Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Alkhemist
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb Preparing for the [possible] Grid Collapse

This is very important, folks. Has anyone given any consideration as to how the Ground Crews will get in touch with each other IF the grid goes down?

I suggest, if you haven't already done so, that we start making an address list on paper. Better yet, please get in touch with your groups, get to know the people and make friends, and maybe agree on a meeting place should this occur.

And of course, as always, remember that we are the creators of our own reality. That which we fear will attract the very thing we fear. Therefore, be prepared, but ever hopeful.
Alkhemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:13 AM   #2
Powerinourhandsl
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Preparing for the [possible] Grid Collapse

Hi there Alkhemist,

You might think about changing the title to "Preparing for Internet Collapse" as my first reaction was that you were talking about the electrical grid.

Making a list of addresses does not sound like a good idea , vague locations i think will surfice, if there is any clamp down on comunications you don´t really want to tell everyone where you are.

BUt on a positive note there are wifi systems for creating local NETs to cover a town etc see http://www.cuwin.net/ . where i live we held the wifi distance record some 80 kms i believe from one island to another. I am also a Radio Ham , and would suggest an agreement of times , frequencies that we could use to comunicate between ourselves. I have a hf tranciever and could quite easily comunicate around the world from my car. The first step would be to choose our Avalon Frequencies and the times when activity might take place.,

There is also what is called packet radio. This is a radio system for sending data , i crude form of internet without wires, the point is that if you have a black out in your area it would be possible to get messages out via internet gateways located on the other side of the Planet.
If we do have a great aroral display at the next sunspot maxima in 2012 , propogation should be really really good LOL.

Love and peace to all
Powerinourhandsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
BarryC
Avalon Senior Member

Very good point - in most situations - the most important advantage to have is communication.
There used to be a thread that was deleted, started by Dr 'Henry Deacon' recommending for those who didn't know where to start, the Yaesu VX-7R tri-band radio, whip antenae, etc.

I'm not sure why that thread was removed except perhaps that Dr 'Deacon' assumed we'd be smart enough to know that we need a HAM license (and discipline and knowledge) to operate the radio. Personally I've taken the advice seriously and have started preparing for my license (and to get the radios).

Last edited by BarryC; 09-28-2008 at 12:29 AM.
BarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #4
eurosceptic
Avalon Senior Member

search the threads for using rado sets, theres a post regarding this subject started by Bill Ryan I believe
eurosceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
Alkhemist
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerinourhandsl View Post
You might think about changing the title to "Preparing for Internet Collapse" as my first reaction was that you were talking about the electrical grid.
I am talking about the electrical grid. Check out the numerous posts and websites on a possible coronal mass ejection. It could also be brought down, I assume, on purpose. I certainly hope this never happens, but it's something worth preparing for under the circumstances.

Quote:
Making a list of addresses does not sound like a good idea , vague locations i think will surfice, if there is any clamp down on comunications you don´t really want to tell everyone where you are.
Vague locations won't do other members of your Ground Crew any good, and never did I suggest telling "everyone" where you are!

Quote:
BUt on a positive note there are wifi systems for creating local NETs to cover a town etc see http://www.cuwin.net/ . where i live we held the wifi distance record some 80 kms i believe from one island to another. I am also a Radio Ham , and would suggest an agreement of times , frequencies that we could use to comunicate between ourselves. I have a hf tranciever and could quite easily comunicate around the world from my car. The first step would be to choose our Avalon Frequencies and the times when activity might take place.
Now this is a good idea! These are the kinds of ideas I had hoped my post would spark.
Alkhemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:02 AM   #6
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

My personal expectation is that any form of electrical grid collapse would not be that prolonged (ie: many months). But it could happen, and the longer the power is out, the nastier it becomes.

I've given this some thought and have already written a bit in my essay on "urban inconveniences" see other thread in this forum - that is only focussed on the high likelihood scenarios.

I like to think about this as follows

a) 4hrs-48hrs: "Highley likely" - everyone should have plan for this WITHOUT EXCEPTION

b) 48hrs - 5days: - "Very likely" - natural disasters cause this all the time, everyone should have a plan but if you dont, you will probably still get by ok so long as you have the basics.

c) 5 days - 2weeks - moderately likely, people should have at least thought about this and decided if they want to plan for it or not. Towards the end of this time, if there is light at the end of the tunnel, then fine, otherwise you are facing a rapidly deteriorating situation with other priorities likely to be more important that electricity - like procuring water.

d) 2 weeks - 2 months - much less likely, however it can and does happen, and if it does happen, living through it in an urban setting is going to suck.

e) 2 months or more - IMHO, not very likely, but people planning to be ready to live off-grid in non-urban settings will be well acquainted with the drill and it is what this thread is all about.

The advantage is that your planned response can be stepwise. Worth through the more likely risks first and then start working on the less probable stuff.

One shortcut solution (with attendant shortcomings, particularly with regard to OPSEC) is to own a decent 4 stroke 2kw petrol generator and a couple of 20L Jerry with fuel will help you deal with everything from (a) to (c). Remember to keep the fuel less than 3 months old, in an approved container, or ensure you have stabilised it at the point of purchase with a commercial fuel stabiliser/preservative. The best containers are metal and completely airtight. Mil-spec jerry cans with good seals cannot be beat in this regard.

Having effective knowledge that enables you to use an inverter, batteries and solar panels will also help. If you get a big enough sety-up you can run things like a domestic fridge.

Conversion or adaption of your most imporant toys to function off of a 12V supply will probably see you through (a) to (d).

(e) which is what this thread is about, really requires a full off-grid arrangement. This needs to be set-up and working, so that you do not need to give it any thought - then if you are still in an urban setting you can use your time dealing with the probably lack of water and sanitation and the golden horde.

In some situations you get rolling powercuts. This requires modified planning - and your batteries and inverter can really be a godsend here. Charge the batteries when the power is available and use the inverter when it isnt. Like a computer UPS only bigger and more heavy duty

I have a lot more on this, when I get time I will write it all down.

Final note: If you are going to use anything that burns or even with combustion engines, please invest in fire-extinguishers and fire-blankets. Have the means to fight a fire available within 8-10m or any location in your house/living place. Augment this will smoke detectors and CO detectors as necessary.

A..

PS: I realise I am not reposing to the text of the OP, but I am responding to the heading
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
address, grid, ground crew, group