Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > Africa > SOUTH AFRICA

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Alterego
Avalon Senior Member

Default Time to leave Europe

I've decided it's time to leave Ireland, and head back to South Africa...

Recent world events have led me to the conclusion that the further from Europe i get the better. I have two weeks left at work, have given my car back to the finance company (hehe) getting my house rented out and half way through packing, then...gone

I'm in the fortunate position where my father has some land with 3 houses on it, one of which i'm moving into; and already has work lined up...

The plan is to get as self sufficient over there as possible, and see whatever the future brings

Last edited by Alterego; 06-02-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Alterego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Default Re: Time to leave Europe

Hi Alterego,

I'm sure that you're doing the right thing, especially because you have family in South Africa and the fact that South Africa is one of the few more peaceful areas on the planet.

I did the same (only without the family) back in 91 when I came to Brazil. Even if over here the country gets dragged into a war, I can still get off to the more remote countryside where I have a small farm.

It seems that the US is losing international strength and is trying to get the international community to fight its' battles - the military has already been stretched to its' limits.

So where do we go from here? The economic situation in Ireland I imagine is made far worse by the fact that the country used to be the most affluent in Europe, and even if the economy gets brought down to the same level as the UK, the Irish population will feel the pinch more exactly because of this difference in lifestyle.

here in Brazil, the lifestyle is much more modest, even could be called pimitive by certain standards, which makes the fall more manageable as there will be little change in living standards.

But all said and done, when you get back to South Africa, don't forget that the internet is global and continue posting informing how you are getting on and adapting.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterego View Post
I've decided it's time to leave Ireland, and head back to South Africa...

Recent world events have led me to the conclusion that the further from Europe i get the better. I have two weeks left at work, have given my car back to the finance company (hehe) getting my house rented out and half way through packing, then...gone

I'm in the fortunate postion where my father has some land with 3 houses on it, one of which i'm moving into; and already has work lined up...

The plan is to get as self sufficient over there as possible, and see whatever the future brings
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterego View Post
Good move!

Maybe reconsider what you do with your house - it seems to me there is a strong case for selling it while you can and the Euro is still working. Managing a rental from SA isnt going to be easy, even if you can find someone trusting to proxy for you.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi Anchor,

I wouldn't sell the house.... yet. Whilst house prices have gone down drastically over the last couple of years, the price of rent hasn't gone down too much.

There are professional housing adminstrators that can manage your property whilst you are away. They charge around 5% of the price of the rent each week / month / renting period which isn't too bad.

Also you will have piece of mind as these companies also have a legal department which they use at no extra cost to the contractor, in case of defaulting tenants.

You can sell a house only once, but you can rent a house and have an income for years and years and years especially if South Africa is cheaper to live than where he was in Europe (I don't know how the Euro is facing up against the Rand these days). Also if he decided to return to Europe, he would have a house waiting for him.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Good move!

Maybe reconsider what you do with your house - it seems to me there is a strong case for selling it while you can and the Euro is still working. Managing a rental from SA isnt going to be easy, even if you can find someone trusting to proxy for you.

A..
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Alterego
Avalon Senior Member

Well things are moving along nicely, and things are falling into place... Had a viewing today by someone who wants to rent my house, and they're taking it, i finish work in two weeks, with a nice redundancy payment... All going well i'll be heading over beginning of July!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
skyrimirre
Avalon Senior Member

Are you looking for workers at your new place?
I'd be interested, possibly.
Let us know.
Sky
skyrimirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
Alterego
Avalon Senior Member

Hi all, been in SA a month now... and things are moving along nicely

Got some some transport sorted out, moving to the coast in a few weeks. I'll update as i get time

See ya