Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Economy and Currency

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Arrow World Bank Warns of Deflation Spiral

World Bank Warns of Deflation Spiral

The World Bank has given warning that global economy will fall into a "deflationary spiral" unless urgent action is taken to reduce high levels of excess capacity in industry.

By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard
Published: 6:21PM BST 15 Jul 2009

Justin Lin, the bank’s chief economist, said factories running idle around world threaten to trap economies in a vicious cycle, risking further spasms of financial stress, requiring yet more rescue packages.

"Significant excess capacity has been built up and unless this issue is addressed, we will face a deflationary spiral and the crisis will become protracted," he told an audience in Cape Town.

Mr Lin said capacity use had fallen to 72pc in Germany, 69pc in the US, 65pc in Japan, and as low as 50pc in some developing countries, mostly touching lows not seen in modern times.

The traditional cure for countries caught in slumps is to claw their way back to health through devaluation, but this cannot be done today because the crisis is global...

Continues: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...on-spiral.html

SOURCE: http://solari.com/blog/

"A Tremendous Secret"

7/14/2009
by John Rubino

Last week FOFOA posted a long article on the coming devaluation of the dollar and how it might play out. He thinks it will be sprung on us without warning -- sooner rather than later:

EXCERPT:

Quote:
”Some US embassies worldwide are being advised to purchase massive amounts of local currencies; enough to last them a year. Some embassies are being sent enormous amounts of US cash to purchase currencies from those govts, quietly. But not £’s. Inside the State Dept there is a sense of sadness & foreboding that ‘something’ is about to happen, unknown re a date—just that within 180 days, but could be 120-150 days.”

Bob quotes another source that “Panasonic has told their people to be back in Japan by Sept 09.”

Harry Schultz’s remarkable take on the situation:

“My HSL suspicion is that the elite plan another FDR style “bank holiday” of indefinite length, perhaps very soon, to let the insiders sort-out the bank mess which is getting more out of their control every day. Insiders want/need to impose new bank rules. Widespread nationalization could result, already under way. It could also lead to a formal US$ devaluation, as FDR did by revaluing gold (& then confiscating it). But devalue against what? The euro? Doubtful. Gold? Maybe. Or vs. the IMF basket of currencies (which seems more likely)—& much in the news recently.

Any kind of bank holiday will push the US$ lower, which may be a bonus benefit to their ongoing scenario of letting the $ fall. Such a fall would get the devaluation they want without having to declare it. In sum, the insiders want more bank & system control, fewer banks & a lower US$. A bank holiday would suit all their needs."
Continues: http://www.dollarcollapse.com/iNP/view.asp?ID=102

SOURCE: http://solari.com/blog/
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: World Bank Warns of Deflation Spiral

HOLY !@#!! Treasury Auction Schedule

Thursday, July 23. 2009
Posted by Karl Denninger

Oh My......Treasury Marketable Securities Offering Announcement Press Releases http://www.treasurydirect.gov/instit...s_secannpr.htm

Let's see if I can count this up....

SEE CMB, BILL and NOTE LINKS AT SOURCE PAGE OR ARTICLE PAGE
70 day CMBs, $30 billion (tomorrow)
13 week Bills, $32 billion (July 27th)
26 week Bills, $31 billion (July 27th)
52 week Bills, $27 billion (July 28th)
2 year Notes, $42 billion (July 28th)
5 year Notes, $39 billion (July 29th)
7 year Notes, $28 billion (July 30th)
19 year, 6 month TIPS (reopened), $6 billion (July 27th)

That's two hundred thirty-five billion dollars over the next week!

Almost one quarter of a trillion....... geejus.

I guess you should get while the getting is good, but this is going totally parabolic. That money has to come out of somewhere, by the way, in order for the sale to succeed, which is going to get rather interesting at some point - but exactly where it matters is impossible to know.

I expected that when we crossed the $100 billion threshold in a week the market would throw up all over it, but it didn't. Now we've got the government trying to sell a quarter of a trillion dollars in debt over the next week, the announcement is out there, and while the bond market is selling off to a material degree equities could care less!

This is flat-out insane. At this run rate we would be trying to sell twelve trillion dollars over one year's time, an obviously ridiculous and impossible-to-peddle amount of debt at any price.

When does the rest of the world wake up (not to mention the primary dealers) and say "NO!"? Never? Is there a truly insatiable demand for our government's debt, despite the fact that President Obama got up on the national stage last night and promised to spend another trillion dollars we don't have?

How do equities power higher into this sort of debt issuance? Is it simply that the market has deduced that the government will hand all of this zero-interest money out - indefinitely?

Guess what - that which is impossible won't happen, and the stock market is now telling you that the impossible will become reality. There has been and will not be any amount of fiscal sanity on the part of our government until the market imposes it, and when it does it is going to happen in exactly the same way it happened to Bear Stearns, Lehman, Fannie and Freddie. May I remind readers that it was said that Fannie and Freddie "couldn't" get in trouble due to their implicit government guarantee? Well guess what - they both effectively failed, but when the US Government finds itself in the same situation it has nobody who can take it into conservatorship and as such we're just going to have to deal with the consequences of failed debt auctions - that is, dramatically increased funding costs across the board in the economy, including the government, which will choke off any hope of economic anything.

Folks, this is how you get detonation of a nation's monetary and political system. Timing the "event" it is not easy, but the certainty of outcome given this sort of outrageously irresponsible activity is not in doubt.

I'm increasing my stock of things that "will never go to zero" and keeping my ear to the ground. The "short the phone book but make sure you get out fast before you get trampled" moment approaches - mark my words.

SOURCE: http://market-ticker.denninger.net/a...-Schedule.html
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Northern Boy
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: World Bank Warns of Deflation Spiral

The markets are hiding things they are now refusing to foreclose on homes and instead they are trying to work out deals to keep people in their homes by paying as little as possible . There is talk of a second stimulus package albeit it is very quiet right now . just wait till they have to make their obligations to China and they default
Northern Boy is offline   Reply With Quote