerned about being able to get the right quality foam in the future.

The vast majority of foam manufacturers make foam for non-critical applications such as furniture, packaging, airplane seats, automobile seats and recreational vehicle cushions, etc. There has been a massive turn-down in all of these areas which seriously affects the entire foam industry. As the economy declines some foam manufactures will go out of business or quit producing the type of foam needed for FoamClothing™ and PALS™.

I’m very concerned about how long we will have access to this particular foam, which is the best I can find. Availability and price could be seriously affected at anytime for a variety of reasons:
>> Oil prices are down, but so is the demand for foam and the economic advantages of large scale production. For this reason the price has not come down.
>> We use only a pittance of the production of this particular foam. If other users cut way back, it may prove unprofitable to make this particular product and it could be dropped all together.
>> The process and equipment to make this foam are unique and only exists at one plant. There are other foams, but I have not found one as durable.
>> I’ve twice visited the facility that makes this foam, which is located in a part of the country that is very susceptible to mischief in these unstable times.

It is my hope to get as much as possible into the hands of as many people as possible, just in case things change drastically in the future. I’d really like to see several truckloads brought in, so please help spread the word quickly.

I’d hoped that the price might have come down with the drop in oil process, but it has not for reasons cited above. Until further notice the prices for this high quality foam are:
- 1/2” Soft x 88” x 96” @ $34 ea (Inner thermal Liners, indoor booties, hats and mittens)
- 1” Soft x 88” x 96” @ $65 ea (PALS shirt, pants, hats, mittens, 3 season bag, fold up sock)
- 1.5” Soft x 88” x 96” @ $95 ea (PALS Arctic boots and Sleeping Bags)
- 1” FIRM x 82”x76” @ $54 ea (a full sheet makes three Moisture Handling Pads)

Need more info on making foam clothing? Send an email to bootkitsarah@yahoo.com

Sarah needs to tally up the foam order by Friday, Jan. 30th, so e-mail your sheet count to bootkitsarah@yahoo.com right away. As soon as there is enough to fill the truck, Sarah will get back with you to finalize your order, so help spread the word quickly.

Once finalized, your order will have to be paid for in advance by check, cash or money order. (She can take a credit card, if needed.) She will have to pay for the entire load in advance so your timely response will speed up the process.

There is a narrow window to get this done, otherwise it may be a few months before she can get more foam in. There’s no way to predict what price and availability will be like in the future.

Classes Coming

People are Asking for Classes; I’m starting to teach again. Very shortly there’ll be a calendar of events up on both JimsWay.com and PrepareMyFamily.com. Watch for e-mails on the classes.

January 31st I’ll be teaching two classes in Salt Lake, one of them will be on FoamClothing. February 14th I’ll be teaching a class on alternative fuels, heat, light and solar in Salem plus Q&A about FoamClothing™ afterwards.

However, what I need from you right away is to know what you want me to teach? Send your class priority vote to classes@preparemyfamily.com. Put in the subject line “CLASSES” and then tell me the subjects you want most. Please indicate where you live and how many people you will commit to have at the class. I’ll begin with the high demand classes, so be sure and vote.

Here are some of the choices, but don’t be limited to this list:
Water Special Needs
Sheltering In Place Pandemic
Wellness Surviving Against All Odds
PALS Boots PALS 1” Clothing
PALS Sleeping System PALS Mittens/ Hats/ Booties
Heat/ Light/ Fuel Nutrition
Shelter Sanitation (until the DVD is released)
Tools for Long Term Survival WOFOS – Living outside in winter
Winter Safety & Cold Weather Injury Avoidance
Using Solar Energy for Power and Space Heating
and anything else you want to suggest.

I have a request to teach in the Logan area. I’ll go anyplace where there will be 50 or more people and my travel expenses are covered.

For people at great distance without a group to bring me in, I’m working on developing the ability to teach via the internet. Hopefully this will be in place by spring.

New things are regularly coming up on both web pages, so keep checking them and sending people to them. I’ll keep regular announcements going to everyone.

Let me know how I can be of service to you, and if you have ways to help spread the word. Thanks for all of your support and friendship.

One last note; At the moment I’m a staff of one working 16/6 on publishing information, teaching classes, answering technical questions and cleaning up the past. Please be patient on getting replies to some of your questions.

Good things happening though. I’m not bored, and this is quite and exciting adventure.

Have a terrific day,

Jim

preparemyfamily.com
Jimsway.com
Old 01-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
NorthernSanctuary
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: For those who seek to prepare

Very useful information.. will look into it for the coming year. Thank-you /Wayne
NorthernSanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote