Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Donny

Default Emergency storage of water, advice needed please.

Hi all

Just a thought about crisis problems or even longterm bushcraft, how long is it deemed safe to store water in sealed containers?, would you need to drop some purifying tabs in then seal it or maybe even boiled first. Few drops of un scented bleach maybe?

My problem is, I read this article http://www.equipped.org/72hourkit.htm, you see it states "the standard is 5 1/4% sodium hypochlorite", if I look at a cheap and more expensive brand of bleach in my house eg,

londis original thick bleach less than 5% nonionic surfactant and antonic surfactant, disinfectant and perfume.

Jeyes new parazone, less than 5% antonic surfactant.

Does anyone know of a brand in the uk that is safe to use?

Any experts out there who can advise...
Old 10-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
kungfugrip
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Emergency storage of water, advice needed please.

sealed water containers will store a very long time without any additional needs.

55 gallon plastic pickle barrels are $24 here in the states, you can collect rainwater or fill from the tap.

if you have property you can build a concrete cistern underground

namaste

a water purifier is a very good thing to have in emergency
kungfugrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Donny

Thanks for that
Old 10-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Frank69
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
Hi all

Just a thought about crisis problems or even longterm bushcraft, how long is it deemed safe to store water in sealed containers?, would you need to drop some purifying tabs in then seal it or maybe even boiled first. Few drops of un scented bleach maybe?

My problem is, I read this article http://www.equipped.org/72hourkit.htm, you see it states "the standard is 5 1/4% sodium hypochlorite", if I look at a cheap and more expensive brand of bleach in my house eg,

londis original thick bleach less than 5% nonionic surfactant and antonic surfactant, disinfectant and perfume.

Jeyes new parazone, less than 5% antonic surfactant.

Does anyone know of a brand in the uk that is safe to use?

Any experts out there who can advise...
In boat equipment stores they sell small bottles silver water good for 1000L water storage for at least 6 months. Much cheaper than tablets.

I read from an expert that chlorine used for swimming pools is better suited for drinking water than household bleach.
Frank69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:08 AM   #5
Shellie
Banned

First filter the water and then boil it. If you seal it in clean containers, it will be good for a few weeks. If it is longer than than, leave the water in the containers until you need it and then boil again.

Reminder; never use containers that were once used for chemicals to store your water. Plastic is porous enough that you can't wash enough of the chemicals out.
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:53 AM   #6
Greg222
Avalon Senior Member

I know of two excellent ways to keep stored water pure and drinkable.

1) GrapeFruit Seed Extract: Usually comes in small 1 or 2 oz. bottles and it kills germs/micro-organisms in water. Some people take it with when they travel to foreign countries of questionable water purity (Mexico). Just a couple drops in a glass or bottle of water (shake or stir and let stand a couple minutes) and the water is safe to drink without getting Montazuma's revenge.
2) Colloidal Silver: An excellent killer of almost all micro-organisms that give us humans trouble. The only down side is that it loses its potency when exposed to light for very long, so any water you use this in will have to be stored in a dark place or in a dark colored bottle. Personally, I spray painted some glass gallon jugs with black enamel paint to do the job.

Greg222
Greg222 is offline   Reply With Quote