Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 09-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default UK government plans to log every call, text and email

>>UK government plans to log every call, text and email
By Iain Thomson in San Francisco VNU Net - 2 hours 45 minutes ago
The Home office has issued a consultation paper for a new law that would force phone companies, ISPs and network operators to record and store every phone call, web page request and text message.

(Advertisement)

The information would have to be stored for twelve months by service providers and would be searchable by a wide variety of organisations, including local councils, health authorities and even Ofsted and the Post Office.

A key aspect of the debate, both during the public consultation on, and parliamentary debate about, the code of practice for voluntary retention of data, and also during the debate about the Directive within the European Council and the European Parliament, has been the impact, or potential impact, that retention of communications data has on individuals human rights, the document states.

The implementation of the Directive does not alter the balance in that debate and we consider that these measures are a proportionate interference with individuals right to privacy to ensure protection of the public.

The document gives case histories of instances where this data has been used to solve crimes, such as data used by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) Centre which from March to June 2008 identified 96 suspects (who have been arrested) and safeguarded 30 children through the use of internet related data.

The shadow home secretary, Dominic Grieve, told The Guardian: "Yet again the government have proved themselves unable to resist the temptation to take a power quite properly designed to combat terrorism to snoop on the lives of ordinary people in everyday circumstances."

Landline and mobile phone records are already stored for 12 months as a matter of course and the extension of the system into web browsing history and email accounts is merely in line with current EU policy the government says. Its usefulness in terrorism cases was also quoted.

"We will be told it is for use in combating terrorism and organised crime but if Ripa powers are anything to go by, it will soon be used to spy on ordinary people's kids, pets and bins," said Liberal Democrats' home affairs spokesman, Chris Huhne<<
The link that was supplied for this on yahoo news has shut the page down!?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...LL-phones.html

Internet will run out of IP addresses by 2010, warns Vint Cerf
The "father of the internet" has warned that the web is running out of addresses and users need to act now to change to a new system.

By Jessica Salter
Last Updated: 8:10AM BST 25 Sep 2008

Vint Cerf, the man who helped invent the system and one of the world's leading computer scientists, said that the web does not have enough unique codes that allow computers to communicate with each other.

He said that when the internet protocol (IP) addresses do run out, the connectivity of the internet will be damaged and some computers will not be able to go online.

"This is like the internet running out of telephone numbers and with no new numbers, you can't have more subscribers," he said

Preparations had to be made now, he said, to switch addresses to a new system.

When the internet was founded in 1977 there were 4.2 billion addresses available under the internet protocol version four (IPv4) system.

Each of the IPv4 addresses has a series of 32 binary numbers, but with the rapid expansion of broadband across the world, it is estimated that these addresses will run out by 2010.

A new system called IPv6 has been ready for a decade and is already used in Japan to connect thousands of earthquake sensors through a computer system that sends automatic alerts to television programmes and turns traffic lights red.

IPv6 addresses are 128 bits long and so provide a possible 340 trillion, trillion, trillion address space.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Tuza

Default Re: UK government plans to log every call, text and email

I never thought the UK Government would take steps like this, I honestly dont know who is worse the US Government or the UK Government, I am starting to look at Putin to save us from demise. In fact I think I trust his Government more than I do the west.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
PTTurboe

I have thought the same thing about Putin. At least he threw the NWO bankers out of Russia.

And he saved Iran from Israeli airstikes from Georgian airfields...
Old 09-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
gazbom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuza View Post
I never thought the UK Government would take steps like this, I honestly dont know who is worse the US Government or the UK Government, I am starting to look at Putin to save us from demise. In fact I think I trust his Government more than I do the west.
Putin is the Russian government!
They are all the same and always were, it's just with the advent of the Internet we are beginning to wake up!
And if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about, I think.
gazbom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
eurosceptic
Avalon Senior Member

What about Menwith Hill??

Hasn't that particular facility been recording and filtering every electronic communication for years anyway - won't this new law just be a smokescreen to hide a smokescreen??

The fact this has been overtly announced is not great I agree - and in the Daily Mail! . It could strike fear of Big Btother into some?

Is this a case of it being put in our faces to more or less say "we can do what the hell we like, we're going to monitor everything and there's not a jot you can do AND we're going to use force to make compainies etc comply!!"

Merely a flexing of power? "Arn't we powerful" ?!

Or maybe they just ain't heard of Menwith Hill. Compartmentalisation gone bananas?! .

Last edited by eurosceptic; 09-28-2008 at 11:33 AM.
eurosceptic is offline   Reply With Quote