Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
Shellie
Banned

Default A great resource for potential homesteaders

http://www.homestead.org/
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
Blufire77
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: A great resource for potential homesteaders

I love books because you can take them with you a whole lot easier than a computer and they don't require electricity! For now surf, surf and surf but just in case we end up (likely) in a non-electric situation I would like to suggest a book.

I have homesteaded for many years and live almost completely in a sustainable environment. . . . still working but almost there.

I have read and used information out of may books but hands down the book I pick up most often and get the most practical and in depth info from is Carla Emery’s “Encyclopedia of Country Living”

It is definitely the book I would suggest every family and community to have. There are tons of other great books but for homesteading and self reliant living this is my pick.
Blufire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
Carrie1971
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Boogies View Post

http://www.homestead.org/VictoriaVar...landCattle.htm

Here in the northwoods the guy who fixes my old car also has a herd of this cattle. I know some people do not eat beef. I do and elk, deer and moose as well. I can tell you that this type of beef is the best I have ever had in my freezer.

Thank you for your link I really will be spending some time there.. A link on canning was very good as well.

Here in my world pears are calling for canning jars and drying racks so I must be off. Again thank you for the link.
Carrie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:24 AM   #4
VinnieCooper
Avalon Senior Member

Haven't Checked your Link out yet just somthing to say about BOOKS. I find it a usful Learning aid to write information down myself, I have writen many books myself through doing this (kind of), often I go back and write notes to expand the threads later.
VinnieCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:15 AM   #5
Nola
Avalon Senior Member

This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for the link!
Nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:00 AM   #6
Lance
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie1971 View Post
http://www.homestead.org/VictoriaVar...landCattle.htm

Here in the northwoods the guy who fixes my old car also has a herd of this cattle. I know some people do not eat beef. I do and elk, deer and moose as well. I can tell you that this type of beef is the best I have ever had in my freezer.

Thank you for your link I really will be spending some time there.. A link on canning was very good as well.

Here in my world pears are calling for canning jars and drying racks so I must be off. Again thank you for the link.
I'm in the works right now to buy a heard of Dexter cattle....1 bull, 6 heifers.
Almost the same breed! Awesome animals. Can you PM me (since gun talks seems verboten) on your choice of the three best guns to have? I'm looking at hunting elk, deer, and black bear in the PNW and have not used a gun since I was 12 (I"m 40) and I'm doing a poll spread out on a few websites as to the 'magickal three'. All input is appreciated.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_cattle
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote