Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #51
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Re: Daily Solar Status and how to protect oneself

CME LASHES OUT (MARCH 5, 2010)
This is one of the brightest and most substantial CMEs we have seen in several years. And the presence of such bright prominence material in COR1 is very rare and has only been seen twice before.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #52
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Woah..

http://sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov/cgi-..._movie_theater

Old 03-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #53
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

The comet that slammed into the sun yesterday was about 3 times the size of Jupiter.

Check Lasco 2 c12

It happened on the 12th.. look at around 23.30 pm (11 pm time)

Last edited by Carol; 03-13-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #54
gibonos
Avalon Senior Member

Hey Carol check this guy, with atronometry http://www.youtube.com/user/astrotometry

They predict earth events based on solar activity, very interesting.

gibonos
gibonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #55
twoRone
Avalon Senior Member

this may not be there long,, but check out the two whatchamacallits leaving on the 12th entering the sun at oh around 19.47 degrees..LOL... I saved a copy to my drive

http://soho.esac.esa.int/data/LATEST/current_c3.mpg

enjoy...
twoRone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #56
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

thank you so much
Old 03-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #57
Majorion
Avalon Senior Member

Carol, you've done a wonderful job with this thread.
Loads of info about the Sun, I was quite astounded.

Thank you,,
Majorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:35 AM   #58
bashi
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
[IMG]
CME LASHES OUT (MARCH 5, 2010)
This is one of the brightest and most substantial CMEs we have seen in several years. And the presence of such bright prominence material in COR1 is very rare and has only been seen twice before.
Nice work Carol !

Can you give the source of that picture ? Couldnt find it on SOHO
bashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #59
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Star Predicted to Blast Through the Solar System.. a bit off in the future but interesting.

In 1.5 million years time, the solar system could be in for a rough ride.
An orange dwarf star named Gliese 710 is powering in our direction and an astronomer has calculated an 86 percent chance of the interstellar interloper smashing through the Oort Cloud, located in the outermost reaches of our solar system.

This could have the devastating effect of scattering the icy Oort Cloud objects (or OCOs), causing them to plunge toward the sun and the inner planets, potentially bombarding Earth with comets.

Vadim Bobylev of the Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in St Petersburg has published revised calculations of local star positions and velocities to arrive at this prediction.

In 1997, the European Space Agency's Hipparcos spacecraft analyzed data from 100,000 stars, compiling what is known as the Hipparcos Catalogue. 156 of these local stars are of particular interest to astronomers as the sun was thought to be a lot closer to them in the past and there is a high possibility they will make a close approach again.
In a paper submitted to the arXiv preprint service, Bobylev has combined the catalogue data with new star databases and discovered nine new stars that will buzz past the sun in the future or have done so in the past.

But one star has raised a red flag. Gliese 710 is out there and it wants to "play chicken" with our sun. Unfortunately, neither star will be able to steer out of the way at last minute.
Judging by its trajectory, there's an 86 percent chance the star will punch through the Oort Cloud (thought to be located about 50,000 AU -- or nearly a light-year -- from the sun). This may sound like a flesh wound, a near miss in cosmological distances, but any gravitational interaction with the huge chunks of cometary nuclei in the outermost extent of the solar system is bad news.

It is hypothesized that close encounters of the stellar kind have kicked OCOs out of the Oort Cloud in the past, creating some of the long period comets we see today, such as comet Hale Bopp. It is also thought that such encounters could periodically cause mass extinction events on Earth through comet impacts.

Although the star -- currently located 63 light years from Earth and approximately half the mass of our sun -- has been known to be heading for us for some time, this is the first time such a high probability for a close encounter has been calculated.

But could Gliese 710 penetrate even deeper into the solar system? Possibly, although those odds are more cheery. The chances of the star reaching as deep as the Kuiper Belt (near the orbit of Pluto) is around 1 in 1000.

This might not be an imminent threat, and it's debatable whether any human descendants will be watching the cosmic flyby, it's nice to know when the next risk of comet bombardment may occur. Although I doubt we'd be able to do much about it anyway.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:12 AM   #60
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Avalon Senior Member

some intersting observations from nasa.. im not heavy on solar physics. heres the link anyway.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...nveyorbelt.htm
pineal-pilot-in merkabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #61
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

The issue is this.. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7012205.ece

This article is from February 2010 - please pay attention

Scientists warned yesterday that a peak in solar activity is due to occur in 2012, risking the disruption of television and internet networks during the London Olympic Games.

“The Olympics could be bang in the middle of a solar maximum,” said Richard Harrison, of the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Oxfordshire, speaking before the launch this week of Nasa’s Solar Dynamics Observatory.

It has long been known that surges in solar activity can cause disruption in satellite and terrestrial communications systems, but, until now, it has been almost impossible to predict solar storms in advance.

After the launch of Nasa’s solar observatory, scientists say that they will be able to give warning of magnetic storms and solar flares.

rest if article continued at link above.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #62
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post

It has long been known that surges in solar activity can cause disruption in satellite and terrestrial communications systems, but, until now, it has been almost impossible to predict solar storms in advance.

After the launch of Nasa’s solar observatory, scientists say that they will be able to give warning of magnetic storms and solar flares.
Maybe people in the establishment who have the wherewithal to do something to prevent or prepare for this will take notice...

I am of the opinion that that is what's necessary.

Military personnel, expertise, and equipment around the world should be used for this rather than making war.
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #63
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seashore View Post
Maybe people in the establishment who have the wherewithal to do something to prevent or prepare for this will take notice...

I am of the opinion that that is what's necessary.

Military personnel, expertise, and equipment around the world should be used for this rather than making war.
isnt the solar flare an act of god? is this planet not in need of cleansing. i assume the more war and tension is produced by tptb then the solar flare will respond in equel measure. if we attain peace and tranquility then perhaps the flare will be like a happy pat on the back from the sun.
pineal-pilot-in merkabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #64
Peace of mind
Avalon Senior Member

I’m sure there is some vital information in these Solar flares that is to be absorbed thru the skin. In ancient scriptures and hieroglyphics there’s just too much attention on the Sun. What ever is happening with the Sun I’m not worried at all. I welcome every sunny day and solar flair into my body. To worry is to have guilt or know you are not worthy of greatness. I never used sun screen and I never will. This is my Sun and my planet…it loves me, so there is no need to protect my self from it, and I never will.

Peace
Peace of mind is offline   Reply With Quote