Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Healing

Notices

Healing Spiritual and Alternative Healing

Old 02-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Default mudras - hand yoga

Mudras

A Mudra (Sanskrit word meaning sign or seal) is a gesture or position, usually of the hands, that locks and guides energy flow and reflexes to the brain. By curling, crossing, stretching and touching the fingers and hands, we can "talk" to the body and mind as each area of the hand corresponds to a certain part of the mind or body.

From the little finger to the thumb: each finger represents earth, metal, fire, wood, and water, respectively. The entire universe lies within your ten fingers and it is also said that there is an infinite number of Mudras even though we only have 10 fingers. Mudras can be used both for meditation and/or healing.

How to do a Mudra
Mudras are easy to do . Start each Mudra session by "washing" your hands (rub your hands against each other about 10 times, hold hands before your Navel Chakra) this will help energy to flow in your hands. Sit with your back straight, either with legs crossed or on a straight backed chair. Put your fingers together as described in the Mudras below. In each Mudra, exert enough pressure to feel the flow of energy but not enough to whiten fingertips.

Although mudras can be used for healing certain ailments, regular practise of mudras will contribute to your overall good health and can be used as a preventive measure.

Continuous practice of the mudras will create minute changes in your body using pulse centres on parts of your hands, which trigger certain healing processes within the corresponding body part.

Mudras are to be performed with both hands at the same time, unless otherwise specified.
Start with 10 minutes at a time and increase up to 3/4 hour for best results.
Fingers should remain comfortable during the procedure and not held stiffly or tight.

Often mudras will provide instant relief with lots of different ailments.

Mudras not only work on your body, they also work on your mind. Rebalancing the body to its natural healthy state.

Improvement in your general health will be noticed after doing Mudras on a regular basis.

Mudras can work within seconds of applying the hand position or sometimes within 45 minutes. However, be prepared to do the postitions on a regular basis for stubburn ailments that may require more work.

Love Always
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Default Re: mudras - hand yoga

The Om Mudra

This is probably one of the most well known Mudras and is very easy to do.

How to do it:
Start by "washing" your hands as explained above, add symbols if wanted. Sit with a straight back. Create the sacred OM mudra by connecting the index finger with the thumb on the same hand (both hands). The thumb is the gateway to Divine Will (represented by the Crown Chakra) and the index finger is the Ego (represented by the Navel Chakra). As you do this Mudra you can do an affirmation or just chant OM (pronounced AUM). If doing the affirmation say to yourself when you breathe in: "I am one with the Universe" and as you breathe out "The Universe and I are one". This mudra is very good when your life is in need of peace and tranquility.

The Smiling Buddha Mudra

This is a gesture and exercise of happiness as it opens the flow of energy to the heart.

How to do it:
Sit comfortably either with crossed legs or on a straight backed chair. Bend ring and little fingers, pressing them down with the thumbs, keeping index and middle fingers straight (be comfortable do not force the fingers straight), palms forward. Elbows in towards the body (as far as it feels comfortable for you) and keep a 30 degree angle between the upper arms and forearms, keep the forearms parallel to each other.

Concentrate on your Third Eye and mentally chant (at the Third Eye) Sa Ta Na Ma ("Sa" - Infinity, "Ta" - Life, Existence, "Na" - Death, "Ma" - Rebirth, Light). Can be done without the chant but try to at least concentrate on your Third Eye.

Keep elbows in towards your body and your chest out (straight back). Continue for about 10 minutes, then inhale deeply, exhale, open and close the fists several times, and relax.

Fight worry, depression, impatience, anger, fear and other emotions

I don't know if this can be called a Mudra as it is a Qi Gong exercise that I learnt a long time ago. The effects and technique are certainly similar. This Mudra can be done anywhere as there is no preparation needed and it can be done discreetly.

As mentioned above your fingers corresponds to the five elements but they also correspond to emotions and the major organs. On the outside and inside (not top and bottom!) of your fingers run the meridians and there are several acupuncture points located here. These are represented by the black dots on the first picture.

By pressing or squeezing the sides of the fingers, according to your needs, you can affect both the emotion and the corresponding organ. This is how the fingers work:

The thumb represents the element earth, the stomach and worry.
The index finger represents the element metal, the lungs, the large intestine and the emotions depression, sadness and grief.
The middle finger is the element fire, the heart, small intestine, circulatory and respiratory systems, the emotions are impatience and hastiness.
The ring finger is the element wood and is connected to the liver, gall bladder, nervous system and corresponds to anger.
The little finger corresponds to water, the kidneys and fear.
So if you are overwhelmed by an emotion, just squeeze the corresponding finger a few times and you will feel better.

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Apan Vayu Mudra

Description:

Fold the forefinger to touch the mound of the thumb. The little finger should be held erect. Then place tips of middle finger and ring finger together on tip of thumb all touching each other. (BOTH HANDS)

Uses include:

Strengthens heart
Emergency first aid for severe heart attack if administered within 2 seconds.
Self Confidence
Normalises blood pressure
Vomiting
Menstruation related problems
Purifies the entire body

Gyan Mudra

Description:

The thumb and index finger are brought together gently while all the other fingers remain upright.

Uses include:

Mental Peace
Concentration
Sharp Memory
Spirituality
Insomnia
Mental Disorders
Stress
Depression
Drowsiness
Develops telepathic ablilities
Developes clairvoyant and extra-sensory ablilities

Rudra Mudra

Description:

Place tips of index finger and ring finger together on top of the tip of thumb, with other fingers extended comfortably. (BOTH HANDS)

Uses include:

Dizziness
Improves blood circulation
Brings clarity in thought.
Low blood pressure
Improves eyesight
Improves breathing
Controls eating habits
Blocked Veins
Improves concentration

Prithvi Mudra

Description:

Place the tip of the ring finger on top of the tip of the thumb. Extend all the other fingers and keep them comfortably straight as possible.
(BOTH HANDS)

Uses include:

Liver
Inner stablity
Self Assurance
Stomach
Strengthens body and mind
Glowing skin
Increases energy

Shankha Mudra

Description:

The left thumb should be held in the right fist and then the left index finger should touch the right thumb. Put light pressure with the remaining fingers of the left hand onto the closed fist fo the right hand. Swap over sides.

Uses include:

Thyroid Glands.
Throat
Blood Vessels
Muscular System
Digestion
Good for actors and singers for voice enhancement

Varuna Mudra

Description:

Place thumb down on little finger and keep all remaining three fingers comfortably straight.

Uses include:

To enhance beauty
Removes impurities from the blood
Restores moisture to skin
Painful cramps

Love Always
mudra

Last edited by mudra; 02-06-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Got to "hand" it to you Mudra you have a great in depth knowledge.
Chris
Namaste
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Vayu Mudra

Description:

Place thumb down on index finger and keep all remaining three fingers comfortably straight.

Uses include:

Rheumatism
Sciatica
Stiff Neck
Knee Pain
Gout
Joint Pain in hands and feet
Paralysis
Hysteria

Shankha Mudra

Description:

The left thumb should be held in the right fist and then the left index finger should touch the right thumb.

Uses include:

Digestion
Thyroid Glands
Throat
Enhances quality of voice

Varuna Mudra

Description:

Join your little finger to the tip of your thumb. Keep other fingers comfortably straight.

Uses include:

Dry skin
Blood problems
Restores moisture to the body
Relaxes muscles ~ cramp
Diarrhea and dehydration
To enhance beauty

Shunya Mudra

Description:

Place thumb down on middle finger and keep all remaining three fingers comfortably straight.

Uses include:

Earache
Deafness
Vertigo
Numbness in the body

Apan Mudra

Description:

Place tips of thumb, middle finger and ring finger together in each hand. (BOTH HANDS)

Uses include:

Liver
Gall Bladder
Removes wastes products
Toxic release
Bladder problems
Balances mind
Self confidence
Patience
Serenity
Inner Harmony

Linga Mudra

Description:

Join your palms in front of your chest and lock the facing fingers together keeping your thumbs upright. Hold for 3 minutes, release and repeat twice.

Uses include:

Weight Reduction
Colds and Coughs
Strengthens lungs
Digestion

Make sure you drink plenty of water as Linga Mudra generates heat in your body.

Surabhi Mudra

Description:

Join the little finger and ring finger, then join the middle finger and index finger together. This pose can also be called "cow posture" as the mudra makes cloven hooves of your hands,

Uses include:

Rheumatic inflammation
Sharpens your intellect

Surahi Mudra

Description:

Join the little finger of one hand with the ring finger of the other and vice versa. Similarly, join the forefinger with the middle finger of the other hand and vice versa. Leave your thumbs free.

Uses include:

Rheumatic inflammation
Colds
Sharpens your intellect

http://bowentherapy.homestead.com/mudras.html

Love Always
mudra

Last edited by mudra; 02-05-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
Got to "hand" it to you Mudra you have a great in depth knowledge.
Chris
Namaste
Thank you for your visit to this thread Chris .
May you be well.

Love from me
mudra
Old 02-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you for the information Mudra
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Kundaflower
Avalon Senior Member

Simply beautifull !!!

Thank you for reminding us...

Just to add other purposes to mudras..

In Bharatnatyam (classic indian dance) preformers "talk" to audience by hand signals or mudras and thus show what emotion or deed actor is presenting at that moment...

....Mudras are also used together with mantras(prayers) in Vedic fire sacrifices to call off planetary energiers/entities to earth...

Peace and love
KF
Kundaflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Mudra
Qi Gong, which you mentioned, I also learned some time ago as part of a Bio-energy Course I did.
I think all these practices are helpful in bringing forth awareness of energy in the body.
Kim English Eckhart Tolles's partner runs energy awareness courses,my words not hers,

When Mudra's etc are practised for a period of time one can access and move the energy by focus alone, even send it as in tantric which is a different story which I will not go into,

However there is great joy in practising the Qi Gong movments or stiitting stationary with the hands in a mudra position.
I guess I just got lazy as with a little thought I can feel the energy within.

Incidentally one teacher I went to emphasized the importance of first being aware of the energy (presence within) before engaging in conversation. Its possible to hold a conversation and still be aware of that energy. Then you dont get "pulled" into identifying with the world, loose consciousness.. Eckhat Tolle recomends this. I have managed but just got lazy, forgetting to do it.

Always a pleasure to visit your threads Mudra. An oasis.

Chris
Namaste
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
illuminate
Avalon Senior Member

THANK U!
illuminate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
dddanieljjjamesss
Avalon Senior Member

I am VERY thankful of this post.

Mudras click with me, they resonate and really give me something to focus on, where things like chanting and visualization techniques have been harder for me to land.

I'm going to keep coming back here as long as there is information and discussion!
dddanieljjjamesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Thank you for your contribution Kunda .
A pleasure to see you here

And thank you to all other visitors to this thread.
May the healing mudras help you .
They are so simple to do and easy to learn .
Nature is perfect .

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Called the yoga of the hands, a mudra [sign or seal], is a specific hand gesture, or position, that helps in releasing the energy locked within our body and directing its flow and reflexes to the brain. Mudras are known to alleviate a host of ailments such as asthma, depression, piles, cough, diabetes, stress, and even a heart attack - to name just a few.

When used over time, mudras can create inner peace and harmony, health and wealth, and balance the left and right sides of the brain — and, promote a sense of wellbeing. They can also change your life considerably, through gradual spiritual regeneration.

Mudra work and healing

The innate healing power of hands and the 10 fingers are explained in the Atharva Veda. This power can be easily fortified by the practice of special gestures formed by varying the position of the fingers through mudras. Mudras heal by activating both the meridians [nadis] as well as the chakras [energy centres] - in more ways than one.

Our physical body is made up of five elements, viz., water, earth, akasha [ether], air, and fire, which are represented by the little finger, the ring finger, the middle finger, the index finger, and the thumb, respectively. Imbalances in these elements upset our immune system and cause various ailments The joining of two or more fingers to form hand mudras, and holding them in a certain fixed pattern, creates balance for the five elements, following which healing ensues.

Imbalances in the chakras are suggested to affect the body's energy circuit. One of the ways to activate and balance chakras is through mudras. As the five fingers are associated with the lower five chakras, the right positioning and holding of the fingers together in a specific pattern brings balance. The body, thus, gets energised, diseases get healed and, gradually, spiritual awakening is experienced.

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Vayu Mudra
This mudra balances the element of air in the body.

In this mudra the index finger makes contact with the base of the thumb while the other three fingers are kept straight.

This hand position is said to bring the element of air in balance in the body. It is particularly effective to rid the body of flatulence, especially gas in the stomach.

To do this advocates recommend that the posture be held until the gas has been expended. This may take anywhere from one to 15 minutes and should be stopped once relief has come.

The mudra is also recommended for treating and reducing the severity of many rheumatoid ailments including gout and arthritis.

It is also said to benefit those suffering with Parkinson's disease, cervical spondylosis, any paralysis of the face and problems with nerves in the neck.

When using Vayu Mudra to treat these ailments, practitioners recommend holding the posture for 45 minutes at least once every 12 to 24 hours.

For best results advocates suggest using the mudra for at least two months.

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
kriya
Avalon Senior Member

Beautiful thread Mudra!

There is a lot of ancient wisdom here

Love,

Kriya
kriya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
dddanieljjjamesss
Avalon Senior Member

Hey Mudra! Is there a larger resolution version of the picture with all the mudras? I would love to set it as my desktop background as a daily reminder!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #17
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Here you go dddanieljjjamesss
Hope this does'nt take too much time to download.
If so let me know .
This poster comes from here:
http://www.yogsadhna.com/poster.asp

Love Always
mudra

Last edited by mudra; 02-06-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #18
dddanieljjjamesss
Avalon Senior Member

Old 02-07-2010, 04:18 AM   #19
pr0metheu5
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you Mudra, for publishing that image. I will study it well.

I have experienced spontaneous Mudra for many years, they appear when I am close to a strong spirit, either by myself meditating, or when meeting Holy Dudes..

I have never studied them so as not to "front-load" my intellect (which is my path of least resistance), and pre-suppose (and therefore manipulate) how the mudras appear.

I have always found them to be healing, either to myself or others, and often draw energies through them.

Is this common? I would like to be like this all the time, but it is not exactly socially acceptable behaviour?
pr0metheu5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:24 AM   #20
Majorion
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks mudra, great stuff.

It's no wonder I've been doing these hand yoga techniques my whole life, I guess it just comes naturally for some people, I do indeed believe that each finger or certain points correspond to other major parts of the body, in fact personally I can feel it, don't know about others though.

As a smoker and a bad abuser of caffeine (guilty), I often wake up in the morning with the feeling of a heavy heart and a powerful beat, I physically feel that nearly every day, and I've found the only thing that helps is rubbing certain parts of my arms and specifically the palms and fingers to get the blood flow back to normal, mind you this is before I ever knew or heard about these ancient techniques, but this is certainly confirmation.

Again, thank you, valuable information you bring, as always.
Majorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #21
es7ter
Avalon Senior Member

Thank You heaps.
es7ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #22
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

PrOmetheu and Majorion ,

Thank you for your contribution to this thread.
I believe the mudras are natural gestures
known to the body to heal itself.
It would be quite normal then that they would
spontanuously come back to us when we need them
providing we just let them be .

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #23
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Healing hand mudra for migraines

http://www.ehow.com/video_4400722_he...migraines.html

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #24
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

How Are Mudras Practiced?

"The hands are the bearers of important symbols, which are still universally understood. With his or her hands, the Indian dancer expresses the life of the universe. The rich symbolism of the dancer's language of gestures has a greater significance for the mind than words could express . Indian art has the spiritual meaning of the mudras and its perfect expression . The gestures of the deities depicted in Hindu and Buddhist art symbolize and evoke specific mythological occurrences."

Forming your hands and the fingers as they are shown in the various illustrations. The pressure of the fingers should be very light and fine, and your hands should be relaxed. Sometimes the fingers have a mind of their own, too inflexible, and the hands slip away or tire quickly. The flexibility of the hands has a direct relationship to the flexibility of the entire body. Tension at a certain place in the body, will be expressed at a corresponding area in the hands. Even a person's age can be determined on the basis of the spread fingers.

In the beginning, there may be some problems in doing some of the mudras with both hands, because, you may first have to arrange and hold the fingers of one hand with the other. Just do the mudra with the one hand for the time being. If the fingers that should actually be stretched curl on their own again, rest them. With time, the tensions will dissolve in the fingers or hand, as well as in the corresponding area of the body. Do the mudra as well as possible and the effect will appear in any case. You will gain more strength in your hands, become more flexible, and will be able to use both hands feeling more refreshed ,flexible and younger.

Treat your fingers in a careful and loving way.
You may not do the mudra as healing gesture,
but do it as a holy gesture.

If possible do the mudras in a seated meditation position-
Take into consideration the following basic principles of meditation technique:

Sit with an upright pelvis and a straight spinal column on a stable cushion. Both knees should be flat on the ground or at the same height if necessary, support the lower knee with a cushion until it is at the same height as the other knee. Let the hands relax on the thighs.Let the shoulders fall back and down in a relaxed way, your chest should be open and free.Pull the chin back a bit, and let the neck be long and relaxed. Breathe in an even, slow, flowing, and gentle way.Never end the meditation suddenly. Vigorously stretch your arms and legs.

You can practice the mudras at any time and in any place. Mudras can even be done while in traffic, watching television, or when waiting.. It is wiser to do mudras in a meditative, harmonious mood. Without being stressed and fuming with annoyance, or that you sit in front of the television with your mind on various problems you are facing.

Place your thumb and index finger together and think about something wonderful, it doesn't matter what it is, as long as it lets you float on pink clouds. Now feel the energy that flows from the index finger to the thumb. Doing it again, imagine something terribly sad. Feel the energy of the fingers is it different? There is difference in the quality of energy that flows, in the first instance it is vibrant and electrifying whereas the other is dull and faint.

http://www.crystallotus.com/Mudras/02.htm

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #25
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Mudras and Breathing

The effect of a mudra can be immensely intensified with the breath.
This is why it is very important to know what breathing does.

Pay attention to a symmetrical posture and hold your arms about one inch away from your body. Even this position alone brings a sense of inner equilibrium and harmony as it regulates the activity of the nervous system and hormonal glands. In addition to carbon dioxide, we also discharge expended energy on the subtle level when we exhale deeply.This is why you should always exhale vigorously several times at the beginning of a mudra. Make room for what you want to achieve.
Always lengthen the little pause after inhaling and after exhaling by several seconds. The most important aspect of the breathing process. The inner powers are developed during the pauses-on every level. When you practice a mudra to calm yourself, then slow your breathing.When you practice a mudra to refresh yourself, then inters your breathing. The optimal quality of breathing is achieved when the breath is slow, deep, rhythmic, and flowing.

In the beginning of a mudra meditation, exhale vigorously
several times and then let the breath become deeper and slower.

First: Focus on your hands and fingers,
notice the gentle pressure where they touch each other;
This centers, creates inner equilibrium, and builds up strength in general.

Second: While inhaling, you can press the fingertips together a bit more
and let go of the pressure when exhaling;
This variation strengthens the will and refreshes.

Third: The other way around and apply a bit more pressure
while exhaling and let go of the pressure when inhaling.
This variation calms and relaxes.
Feel the difference. You may not immediately feel the effect, but it is still there

http://www.crystallotus.com/Mudras/03.htm

Love Always
mudra