Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Archived Threads - Read Only

Notices

Archived Threads - Read Only For threads not posted in for 30 days

Old 09-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
bilderburger w/cheese
Avalon Senior Member

Default the ''watercone'' and water

is anyone familiar with this device? www.watercone.com (watch the video)

i believe this is THE device to own to obtain clean, drinkable water when it hits the fan. the problem is that the manufacturer hasnt done squat with this.

i think we can take this general design and build our own. although i havent had time to start working on a prototype, i think one can be constructed with a five gallon clear blue water cooler jug. i dont know how many, but most, i believe, are composed of polycarbonate plastic which doesnt leach dioxins into the water. (if youre storing distilled water at home in plastic jugs, keep that in mind. in michael tsarions voice: "if yah storin` anythin` else, ya bettah re-such it!")

i think if the 5 gallon jug can be cut with an "X" on the bottom and if heat was applied, the corners of the "X" could be bent inwards creating a similar design. at that point, its a matter of increasing surface area and 'catch height' to create the most clean water.

engineering isnt my field of expertise-- hopefully someone more qualified here can modify my idea or has a better approach to this.

last resort methods include digging a hole about 6 feet away from a running stream, collecting that water, and then boiling it. dew collecting seems as tedious as digging out crabmeat.
bilderburger w/cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
BJ ∞ Trust Yourself
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: the ''watercone'' and water

Very interesting. I have some interesting water links myself I will post in this section, but not in your post. I will make a new one.

THANK YOU for this!

Namaste~
BJ
BJ ∞ Trust Yourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

Hi,

Maybe the title should be how to get fresh water in general ...

The water cone looks like something I had in mind myself to get fresh water
from either seawater or rainwater.

I think you should just place it overhead a source of water. The sun will
vaporize the water, so vapor rises into the cone.

The more vapor comes into the cone the higher humidity will be hence
condensing the vapor to water again ... drops will sink into the side shell.

It's a natural use of distillation of water ...

You might improve the efficiency by covering the top of the cone with
aluminum foil in order to keep the warmth of the sun away from the cone.

You need sun heat on the water to evaporate ... the cooler the cone stays
the faster the vapor will condense again.

To thrust this process further you might think of creating a parabolic mirror
to heat a tube in the focus point containing water. This will basically boil
the water. So besides distilling the water you will get rid of bacteria and
stuff already in your water source. By boiling it will vaporize rapidly, probably
even creating steam.

And to make it even more efficient you might consider using the incoming
dirty water to cool the outcoming steam or vapor.

The heat exchange will work as an advantage in both ways:

1. The steam is cooled more rapidly
2. The dirty water gets pre-heated

You have to take great care however that you don't contaminate the clean
water with the dirty-water in the heat exchanger ...

More ideas of this principle may be applied if one considers that the air blowing
around us is already humid in some sort of degree. By concentrating humid
air or cooling it down you will be able to condense it. Create your own 'rain' sort of speak.

Good luck ...

Last edited by Operator; 09-09-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:10 AM   #4
bilderburger w/cheese
Avalon Senior Member

tinfoil/parabolic mirrors are a great idea, operator. the heat exchanger concept is also intriguing... when i have time, ill see what i can develop. thanks.

BJ: post your information on water (which may be more important to obtain than food) when you have time. thanks!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

Hi,

I sincerely hope you will find time because being in the US means you may be the first to experience 'difficult times'.

To make things easier for you I made 2 drawings and generated a couple of other ideas.

To make a simple water heater using solar power is shown above. You don't have to create parabolic structures.
But with a parabolic structure you will be able to concentrate much more heat. This will do to
pre-heat it a great deal ....
It's a rectangular mirror working as reflector. The tube should be half the size of opening side where the sun comes in.
As you can see it will perfectly be heated all around using all sunlight coming in.
You can easily and quickly build a 'grid' of this side by side either heating the tubes in parallel (making more water warm) or
connect them at the end making them work serial and thus generate less water but hotter ....

If you want to create a parabolic structure you can do it as shown above. It's a result of half the distance between
a dot and a straight line. I think the resulting focal point is twice the distance following the line square to the black line.
But that you will easily find by moving the tube up and down the line. The focal point will illuminate brightly.

I have built such a thing before. It was less than a square meter. Using weak sunlight on a late afternoon during fall
(in the Netherlands) it even boiled the water in less than 2 minutes !

I created it by jigsawing the parabolic shape in 2 pieces of plywood. I had a lot of mirror tiles. If you cut long but thin
pieces you can glue them in the parabolic structures. If you make the pieces too wide the parabolic structure maybe
too curvy to glue them in ...

Another way to set it up quickly is using tinfoil ....
I didn't do that before but I guess that if you take a piece of bendable carton and glue (don't make it bubble) tinfoil on it
may be working as well.

Mirrors will reflect more energy. However bending carton will give a more perfect parabolic shape than a series
of straight pieces of mirror.

I used a copper tube which I spray painted black. There is special heat resistant paint available ...

And finally I have another idea. I guess it will work but I didn't try it myself.
Once you have fresh water you might want it to be available somewhere high up in a tank in order
to have some water pressure. Consider this: you are already creating steam probably which will ascend by itself.
So if you delay the cooling process by keeping the steam hot all the way up it will keep you from carrying the resulting
water physically by yourself ....

Ok, this part is some of my experience with fresh ideas added. If I get new ideas I will post them here again.

Maybe it's an idea to post back results since the production of things may generate new tips as well.

Good luck you all
Attached Images
File Type: gif simple.gif (1.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: gif parabolic.gif (837 Bytes, 50 views)
Old 09-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

P.S. I forgot to tell:

All the water you store will be less and less consumable the longer it takes before using it. Especially if you are in a warm area.

To prevent this effect you should keep the water moving (stirring it).
This will not be easy if you have a power outage or so ...

I have no 'smart' solution for this yet but I think it's important to be aware of it.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:28 AM   #7
bilderburger w/cheese
Avalon Senior Member

great information, operator. thank you.

why does the storable water "sour" so quickly? ive been storing distilled in my basement, and i did notice that it had an expiration date. why? is that bogus/corporate planned obsolescence so consumers will simply need to buy more?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:41 AM   #8
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

I am not completely sure ...
The water you mention is probably used for filling car batteries etc.
I think maybe it calcifies over time ... (reaction with air or so).

The thing I was aiming for is bacteria ...
My neighbor works a the local water facility. He told me that they rotate big arms through the water in those
huge storage tanks. He once promised me he could set me up for an excursion there.
maybe it's a good time to remind him of his promise ...