Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 10-19-2008, 04:28 AM   #1
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Tips for healthy weight loss?

Looking to lose weight again but admittedly, it will be difficult. I lost 130lbs back in 2005 mainly by calorie counting, eating better and lots of exercise. However, I gained back most of it over that time.

Mainly, I'm hoping to find a natural remedy for this. I tend to avoid gimmicks such as fat burners and other diet pills, which I just don't trust. When I lost weight, I took a supplement everyday and ate a diet high in fiber and low in saturated fat.

Any tips on getting back there? It's a lot more difficult now that I work a 3rd shift job and I've been eating 5-6 smaller meals a day instead of 3 meals a day.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:37 AM   #2
california
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Tips for healthy weight loss?

Great post!

I need help too!

I am 48 y.o. and I was never good at the weight loss thing.

I need to lose 50 pounds.

I exercise a LOT! Just did my first triathlon... I work out 4 - 5 hours per week... cardio and weight training.

Sooo... I know I have to put the new energy into the eating part.
california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
JoyAnna
Avalon Senior Member

I have lost about 30 lbs during the past 6 months or so. I am past 3 score and 10 years, have always had difficulty with achieving the proper weight, and have been insulin dependent diabetic for 36 years.

What I did: 1st, I looked up all the side effects of all the prescriptions I was taking. Yep, almost every one causes weight gain (plus other symptoms I experienced). I cannot stop the insulin, but began to gradually eliminate most of the others.

2nd, I consulted an Ayurvedic practitioner and made some substantial changes in the foods I have always eaten. This would be different for different types of body and personality types, but for me, the main changes were to eliminate wheat, oats, and cheese (all dairy), sugars, and cut coffee down to 1 cup/day instead of a pot/day. I added hot spices, pungent tastes, and ghee (for fat). We added a couple of other herbal blends specific to my own make-up and problems. So now I am eating mostly a variety of whole grains, veggies and fruit, and small portions of meat, all organic, of course.

I am thrilled with the results. I am not missing the Rxs, have cut the amount of insulin required drastically, have a lot more energy and just generally feel a lot better. Now I feel more assured I'll be around to see how all this commotion in our world turns out.
JoyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

I purchased oxyC online and then discovered that I could make my own, Colloidal Silver and I have actually LOST weight and I feel 100% better.

I was surprised about the weight lost but I'm happy.. I no longer feel hungry all the time.

Plus I'm happy
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:46 AM   #5
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntruthseeker View Post
I purchased oxyC online and then discovered that I could make my own, Colloidal Silver and I have actually LOST weight and I feel 100% better.

I was surprised about the weight lost but I'm happy.. I no longer feel hungry all the time.

Plus I'm happy
Colloidal silver aids in weight loss? Is this what you mean?

I've found that sticking to whole wheat is a good way to control weight. Fills you up faster. I think I'll have to take a trip to the supermarket this week and start stocking up on stuff that I need. I have the money but for some reason, I never stick to my promises to myself to lose weight.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
aiwass322
Project Avalon Member

Whole wheat is great. Exchange white rice for bulgur wheat during meals. Pasta for raw rice and so on...

But mainly cutting down on carbohydrates (potatoes, rice, pasta, bread) is a good trick. Western culture incorporates to much of this as it is. Eat any meal that you enjoy but eat about 1/2 or 1/3 of the carbs. Im not trying any Atkins mumbo jumbo here, it just works for me at least.

Excersice is most important. Maximize output against input.
aiwass322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
siriusly
Avalon Senior Member

Hi All

My first post.. love the forum here.. so many sensible people!!

Weight loss.. I too have been tackling this demon... I have found EFT to be successful to help with motivation and also to cut cravings.. there is a lot of information on youtube and also www.emofree.com about this technique.

Also - for blood sugar control - cinnamon - this has been proven in some studies. http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/cinnamon.htm
You don't need to buy cinnamon tablets - in fact they didn't work for me - just use the basic stuff - add it too food etc.. works really well for candida too as its a natural anti-fungal...

Siriusly
siriusly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
Baggywrinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by End_Times012 View Post
Looking to lose weight again but admittedly, it will be difficult. I lost 130lbs back in 2005 mainly by calorie counting, eating better and lots of exercise. However, I gained back most of it over that time.

Mainly, I'm hoping to find a natural remedy for this. I tend to avoid gimmicks such as fat burners and other diet pills, which I just don't trust. When I lost weight, I took a supplement everyday and ate a diet high in fiber and low in saturated fat.

Any tips on getting back there? It's a lot more difficult now that I work a 3rd shift job and I've been eating 5-6 smaller meals a day instead of 3 meals a day.
The graveyard shift is a major contributor to the weight
gain. I worked night shift for five years and was never heavier in my life. Your catabolic steroid cycle is all
messed up. It takes a year to get back to some semblence of normal physically.

You already know the only natural remedy that works.
Exercise. But it cannot be exercise. It must be your lifestyle. My job requires being on my feet, lots of walking. Leaving night shift I lost a ton of weight. But I could still stand to lose more because I'm just not active
enough. Also remember that once you have the fat cells they never leave, even if the fat does. That is why most folks gain about ten pounds per decade. If you doubt it, spend a summer working as a white water rafting guide. Don't worry about what you eat and watch the weight pour off your body. In contemporary society
we don't know what active is. If your lifestyle is active you will be your high school weight all your life. If it isn't, your basal metabolic rate decreases along with your muscle mass and voila - the jeans no longer fit.

Do you doubt it? Meet Cougar Dave, a real Idaho mountain man.

Dave was in his eighties when this photo was taken in the early twentieth century. Was it good genetics? Possibly. So then look at this article about overcoming
the fat gene with lifestyle.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26611180/

Sell your car. Buy a bike. Sell your lawnmower buy a push mower. Quite your job. Leave the city. Buy a farm.
Yada yada yada. It is the lifestyle that is killing you.
That is the bitter truth.

p.s.

Look at recent research on the relationship of high fructose corn syrup to the epidemic of obesity and diabetes in
America. That stuff is in e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. It is bad news stuff.

Last edited by Baggywrinkle; 10-19-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Job involves me to be active most of the time, about 90% of it is physical labor (cleaning). I would say that I get quite a workout sometimes with the kinds of stuff I have to do.

My only reason for working third shift is to be able to take classes during the day and also because 3rd shift pays better. It should only take 2 years to complete my bachelors degree and then I am hoping I can get back to a normal shift with a higher paying job than what I currently have.

I'm a little over 6 months into this shift and I'm getting better at managing it everyday.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
AussieG
Avalon Senior Member

Sandy Roberts www.calm.com.au
Meditate for weight release (not loss, what you lose you can find) The meditation will alter your metabolic rate and also create sustainable eating habits. worked for me!
AussieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
You could always try the Billy Connolly diet :- Eat less, move more.

He was joking when he said it, but it is really the proper way.

Drink lots of water.

A..

PS: I heard a comedian say that the reason we get fat is for the simple reason that our A***hole is smaller than our mouth
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

Colloidal silver seems to make me feel like I come alive. It all has to do with the fact that it pushes through my cells, destroys all the fungus inside my body, so therefore desease dies off. I then stop using sugar and pop. I will still drink coffee but I stick mostly to tea.

I just noticed that I wasnt hungry all the time. I am ok with that as I was puffing out terribly from all the meds I was taken. I am completely off all my meds and am very happy that my pain pills went out the door with the rest. I use oxygen but I am working to heal my lungs now. I can use the colloidal silver in my nebulizer and it works great.

I read alot this but really only paid attention to the points that pretained to my family.

Anyhow, I'm sure you can get your nutrients from other food. I do use other vitamins and nutrients but I needed more for maintaining myself. I'm happy and I my lungs are also healing.

Every report I read said your lungs can not heal. BS. I have knocked down my level of usuage now from 4 to 2 or 3 during exercise. I feel that just getting my veins opened and the blood flowing from the silver does that.

This is a great healer and easy to make.
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

I have asthma/allergies that require an inhaler and medication and it just gets really bad once it gets colder out.

I'll see about exploring more. I think a trip to the grocery store to look at healthy food is in order along with a certain multivitamin that I want to look for (Nature's Path).
Old 10-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #14
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

Dr bob beck said he lost loads of weight when he started zapping. Google "silver zapper" from Sota it makes collidial silve and cleans your blood. I've lost 30kg in about a year and it was by doing the Billy Connily method

Yes work 'kills' it should have a government warning on it!
Connecting with Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
Ampgod
Avalon Senior Member

I have some tips that worked for me.

Here are a few things I did.
-Eat whole foods grown straight from the ground.
-Quit processed foods.
-Quit Most Acidic foods.
-Eat more Alkaline foods.
-Study the PH Balance.
-Quit refined sugar.
-Quit false energy things like Coffee, RED BULL, MONSTER DRINKS etc.
-They mess with your system big time. They bring you up only to have you crash hard. Not good.
-Quit fermented foods. That means no Cheese! Anything that is old or moldy (in my opinion) doesn't belong in your body.
-Increase your veggies and fruits to 80% of diet.
-Lean meats like Chicken, Turkey, Fish are good.
-Quit Red Meat and Pork
-Lower Bulk Carb intake. (less bread, less potato, less pasta etc)
-Of course much exercise! ( I walk 9 miles a week)
-Drink tons of good clean water.
-I started reading and investigating labels and ingredients on foods I eat. (Wiki them). (Learn about toxins in food supply)
-Quit fast food,processed sweets and soda
-Snack on fruits and nuts like almonds, pumpkin & sunflower seeds.
-No vitamin supplements! Only real food! No Pills!
-Eat only what you think "the Creator" intended for you to eat.
-Quit Dairy

Hope that helps,
Ampgod

Last edited by Ampgod; 10-21-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Ampgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
KingArthur
Avalon Senior Member

Cool Re: Tips for healthy weight loss?

GO RAW!!!

I lost nearly a kilo a week a year ago- (From 80 to 75)....

I pretty much ate what I wanted. It also caused a massive positive change in my mood/life.

David Wolfe, Gabriel Cousens, J Torres and Shazzie are some of the best out there.

I never bought any books, there are a huge amount of articles and vids on youtube.

Good Luck...

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll answer if I can.
KingArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #17
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

I'm following the "Body-for-Life" program by Bill Philips. He has a new blog called "Transformation". It is a great way to develop a workable routine. For example, I spent 20 minutes on some intense aerobics at the gym today.

I cut out bread, pasta, potatoes.

Susan, the eXchanger, also showed me a great nutritious meal replacement drink.

Quote:

Gnosis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #18
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Notice that almost all of the energy drinks contain Taurine? Did you know that you can purchase taurine by the bottle at a healthy food store?
Gnosis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #19
Morgan
Avalon Senior Member

Ok!

I lost 50lbs last year. I actually lost TOO MUCH weight, if you can believe that, I was underweight by about 15lbs so had to gain it back.

But, how I lost this weight, WITHOUT exercise (BTW I do not recommend not exercising, it was just a different vibe for me back then), is...

I just ate whole foods. Only whole foods. Everything I ate, 100% of it, literally made from scratch. No storebought ketchup, no mayo unless I made it, no sugar, no nothing out of a box or bag. It was whole foods. Honest. That's all I did. 50lbs came right off.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #20
Shellie
Banned

Water. Exercise. Drink lots of water. Your body can't metabolize and wash out anything if you don't drink water. Do you think fat just evaporates off your skin? No- you pee it out!

When you exercise, vary your activities. If you do too much of one thing your body becomes efficient at it and doesn't burn as quickly.
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:41 AM   #21
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampgod View Post
I have some tips that worked for me.

Here are a few things I did.
Quote:
-Eat whole foods grown straight from the ground.
If it correlates with the information below, I do have potatoes, which I really like to eat and I don't overload them with cheese most of the time. I can eat them with minimal spices and still feel satisfied. They are truly versatile, despite the carbs.

Quote:
-Quit processed foods.
Hard to do but worth a shot.

Quote:
-Quit Most Acidic foods.
-Eat more Alkaline foods.
-Study the PH Balance.
As an ecology student, we test soil pH often. I am slowly learning how soil pH works in the first place so that I can use it to my benefit.

Quote:
-Quit refined sugar.
Trying to. Eating more fruit if I desire something sweet.

Quote:
-Quit false energy things like Coffee, RED BULL, MONSTER DRINKS etc.
-They mess with your system big time. They bring you up only to have you crash hard. Not good.
I agree. I am trying to cut back here.

Quote:
-Quit fermented foods. That means no Cheese! Anything that is old or moldy (in my opinion) doesn't belong in your body.
So, no beer? That is also fermented and if you make it yourself, it contains a lot of Vitamin B in the form of yeast. I am a homebrewer.

Also, love cheese, especially if it's aged. Would be hard if not impossible to cut it completely out of my diet. Don't the French eat a lot of it and still stay healthy? (Or am I thinking of wine only?)

Quote:
-Increase your veggies and fruits to 80% of diet.
Working on it. Fruits are easier. Veggies are harder.

Quote:
-Lean meats like Chicken, Turkey, Fish are good
Love all of them but eat more of chicken and turkey than fish. Turkey is very versatile and I've had it in burgers and even in sausage form.
Quote:
-Quit Red Meat and Pork
Trying to. Still eat bacon and beef about 2-3 times a month and that's it. I have tried to stop eating breakfast sandwiches every morning and replace them with high fiber cereal (that is something I should always watch). I also enjoy pepperoni but need to cut that out as much as possible.

Quote:
-Lower Bulk Carb intake. (less bread, less potato, less pasta etc)
I feel that carbs can be offset with physical activity. I'm not going to give up eating whole grains because they are a good benefit to me.

Quote:
-Of course much exercise! ( I walk 9 miles a week)
Used to walk 12 miles a week. Need to try and get back into a similar habit. I doubt I can do it that easily but I do get quite a bit of exercise during the labs for my ecology course, which involve a ton of hiking and happen every week.

Quote:
-Drink tons of good clean water.
Won't drink water straight from the tap but can figure out how to get spring water for cheap. Can try using filter more or even reverse osmosis.

Quote:
-I started reading and investigating labels and ingredients on foods I eat. (Wiki them). (Learn about toxins in food supply)
Definitely a good idea to look at labels. I have always tried to

Quote:
-Quit fast food,processed sweets and soda
Again, working on this. Have not had diet soda for a week now. I don't even have the desire to eat at McDonalds or other fast food restaurants. Still have a weakness for pizza though.

Quote:
-Snack on fruits and nuts like almonds, pumpkin & sunflower seeds
Love fruit and nuts. I eat trail mix sometimes and I enjoy mixed nuts. You can buy mixed nuts with no or low salt as well..

Quote:
-No vitamin supplements! Only real food! No Pills!
Not even multivitamins? I can't guarantee that I can eat good everyday because of my schedule. I also feel healthier when I do take a multivitamin. Doctor has recommended it. Until I can find a situation where I can rely completely on natural foods, this is what I do.

Quote:
-Eat only what you think "the Creator" intended for you to eat.
Easier said than done. Besides, I'm not sure what the Creator wants me to eat. Hmm.

Quote:
-Quit Dairy
Ditto. I prefer to cut back on stuff like diary and meat than to cut it out completely. I like cheese and beef too much to ever give them up forever. I will never be able to embrace a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. That is just the truth here. I am also a Native American and I believe the creator wants us to eat food that is healthy and that includes beef (and to a much lesser extent, cheese and dairy) that do not include chemical additives, etc. If it worked for my ancestors, why change it?

Quote:
Hope that helps,
I appreciate your input.

Last edited by Humble Janitor; 10-26-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #22
oldpaganfreak
Avalon Senior Member

weight loss....hmmm...exercise, eat less and more sensibly?
oldpaganfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #23
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

In 2000 I took off about 80 lbs and achieved my teenage weight for the first time in 30 years. I did it by eating nearly 100% raw vegetables and fruits for a year. I felt fantastic, and I've kept the weight off.

It wasn't easy at first...many of the additives in food are addictive. But I now look good and feel great. I'm nearly 60 years old and in the best health of my life. Haven't seen a doctor in over a decade, nor a dentist either.

People object that buying proper supplements and eating organic is expensive. Balanced against the lack of medical expenses, I call it a very good investment.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #24
seekur3
Avalon Senior Member

Start with a Cleanse program (different kits available at health food stores). Not only will that help your body purge years of toxin buildup, but will help with learning a new diet regimen. I also juice veggies once a day for 1 of my daily meals. I've been juicing for over a month now, & feel better than I have in years.
seekur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #25
Jan44
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekur3 View Post
Start with a Cleanse program (different kits available at health food stores). Not only will that help your body purge years of toxin buildup, but will help with learning a new diet regimen. I also juice veggies once a day for 1 of my daily meals. I've been juicing for over a month now, & feel better than I have in years.
that is right way to do and you can add also colonics if one is ready.

In searching the net I found this site
http://www.hcgfatloss.com/
http://www.hcgfatloss.com/hcg-side-effects.htm
http://www.hcgfatloss.com/hcg-diet-p...in-trudeau.htm
http://www.hcgfatloss.com/hcg-couple.htm

I don’t fill the need for it now but maybe in the future who knows..
Jan44 is offline   Reply With Quote