Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Economy and Currency

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Default Ben Stein: Half of Stimulus Goes to Unions

Ben Stein: Half of Stimulus Goes to Unions

Sunday, February 1, 2009 1:01 PM

Source: http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/b...mo_code=7937-1

Columnist Ben Stein has taken a close look at President Barack Obama's proposed $820 billion stimulus package, and made some eye-opening discoveries.

Writing for Spectator.com and NYPost.com, Stein calculates that:

* The House of Representatives debated the bill for eight hours, or roughly $102 billion per hour.
* Only 10 percent of the stimulus funds would be spent in 2009.

* Almost half of the $820 billion would end up in the pockets of Democratic-controlled unions, such as the Service Employees International Union, and federal, state, and municipal employee unions.

* At 680 pages long, neither Obama nor any member of the House had enough time to read the entire bill before the House voted.

* The $820 billion would be enough to give every unemployed American $75,000.

Says Stein: "There has been pork-barrel politics since there has been politics, but the scale of this pork is beyond what had ever been imagined before -- and no one can be sure it will actually do much stimulation. ... This has been a punch in the solar plexus to the kind of responsible, far-seeing, mature government processes that are needed to protect America."

© 2009 Newsmax. All rights reserved.
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Ben Stein: Half of Stimulus Goes to Unions

And what was his point? To slander unions?

The union I'm part of is pretty small. I doubt we'll see any of that stimulus money. That and I'm tired of non-Unionized Americans attacking the Unions whenever problems come up. Without an union, I would not have decent benefits or pay for what I do and I give them my money's worth with the kind of labor I put in.

Also, Stein has no right to complain about pork and neither do the Republicans in Congress. For 8 years, they sold out and stood by while BushCo ran this country into the ground. They really have no right to bitch about pork, especially with all that pork flowing to Iraq and Afghanistan every single day.

Oh yeah, how's that working out by the way?

Last edited by Humble Janitor; 02-08-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Northern Boy
Avalon Senior Member

Great point HJ I never heard a word out of Ben during the first vote which included money for ............RUM
Northern Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

I used to like Ben Stein until he laughed at Peter Schiff's predictions on the economy, which turned out to be right.
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote