Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

View Poll Results: Have you any martial arts training - if so how much
No - None 19 27.94%
Yes: 0-24 months 15 22.06%
Yes: 2-9 years 20 29.41%
Yes: 10-20 years 9 13.24%
20 + years : OR senior mastery (teaches /grades black belts) 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Question Martial Arts - Have you trained or not?

I read in another thread about Martial Arts and it set me thinking I wonder how many people on this forum have martial arts training? (I'd guess quite a few).

In my case several years of Wu Shu Kwan Kung Fu - I blame David Carradine and the TV series Kung Fu in the 70's for that little diversion I learned it before the UK had all the martial arts registered and licensed by the "Martial Arts Commission". I decided not to do the blackbelt grading (even though I was ready) because I didn't want to go on the black belt register.

There has always been a strong link between sprituality and martial arts in my experience.

Please take the pop quiz and discuss.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
TRANCOSO
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Martial Arts - Have you trained or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
I read in another thread about Martial Arts and it set me thinking I wonder how many people on this forum have martial arts training? (I'd guess quite a few).

In my case several years of Wu Shu Kwan Kung Fu - I blame David Carradine and the TV series Kung Fu in the 70's for that little diversion I learned it before the UK had all the martial arts registered and licensed by the "Martial Arts Commission". I decided not to do the blackbelt grading (even though I was ready) because I didn't want to go on the black belt register.

There has always been a strong link between sprituality and martial arts in my experience.

A..
That's new to me. Why is that?
TRANCOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Im from the UK. One day (in the 1980's) we were all given forms that we had to sign and send in to get our little MAC cards. I dont know why. I dont know if it is current practise still.

In the UK, if you were on the black belt-register, theoretically you could be more likely to be held to be an offensive weapon rather than just brawling. Not that I ever did that, but I didn't like the idea that one day I could be defending myself, the next moment finding myself being prosecuted for attempted murder just because I punched some lowlife into hospital [1]

A..

[1] This characterizes the way I used to think - not how I think/behave today. I did eventually grow-up.... a bit.

Last edited by Anchor; 02-09-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

Cool thread Anchor. I'm interested to see the results of the poll too.

I started "rolling" brazillian jiu-jitsu a awhile ago. I earned my blue belt under 10th planet no gi jiu-jitsu within about 10 months, but unfortunately had to leave that gym after moving. I've been bouncing around a few mixed martial arts gyms for awhile now but I'm hoping to return to 10th planet soon to demonstrate for my purple belt.

I've learned a few different disciplines on the periphery; boxing, muay thai, vale tudo, but the striking martial arts never interested me as much as grappling and jiu-jitsu. Even though I'm a fairly big guy, I always liked the idea of a defensive martial art that can negate size, and most street fights aren't exactly boxing matches with the kingsbury rules! If you're in a street fight with a jiu-jitsu player and have no grappling or submission experience, you'll likey be asleep in a very short time.

That said, most of the people I've met in mma gyms, the serious guys, are the very least provocable. They're the absolute last ones to engage in any "street" physical confrontation and even then it's as minimal as possible. There is indeed a spiritual aspect involved that I've personally benefited from. Respect is huge, not just for people but for the art.
raulduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #5
stal
Avalon Senior Member

i've learnt bits and pieces of different styles since i was about 5 years old. always wished i'd done more grappling though.
stal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:06 AM   #6
TRANCOSO
Avalon Senior Member

My style is Wado Kai, which is a defensive 'no contact' form of karate. 'No contact' is actually more difficult than 'full contact'.
I've learned to recognize trouble from miles away, and how to avoid it. But if in doubt, knock 'm out.
And always strike first.
Knee caps, or in the worst possible scenario, the eyes.

I've used my skills once, and I must admit, it's the best adrinaline rush I've ever felt.

Peace!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
Shaynard
Avalon Senior Member

~Be water my friend~

This meant much more than the physical ideas.

The connection between Martial Arts and spirituality can be no different than becoming some sort of "minister" for a Religious group. If you're doing it correctly, and from your heart.. You will find much more than health and skills to defend yourself with.

In light, of love
Shaynard
Shaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
lucrum
Avalon Senior Member

I trained Tae Kwon Do for a while when younger, for a couple of years until I hurt myself (in a seperate event) and had to quit for a while. During that time my club went under.

Later I had a visit to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but only for a few months. I had increasing troubles with my ancle, so I had to stop doing much at all.

Would love to do something like that again, but it means I will have to travel to be able to. There is nowhere to train around here now.
lucrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
john-d
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah , i did jeet kon do , Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and mma for a few years . Cagefighting was a passion of mine for quite a while . Im a fluffy bunny now though with a very different outlook thanks to the 'Ra material'
john-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Check this out

Chi Kung

Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #11
TRANCOSO
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-d View Post
Yeah , i did jeet kon do , Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and mma for a few years . Cagefighting was a passion of mine for quite a while . Im a fluffy bunny now though with a very different outlook thanks to the 'Ra material'
Who taught you Jeet Kun Do? This Kung Fu/Tai Chi style, developed by Bruce Lee, is very rare & practiced by few.
And what is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? A mix of Capuera & Japanese Jiu Jitsu, perhaps?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
Greetings
Avalon Senior Member

I did Tae Kwon Do when i was younger, but can't say i remember much to use instinctually.

I did take Judo when i was in college a couple years ago, and that definitely broke some barriers for me.

After that I got really serious on the "route sending" rock climbing scene, and watched my body transform before me.

I now practice Qigong sets and work with energy flow + ashtanga vinyassa yoga - but im kinda just going at my own pace. I'd like to see what i'm capable of in a spar now.

Overall, I'd have to give it to the climbing/Movement meditation (Qigung) - it changed how i operate my body, from such a simple thing as grabbing a door handle or using a fork.

I also play piano, and with my resignation in the party-play business (ever seen eyes wide shut?) i've come to think ive got some deadly hands if it ever came to it.
Greetings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
gita
Avalon Senior Member

I trained in kickboxing which also incorporated wrestling, Kung Fu, jiu-jitsu, thai, Tae Kwon Do... It was hard going but the skills stay with you for a life time. My sensei also trained us in Kukri and Japanese swords which were my favourite. I got my daughter into training since she was four years old and now she’s twelve and is a first dan. Here’s a youtube vid of her. She’s the taller one and sparing with a boy.

gita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #14
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANCOSO View Post
Who taught you Jeet Kun Do? This Kung Fu/Tai Chi style, developed by Bruce Lee, is very rare & practiced by few.
And what is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? A mix of Capuera & Japanese Jiu Jitsu, perhaps?
Brazillian Jiu Jitsu seems to be quite popular in Australia - it is the Jiu Jitsu made famous by the Gracie family - derivative of Japanese style ground fighting experts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Jiu-Jitsu
Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi Anchor,

I trained traditional Kung Fu (Shaolin do Norte) for four years. I took time out and I'm back in the gym to get me back up to strength (or trying to!) so I can get back in the saddle so's to speak.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:

A..
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #16
Malletzky
Avalon Senior Member

I have trained carate in my youth (I was 8-12 years old, one of the youngest brownbelt carrier back then) and even if I wanted to do the blackbelt grading (my coach said I was ready), I wasn't allowed to, as I wasn't 14 years old (don't ask me why, they told me this and I had to accept).

So I decided to quit and I almost became a professional football (soccer) player...

But, what left from these early years of training is really an astonishing body coordination, which helps me a lot thru my life...

malletzky
Malletzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #17
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Anchor,

yes, for me, it's Tai chi (why of course!... check out my Avatar )

I practice the Lee Family style, which is a bit different to the more popular Yang style.

I love it. Some say it's the ultimate martial art (Tai chi means 'supreme ultimate'... although it's also the name for what we also call the yin-yang symbol). I think the video below proves this...

Kulapops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #18
gita
Avalon Senior Member

Kula you is so funny man. :ro ll1:
gita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
es7ter
Avalon Senior Member

1 week of Judo at age 12. No kidding. Too funny even to mention it. I was the fattest kid in the whole class. You can imagine it was a train going nowhere fast.
It would be good to get some training, but I would much prefer fencing and archery, these two I’ve been contemplating taking up. Mix it with horse riding and I am a modern day heroine in the making.
Much respect to all of you my fellow Avalonians, great subject! Thanks for having me here.
es7ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #20
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Brazillian Jiu Jitsu seems to be quite popular in Australia - it is the Jiu Jitsu made famous by the Gracie family - derivative of Japanese style ground fighting experts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Jiu-Jitsu
Yeah it's starting to get some attention here in the states as well. Brazillian jiu-jitsu as I understand it was adapted from the Japanese style to be more aggressive. The Gracie family took it leaps and bounds in the early 90's creating the ufc, and we found out how all these styles actually compared in real practice for the first time in who knows how many years, and as a result alot of very old martial arts have evolved extremely quickly in a short period of time relative to their existance. It was Royce Gracie that won the first tournament though so bjj was top dog early on, although now the wrestlers seem to have the upper hand.

The Gracies took jj pretty far, but the switch to no-gi, I believe happened in America. Taking some of the older guys outta their gi, they couldn't pull off alot of their moves, especially chokes. The no gi style is even more aggressive especially on one's back, always attacking limbs or looking for sweeps.

Here's an awesome grappling match between underdog Eddie Bravo (no shirt) and highly touted Royler Gracie at the Abu Dhabi Combat Club. This is a non-stop 9 minute battle with like 500 gaurd passes and recoveries. Incerdible finish as well, a beautiful triangle.

That was the creation of 10th planet jj ( yup it means nibiru!), and Eddie Bravo's super aggressive style of jj.
raulduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #21
john-d
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANCOSO View Post
I know its rare and a mixture of a few different disciplines , it was a school in coventry in the uk . The instructor was Mark Junday who is very talented indeed . The Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is widely used in mma mainly for ground work , the techniques are simple but very effective . I think Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Japanese Jiu Jitsu are different although i cant say for sure because ive never studied the japenese style .
John
john-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

I trained Judo, Karate(shoto kahn), jujitsu and was trained by an ex army trainer & world Judo champion guerilla warfare unarmed combat to a certain degree.

Never used it, never plan to as I find a good piece of 3"x3" works just as well, I cant get my leg that high now anyway...
Ammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #23
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Wink Re: Martial Arts - Have you trained or not?

Hi Anchor, yes Aikido a bit here and there for the last 20 years..

Its purely defensive and quite spiritual in orientation.

My father is an instructor.. so I do training with him and my brothers more often now that I live closer to them.

I recommend it to anyone.
Luminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #24
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gita View Post
I trained in kickboxing which also incorporated wrestling, Kung Fu, jiu-jitsu, thai, Tae Kwon Do... It was hard going but the skills stay with you for a life time. My sensei also trained us in Kukri and Japanese swords which were my favourite. I got my daughter into training since she was four years old and now she’s twelve and is a first dan. Here’s a youtube vid of her. She’s the taller one and sparing with a boy.

Boy...he was outclassed....
Stargazer1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #25
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Talking Re: Martial Arts - Have you trained or not?

Oh and I am actually beginning a QI GONG course next week!

Though that hardly rates as a martial art- maybe if I send a love energy blast to my adversary and they collapse in an orgasmic puddle of bliss.

Who knows.. if Kunlun Nei Gung is anything to go by.
Luminari is offline   Reply With Quote