Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
historycircus

Question The Goodbye Thread / Options To stay

I have just read the post announcing Avalon's change to subscription, and like many here I will no longer be able to post when that change goes into effect. I understand the decision, and thank the Avalon PTB for the brief, yet worthwhile opportunity to engage others on the important issues that concern us all.

I started this thread to say goodbye to some of the good people here - friends I hope I see eventually on the other side - and for others who cannot subscribe to post their own fare-the-wells.

It has been fun, and you all be good.

Cheers
Old 11-19-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Default Re: The Goodbye Thread

If you cannot afford the minimal option of $1 per month, there will be other options available. Some members will gift in those who cannot pay. You could help out the project in some way. Just let us know ... post a Private Message to me or post here if you would like to find an option to stay.

The only limit is the lack of imagination to pursue solutions. We will do what is possible for those who want to stay.

For those who are leaving based on philosophical objections, without some income, Bill and Kerry will not be able to continue their work. This subscription fee is just one of many ideas, but others will take more time to implement.

Brainstorming ideas is encouraged. Please do not be disparaged or disparaging.

Karen

Last edited by Karen; 11-19-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Ampgod
Avalon Senior Member

I propose PC be kept entirely separate form PA forum.
If you need money for your interviews/traveling and such then state that on PC.
If people don't give money for PC Interviews etc. support...then it shall stop.
Don’t make PA pay for PC’s lack of income.

This forum should remain, in my personal opinion, free and open to all.

Last edited by Ampgod; 11-19-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Ampgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #4
MAP
Avalon Senior Member

Location: click sing along with me =) ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn0bgdsCxXE
Default Re: The Goodbye Thread / Options To stay

can someone post a link to where they have announced they are now charging to belong to the site?
MAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
firefly
Avalon Senior Member

Well I'm sorry that some members do not feel that the information here on this forum is not worthy of $60 per year. I am on a small government pension but I would be happy to forgo a small luxury to obtain information that will only be available to me through a forum such as this because our government will be imposing strict access to any controversial websites. So I will be relying on the members here to inform me of info that I will not be able to obtain after January 09.

Perhaps if all those who can afford to subscribe paid an additional $12 per year they could pay for one more member that is not able to pay for themselves. I for one would be happy to do so.

Blessings to All

Love and friendship

firefly
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
Reunite
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
can someone post a link to where they have announced they are now charging to belong to the site?
http://projectavalon.net/forum/showt...2584#post82584
Reunite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
GregorArturo
Avalon Senior Member

I don't work and go to school full time, supported by my parents. I walk everywhere and try to survive on a meal a day. My only money goes to food, and food alone. I treat myself to the occasional drink out at a bar or coffee shop when it comes to discussing philosophy. So unless someone 'gifts' me membership or this subscription does not come to manifestation, I shall leave. I am very adamant about all knowledge being open source and free, even though our current economical structure begs to differ. I understand Bill and Kerry are working out of their own pockets, however, in reference to times like these, I would put freedom of access [to information] over support of more and new information. I think Avalon alone has divulged more information than Bill and Kerry [with Project Camelot] have this fall alone (and I say that in the most positive respects) in terms of the information and networking I have gained from Project Avalon.

As I said in an earlier post, action and physical networking has surpassed that of the amassing of knowledge. We must begin to act versus standing and watching.

As with the ancient Chinese proverb, "To know and not to do, is not to know." This is the era that has recently falling upon us [with the sixth day of the Mayan calendar].

I honestly feel Bill and Kerry should stress donations and maybe have some kind of fundraiser. I think there are better options out there than this.

I feel I have gained sufficient ground with networking already, and can easily be on my way. However, I feel I will lose out on the sharing of my research and theoretical concepts. Hopefully, I can get someone to host me a website (as I recently did not renew mine due to finances, and something else that seemed more of a luxury than a necessity), which I might try to get through my university.

Namaste.
GregorArturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:39 AM   #8
Rebel4Life
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampgod View Post
I propose PC be kept entirely separate form PA forum.
If you need money for your interviews/traveling and such then state that on PC.
If people don't give money for PC Interviews etc. support...then it shall stop.
Don’t make PA pay for PC’s lack of income.

This forum should remain, in my personal opinion, free and open to all.
Dito.
Rebel4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:39 AM   #9
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Gregor, I will put you on the list for a donated membership. I think everyone that wants to be included here can still have posting access. And yes, we will consider other options. Your ideas are noted, as will be the ideas that everyone here presents. Who wants
to organize a fund raiser?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
Reunite
Avalon Senior Member

I too will be leaving when the subscription service is introduced in a weeks time as per Kerry's announcement. It has nothing to do with the affordability but on the principle of restricting free speech to be heard through monetary means. Now we don't have a choice to network and exchange resources amongst ourselves unless we pay with $$$ to conform with the owners idealogy saddens me.

I want to say a big thanks and goodbye to all the friends I have manifested over the last months and will be sticking to the Mass Consciousness Coalition schedule. Friends start networking face to face in your local area today as the main goal here was to share and exchange information to direct our energy towards a positive future together without limited constraints ie being controlled by money.

Money will dictate and hold souls in restraint as long as the corrupt system is in place.

I think not listening to 77% of their supporters suggesting other means to generate an income is career suicide, in saying that I wish Bill & Kerry all the best of luck in the future.

A warm thank you to all the mods who have invested alot of time and energy into the forum with no pay, you guys are truely gems in disguise.

See you on the other side
Reunite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:00 AM   #11
Myra
Avalon Senior Member

Unhappy Re: The Goodbye Thread / Options To stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Gregor, I will put you on the list for a donated membership. I think everyone that wants to be included here can still have posting access. And yes, we will consider other options. Your ideas are noted, as will be the ideas that everyone here presents. Who wants
to organize a fund raiser?
Karen, please put me on a list for donated membership.

I too am unable to pay for a subscription albeit a small one. I am out of work and my husband, my daughter, and I are struggling and we have no assets to sell. We have been behind on utility bills and have yet to come up with the money to fix our car so we can have it smogged and registered, among other things etc. etc. I won't go on. I'm not trying to get sympathy, it just is what it is.
Myra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:19 AM   #12
SoulSuspect

Default Goodbye project avalon

Well seeing as I wont be paying for the new forum. Which makes sense by the way I do think you should charge for it if you cant afford it, im not a hater. I just wanted to say GoodBye To Avalon its was pretty rad! When exactly does the forum start charging by the way and if I suddenly change my mind and become a paying member will you guys still edit as many posts as you already have or will there be more freedom due to the fact that one is a paying member?
Old 11-19-2008, 02:23 AM   #13
bluestix
Avalon Senior Member

As much as I hate to say it, advertising is probably the more lucrative way to go.

With a subscription forum you will probably make ~$2000/yr if you are lucky.

With advertising on a site that has ~1M page views a month you can expect >$3K/month in revenue.

You also don't severely limit the amount of content on the site.
bluestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:27 AM   #14
bluestix
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestix View Post
As much as I hate to say it, advertising is probably the more lucrative way to go.

Bill Hicks on Marketing, from his 1990's standup routine Revelations. Transcripts from here and here, reformatted to my taste. Official Bill Hicks site here.

-----

By the way if anyone here is in advertising or marketing... kill yourself.

No, no, no it's just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day, they'll take root - I don't know. You try, you do what you can. Kill yourself.

Seriously though, if you are, do.

Aaah, no really, there's no rationalization for what you do and you are Satan's little helpers. Okay - kill yourself - seriously. You are the ruiner of all things good, seriously. No this is not a joke, you're going, "there's going to be a joke coming," there's no ******* joke coming. You are Satan's spawn filling the world with bile and garbage. You are ****** and you are ******* us. Kill yourself. It's the only way to save your ******* soul, kill yourself.

Planting seeds. I know all the marketing people are going, "he's doing a joke..." there's no joke here whatsoever. Suck a tail-pipe, ******* hang yourself, borrow a gun from a Yank friend - I don't care how you do it. Rid the world of your evil ******* makinations. Machi... Whatever, you know what I mean.

I know what all the marketing people are thinking right now too, "Oh, you know what Bill's doing, he's going for that anti-marketing dollar. That's a good market, he's very smart."

Oh man, I am not doing that. You ******* evil scumbags!

"Ooh, you know what Bill's doing now, he's going for the righteous indignation dollar. That's a big dollar. A lot of people are feeling that indignation. We've done research - huge market. He's doing a good thing."

Godammit, I'm not doing that, you scum-bags! Quit putting a godamm dollar sign on every ******* thing on this planet!

"Ooh, the anger dollar. Huge. Huge in times of recession. Giant market, Bill's very bright to do that."

God, I'm just caught in a ******* web.

"Ooh the trapped dollar, big dollar, huge dollar. Good market - look at our research. We see that many people feel trapped. If we play to that and then separate them into the trapped dollar..."

How do you live like that? And I bet you sleep like ******* babies at night, don't you?

"What didya do today honey?"

"Oh, we made ah, we made ah arsenic a childhood food now, goodnight." [snores] "Yeah we just said you know is your baby really too loud? You know?" [snores] "Yeah, you know the mums will love it." [snores]

Sleep like ******* children, don't ya, this is your world isn't it?
bluestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:38 AM   #15
watchZEITGEISTnow
Avalon Senior Member

I don't really mind paying a small fee, but my issue is with how you pay, and then your anonymity has gone, and even though it will only goto PC/PA I don't like the idea of paypal having these details which can be passed onto third parties, such as those that may use this as a form of databasing.

So I will still read the posts here, but just not be able to post... which is ok I guess.

My thoughts anyway.

wZn
watchZEITGEISTnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:43 AM   #16
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchZEITGEISTnow View Post
I don't really mind paying a small fee, but my issue is with how you pay, and then your anonymity has gone, and even though it will only goto PC/PA I don't like the idea of paypal having these details which can be passed onto third parties, such as those that may use this as a form of databasing. So I will still read the posts here, but just not be able to post... which is ok I guess.
There will be options other than paypal for payment. And there are options other than paying in the first place. PM me if interested. Karen
Old 11-19-2008, 02:51 AM   #17
Dusty Nothing
Avalon Senior Member

It's a pretty sad thing, I won't be able to afford to post anymore.
ah well, should be used to these kind of things happening by now

I think you should definatly consider having at least just one advertisement on the forum, that alone would make some money, most forums or any concept infact that changes to a subscription seems to fail inevitabley, route of all evil n all.
I obviously don't want bill to start hocking doritos but maybe advertisements are a good idea, we see them all the time anyway, I've learnt not to pay attention whatsoever.
Dusty Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:08 AM   #18
Truther21
Avalon Senior Member

Well it probably for the best.... soon enough I will shut down my internet anyhow, I have seen what I need to see. I know enough to survive.

Peace
Truther21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:22 AM   #19
Undooz
Avalon Senior Member

Stepping back and viewing this situation with a wider lens shows me that I've seen this before;
watched this kind of creative arc span from pertinent to banal on many projects of many different flavors.

The time it's taken to go from brilliant to consummate has varied but the rearing of the monetary horse
has seemingly throw nearly all the riders time and again.

The word 'subscription' is heavily loaded in the sense that it implies content released on a set schedule.
To be a 'member' of the body of offerings that Camelot and Avalon hold sounds far better than being a mere 'subscriber'.

A stark reminder that our words create worlds; choose them with care.

Having already begun to pull away from Avalon after the first few weeks of golden threads and drifting away from Camelot gradually
over the last few moons has given me the space in which to digest the wonderful things I've learned in that not so distant past.

Whatever paths you choose, the best to you always.

Undooz
Undooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:48 AM   #20
enacae
Avalon Senior Member

Well I hate to go, but I just can't pay anything right now. Good luck and God speed to Bill Ryan and Kerry Cassidy. Love ya!
enacae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:26 AM   #21
Deoxyan

asking for money is an error, period.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:05 AM   #22
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

This might sound kind of, well, I guess it doesn't matter how it sounds, but don't we have any wealthy members here? Can't somebody just throw in a large donation to help out those less fortunate! I know I would if I could, and if times were different, as in any other time but now, I'd throw in a few grand just to help and get that"feel good" feeling of knowing I helped out several thousand people! It doesn't matter if you agree with the subscription or not, the time to help is NOW so nobody has to leave.
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #23
no caste

I am NOT in favour of a paid subscription. The magic of this forum is its openness, diversity, inclusiveness... It's helped me in many ways, so many interesting perspectives - if one went missing it would be a loss.

So, Kerry and Bill, I would rather you postpone a decision. Solicit donations on Camelot. See what happens. Given this stark choice today, I would donate at least an annual subscription or 2 there, right away.

If in a month you see that members here are all talk and no action (i.e. no money comes into Camelot), then so be it. We knew your realities and we made a choice about it, i.e. did nothing. I figure we can't complain, at that time.

As far as merchandising goes, I feel the world has enough of it already. The only exceptions for me are music and books, which can run rampant any time. I'll probably buy your eBook. Knowledge should be open source, a growth industry.

I repeat: I am NOT in favour of a paid subscription.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:47 AM   #24
crowmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman62 View Post
This might sound kind of, well, I guess it doesn't matter how it sounds, but don't we have any wealthy members here? Can't somebody just throw in a large donation to help out those less fortunate! I know I would if I could, and if times were different, as in any other time but now, I'd throw in a few grand just to help and get that"feel good" feeling of knowing I helped out several thousand people! It doesn't matter if you agree with the subscription or not, the time to help is NOW so nobody has to leave.

as far as i know someone did offer to pay a whole years worth for everyone
and obviously it was turned down.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:52 AM   #25
Dominic
Avalon Senior Member

I am not going anywhere.

Spread the Love,

Not the fear.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote