Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Spirituality

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
whalerider
Avalon Senior Member

Default Attention Baby Boomers!

As a member of the largest group of Americans to ever pass through time together, we must take our place as the 'elders' of our time. We must practice 'self responsibility' and be 'others thinkers'. We must teach and gently encourage those in our spheres of influence.

I came across this quote and it touched me profoundly: "Education either functions as an instrument which is used to facilitate integration of the younger generation into the logic of the present system and bring about conformity, or it becomes the practice of freedom, the means by which men and women deal critically and creatively with reality and discover how to participate in the transformation of their world."

Paulo Freire

The word 'education' has the Latin root word 'duc' which means 'to lead'. We can begin to educate to bring about the practice of freedom and transformation of our world or we can continue to let THEM educate our children down the first road of conformity to the present system.

I make a call to ALL baby boomers to become the responsible 'elder' of your sphere of influence. There was a time in the late 60's when we had a meeting of spirit and proclaimed "down with the establishment" and in a very short time, nothing was ever the same again. Some of the change was good and some didn't work but the point is, we DECIDED as a group and that group thought was POWERFUL. We have the numbers to DECIDE again...do you have the will to do this?
whalerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:25 AM   #2
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Attention Baby Boomers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalerider View Post
As a member of the largest group of Americans to ever pass through time together, we must take our place as the 'elders' of our time...I make a call to ALL baby boomers to become the responsible 'elder' of your sphere of influence. There was a time in the late 60's when we had a meeting of spirit and proclaimed "down with the establishment" and in a very short time, nothing was ever the same again. Some of the change was good and some didn't work but the point is, we DECIDED as a group and that group thought was POWERFUL. We have the numbers to DECIDE again...do you have the will to do this?
RIGHT ON!

I've been feeling this in my heart for the last few years, and trying to take action in the very way you have suggested! It is amazing how many young people are hungry to be mentored. I've been fortunate to work with a succession of young people, and several have become my friends and dedicated hiking buddies.

Many are angry, disillusioned, and lost. Sound familiar? Whalerider's right: this is something we need to be united in doing.

whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote