Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Consultants in Building The New world > Athena Thompson

Notices

View Poll Results: Is this information helpful
Yes 10 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Athena
Avalon Senior Member

Post Creating a Home That Heals

Hello Everyone,

You may want to get a before reading this post...

When my book, Homes That Heal, came out in 2004, it was part of a consciousness shift taking shape around the globe as more and more people began to realize that a healthy home, a green home, a sustainable home, was not only better for our planet, but it could have profoundly beneficial effects on the health of an entire family. Roll forward to 2009, and this same information is perhaps more important than ever.

Here at the Avalon Forum, home of the Ground Crew and those seeking to stay Awake and Aware through these interesting times, let me explain why turning your home into a Home That Heals NOW could prove to be an important ace card to have up your sleeve. I’m going to assume that all of you, like me, are frequent visitors to Project Camelot’s website and, because of that, you know more than most about what’s really going on in our world today, and you’ll also be familiar with many of the possible scenarios we may be facing in the very near future: intensified climate change, economic collapse, civil unrest, plans to decrease the population…it’s a long list. As a result of any or all of these conditions, I think it’s safe to assume many of us may be spending longer periods of time indoors, and if you’ve never paid any attention to the health of your indoor environment, you might be in for some unpleasant surprises.

For instance, how many of you:
Suffer from insomnia?
Wake up in the morning and are still tired?
Wake up in the morning with a headache or some other kind of pain in your body?
Have frequent headaches?
Have breathing problems?
Have difficulty concentrating?
Suffer from depression or mood swings?
Generally don’t feel well, but can’t put your finger on it?

All of these are common day-to-day ailments that many people live with and take over-the-counter medication for. However, what many people don’t know is that most of these conditions are also symptoms of environmental illness caused or triggered by things in your own home.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the sources of toxins and pollutants in the home and offer workable solutions. The good news is that many solutions are simple, inexpensive, and often only require making better consumer choices. If you really want to take a stand against the Powers That Be—“PTBs”, not to be confused with “PCBs” which are equally toxic and bad for ones health!—then probably one of the most important things you can do for yourself and your family is to get busy turning your home into a place that supports your health and nurtures your soul.

This is a huge subject, so I’ll be breaking information down into bite-sized pieces and posting things as time permits. For those who would rather go faster, find yourself a copy of my book, Homes That Heal, (many libraries have a copy) and jump right in.

Here’s a suggestion to get you started right away…

Get rid of EVERYTHING that contains synthetic fragrance in your home. Take a walk around your home and identify everything fragranced. Use your nose and read labels. Some hints: air fresheners (including plug-in air fresheners), scented candles, laundry products (detergent, softeners and dryer sheets—even ones that say “no fragrance” sometimes are fragranced), personal toiletries, kitchen trash bags, and toilet paper. Fragranced household products are one of the biggest polluters of indoor air quality in the home.

So what’s the problem with fragrance?

Did you know:
A single fragrance can contain as many as 600 different chemicals. (1)
Approximately 95% of all ingredients used by the fragrance industry are synthetic. In a 1988 study, the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health found that in a partial list of 2,983 chemicals being used by the fragrance industry, 884 toxic substances were identified. Many of these substances are capable of causing cancer, birth defects, central nervous system disorders, reproductive disorders, and skin irritation. (2)
By design, fragrances are composed of materials that quickly get into the air. Once in the air, these materials pose serious health concerns for many with asthma, allergies, migraines, chronic lung disease, and other health conditions. Up to 72% of asthmatics report their asthma is triggered by fragrance. (3)
The ingredients in the fragrance portion of products do not have to be revealed. Most of the materials have not been fully tested for safety and this makes it difficult to pinpoint and monitor problematic materials. There is no one agency responsible for the regulation of scented products and generally these products are a low priority among these agencies. (4)

Getting rid of fragranced products in your home is such a simple, zero-cost solution to improving indoor air quality, that anyone can do it. Get your children involved and turn it into a game! Doing this one simple thing will start to reduce the chemical load on your body, which in turn allows the body to better heal itself.

In case some of you still need a little added incentive, consider this: What would you do if you couldn’t get your over-the-counter drugs for your everyday ailments? What if pharmaceutical drugs were suddenly unavailable to you? What would you do?

By removing fragranced products from your home, you may find that some of the above mentioned health problems simply disappear. You have nothing to lose and possible everything to gain by taking what I call the Fragrance Challenge.

Fragrance Challenge Instructions: Remove all sources of fragrance from your home for 3 months. Be careful during this time not to reintroduce fragranced products back into your home (pay particular attention any time you go shopping). You’ll need to open windows and air your home out to facilitate the process of removing already embedded fragrance from your furniture, carpet, and furnishings. If you’ve been using fragranced products to disguise an unpleasant smell in your home, now’s the time to discover the source of the problem and fix it. Evaluate your health when you start the challenge and evaluate your health after 3 months. Any forum members who take the challenge and care to share their personal success stories here are welcome to do so. Never underestimate the power of your small victory and its ability to inspire someone else to take better care of their health.

Yours in great health,
Athena

Notes:
(1) Baker-Laporte, Elliot and Banta, Prescriptions for a Healthy House, p. 29.
(2) Ibid.
(3) Betty Bridges, “fragrances by Design” [online], [Cited July 2003], Fragranced Product Information Network, March, 2003. www.fpinva.org
(4) Ibid.
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
unlimited mind
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: Creating a Home That Heals

awesome info! thanks for sharing here athena
unlimited mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
bushycat
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Creating a Home That Heals

I knew the fragrances were loaded, but the facts in your article are eye-opening. It makes sense to have a more natural atmosphere in our homes. It seems such a challenge, especially in a big city. What you're saying here would help make our homes healthier and also a kind of oasis from the swirling outside atmosphere. Aloha, bushycat
bushycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
sunflower
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Athena, your thread is very important to us here on Avalon.

I agree wholeheartedly about the fragrance factor. I had started buying non-perfumed items for house or cosmetics a few years ago and have reached a point where I no longer wear perfume either. The itchy eye and nose condition has improved immensely.

I have found a store nearby that will refill home cleaning product containers with their own organic and non-fragrant products. This is also a big help.
Getting rid of the wall to wall carpet was another.

Please keep the suggestions coming!
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #5
avyaktam
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks for the info Athena.

My I once more mention the avyaktam or vortex sheet here.

If you put a product with an artificial smell on it for a while, that smell completely (or almost completely) disappears. This would however not necessarily mean that the concerned chemical would disappear or its effects fully be neutralized.
No research done on that.

Last edited by avyaktam; 04-14-2009 at 04:59 AM.
avyaktam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Baron
Avalon Senior Member

Good show Athena!

You're on the right track.

What a breath of fresh air to hear this from somebody else! I have been advocating this my entire life!

One of the other major issues often overlooked regarding smells I and many others have to deal with is car fumes! Especially those who have cars parked near the home garaged or not or any parking near by a home.

The new fuels introduced in the 90's are loaded with "aromatics" (very deadly to life as well as rubber) to replace the leaded petroleum to stop engine knock; which eats away the rubber fuel lines, rubber washers etc,even on NEW cars and when these crack they expand and contract by temperature continuously day and night, squirting or spraying out fuel!

Walk past any car park and every few cars one will stink of leaking fuel! But that's not the end of it, because when these cars are started up they stink to high heaven! Because of the slow heat burn. Yet if they have the smog test they pass!!!!

Because the leak is not in the exhaust system, its in the cracked fuel lines either from the pump to tank, or main line to the injectors or carb's! (This is worse and more toxic than bad exhaust!) Leaked fuel on the motor burns slow and stinks and escapes its way to the nearest interior a house, apartment or another car, because the aerosol fuel mist is drawn to the more oxygenated home interior!

So be aware of this danger.

Regards
Baron

Last edited by Baron; 05-14-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Athena
Avalon Senior Member

Default Air Filters

Hi Everyone,

Time to catch up on a few earlier posts Baron posted on 4/9/09 under Hello to Athena: “I would be keen to hear what you may say about practical ways to protect yourself from EMFs generated in the home. (I am aware of specific crystal use in this regard, including BIOPRO chips that some say work whilst others say don't, thru to Himalayan Crystal Salt Lamps etc.) Am also curious at to what a good negative ion air ioniser may do to improve the atmosphere of one's home too. Keen to hear your thoughts.”

I will be posting more on EMFs on the dedicated EMF thread as soon as I can get to it. This is a big, important topic, and there are lots of things you can do in your home to make improvements. As for the BIOPRO chips—I haven't used them, personally. Their website looks impressive with all the photographs, but from a Building Biology perspective, I’d like to see some readings taken with professionally calibrated equipment showing radiation levels before and after chip use. If someone has that information, please feel free to post it here.

As for “negative ion air ionizers to improve the atmosphere of one's home.” OK, seeing as we have an International readership here, it's important to mention that there are so many products available around the world, with new ones surfacing on an almost daily basis, that it isn't possible to give a definitive worldwide answer. However, maybe the most useful thing to address is: what is it you want to achieve in your home? Is there a bad smell? Does a member of the family smoke? Does someone burn food in the home regularly (you may laugh, but it does happen)? Is someone chemically sensitive and reacting to everything in the home—do you see my point? Generally, products claim they: filter air, purify air, ionize air. It's important to remember that most filters essentially "polish" the air. They work best dealing with minor indoor air quality issues or short term polluting problems. They are not sufficient by themselves if you are dealing with a more substantial problem like mold and mildew, VOCs outgassing from new carpets or home renovations/remodels. If there is a bad smell, find the source and eliminate it. If there has been a water leak and mold damage, you will need professional remediation that tests mold levels before and after remediation to conclusively show the problem has been fixed.

Also, do be aware of air filters that are ozone generators. Ozone is a pungent smelling, irritating gas. Because it is a very unstable form of oxygen, it is extremely reactive. While ozone can break down some VOCs in the air, it can also react with some existing gases, or other materials and furnishings in the home, and create new pollutants that were not there before. Ozone generators are sometimes used to remediate smoke damage in a building. In these situations high levels of ozone are used and the occupants are removed. These are specialized situations, not usually applicable to everyday use at home.

Did you know:
Breathing ozone can trigger a variety of health problems including chest pain, coughing, throat irritation, and congestion. It can worsen bronchitis, emphysema, and asthma. Ozone also can reduce lung function and inflame the linings of the lungs. Repeated exposure may permanently scar lung tissue. (1)

I personally have two different air filters that I use for specific things when needed. I do think it’s a good idea to have a quality air filter around that can thoroughly polish the air in one room of the house thereby creating a mini safe haven within your home. Here on the Avalon forum, we are all aware of the possible future scenarios we may be facing—everything from unusual weather patterns to pandemic viral outbreaks. So should you need to quarantine yourself, or stay indoors for a few days, a good air filter may really help your health during that time. Don’t forget to buy spare filters for your unit, if it requires them, and if you have a model that needs to be manually washed, be sure to do that regularly. Forgetting to maintain your air filter is a sure way to create new problems for yourself. I make notes on my calendar ahead of time to remind myself when future maintenance jobs like these need to be done.

Other than that, remember to open windows and let fresh air into your home whenever possible. A healthy home needs to breathe and replenish oxygen levels on a regular basis. I find sleeping with a bedroom window open, or slightly cracked, at night, is really helpful for quality sleep and waking refreshed in the morning.

Hope that helps!
Good health to all.
Athena

Notes:
(1) U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "ozone: Good Up High, Bad Nearby" [online]. [Cited July, 2003], June, 2003. www.epa.gov/oar/oaqps/gooduphigh/
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote