Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

View Poll Results: Do You Think Hillary Clinton will become Secretary of State?
Yes .. 5 45.45%
No ... Never ;( 2 18.18%
Maybe ... it's Possible ! o_o 3 27.27%
Undecided .. hmmmm .. >:\ 1 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Reuters
Avalon Senior Member

Question Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State?

Obama Camp Will Not Confirm Or Deny... Clinton Seen Flying To Chicago Thursday... Not Clear Whether She Met Obama... Trial Balloon Or Serious Possibility?... Bill Richardson, John Kerry Want The Job...

There are numerous reports tonight that Hillary Clinton may be under consideration for Secretary of State in the Obama administration.

From the Washington Post:

There's increasing chatter in political circles that the Obama camp is not overly happy with the usual suspects for secretary of state these days and that the field might be expanding somewhat beyond Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), Gov. Bill Richardson (D-N.M.), Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) and maybe former Democratic senator Sam Nunn of Georgia.

There's talk, indeed, that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) may now be under consideration for the post. Her office referred any questions to the Obama transition; Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor declined to comment.

And NBC's Andrea Mitchell reports:

Two Obama advisers have told NBC News that Hillary Clinton is under consideration to be secretary of state. Would she be interested? Those who know Clinton say possibly. But her office says that any decisions about the transition are up to the president-elect and his team.

Clinton was seen taking a flight to Chicago today, but an adviser says it was on personal business. It is unknown whether she had any meeting or conversation with Obama while there.

According to CNN:

One source close to Hillary Clinton tells CNN that as of early yesterday, Senator Clinton had not been contacted by the transition team about a possible cabinet appointment. This same source tells CNN that Senator Clinton would not necessarily dismiss such an offer.

A spokesman for Hillary Clinton, Philippe Reines, tells CNN "Any speculation about cabinet or other administration appointments is really for President-Elect Obama's transition team to address."

On Monday night, while walking into an awards ceremony in New York, Senator Clinton was asked if she would consider taking a post in the Obama administration. She replied, "I am happy being a Senator from New York, I love this state and this city. I am looking at the long list of things I have to catch up on and do. But I want to be a good partner and I want to do everything I can to make sure his agenda is going to be successful."

And sources tell ABC News that discussions about Clinton being asked to accept the post are "very serious."
Reuters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State?

Hi Reuters,

I hate to go off topic, and I know this is kinda silly, but I'm just too curious.

I was wondering why we need a poll for this?

I posted a thread which was the just the link to the (Reuters oddly enough) story an hour before you posted this (I try to remember to do a search before I post a news thread to keep the forum tidy). Is there something that we can gain here w/ a poll that I'm missing?

Anyway I was really curious as to why you start so many poll threads? And I'm like 99% sure that this is innocent, but they all have foregone the anonymity option so we can all see the usernames of people who vote and for which option.That's not necessarily a bad thing, but w/ the abundance of polls, I can't help but think that maybe there is some sort of data cataloguing going on? I'm sure that's not the case but I'm just really curious I guess.

Sorry if this out of line at all, but my curiosity won't leave me be sometimes.
raulduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
historycircus

It should not come as any surprise that Bam-Bam would have to accomodate the Clintons in some fashion. Any position that Hillary takes, Bill is part of the package. There was no way, NO WAY, that that would have worked for the Vice Presidency. So Bam-Bam beat her for the nomination, and didn't want her in the way as VP, but the Clinton camp does not like to be ignored. They are true power mongers, and have great sway over a good deal of the Democratic Party's constiuency. The only way Obama can keep his coalition together is to throw the Clinton camp a bone. Secretary of State is an important position, but discretion is exercised in accordance with the President on major decisions, and her appointment to the Sec. o' State would get her out of the Senate - and that works for me.

Remember the first rule of war and politics - keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. Perhaps this is what Bam-Bam is shooting for here . . .
Old 11-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
dagon
Avalon Senior Member

what happens if obama dies? who takes the vp seat?
dagon is offline   Reply With Quote