Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 01-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Default Record-breaking heat scorches southern Australia

MELBOURNE, Australia – Southern Australia suffered Friday from a record-breaking heat wave that has threatened rural towns with wildfires and sent ambulance crews after heat-stressed patients.

Melbourne, Australia's second-largest city recorded its third consecutive day of temperatures above 43 degrees Celsius (109 F) for the first time since 1855, when record-keeping began, the Bureau of Meteorology said.

The temperature in Melbourne topped 45.1 C (113 F) on Friday ahead of a cooler change that might even bring some thunder showers, the bureau said.

Adelaide, the other major city on the south coast, is expected to match its longest heat wave in a century by Monday, with six consecutive days exceeding 40 C (104 F). The heat there buckled train and tram lines.

The high temperatures have afflicted tennis players and spectators alike this week at the Australian Open in Melbourne, where men's No. 3 seed Novak Djokovic retired ill from a game Tuesday after heat-related complaints.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090130/...alia_heat_wave
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Question Re: Record-breaking heat scorches southern Australia

Sounds like more extreme weather? I am not that familar with Melbourne's summers, but isn't this way beyond the norms for that Southern Australian city??
How about it> our Aussie's friends any insight??
giovonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Kosams
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Record-breaking heat scorches southern Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovonni View Post
Sounds like more extreme weather? I am not that familar with Melbourne's summers, but isn't this way beyond the norms for that Southern Australian city??
How about it> our Aussie's friends any insight??
Sorry for the lateness of this reply. Yes, it's been hot here in Adelaide with temps up in the 40's but it's not uncommon for it to go to 40 but this year we saw it constantly in the mid 40s. Today the temp was in the mid 30's but it going back up by Friday. We have been lucky as there have been no serious bushfires to date. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...1-2702,00.html

Kosams
Kosams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Rain-battered Australian state on snake alert

SYDNEY – Rain-battered residents in northeastern Australia were on alert Wednesday for snakes in their bathrooms and crocodiles in the road following repeated storms that have sent local wildlife in search of dry land or a safe haven.

More than half of Queensland state was declared a disaster area Tuesday because of the rains that started in late December and are expected to continue.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090204/...stralia_floods
Old 02-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
AussieG
Avalon Senior Member

Being a Melbournite tomorrow we will be frying our eggs on the pavement. The weather in January is usually hot. The Tennis for years has been trying to change to a cooler time. Although the successive days of extreme heat is not normal, ie. the breaking of records, by the way in the last five years we have broken nearly all records from the coldest, to the wettest, to the driest, to the hottest, etc. While in the north of our big brown land we have crocodiles swimming in flooded lounge rooms, in the south it is so dry even the flies can't get a drink.

I think something might be afoot, GLOBAL WARNING
AussieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Flooded up North
Burning down South

Just wanted to say the weather has been great here lately in Bris Vegas!

All the best to everyone up north who have crocodiles swiming in their backyards and a cyclone on the way! Have fun guys it won't last.
Luminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi Dantheman62,

Records were made to be broken. Next year I'm sure that the Australians will think it's a lot cooler than last year (if you understand my drift).

It's like the athlete that breaks the 100 meter record in the Olympics. Is he a superhuman, or merely a human that has trained to run fast?

Will he be the fastest man for ever? Probably not.

Will there be hotter days in Australia in the future? Probably.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman62 View Post
MELBOURNE, Australia – Southern Australia suffered Friday from a record-breaking heat wave that has threatened rural towns with wildfires and sent ambulance crews after heat-stressed patients.

Melbourne, Australia's second-largest city recorded its third consecutive day of temperatures above 43 degrees Celsius (109 F) for the first time since 1855, when record-keeping began, the Bureau of Meteorology said.

The temperature in Melbourne topped 45.1 C (113 F) on Friday ahead of a cooler change that might even bring some thunder showers, the bureau said.

Adelaide, the other major city on the south coast, is expected to match its longest heat wave in a century by Monday, with six consecutive days exceeding 40 C (104 F). The heat there buckled train and tram lines.

The high temperatures have afflicted tennis players and spectators alike this week at the Australian Open in Melbourne, where men's No. 3 seed Novak Djokovic retired ill from a game Tuesday after heat-related complaints.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090130/...alia_heat_wave
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Noela
Avalon Senior Member

All you folks who want to go live in Australia,
read Dantheman's posts.

I have a daughter on the Sunshine Coast and
a son in Townsville. Until a few years back
his address was Crocodile Road - or was it
Alligator Avenue - I forget.

I tell you what - I'd rather be in Bristol (U.K.)
at the moment where we,ve had snow for
two days and temperatures below freezing.
Great! None of that 45 degree heat for me -
I had it long enough!

To say nothing of being rid of the cockroaches!
Noela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi Noela,

I was under the impression that people never wanted to live in Australia, they were transported there.

Do you mean to say we have to pay to go there now?

I'll be!

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noela View Post
All you folks who want to go live in Australia,
read Dantheman's posts.

I have a daughter on the Sunshine Coast and
a son in Townsville. Until a few years back
his address was Crocodile Road - or was it
Alligator Avenue - I forget.

I tell you what - I'd rather be in Bristol (U.K.)
at the moment where we,ve had snow for
two days and temperatures below freezing.
Great! None of that 45 degree heat for me -
I had it long enough!

To say nothing of being rid of the cockroaches!
Old 02-07-2009, 04:33 AM   #10
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Could the reasons for the extremes of weather in Aussie be nature's (?) way of cleansing the country for the upcoming 'EVENT'?

All the 'nasties' are being either drowned or roasted.
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Noela
Avalon Senior Member

Well Steve, I,m a 3rd generation Australian - but none
of them were transported I have to say.

I hear it's quite a status symbol these days to have a
'convict' background.

Mine came from Sweden, Germany and England.

Maybe that's why I,m so drawn to this part of the
world - Britain. Rather a past life I reckon.

So long as they don,t try to transport me!
Noela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Raging wildfires kill at least 14 in Australia

SYDNEY – Walls of flame roared across southeastern Australia on Saturday, razing scores of homes along with forests and farmland in the sunburned country's worst wildfire disaster in a quarter century. At least 14 people died and the toll could rise to more than 40, police said.

Witnesses described seeing trees exploding and skies raining ash as some of the hottest temperatures on record combined with raging winds to create perfect conditions for uncontrollable blazes.

More than 30,000 firefighters were struggling Saturday night to make headway against the largest of about a dozen fires in Victoria state that earlier in the day ripped unchecked across at least 115 square miles (30,000 hectares) of forests, farmland and towns.

"The whole township is pretty much on fire," Peter Mitchell, a resident of Kinglake, where six of the 14 confirmed deaths occurred, told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio during the inferno. "There was no time to do anything ... it came through in minutes."

Victorian Premier John Brumby, whose parents' house was among those saved by firefighters Saturday, said the death toll was expected to rise "considerably."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090207/...alia_wildfires

Sat Feb 7, 11:07 AM ET

Last edited by Dantheman62; 02-07-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

SYDNEY – Police say the death toll from wildfires that swept southeastern Australia has risen to 25 people.

More than a dozen blazes burned unchecked Saturday in three states, with temperatures soaring and high winds fanning flames.

Victoria Police Deputy Commissioner Kieran Walshe told the Nine television network on Sunday that 25 deaths had been confirmed and that officials believe that number will rise further as police reach further into the fire zone.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090207/...alia_wildfires
Old 02-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #14
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

My heart goes out to those in line with those fires. It must be a terrifying prospect. Australians are tough people thought, and they will get through this.

I was thinking about Aussie farmers this morning. The world judged them harshly when the pracice of mulesing was highlighted by the media. This impacted very negatively on Australian wool market overseas.

Mulesing is when the skin on both sides of the sheep's backside is stripped off!! Horrible, and dramatic to see. This was all the media showed. They did not show the 'why'. In the vast acreage of Australia, with large flocks of sheep and great distances, the farmers do not have much contact with their sheep as in other farming countries.

Flies are a constant problem in hot weather in Australia and New Zealand to a lessor degree. They lay their eggs on the sheep's backside area, the eggs hatch and the maggots start eating the sheep alive. It must be the most horrific death, slow and painful. I was reminded myself this morning as I was treating one of my lambs with flystrike. Mulesing is painful and quickly over, flystrike is slow and ghastly. The media attack by ignorant people was grossly unfair, and did not show the complete picture. Not much love and light in this post, but its truthful, and needed to be said. People need to search for the complete truth, not just media spin.
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #15
AussieG
Avalon Senior Member

On a personal note
My wife has an Aunt in Marysville that has lost every thing, and her daughter and children were trapped in a car when a burning tree fell on them, fortunately they were saved however the daughter is in hospital with head injuries.

in suburbia, 5 ks from us 6 houses were lost in a deliberately lit grass fire. People when to the shopping malls to escape the heat, only to come home and find their homes were burnt to the ground.

SteveT :
I was under the impression that people never wanted to live in Australia, they were transported there.

You have lost me respect!
AussieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #16
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

84 killed in deadliest-ever Australian wildfires

HEALESVILLE, Australia – Towering flames razed entire towns in southeastern Australia and burned fleeing residents in their cars as the death toll rose to 84 on Sunday, making it the country's deadliest fire disaster.

At least 700 homes were destroyed in Saturday's inferno when searing temperatures and wind blasts produced a firestorm that swept across a swath of the country's Victoria state, where all the deaths occurred.

"Hell in all its fury has visited the good people of Victoria," Prime Minister Kevin Rudd told reporters as he toured the fire zone on Sunday. "It's an appalling tragedy for the nation."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090208/...alia_wildfires
Old 02-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #17
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

You can view about 107 pictures of the fires here!....
http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Wildfi...5bc47205d6a779
Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #18
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi AussieG,

I'm very sorry to hear of the tragic events that happened to your family recently. When thing like this happen, it takes us by suprise and it normally hurts.

As for my quip about not wanting to go to Aus, I shouldn't take it too close to heart, that sort of comment has been flying around for years. I'm sure that later on you will smile and like a good Australian will tell me to f*** off!

Respect is something we earn, so I will try and earn your respect from now on.

I hope that everything is fine and keep safe.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieG View Post
On a personal note
My wife has an Aunt in Marysville that has lost every thing, and her daughter and children were trapped in a car when a burning tree fell on them, fortunately they were saved however the daughter is in hospital with head injuries.

in suburbia, 5 ks from us 6 houses were lost in a deliberately lit grass fire. People when to the shopping malls to escape the heat, only to come home and find their homes were burnt to the ground.

SteveT :

You have lost me respect!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #19
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

It is devastating and life shattering to lose family members and friends. The only comfort we have is that we will be with them again when our turn comes to cross that great divide.

It's the wildlife that I feel for. Not so much for the ones that die quickly, but for the ones that lay badly burned and still struggling to survive. Here are just a few photos of koalas that, in a complete reversal of their usual habits, have deliberately sought human assistance in their desire to live.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #20
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinty View Post
it is devastating and life shattering to lose family members and friends. The only comfort we have is that we will be with them again when our turn comes to cross that great divide.

It's the wildlife that i feel for. Not so much for the ones that die quickly, but for the ones that lay badly burned and still struggling to survive. Here are just a few photos of koalas that, in a complete reversal of their usual habits, have deliberately sought human assistance in their desire to live.

brinty those pic are heartbreaking mate ilove them little critters
so sad and sweet at the same time . Stay safe you ozzis.
We got a flood goin on in my town today , and more rain on the way .thinkin of you ,in difficult days .all love rhythmmm .
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #21
sunflower
Avalon Senior Member

Those Koala pictures are precious. It is so difficult as a tourist to get to see any. If they are asleep, that's it. These shy creatures must have been desperate.

My heartfelt sympathy and prayers go out to all afflicted by this terrible firestorm. So unexpected and as some reports indicate perhaps deliberately set. Will there be extensive government assistance? Although no amount of help will bring back those who died. Our extreme climate changes have certainly begun.

A few years ago I experienced 37 degrees in Katherine Gorge (near Darwin) and was told that at the top the temp was 40 degrees. People were kayaking and having a great time. Me, I thought I'd faint. I very much prefer -15 on a sunny windless day.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #22
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

I agree with you sunflower about the temperatures. We moved here from New Zealand in 1994 and it took us a while to acclimatise. Elaine starts to melt at around 26C (79F) and I start at around 36 (97). We take turns in a cold shower over 40.