Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Irving
Avalon Senior Member

Default DMT and altered states of consciousness

I am currently reading Dr. Rick Strassman's DMT: The Spirit Molecule. Very interesting read.

For anybody who is unfamiliar with the book and Strassman's work, it is essentially about his professional inquiry into the psychedelic effects of DMT in over 60 volunteers between the years of 1990 and 1995.

It is the only government approved study to ever have been performed and it took Dr Strassman many years to finally get all of the permits and permission that he needed to stay legal.

DMT is a natural substance that is profoundly psychedelic and is found in various plants and is also found in the human body. Strassman quite reasonably suspects it's production to be in the pineal gland. The human brain readily intakes and uses up intravenous or smoked DMT and easily allows it to cross through the blood brain barrier.

The fact that the human brain readily processes DMT is very intriguing because the blood brain barrier allows the transfer of very few substances to enter the brain. So it is quite rightful to say that the human mind hungers DMT and gladly processes it in order to bring a subject into an altered state of consciousness.

An altered state of conciousness brought on by a 0.4 mg/kg dose of DMT peaks at about the 2 minutes mark and subjects feel as though they are coming down at about 5 minutes and typically feel returned to normal awareness around 30 minutes. So it is a very short lived, though intensive, psychedelic.

I have personally experimented with psilocybin mushrooms, LSD and mescaline in the past, which all contain DMT, but have never tried raw DMT and am very curious about the nature of this substance and it's effects. My attitude is from a very mature standpoint, I don't wish to give the impression that I'm trying to glorify drug usage. Does anybody have any experiences, insights or stories with DMT and the altered states of consciousness that it assists the mind in producing?

I have also recently read Graham Hancock's Supernatural: Meetings With The Ancient Teachers Of Mankind and I thought that it was a revolutionary work in the professional and highly educated literature of altered states of consciousness. Highly recommended.
Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
xenomorph
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: DMT and altered states of consciousness

Irving,

I too have read DMT: The Spirit Molecule and found it to be very fascinating. It was somewhat inspiring in that I have often thought of pursuing a similar experiment with salvinorin from Salvia divinorum to see what the outcome would be given that Salvinorin is allegedly even more potent than DMT.

Like you, I have used psilocybin mushrooms, LSD, and mescaline-containing cacti. Take note, however, that none of these three things are equivalent to DMT nor do they contain DMT. Psilocybin, LSD, and mescaline are all three molecules unique and different from DMT.

My experiences with DMT have been in the form of ingesting, both orally and anally, the brewed mixture of Peganum harmala seed and Mimosa hostilis rootbark. After a very pleasant initial experience with this mixture, I have tried several times since to recreate the easily integrated bliss and joy of that first time that allowed for conscious physical functioning. Each time since I have had rather difficult side effects. This led to my trying the enema method I referenced above. While I did not vomit---I also did not vomit the first time---I felt as if something needed to be released that never was. It was, however, a much more pleasant experience than when vomiting was a component. Rest assured, however, that there was an eventual bowel evacuation before the intense effects took hold.

Other than during the initial experience, I have been alone and have focused on closing my eyes and embarking on an inward journey of visions and messages---a more meditative, focused state. The last time (the enema) was very intense, and I spent at least an hour of the peak experience supine on my futon in a state that could only be described as out-of-body. I could not tell if my eyes were open or closed, I could not tell if my heart were beating, and I could not notice myself breathing. There was a sense of pure consciousness that I transcended my physical body in awareness. That is the best way I can put it into words. It was not a terrifying experience but intense and meaningful. There was a distinct message of it not being my time to depart this dimension, realm, frequency, what-have-you and that I had things yet to accomplish. An ongoing theme of mine is a feeling of being lost, not belonging, and being out of place among the current human paradigm, mind you, so this message was viewed as supportive and encouraging.

Recently, I have acquired Banisteriopsis caapi and Psychotria viridis and intend to get to know this combination in the near future. From what I have read on the Internet about others' experiences, the P. harmala can be more physically unpleasant, when used as the MAOI component, than the B. caapi. Many times the negative side effects I mentioned above were in the form of intense headaches and/or lingering nausea after any pleasant effects had worn off. These negative side effects often lasted much longer than any euphoric effects.

I have never smoked/vaporized DMT, but from what I have heard from friends and Internet descriptions, my enema experience was pretty close to the intensity of direct inhalation. In general, I should say that the enema experience was overall the most intense, free of side effects, and the method I shall choose again.

Oral DMT admixtures seem to be generally more physically unpleasant than psilocybin, LSD, or mescaline. If you choose to orally ingest DMT, be prepared for possible vomiting accompanied by a most intensely unpleasant feeling that is immediately followed by feelings of lightness and euphoria. Before using DMT in any form, I suggest doing exhaustive research into others' experiences, which I am sure you already have do. Keep us all posted on your experience(s). You are sure to learn something in the process.

Peace,

Xeno
xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
SiriArc
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor

http://forum.noblerealms.org/viewtopic.php?id=4283

A few years before reading Juan’s reference to the ‘foreign instillation’, Marciniak’s Ps had talked about something ‘placed’ in the back of the head that limited perception.......

WE know that DMT is Naturally Produced

But then almost immediately zapped by Monoamine Oxidase.......

So that WE, As The Living Library

Have been walled off, only able to access the ‘magazine’ section of ‘reality’.......

Mystify
SiriArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

We actually used this in psychotherapy and tried it ourselves prior to it becoming illegal. The first time one uses DMT is the best experience if it is set up correctly because that is the first and last big usage of serotonin stored within the brain. DMT depletes the serotonin and those who use DMT repeatedly tend to end up in a profound depression. The experience while being on DMT can become highly addictive and some of the neuropathways can become damaged later where memory may become a bit impaired.

However, the experience also opens up the heart chakra and can be beneficial if done in the right therapeutic or spiritual context. During my experience I walked through the veil between this world and the next. I could easily see the timelines (forward and backwards) of why things were the way they were and experience a profound understanding and perspective of the reason things were they way they were.

DMT works really well to dissolve emotional blocks within interpersonal relationships and just one time using it can open a doorway to years of exploration and integration of consciousness at multiple levels. There is more I could add but this is enough for now.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
xenomorph
Avalon Senior Member

Carol,

I think you might be confusing MDMA with DMT.

Xeno
xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenomorph View Post
Carol,

I think you might be confusing MDMA with DMT.

Xeno
I think you might be right Xeno.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 AM   #7
Irving
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenomorph View Post
Irving,

I too have read DMT: The Spirit Molecule and found it to be very fascinating. It was somewhat inspiring in that I have often thought of pursuing a similar experiment with salvinorin from Salvia divinorum to see what the outcome would be given that Salvinorin is allegedly even more potent than DMT.

Like you, I have used psilocybin mushrooms, LSD, and mescaline-containing cacti. Take note, however, that none of these three things are equivalent to DMT nor do they contain DMT. Psilocybin, LSD, and mescaline are all three molecules unique and different from DMT.

My experiences with DMT have been in the form of ingesting, both orally and anally, the brewed mixture of Peganum harmala seed and Mimosa hostilis rootbark. After a very pleasant initial experience with this mixture, I have tried several times since to recreate the easily integrated bliss and joy of that first time that allowed for conscious physical functioning. Each time since I have had rather difficult side effects. This led to my trying the enema method I referenced above. While I did not vomit---I also did not vomit the first time---I felt as if something needed to be released that never was. It was, however, a much more pleasant experience than when vomiting was a component. Rest assured, however, that there was an eventual bowel evacuation before the intense effects took hold.

Other than during the initial experience, I have been alone and have focused on closing my eyes and embarking on an inward journey of visions and messages---a more meditative, focused state. The last time (the enema) was very intense, and I spent at least an hour of the peak experience supine on my futon in a state that could only be described as out-of-body. I could not tell if my eyes were open or closed, I could not tell if my heart were beating, and I could not notice myself breathing. There was a sense of pure consciousness that I transcended my physical body in awareness. That is the best way I can put it into words. It was not a terrifying experience but intense and meaningful. There was a distinct message of it not being my time to depart this dimension, realm, frequency, what-have-you and that I had things yet to accomplish. An ongoing theme of mine is a feeling of being lost, not belonging, and being out of place among the current human paradigm, mind you, so this message was viewed as supportive and encouraging.

Recently, I have acquired Banisteriopsis caapi and Psychotria viridis and intend to get to know this combination in the near future. From what I have read on the Internet about others' experiences, the P. harmala can be more physically unpleasant, when used as the MAOI component, than the B. caapi. Many times the negative side effects I mentioned above were in the form of intense headaches and/or lingering nausea after any pleasant effects had worn off. These negative side effects often lasted much longer than any euphoric effects.

I have never smoked/vaporized DMT, but from what I have heard from friends and Internet descriptions, my enema experience was pretty close to the intensity of direct inhalation. In general, I should say that the enema experience was overall the most intense, free of side effects, and the method I shall choose again.

Oral DMT admixtures seem to be generally more physically unpleasant than psilocybin, LSD, or mescaline. If you choose to orally ingest DMT, be prepared for possible vomiting accompanied by a most intensely unpleasant feeling that is immediately followed by feelings of lightness and euphoria. Before using DMT in any form, I suggest doing exhaustive research into others' experiences, which I am sure you already have do. Keep us all posted on your experience(s). You are sure to learn something in the process.

Peace,

Xeno
That was a great response Xeno. Thanks for sharing that.
Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
SiriArc
Avalon Senior Member

Arrow Carol

Quote:
During my experience I walked through the veil between this world and the next. I could easily see the timelines (forward and backwards) of why things were the way they were and experience a profound understanding and perspective of the reason things were they way they were.
Mights Thou Expandeth Upon .......

Regardless of the various triggers,

Those Empathic Dreaming Shamans

Bring Forth States Of Awareness

Which Enable Others To Began Perceiving / Conceiving

Through The Mists Of Belief

Source Intent / Mistique
Old 04-03-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
SiriArc
Avalon Senior Member

Arrow Carol

Edit to delete PA's doubleing the above post.

Last edited by SiriArc; 04-03-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Default Re: Carol

I had experiences with several drugs way back in the 70s: Lsd , grass and mushrooms .
I was reading Castaneda's books at the time and this is what motivated me in taking these substances.
They all have been an eye opener as to what the physical universe is and how to perceive it through several points of view. The energy pervading matter is so magnified that it's solidity fades away from your senses.
They have not been an Heart opener though . This I experienced through meditation and also maybe because these times we are living make it more easy and possible than ever before .

Once I got into meditation I never got interested again to take any of these drugs .
I reached higher states of awareness without them but taking them has been an interesting experience nevertheless.

Love Always
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote