Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Matthew delooze:website battle faiure!Dec 8th.

Just received this email from Matthew Delooze:

Hello,

It appears i am sadly losing the battle to hold on to my website. it appears it will be fully shut down very soon for good.
My news pages have been shut down already

My host has informed me that unless i upgrade to a dedicated server. (a few hundred quid a month) then i have to shut down. i haven't got it and never have had it.

i am in the middle of moving my material to oneballradio but i did intend to keep this site going. i will lose my Independence and something tells me that is not a good thing even though i know oneball is a very very good home for my work.

my site is using a lot of cpu at times and despite receiving expert help i have failed to stop this happening.
I simply haven't the support.

if any people with servers out there thinks they can help (without me using too much cpu)

then please let me know

events in recent weeks have caused me to question my actions and my direction. Things have been a big struggle and its times like these when you find out that friends you thought you have are not really friends at all.

if anyone has any advice on how i can reduce cpu and get on another cheap host then i would be grateful for any advice.

if the site is shut down in the next day or two then please use

matthew@oneballradio.com
or
matthewdelooze@aol.com

to contact me. my email address will be shut down too you see

If the site is going to die then i'd like to take this opportunity, whilst I can, to thank the 'two lovely lorraine's' and Rupert for being the only three people to ever send me a donation during my time here. I'm sure you will be rewarded for your kindness. Well I'm more than sure.

I'd also like to thank all those folks who contacted me with news and views and chat and jokes and banter etc, you all know who you are and you all have a special place in my heart for supporting me on this site with your comments and good wishes.

There are a few special souls that lifted me, I won't embarrass you by naming you, but you have gained a piece of my heart and I am always here for you should you need me.

I send my apologies to you all for my failures.

May Love Reign O'er you all

Matthew Delooze

8th December 2008
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
feardia
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Matthew delooze:website battle faiure!Dec 8th.

I think we need a tech expert here on avalon to take a look at matt's site and make recommendations, I think if he converts to html instead of php it will make things a lot easier, at least thats what some 18 year old told me, otherwise we'll have to sign him up for bebo.
Any nerds check it out and let us know the craic http://matthewdelooze.co.uk/viewpage.php?page_id=2
feardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
RubyTuesday
Avalon Senior Member

I REALLY like his site- today was my first visit. I agree w/pp- there has to be a way to keep it going using a different format or perhaps a different host?
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Hey Mate,
First I've heard of this? I was not aware of your site nor dire situation? Please hang in there! If you go down, then we'll have to find another way? Lets see if any geeks here can help. I'm willing to subscribe (I just took a peek at your link.) I rather give it to you than say coasttocoast! gio
giovonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #5
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

get matthew to get in touch with
rebecca@journeyswithrebecca.com

maybe she can get him on her show

then he'd sell a lot of books

where is his donate button

with over 250,000 hits / he ought to be able to run ads off his site

what about his subscriber base ?
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
ucan
Avalon Senior Member

I've only just seen this thread, I may be able to be of some assitance.

if you checkout
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...wdelooze.co.uk
you'll see some of the archive - but it only goes back to January this year.

and
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/tr...wdelooze.co.uk
shows the general rankings of the site.

It's quite a young site and it's not "massively" hit, but obviously hosted with the wrong method/on the wrong server for this many visitors - webmasters often host many sites using a database to store the page contents and they overload them or do not put any balancing into the system.

I also suspect that the site has been hit with a DOS attack - i.e. a robot websurfer is just pulling random pages all the time, it's not impossible to stop and this would account for the high cpu usage on the database as it doesn't look like the pages do any "processing" - just displaying content, there are many ways to stop this but would require an informed/creative webmaster to do this "on the cheap" - monitoring the log files and create protective rules/balancing procedures accordingly - but you don't get this with a cheap shared hosting solution.

I hope mathew has a backup/local copy of all the data.

I can give some free advice - but this site has obviously moved on from a "personal" site and would require financial backing to keep it going...
ucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks ucan i have passed your info. on to him.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi Antaletriangle,

Inform your friend that Atomic Hosting http://www.atomic-hosting.net is REALLY cheap and has been my host over the last two years without so much as a problem to worry about.

Best regards,

Steve
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Cheers Steve; will do mate!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #10
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

This is the reply from Matthew to those who have offered help-this is the problem:
hello mate,

the problem is also the website which was attacked and botted and all sorts..

it does not matter what server i use at the moment as the same problem is there-

i am going to try and sort in in the future but the damage is already done and difficult to repair in many ways.

thanks wayne..

best
matt
Old 12-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Matt's site was having probs about a year ago i told him this, when the members posted articles we were getting some really strange links coming up alongside our writing.
Was thrown off loads of times.
I think he has some real probs with hackers,powers that be are making things hard for him, as usual when the word gets out that certain info makes sense down comes the hand! and slap your out!

Matt's work can be followed on the Oneball radio web site i think all his stuff has now been put on there, you can look in but afraid there is only limited forum posts, but worth a look.
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah i made a post on oneball radio here yesterday i think.