Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

View Poll Results: Have you any martial arts training - if so how much
No - None 19 27.94%
Yes: 0-24 months 15 22.06%
Yes: 2-9 years 20 29.41%
Yes: 10-20 years 9 13.24%
20 + years : OR senior mastery (teaches /grades black belts) 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #26
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Default Re: Martial Arts - Have you trained or not?

Aerobic kick boxing trainer....not real martial arts but it brought the "evenness" that I always lacked.

I'd did 6 classes a week for 3 hours a night.

Best shape I was ever in.

Peace
Stargazer1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #27
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Post Re: Martial Arts - Have you trained or not?

Last edited by Luminari; 02-11-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Luminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #28
gita
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer1965 View Post
Boy...he was outclassed....
She's pretty good but her problem is that she's so darn lazy and can't be bothered to put in the extra effort - drives me nuts. Her sensei wants to put her in competitions but she's not that way inclined which I find quiet refreshing - plus she says that if she ever gets in a ring she probably get her **** kicked - that's my gal!
gita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #29
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

I began Martial Arts with shaolin Kung Fu for about 5-6 years. Then trained in Brazil 4 years Brasilian Jiu-jitsu, since then I keep training Jiu-jitsu, but on and off since the birth of my kids. It's been over 20 years now and still have the passion for the do-jo.

I tasted a bit of Shintaido, created by master Aoki in Japan, amazing man.

Namaste, Steven
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #30
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-d View Post
...I think Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Japanese Jiu Jitsu are different although i cant say for sure because ive never studied the japenese style...
Yes, they are different. The Gracie familly largely adapted japanese jiu-jitsu for street fighting. Even now in Brasil, there is two different school of jiu-jitsu. The Gracie technic and the southern newer form which have detached from the Gracie familly.

What we know as UFC existe since almost 100 years in Brasil called 'Vale Tudo'. The Gracie have adapted the japanese jiu-jitsu for this kind of fight.

Namaste, Steven
Old 02-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #31
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulduke View Post
...If you're in a street fight with a jiu-jitsu player and have no grappling or submission experience, you'll likey be asleep in a very short time...
Maybe I shouldnt mention it here, but I know what you are talking about, because I did it, twice, legitimate defense.

Namaste, Steven
Old 02-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #32
Peace of mind
Avalon Senior Member

I grew up learning Tai chi, boxing and some Capoeira. Tai Chi is my favorite, especially the discipline and the principles of oneness with nature. Hope I will never have to use what I learned in self defense.

Peace
Peace of mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #33
Shaynard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminari View Post
Hi Anchor, yes Aikido a bit here and there for the last 20 years..

Its purely defensive and quite spiritual in orientation.

One of my favorite arts right there. I have had the pleasure of meeting and training with many "famous" martial artists and teachers. While training in several arts. Aikido is one of my personal favorites. I really love the gui.

There is a lot more Jeet Kune Do being taught than most hear about. It is tricky however as many read the Tao and believe they know the art. It really is much more of a philosophy than a style. I prefer to call it the anti-style. It is efficient. A blend of the spirit and the body and the mind in perfect motion. (Not to say others are not, at all)

Thank you for this thread Anchor.. I was curious as well.

In light, of love
Shaynard
Shaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #34
Mercuriel
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs up Re: Martial Arts - Have you trained or not?

Yi Dan (2nd Degree) in WTF Tae Kwon Do...

Cho Dan (1st Degree) in Hapkido

Nidan (1st Degree) in Shotokan Karate...

Qinghu Si Duan : Blue Tiger (4th Degree) in Southern Hung Gar Tiger Claw Gung/Kung Fu...

Ex-MIL too...

Mercuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #35
TRANCOSO
Avalon Senior Member

Black belt Wado Kai karate
Master degree Tai Ming
TRANCOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #36
Firstlook
Avalon Senior Member

The only Martial Arts training I had was when I was 12, in a Youth center program. I think it was only for a couple of months and nothing really serious. I do remember being told that it was for the benefit of all us angry kids. I think it was a good idea. But alot of the parents got mad at the councilors for teaching us to be better "fighters". Of course that wasn't really what it was about.

I'd like to get into it eventually. I need alot of stretching though.

peace
Firstlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #37
lucrum
Avalon Senior Member

To be honest, back when I was training Tae Kwon Do my trainer told us something that really stuck: "We do not train Tae Kwon Do to learn how to fight, we train it to learn how not to fight"

If I am to train any form of martial arts, I require the club to be of a non-violent nature. There have been a few Karate clubs around here that have been promoting a tough guy image and teaching fairly young kids all sorts of ways to injure another human being.

In my mind, first rule of fighting is avoiding the fight alltogether. Even running away is better than actually fighting, if at all possible. You avoid injuring someone or being injured yourself.
lucrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #38
Firstlook
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucrum View Post
To be honest, back when I was training Tae Kwon Do my trainer told us something that really stuck: "We do not train Tae Kwon Do to learn how to fight, we train it to learn how not to fight"

If I am to train any form of martial arts, I require the club to be of a non-violent nature. There have been a few Karate clubs around here that have been promoting a tough guy image and teaching fairly young kids all sorts of ways to injure another human being.

In my mind, first rule of fighting is avoiding the fight alltogether. Even running away is better than actually fighting, if at all possible. You avoid injuring someone or being injured yourself.
Right. Thats the general Idea as far as I see it.

peace

Last edited by Firstlook; 02-09-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Firstlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #39
Mercuriel
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs up Re: Martial Arts - Have you trained or not?

Yes - It is this fact - That You are an expert in the Martial Arts that You can or should be able to avoid most Violence...

The Art of Not-Fighting.

It is Not-Fighting as the Practitioner should be able to carry Himself/Herself in such a manner that a Confrontation is not necessary.

Those that Confront are Fighters - Not Martial Artists. They only start Fights because They have no way to deal with issues other than Violence or Intimidation.

Many of You already know this but the True Martial Artist is balanced and walks from a Fight as there is no need to Fight. They only Fight when provoked to do so and even then - They use the Attackers' own Strengths against Them by Defending from Blows the Attacker levies against Them.

Quote:
It is like a Finger pointing its way to the Moon. Concentrate on the Finger and You will miss all the Heavenly Glory...

One must be as Water. Water Flows over everything. It is Gentle - It is soothing - It can erode Granite and is the most Fluid Force in the World. Be Water My Friend...

My Sifu used to say - "Fighters start Fights - Martial Artists end Them"...
Mercuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #40
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

a few years of tae kwon do ... that was back when and i'm not certain i'd remember any of it now ...

well ... i guess if i was in a nasty predicament ... i'd probably remember some thing pretty darn quick if i had to

one thing i do remember are the same words you were told lucrum ...
"We do not train Tae Kwon Do to learn how to fight, we train it to learn how not to fight" ...

some words just never escape us ...

futureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #41
Neo
Avalon Senior Member

I did wing chun for a couple of years and was greatly inspired by the late, great bruce lee. Anyone read his book 'Tao of Jeet Kune Do'? He had a wonderful spiritual connection and philosophy to life, a very wise man indeed.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #42
Shaynard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
I bruce lee. Anyone read his book 'Tao of Jeet Kune Do'?

I have several times to mention just one "connection". I agree with your conclusion on the Tao. ( I mentioned this book in an above post, as well as other "hints" towards that man )

~Be water my friend~

In jest: I was expecting you (Neo) to post.. "I know Kung Fu!" or "I'm gonna learn jujitsu?"..

In light, of love
Shaynard
Shaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #43
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Maybe I shouldnt mention it here, but I know what you are talking about, because I did it, twice, legitimate defense.

Namaste, Steven
Yeah, I've been there too. That's what I always liked about bjj, if you're good, you can disable an opponent without getting hurt or having to hurt them. I work in a bar, and there's been a few times where a drunk gets rambunctious and got put to sleep. They always swing wild and leave their head hanging out there for a quick guillotine or d'arce choke. They'll wake up right away from a blood choke, the carotid opens up instantly when you let go, just hafta know when to, to protect the chokee as it were. Waking up on the floor usually humbles 'em pretty quickly.
raulduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #44
Swanny
I dont need a label !

I did Shotokai Karate when I was 15 for almost two years. Our teacher didn't believe in grading so we only graded once after 3 months and never again. I tried Shotokan but didn't like that. I have now been doing Shotokai again for a year now my class is only me and two 3rd dan black belts so I get very good teaching.

Seems like we are a force to be reckoned with
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #45
Neo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaynard View Post
I have several times to mention just one "connection". I agree with your conclusion on the Tao. ( I mentioned this book in an above post, as well as other "hints" towards that man )

~Be water my friend~

In jest: I was expecting you (Neo) to post.. "I know Kung Fu!" or "I'm gonna learn jujitsu?"..

In light, of love
Shaynard

lol...... I was going to type that, not even thinking at the time about the matrix scene and yes, just saw your post. I am guilty of not ready them all first time round also agree with you, Jeet Kune Do is much more a philosophy rather than a rigid style. "Use no limitation as limitation and no way as way"

I had the privellige of being taught under William Cheung and also got to hear a little personal insight into his history with Bruce. Both are legends in my view.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:21 AM   #46
Tali
Avalon Senior Member

I trained in FT Lauderdale Murphy's law of martial arts back in 2002 Ben Murphy's that is. You are gonna find a few of his friends frequenting this forum as if he can't defend himself we will.

Also Krav Maaga the best form of self defense imo, not ring fighting. Tai Chi is not bad for mobility and chillaxing the bod.
Tali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #47
NicholaQuinn
Avalon Senior Member

Wink Re: Martial Arts - Have you trained or not?

Muay Thai, but would have loved to have a go at womens MMA.x
NicholaQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #48
voltus
Avalon Senior Member

taekwondo blackbelt and ninjitsu sensei

Last edited by voltus; 02-15-2010 at 05:25 PM.
voltus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #49
DOMINIC 777
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltus View Post
taekwando blackbelt and ninjitsu sensei
yes i did Tae Kwon Do and brown belt in japanese karate..1st kyu
DOMINIC 777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #50
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulduke View Post
Yeah, I've been there too. That's what I always liked about bjj, if you're good, you can disable an opponent without getting hurt or having to hurt them. I work in a bar, and there's been a few times where a drunk gets rambunctious and got put to sleep. They always swing wild and leave their head hanging out there for a quick guillotine or d'arce choke. They'll wake up right away from a blood choke, the carotid opens up instantly when you let go, just hafta know when to, to protect the chokee as it were. Waking up on the floor usually humbles 'em pretty quickly.
Hehe, I can imagine the scene... In brasil, this choke is called 'Mata Leon'. Means 'lion killer'. Still my favorite...

Namaste, Steven