Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #101
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Default Re: Free computer help here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE eXchanger View Post
how do i make a slide show from photopoint
show up on a www.godaddy.com website tonight ???
PAst my bedtime.....PM me Susan...And we'll look into it...thanks
Stargazer1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #102
Freedom
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spregovori View Post
Buy a 2,5 or 3,5 external hard drive if you have large amounts of data, or buy for example a 16gig USB key.... put your data on it....
Thank You for this information....I appreciate it.

I have another question...do you think my system will eventually crash
and never return? Does that happen because the rest of computer land
keeps updating and mine can't handle it? This has happened to me before
I got this one.....

Just how long is a computer suppose to last? I would really like one of those computers that I saw in the movie Avatar...with the 3-D screen that wraps around....now that would be cool...and if the sold them at Wally World...I might go there to purchase one if they would sell one for a few beans....

Thanks again......Namaste.....Freedom
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #103
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

I have been having a lot of problems with Firefox over the last month or two. When I try to load a page......it comes up "firefox not responding"....& of course I get frustrated after waiting 10mins..........then I'm trying again & again & my screen freezes for another ten mins. I swear sometimes, I can try to open a link & go vacuum my entire house, come back & its still trying to load. I feel like this right now with my laptop.

Yesterday Firefox popped up with a update to 3.6 version, which I did. But that little upgrade took out my mini program eQuake alert gone, gone, gone. I tried to download it again, but its not compatible with the new upgraded Firefox........ I miss my equake alert. Oh yea and my computer is so slow...

Guys, got any pearls of computer wisdom. Save me please from computers?

Oh. my laptop is Dell Inspiron 6400, (2MB/1.73GHz/533MHz) then this: 1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 D1mm for Inspiron. Got it Mar. 2007.

What ever happened to the Startrek computer, where you just talk to it & it answers you back with answers & advice. I want that one.
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #104
Freedom
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitinginthewings View Post
What ever happened to the Startrek computer, where you just talk to it & it answers you back with answers & advice. I want that one.

I would like one of these as well....where do
we sign up?

But remember the computer in the "Demon Seed"....scary!

My son tells me that I might as well wait
for the implant...like the borg

and I just heard about the laser holographic key board!!!

Hang on to your hats for the tech ride......we are going back to the future!

Namaste....Freedom
Old 02-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #105
BlueHand
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaLove View Post
There are 3 items I use on ALL pc's under my care to keep them safe and all are free to download and use. I highly recommend these and only these.
  • Anti Virus - AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 9.0
    Award winning protection to meet your basic security needs
    It’s always been our philosophy at AVG that everyone has the right to basic computer security at no charge. And our 80 million users think we’re doing a pretty good job. So if you’re planning to spend time online and you regularly exchange files with friends, check us out."
    http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download-a...s-free-edition

Spyware - Spybot - Search & Destroy detects and removes spyware, a relatively new kind of threat not yet covered by common anti-virus applications. Spyware silently tracks your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile for you that is transmitted without your knowledge to the compilers and sold to advertising companies. If you see new toolbars in your Internet Explorer that you haven't intentionally installed, if your browser crashes inexplicably, or if your home page has been "hijacked" (or changed without your knowledge), your computer is most probably infected with spyware. Even if you don't see the symptoms, your computer may be infected, because more and more spyware is emerging. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm giving it a try to see if something has invaded your computer. http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

Malware - Lavasoft Ad-Aware - 10 years of malware experience combined in one dynamic application. Ad-Aware offers radically improved performance and efficiency, along with comprehensive malware protection. With real-time monitoring, threat alerts, and automatic updates you can rest easy knowing that you are protected. Site: http://www.lavasoft.com/ Download: http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Fr...bj=dl&tag=top5
IT security is my speciality and I advise everyone here on Avalon to run their browsers sandboxed - http://www.sandboxie.com/ or use Geswall http://www.gentlesecurity.com/ this will stop any drive by infections.

Download WOT (WEB SITE ADVISOR) http://www.mywot.com/

Use an anti-virus program that suites your needs,no anti-virus program is the best. Avast http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index and as mentioned above AVG http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage or Avira http://free-av.com/ there are many others but watch out for rogue software. If you use sandboxie or geswall you should be protected from anything and everything that the web throws at you. I have used both sandboxie and geswall in a test environment using hardcore trojans , malware, rootkits and rogues and never been infected.

All the products I have mentioned above are FREE.

I personally use Comodo Internet security & Geswall.

Comodo is free, you can download it here http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html

Use only one anti-virus, one firewall at a time.

If you have any virus problems please drop me a line and I'll help you if I can.

Blue hand.
BlueHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #106
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

and never return? Does that happen because the rest of computer land
keeps updating and mine can't handle it? This has happened to me before
I got this one.....

Just how long is a computer suppose to last? I would really like one of those computers that I saw in the movie Avatar...with the 3-D screen that wraps around....now that would be cool...and if the sold them at Wally World...I might go there to purchase one if they would sell one for a few beans....

Thanks again......Namaste.....Freedom
Freedom...There is always a chance of turning it off one day and it will never come back.....But there is a chance of that with a brand new one.

Like Spreg said...Get you a thumb drive and BACK UP everything you would not want to loose...Then if it never comes back...then you have everything you hold dear

Sounds like you want to wait to doing any upgrades ...thats fine...JUST MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP...pictures...documents...movies...

..so if you want to keep....Thumb drives are cheap.

Peace Y'all
Old 02-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #107
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
I have been having a lot of problems with Firefox over the last month or two. When I try to load a page......it comes up "firefox not responding"....& of course I get frustrated after waiting 10mins..........then I'm trying again & again & my screen freezes for another ten mins. I swear sometimes, I can try to open a link & go vacuum my entire house, come back & its still trying to load. I feel like this right now with my laptop.

Yesterday Firefox popped up with a update to 3.6 version, which I did. But that little upgrade took out my mini program eQuake alert gone, gone, gone. I tried to download it again, but its not compatible with the new upgraded Firefox........ I miss my equake alert. Oh yea and my computer is so slow...

Guys, got any pearls of computer wisdom. Save me please from computers?

Oh. my laptop is Dell Inspiron 6400, (2MB/1.73GHz/533MHz) then this: 1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 D1mm for Inspiron. Got it Mar. 2007.

WiW....is it certain sites or all??

It sounds like connection...not hardware

More info please
Old 02-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #108
Spregovori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post

and never return?

Just how long is a computer suppose to last? I
If it will crash you just re-install it. You can also attempt to get the data using stuff like bart, live cd etc... or just pluging your hd into other pc via usb

but it is always better to have an up to date backup

It will last as long as the mechanic parts will work - like people... dragon or otherwise heheheh Hmm so much "fun" (reference to some other thread)
Old 02-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #109
Freedom
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer1965 View Post
Sounds like you want to wait to doing any upgrades ...thats fine...JUST MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP...pictures...documents...movies...
I will start with this...and then would like to upgrade..if I can..if it
is reasonable.....UNLESS a pile of $$$ should fall in my lap

Then of course its all out.....

Namaste....Freedom
Old 02-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #110
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer1965 View Post
WiW....is it certain sites or all??

It sounds like connection...not hardware

More info please
No....its not site specific....it can be any site. I test that out....didn't matter.

Maybe there is a lot of cookies stored

I happened to come across this article by George Ure of HPH. on cookies. Would like your feedback on this software.....because I was thinking of downloading it, to see if it cleans things up. But it might be for more sophisticated users.

Cookie Video

The folks at Maxa Research have put together a short video (sound track by guess who?) that shows the Maxa Cookie Manager. You can see it here.
http://www.maxa-tools.com/video.php?aref=32&v=2

I don’t usually get all whipped up about software, but this is one of those dandy tools that just simply works great. First thing I put on my new computer when I got it was Avira Anti-virus and Maxa Cookie Manager (MCM). Either follow the on-screen download instructions of simply click:

http://www.urbansurvival.com/setupMCMstdGU.exe

Once you try it out, to upgrade to the fully functioning version, just click the upgrade button (!) on the upper right hand side for the $35 unlock to get it to remove even those nasty and highly intrusive ‘non-browser specific’ cookies. Bonus: You computer may run faster.

Not for Mac’s: MCM does support the Safari Browser, but that does not mean it is compatible with Mac OS. Maxa-Tools only support the Windows world….so far. Give them time…
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #111
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
No....its not site specific....it can be any site. I test that out....didn't matter.

Maybe there is a lot of cookies stored

I happened to come across this article by George Ure of HPH. on cookies. Would like your feedback on this software.....because I was thinking of downloading it, to see if it cleans things up. But it might be for more sophisticated users.

Cookie Video

The folks at Maxa Research have put together a short video (sound track by guess who?) that shows the Maxa Cookie Manager. You can see it here.
http://www.maxa-tools.com/video.php?aref=32&v=2

I don’t usually get all whipped up about software, but this is one of those dandy tools that just simply works great. First thing I put on my new computer when I got it was Avira Anti-virus and Maxa Cookie Manager (MCM). Either follow the on-screen download instructions of simply click:

http://www.urbansurvival.com/setupMCMstdGU.exe

Once you try it out, to upgrade to the fully functioning version, just click the upgrade button (!) on the upper right hand side for the $35 unlock to get it to remove even those nasty and highly intrusive ‘non-browser specific’ cookies. Bonus: You computer may run faster.

Not for Mac’s: MCM does support the Safari Browser, but that does not mean it is compatible with Mac OS. Maxa-Tools only support the Windows world….so far. Give them time…
I've seen cookies affect a certain site not usually across the board.

Sounds like a connection issue.

Can you try another PC on your network....Say a friend with a laptop.

That way If they have the same problem...you need to contact your service provider....SG
Old 03-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #112
Freedom
Avalon Senior Member

Hello Again.....

I think I have everything that I want to save backed up on the USB drive. What next....

I was able to play music thru the computer but now nothing...I tried at least two dozen times to uninstall/install the adobe flash player...no go.

Is my computer giving me grief because the "UniBlue" program I purchased last year...ran out? Would it be a good idea to get something like that again? A program to fix/update drivers and speed up my computer?

Please advise...I appreciate your attention to this matter.....

Much Love and eternal gratitude......Freedom
Old 03-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #113
Spregovori

Huh ammm ....

if u bought the storage device....simply connect it via usb and start copy-paste all the data u wish to backup

about the programs no longer responding...amm it can be anything (it can even be dragons!!!)...i would need a more detailed information
Old 03-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #114
xbusymom
Avalon Senior Member

thanks for all the great help you are doing with this issue...

I have a couple of things I can't figure out ...

1) there are some times when I need to hard reboot... and when the chkdsk does its thing, it converts lost clusters into files. Do I need to fix them in the register (I don't know how to do that) or can I just find which folder they are place in and delete them? my laptop is getting slower and slower in just booting up... is this causing the slowdown? *and shoud I defrag first?

2) I normally use firefox for browsing, but I can't do a realplayer download of a video off of the net with the mozilla browser, so I had been using IE7, but that quit working a couple of weeks ago... I even tried to reinstall that and then tried to upgrade/install the IE8... can you tell me how to get it working again or maybe there is a free video-downloader program you could direct me to?

thanks again...
xbusymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #115
Spregovori

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbusymom View Post
thanks for all the great help you are doing with this issue...

I have a couple of things I can't figure out ...

1) there are some times when I need to hard reboot... and when the chkdsk does its thing, it converts lost clusters into files. Do I need to fix them in the register (I don't know how to do that) or can I just find which folder they are place in and delete them? my laptop is getting slower and slower in just booting up... is this causing the slowdown? *and shoud I defrag first?

There can be many reasons for this....what i would do is simply save my data and re-install the system...since u have a laptop make sure u have all the drivers first....if that is a problem for you...you can check the system for viruses http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix you can defrag, you can use cc-cleaner....you can set manual scan disk...etc.

2) I normally use firefox for browsing, but I can't do a realplayer download of a video off of the net with the mozilla browser, so I had been using IE7, but that quit working a couple of weeks ago... I even tried to reinstall that and then tried to upgrade/install the IE8... can you tell me how to get it working again or maybe there is a free video-downloader program you could direct me to?

not sure what the problem is here...it would seem u can only use IE since the site you are using is most likely asp and only supported in IE ....do not know what exactly you wish to do but i do not have this problems...rarely i encounter or wish to have anything to do with real player...

if IE stopped working this can be a serious sign of a serious problem...there a millions of reasons for this...and it has most likely to do with number 1 question

thanks again...
have fun