Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > Canada

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #1
no caste

Default Meteors in Canada tonight - Nov20

Ball of white light with green around it, says one witness.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...ta-meteor.html
Old 11-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
sleepingnomore

Default Re: Meteors in Canada tonight - Nov20

Those were just my birthday candles...
Old 11-22-2008, 03:43 AM   #3
KathyT
Avalon Senior Member

I SAW A METEORITE THIS WEEK. I live in Northern California, about 2 hours north of San Francisco. I had just got off work sometime after 5:15 p.m. , I left the building in the dark, and had to walk up the street to my car, and looked north, and saw this very large fireball. Where I was at, it was going from the east to the west, or in a westerly direction. Clear skies. What I saw, burned ‘out’ before it appeared to hit anything. It went quite a distance across the sky.

Last edited by KathyT; 11-22-2008 at 08:06 PM.
KathyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:29 AM   #4
no caste

I watched the video a few times. No, I didn't see green light around the meteorite in the footage, but local news showed a green kind of 'landing' emission. I don't know if that was just the footage (night shoot) or the old TV I watched it on.

Anyway, here's a pic. It was dark and witnesses say it literally turned the night to day for a moment. You can see the blue sky and, um, a contrail too. I had a dream a while back about this event, so I paid attention. There's a little piece broken off, it seems.

For the video clips:

http://canwest.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m...Object=3211530
Old 11-22-2008, 05:57 AM   #5
KathyT
Avalon Senior Member

n/a

/

Last edited by KathyT; 11-22-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:14 AM   #6
no caste

It's amazing that you saw it in northern California. I don't know - are loud, rumbling, shaking sounds a normal part of meteorite phenomena? I guess it depends on the size of the object?
Old 11-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
KathyT
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no caste View Post
It's amazing that you saw it in northern California. I don't know - are loud, rumbling, shaking sounds a normal part of meteorite phenomena? I guess it depends on the size of the object?
They say meteorites enter the atmosphere at about 400,000 feet... that's compared to our commercial planes which can fly up to 40,000 feet.

It never occurred to me how far away it was when I saw it. It kind of looked like a plane flying across the sky... it never came anywhere close to 'crashing' into earth... it broke up at the very end and burnt up. But it was much brighter than a plane, it was a fireball.

Last edited by KathyT; 11-22-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
no caste

I read in the paper today that it likely broke on entry. A local meteorite expert is looking for pieces just southwest of Manitou Lake, SK (based on 'triangulation' by 400 eye witnesses). "This is literally a billion watt bulb in the sky," he said. He estimated it to be between one and ten tons. The sound was a sonic boom, which occurs at a certain altitude at entry (which I forget now & it depends on trajectory, I think).

He hopes to find pieces before it snows. These are the news reports from these parts today anyway.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:47 AM   #9
no caste

Here's an update -

The asteroid/meteorite was found south of the city of Lloydminister, near buzzard coulee and Battle River. It may be a that-we-know-of record for a Canadian metereorite. They figure it weighed 10 tonnes/11 tons. (Fragments now.)

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Meteo...586/story.html
http://news.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/Loc...=abc&date=True