Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
feynman
Avalon Senior Member

Default Preparation for the possible collapse, in stages

I promised to post my ideas and progress in preparing for the coming collapse.

We seem to be witnessing a controlled demolition of our economy. During the Great Depression the bankers simply reduced the money supply by about two thirds and nobody but a few brave men pointed a finger. Today, with our global communications, it all has to be a lot more "believable", hence the choreographed decline we are currently experiencing.

For a complete rendition on how the central banks cause depressions watch this two hour video. I heard from a local common law activist that the man who made this film died afterwards in a "car accident."

http://video.google.com.au/videosear...oq=the+money+#

After watching The Money Masters I think you will agree that we are heading into a major economic depression. A major global event like a massive weather event or nuclear detonation will send the already shaky supply systems plummeting. Australia, according to a concerned CSRIO scientist recently, has only about a weeks reserve of fuel. So within a week of global turmoil things here in Sydney will begin to stop. Australia has plenty of coal and gas. But its diesel fuel that drives the distribution network. With just-in-time warehousing, shortages in just about everything could happen very quickly. Dwindling water supplies may in fact be the first thing to cause civil unrest. I don't know if our water will still flow if there were widespread power outages. Remember most of our power stations run on coal, but rely on diesel fuel to supply the coal to the stations. No fuel deliveries to Australia - no diesel, and no diesel means no trucks or freight trains, which means no food in our shops.

What to do?

Most of us live in the city and I don't think stocking up on a years supply of food and water is the answer as a first step.

STAGE ZERO

My strategy is to prepare for the worst case scenario first, then systematically add on layers of preparation after the immediate emergency needs are met.

What is the worst case scenario? Worst case scenario would be caught with nothing but what's in your pockets and the shirt on your back and being forced into a survival situation. You will want to get out of the city and into the wilderness to find food, water and shelter as we can assume if you're caught so is everyone else and the last place you and your family will want to be is in amongst the staving masses. You get my drift.

Hopefully, and most probably the above scenario will not happen, but its still the FIRST thing to prepare for, because if you can survive with nothing but your hands and what nature provides you can survive anywhere indefinitely and so much the better if you are better prepared.

There are a ton of books on the subject, but I recommend only one. An Australian has already done the thinking for us. http://www.survival.org.au/resources.php A great resource, and in particular,
( http://www.survival.org.au/books_top_two.php ) Its an American book but the skills are universal. There are more books to get but I recommend this to be the first. Read it and get that base covered. I have the new edition, which I was able to get through the UNSW bookshop. Its also available on Amazon.

Naked Into the Wilderness - Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills, John & Geri McPherson.

I have this book and have nearly finished it. Without a doubt it lives up to expectations. Its simple and easy to understand and a thrill to read. Its an unbelievable feeling to know how to live with nothing if forced to do so. Its liberating. We do not need to be dependent on the system if the system fails us. I don't ever want to have to live like they do in the book, but I know now if I do have to, I can.

And the second urgent thing to do is stock up on a months supply of food and water. Canned food, rice, and powered milk would be my first choice. You will need 3 liters of water per day per person. So work that out and buy some big water containers and fill them up. I got some 80 liter plastic jerry cans from Hardware House for about $20 each.

Stage two will be a pack for each person filled with essential survival equipment. This will be more along the lines of standard disaster preparations. I have put together an emergency pack (plenty of others I think have made lists on this site) which every able-bodied man at least in the group should have. After these basic steps are covered further preparation will get a lot more detailed.

More posts to come.

So order that book, stock up on food and water, and keep reading.

[This thread was moved from the Australia/New Zealand thread with the posters permission, the title changed slightly. Some of the info is Australian perspective, but like most information it is good for all. -- A.. ]

Last edited by Anchor; 10-22-2008 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Thread move note added
feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:51 AM   #2
P4BL0
Banned

Wink Preparation for the coming collapse - Stage Zero

Last edited by P4BL0; 10-26-2009 at 07:46 AM.
P4BL0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Hoss the SURVIVER
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Preparation for the coming collapse - Stage Zero

HI ALL

A lot of Survival equipment here is bloody expensive so I've gone more to having a go at making things like? Also I live on a disability pension so money is tight, but we learn to adapt

I have a couple of Kuhkri's n a few light store bought knives not expensive but functional then the scabbards or sheaths which-ever fell to pieces so with a few other pieces>. plus here in Maryborough almost impossible to get not real good quality anyway

Knives the store bought ones i
I made the scabbards from old leather hand-bags
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/MVC-010F.jpg

Kukri’s
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../Picturek2.jpg

Staff
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/MVC-007F.jpg
Kukri’s 1

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...Kuhris3out.jpg

Both together
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...uhrisb3out.jpg

Limb Lopper a slightly modified tree trimmer, why waste a good hickory log splitter handle.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/MVC-005F.jpg

Fighting staff, i have a lot of mobility problems so i figured fight it with a staff? To help me walk that is !!
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/MVC-007F.jpg

And I’m also making some el cheapo knives

Semi ground this on not finished iut will all be hand work
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...Picture2-1.jpg

Knives
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...n/Picture2.jpg

Hoss
E G M
Hoss the SURVIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Preparation for the coming collapse - Stage Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
@Feynman: would you object overly much if I moved this over to here:

http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=50 ?

Let me know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feynman View Post
It would be a great if you did that. It should probably be there. Thanks. Please also change the name as you suggested. I'll be sure to update with STAGE TWO shortly.
Ok, thanks the thread is now in its new home, and I pruned the preceding messages.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
MMe M
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Preparation for the possible collapse, in stages

Fenyman,
I have read some on survival. Even if your in the rural parts in the US, the economy has been bad for us for so long that we simply werent able to store the standard 300 lbs of food per person for a year. And then where are ya gonna hide that much food from martial law door to door collections callings? Jeez! When I read this, Im assuming the guy that wrote this must already have his house paid off, no kids and no pets. Me? Im in the poor house, kids in college, insurance till I die, bills into the next three lives, and pets.

If you have wells, now is a good time to find out how to bypass the electric pump for a manual one. It can be done.

What I have gathered is that dried beans are an invaluable source of protein. Rose hips, pine needles, saurkraut all provide vitamin C, really important, scurvy is deadly! Fat is essential in survival and so is salt. You can starve to death eating all white meat. Nuts are good, grubs are good, olive oil is good. Fish are good but a small hook, bobber and line should be kept in your survival bag. Learn to make snares and deadfalls. Wool is warm even soaking wet. Cotton robs your body of warmth.
MMe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Ngai Te Rangi
Avalon Senior Member

This is great info feyman. I look forward to your updates. I'm also working and thinking in this mode as a matter of necessity and urgency.

Even if nothing eventuates, and I'm more inclined to believe, given the research I've put into this over years of an impending collapse, to know that this could be "that time"..

It good to know there several posts on the forum give such important info.
Onya mate!
Ngai Te Rangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #7
firefly
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMe M View Post
Fenyman,
I have read some on survival. Even if your in the rural parts in the US, the economy has been bad for us for so long that we simply werent able to store the standard 300 lbs of food per person for a year. And then where are ya gonna hide that much food from martial law door to door collections callings? Jeez! When I read this, Im assuming the guy that wrote this must already have his house paid off, no kids and no pets. Me? Im in the poor house, kids in college, insurance till I die, bills into the next three lives, and pets.

If you have wells, now is a good time to find out how to bypass the electric pump for a manual one. It can be done.

What I have gathered is that dried beans are an invaluable source of protein. Rose hips, pine needles, saurkraut all provide vitamin C, really important, scurvy is deadly! Fat is essential in survival and so is salt. You can starve to death eating all white meat. Nuts are good, grubs are good, olive oil is good. Fish are good but a small hook, bobber and line should be kept in your survival bag. Learn to make snares and deadfalls. Wool is warm even soaking wet. Cotton robs your body of warmth.
Thanks for the info, but what kind of 'Pine needles' the ones from Slash or Radiater Pine? And if so what do you do them?

firefly

Last edited by firefly; 10-27-2008 at 12:55 AM.
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
firefly
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMe M View Post
Fenyman,

Thanks for the info, but what kind of 'Pine needles' the ones from Slash or Radiater Pine? And if so what do you do with them?

firefly
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:53 AM   #9
TranceAm
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
Thanks for the info, but what kind of 'Pine needles' the ones from Slash or Radiater Pine? And if so what do you do them?

firefly
So your on the run or hid deep off the grid. Your hungry and thirsty and yet your stuck inside a pine forest. For miles around all you can see is white pines and no wild life for you to gain a meal from. To make it worse, its styarted to snow.

So, what are you going to do?

Eat, drink and be merry is the answer. Heres how.

First off, you have your survival kit yes? good. Inside it should be at least a fire starting kit, an axe and a shelter tarp and your steel mug.

Time to get working.

First off build your fire but DO NOT LIGHT IT. A fire thats not warming you or cooking your food is just an IR signal to those who are watching out for you. Your under pine, your signatures minimal, so keep it that way.

Gather up some of that snow. We are going to melt it to give us some nice fresh water for our tea. Yes, I did say tea.

Now, go to the lowest branches that have the newest needles on, and take a good hand full from as near to the trunk as you can get. This handful of needles holds five times the vitamin C weight for weight than two oranges or lemons. So gather up enough for yourself and never take more than you need to feed yourself.

Light your fire, take a good slug of that snow and melt it down, and then, taking those needles, place them inside a spare sock or spare bit of material to make a DIY tea bag, make it ready and then place the 'tea bag' into the water. Bring it to a nice rolling boil for 15 minutes.

When times up, remove the 'tea bag', and sup up. Instant cure for scurvy right there.

Now, we are refreshed, but still hungry. Well, lets make some fries. Taking your axe, pick a good healthy tree. Strip off a patch of bark maybe a quarter of the diameter of the trunk and cut it away. Now, you have the wood exposed, cut into it till you reach the 'inner' wood (very hard, very resiliant to cutting) and peel off your strip. this is the phloem, the nutrient carrying 'outer layer' that sits under the bark. Its sappy and messy work, but guess what? its superbly edible.

Right, you have your large strip of phloem, now cut off thin wide strips, make them as thin as you can, and take them to your fire. Place them into the edges of your fire until they are a nice crispy golden colour.

Take from the fire, and eat.

Very sweet tasting, very crispy and very good for you. If you don't let them burn, thse chips will be full of sappy sugary goodness.

From one tree comes your hunger and thirst cure with a medical benefit to boot.

(Copied from another thread.... No link where.)

Last edited by TranceAm; 10-27-2008 at 12:58 AM.
TranceAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:32 AM   #10
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
What I have gathered is that dried beans are an invaluable source of protein. Rose hips, pine needles, saurkraut all provide vitamin C, really important, scurvy is deadly! Fat is essential in survival and so is salt. You can starve to death eating all white meat.
i think were good on the pine needles ect. i think eating white meat youll be fine. if it gets that bad then most of the time it will be the calorific value of your food as opposed to nutrient density.. BTW ive not eaten any meat for 10 years and ive not starved to death yet
pineal-pilot-in merkabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
asteram
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineal-pilot-in merkabah View Post
i think were good on the pine needles ect. i think eating white meat youll be fine. if it gets that bad then most of the time it will be the calorific value of your food as opposed to nutrient density.. BTW ive not eaten any meat for 10 years and ive not starved to death yet
One starves to death eating white meat due to lack of fats. Very common in survival situations in northern cold climates, for instance trying to live off of rabbits or trout. Plenty of protein but there simply are not enough fats for survival.

Vegetarians in cold climates would have a very hard time surviving unless they have access to milk products containing fat. Vegans would either change or die; there won't be any trucks bringing them avocados, nuts. and oils.
asteram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
Shellie
Banned

You can't live on fish, either. That's why Aleuts eat seals.

For water, the cheap way to go is to wash and reuse milk jugs. Don't forget about what's sitting in your hot water tank. And if you sense something is going to happen in the immediate time, start filling up every pot and pan, your bathtub, the sinks etc.

Now for food caching: if you live someplace where the soil is soft, you can always bury your food in buckets. You can get big buckets for free from just about any bakery, or put up a sign for used plaster buckets at the hardware store. Find a way to seal them- wax, duct tape, and put them in a garbage bag and bury them.

Hide your food in your own home. Hide it in the walls, behind all the junk in your garage. Hide it in the boxsprings. If you have a fireplace that's not being used, hide some food up the chimney. BE CREATIVE. Anything that is hollow can store food! Just don't store everything in one place. Keep only a little in the pantry/cupboards, and make a big deal if someone tries to take it.
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteram View Post
One starves to death eating white meat due to lack of fats. Very common in survival situations in northern cold climates, for instance trying to live off of rabbits or trout. Plenty of protein but there simply are not enough fats for survival.

Vegetarians in cold climates would have a very hard time surviving unless they have access to milk products containing fat. Vegans would either change or die; there won't be any trucks bringing them avocados, nuts. and oils.
yes fats are one of the things i intend to stockpile.. i figured maybe we can still get some kind of food in 09. then 2010 to 2013 have the food stockpiled.. from what i here it wont matter after that..
pineal-pilot-in merkabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
Swanny
I dont need a label !

I was thinking today, if your stocking up on food, don't buy the low fat options, your going to need all the fat you can get.
And you will be having the diet of your life anyway
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #15
Practitioner
Avalon Senior Member

Regarding the topic of this thread, I believe a person must discern not by superficial appearances, but must look into the nature of a person or a situation. Is it honest, kind and trustworthy? Is the kindness unconditional and genuine, or is it contrived and manipulative? If we are in a clearheaded and calm state of mind, if we do not impulsively react to things or unconditionally accept external things, we will know what is right and what is wrong. Evil ultimately reveals itself. I guess this is all I can say.
Practitioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:55 PM   #16
asteram
Avalon Senior Member

Shellie, I think one can live on salmon; it's oily enough.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:00 AM   #17
asteram
Avalon Senior Member

"Evil ultimately reveals itself."

I guess that's true, but by the time "ultimately" comes around it may be far too late.

I'm getting a lot better at spotting soulless psychopaths though after studying the literature for the past couple of years, then applying it in observation of people that I deal with. Once one gets the concept that there really are people with no conscience or morals, and that they actually derive pleasure from causing others pain, and that every thing they do is manipulative, once one "gets" that concept, a lot of other things become clear.