Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
5thElement
Avalon Senior Member

Default Left over FEMA trailers

INDIANAPOLIS – The trailer industry and lawmakers are pressing the government to send Haiti thousands of potentially formaldehyde-laced trailers left over from Hurricane Katrina — an idea denounced by some as a crass and self-serving attempt to dump inferior American products on the poor.

I really don't even know what to say

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100129/...trailers_haiti

I seriosuly cannot believe this is even being considered by anyone

El
5thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Left over FEMA trailers

Can they make their point any clearer ?
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
She-Ra
Avalon Senior Member

Disgusting, next they'll say that the trash dumped by a place that then washes up on beaches/coasts in other places are charity donations.

Note - remember formaldehyde is in practically everything; here's an excerpt from an indoor pollution article on naturalnews.com that I read recently:

Quote:
'(NaturalNews) Many consumers may not be aware that formaldehyde, a toxin and carcinogen commonly used in the embalming process, is also one of the most common ingredients in many materials that make up a normal home. As a result, many household items -- from furniture to bed sheets -- emit formaldehyde fumes that are harmful to the health of families and children.

Formaldehyde may be best known for its use as a tissue preservative, such as in the preservation of animals for dissection in schools. It is the chemical's very toxic nature that makes it such an effective preservative: it quickly kills bacteria or fungi that might otherwise begin the process of decomposition. But formaldehyde is also an ingredient in a wide variety of resins used to make permanent adhesives for plywood and carpeting, causing it to be present in furniture and building materials (particularly those made with pressed wood products) and certain molded plastics.'
She-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

I think this is being done a little overboard. Yes, there is formaldehyde in trailers, but it is also in many other household products.

There are numerous people who live full-time, long-term in trailers and motorhomes. Many of them are senior citizens and many are actually pretty affluent and do so because of their lifestyle and personal interests. I've never heard of any mass medical problems being reported by any of these sources.

Yes, some people are sensitive to formaldehyde. But, then again, some people are sensitive to any of the numerous chemical agents we are being exposed to daily. If I were give the choice between the trailer and sleeping outside and not having a shelter, I would take the trailer so long as it wasn't contaminated with anything above and beyond the normal industry standards.

--sjkted
sjkted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

I just read the article and they said inferior American products. I'm not sure if most people realize, but some people spend upwards of $200K - $500K to buy a motorhome that has the same basic setup as these. That's as much as a house costs in many neighborhoods...

--sjkted
sjkted is offline   Reply With Quote