Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
Avalon Senior Member

Default Sick of the Rich Complaining About Paying More Taxes...

I’m so sick of that quote “the top 1% earners paid more taxes than the bottom 95%”. Because the top 1% made all their money off the backs of the rest of us. People they employed, managed, etc… They made their money off the backs of poor people. So, in a way we all contributed to their wealth, so of course they have an obligation to pay more in taxes. They should pay way more than they do now.

After reading an ultra conservative review of Michael Moore’s new movie, it only made me want to go buy it. Sounds like Michael Moore has the right idea. We should all have the right to free health care, adequate living wages and pensions, etc… What’s wrong with that? The funny thing about capitalism is that in it’s purest form it’s slavery. With no rights. It is opposite to democracy, which calls for universal rights and all of us having a say in how things are run. And all of us should have a fair slice of the pie too. Maybe we should get to vote on who runs the corporations, the media, the banks, and not just government. Because that’s where the real power is -the banks, media, corporations. They all hugely influence the policies of the so called democratically elected governments. So, where’s the democracy?
246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Sick of the Rich Complaining About Paying More Taxes...

Try having a health care debate on here that doesn't degenerate into Obama/Democrat bashing.

Some people will just never believe in health care for all because the U.S as a whole has been brainwashed for years with the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
TheObserver
Avalon Senior Member

I agree 246, however the figure i heard is the top 1% have as much money as the bottom 95%.
Then they say raising taxes on these 'job creators' will cost jobs.
What does their personal tax liability have to do their companies bottom line?
The law should be written so these 'fat-cats' have to personally 'eat it' and not take it out on their employees.
If they have to trade their new BMWs in for used Chevys or send their kids to state college rather than Yale so be it.
Again i advocate an everything is free, nobody gets paid system based on volunteerism and following your bliss rather than marketability and unsustainable consumerism.
TheObserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:01 AM   #4
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

I'd like a system where money is NOT the dominating factor.

If you are poor, middle-class or rich, it shouldn't matter. You get the same care either way and we have the potential to offer much better care than other countries with socialized medical systems. We're Americans and we're used to doing it bigger and better. Why not just give it a shot?
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Janitor View Post
I'd like a system where money is NOT the dominating factor.

If you are poor, middle-class or rich, it shouldn't matter. You get the same care either way and we have the potential to offer much better care than other countries with socialized medical systems. We're Americans and we're used to doing it bigger and better. Why not just give it a shot?
Ya, That's how it is where I live in Canada. Michael Moore's movie "Sicko" got it right on how average Canadians view their healthcare system. We think it's great. Everything is free. And he interviewed a Conservative Canadian on the golf course in Windsor, and even that guy thought it was the best thing this country has ever done. The guy who brought free universal healthcare to Canada -Tommy Douglas - was just recently voted as Canada's Greatest Ever Canadian - and Douglas did that 30 or 40 years ago!

Dont kid yourselves - the rich and the corporations make huge amounts of money. There's enough to go around to pay for healthcare in America a few times over. Maybe they should switch some of their ridiculous "defense spending" money over to healthcare spending. Instead of using millions to research how to create a "gay bomb". Yes the U.S. reasearched how to create a chemical when dropped from the sky that made the enemy soldiers give up fighting and want to have sex with each other instead! Where's the sense in that?

And in Britain, they brought in Universal free healthcare right after WWII. Just when Britain was broken financially and physically, and they managed just fine. They even have a better system than Canada does when it come to healthcare. So America could easily do it if they just shift their priorities slightly.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
I agree 246, however the figure i heard is the top 1% have as much money as the bottom 95%.
Then they say raising taxes on these 'job creators' will cost jobs.
What does their personal tax liability have to do their companies bottom line?
The law should be written so these 'fat-cats' have to personally 'eat it' and not take it out on their employees.
If they have to trade their new BMWs in for used Chevys or send their kids to state college rather than Yale so be it.
Again i advocate an everything is free, nobody gets paid system based on volunteerism and following your bliss rather than marketability and unsustainable consumerism.
Ya that would be great. Although for today's rich it would be more like trading in their Bugattis for BMWs instead of BMWs for Chevs. They only say that it would cost jobs because the rich are so greedy and so concerned about keeping the little guy down. Because if we were to rise financially, even a little, the rich would start to lose control and it would threaten the future of their vast wealth. A wealth that is only insured by keeping us down as much as possible. It's all about control.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
Avalon Senior Member

It should be illegal to own more than 100 million. I mean, who even needs 100 million? Do you know what you can do with 100 million? And there's people in the top 1% who are multi billionares. Why should one man or familly control the fate of so many people around the world? Isnt this supposed to be a democracy?
Old 10-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #8
no caste
Avalon Senior Member

I don't think the really rich pay taxes. Didn't GWB make a funny little joke about that? It's what offshore investments etc are for.
no caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no caste View Post
I don't think the really rich pay taxes. Didn't GWB make a funny little joke about that? It's what offshore investments etc are for.
Ya you're probally right. The really rich have probably set up the system through offshore accounts and foundations so that we are paying them. Instead of them paying any taxes.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 246 View Post
It should be illegal to own more than 100 million. I mean, who even needs 100 million? Do you know what you can do with 100 million? And there's people in the top 1% who are multi billionares. Why should one man or familly control the fate of so many people around the world? Isnt this supposed to be a democracy?
Actually I believe democracy has been explained as a bad form of government - rule by the mob - by the majority.

The USA is a Constitutional Republic and that's about all I know about that.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #11
TheObserver
Avalon Senior Member

Oh yeah. republic as in indirect democracy, setup to have things like the electoral college because the founding fathers didn't think the masses (nevermind the slaves and women) were smart enough.

Last edited by TheObserver; 10-07-2009 at 11:49 PM.
TheObserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #12
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Actually I believe democracy has been explained as a bad form of government - rule by the mob - by the majority.

The USA is a Constitutional Republic and that's about all I know about that.
Actually, the U.S. is no longer a constitutional republic. The constitution was shredded with the NSA acts through to the Patriot Acts I and II. The U.S. is Fascist now.

And yes, the rule of the mob majority doesnt work either, there has to be an enshrined Bill of Rights. The mob can be easily swayed to vote a certain way or think a certain way, that's why there are laws protecting individuals from witch hunts or "whatever". Yes, millions can be wrong. There were a lot of Nazis.