Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #26
Jebins
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Come have a sit down with me around the Pot Bellied Stove and talk story.

Autumn/Fall approaches in Central Scotland. Already we have planted spring cabbage and leeks. Only three of my hens have survived from a batch of eight...(dogs got three and Mr fox got two). My apple and pear trees (2 of each) produced nothing this year. I am going to plant more in November. I have one 'raised bed' for planting veg but I am making two more as I am surrounded by fields full of rabbitts...munch...munch. Veg in raised bed was great this year....Red onion, leeks, cabbage and turnip...hey guys don't plant lettuce! waste of time and space. My dogs are all doing great (2 Parsons and 1 Border Terrier). My cat (Boris) is eating like a pig but he is too skinny....I reckon he is ill. The pic on my profile is a view from my house on Xmas day 2007....Do you like? .....
Jebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #27
Tara
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Come have a sit down with me around the Pot Bellied Stove and talk story.

What a wonderful thread. As I read through I feel very calm. I am in Michigan. The fall colors are beautiful. I have been feeling quite hopeless lately, but visiting Avalon is bringing my spirits up. I know we have the power to uplift each other, and all of us as a whole. Thanks for the reminder. ps- steam distilled bottled water is ultra pure (via vapor compression still). RO, filtered, etc are classified as pure, but the standards aren't high enough in my opinion.
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #28
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

This is a good idea CAROL

love/susan
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #29
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

to day i saw the old gentleman , who regularly sit on a bench outside the older people home where he lives. he does not here to well , and he seems to be completly blind ,he either heres me coming or senses your about to walk by ,and he always has a beaming smile , and a cheery word or two . i want to stop but i never do , next time i will .
i have so many ? to ask of , what has your life been did you have a lady love did you have children , do you think he will mind ,im sure he wont .he is the shining,Budda .
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #30
conjuredUp
Avalon Senior Member

I have become throughly enamored of you all now. Thank you for sharing bits of your life with me (us). The day to day stuff is actually the MOST important part of who we are. It is what we vibrate. How the universe responds in kind to what we are thinking about.

I live in the Husdon Valley in upstate NY. About 70 miles north of NYC. It is peak leaf season here. The mountains appear to be blanketed. It is lovely.

I get to share my life with my soulmates. My two children, both boys aged 7 and 3 and my husband. They are each awake (as the boys were never programmed to go to sleep). We lead a quiet, tightly knit life.

I used to spend too much time sitting in front of this Mac. Especially when Avalon first launched. I slipped out of my NOW and started trippin' on the future.

I've regained my creativity. I am an artist. I create.

I am blessed. I am grateful.
I focus on love at every turn.
Been doing it for years now.
My turn around time from being upset, or mad is down to a few minutes now.

Thank you for this thread, Carol.

LoveLoveLove,
C
conjuredUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #31
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: Come have a sit down with me around the Pot Bellied Stove and talk story.

i met that old gentleman today , and i did stop and we did chat .i even went to his little flat. he was so thrilled that i had taken an interest in him and his life . he told me he is 97 yrs old , but to me he was like a young boy ,still full of the zest four life . we chatted for quite awhile , and im going to go along with him on a walk soon , he was so excited .
im looking forward to our next meeting ,will let you know how it goes .
proof that age in nunbers means nothing ,
this man has a big heart , a real treat to meet this beautifull soul .
Old 10-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #32
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjuredUp View Post
I live in the Husdon Valley in upstate NY. About 70 miles north of NYC. It is peak leaf season here. The mountains appear to be blanketed. It is lovely.
What a wonderful part of the country! I fondly remember a summer spent with cousins in Cold Spring in 1968. Met Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger at the Hudson Valley Folk Festival that year. Had a wonderful time, but I belong out west where the spaces are big.

Here in San Diego County, the summer doesn't want to quit. Each day he's a little weaker, but the weather continues warm and sunny. The nights are getting chilly.

It's still fire season, but this year the fires have not created widespread damage. Last year at this time, we lived under a cloud of smoke, and we went out to our cars every day and wiped off the ashes so we could see to drive. Sometimes the light was dim and orange all day. I knew people who lost their homes. This year we've been blessedly free from the destructive fires of recent years.

I often sit on my patio at night at watch for the Feyn...the elementals. I have the feeling something's up with them - lots of buzzing back and forth, as if they too have work to accomplish during this time.

The group I meet with has been productive. We are in the midst of starting a small company to market some of our sustainable ideas. The income is to be shared communally between those who make the project work. We have established a base camp in Arizona, and one in our own area. It's great to know people who enjoy the challenge of brainstorming and meeting current trends proactively. We're also developing a survival manual for those who ignored the signs and may find themselves in deep doodoo when it all hits the fan.

Also, for the first time in many years we've been invited to spend the holidays with someone...gosh, that's nice!

Here and now feels like a good place in the timeline to me. I find I'm not only contented but genuinely happy. I know I don't have the whole picture but the part I do have is real. What I've learned in this life is working, not just for me but for others too. It's so great to know you all. It's great to see that ole stove fired up, friends and neighbors gathered round, and to drop my old bones into old wicker, kick off my boots, prop my feet on an old dog, light up a pipe and a smile. I'm lovin' the thread. Rhythm, I'm lovin' your story of the old man.

whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #33
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Wow rhythm, good for you, and will look for your next post on him. I'm very sure you made his day,week,and or month just by stopping and spending time with him.
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #34
Labratinaz
Avalon Senior Member

I, too, think this thread is the best.

I live in Northern Virginia. Rainy and cool for the most part of today. I often sit at the kitchen table with my laptop reading. I just love learning and boy, am I learning!

As I sit at the kitchen table, I look out the window and watch the finches nibbling at the sunflower seeds I put in the hanging feeder. The doves sit on the ground and pluck away at whatever the finches throw down on ground for them. Watching the birds is always calming. Like looking at fish in a glass tank. The birds have been going through a full tube of sunflower seeds a day during the summer. Now that the weather has changed they are feeding during the early mornings and afternoons. Like they have other places to go during the middle of the day. Interesting.

Seekur3: Since I have lived in AZ, the weather is a dry heat, right?! ha ha ha only an Arizonan would know how funny that is! Especially during the Monsoons. However, it seems that water is the major concern for living in AZ. Actually, now is a good time for growing broccoli, lettuce and winter tomatoes. I just love this time of year in AZ!!

I am interested in starting a small garden inside. Plant a few vege's this winter. It certainly would be a new fun thing. I have a bunch of house plants, so I figure I could try a tomato or lettuce. There is a roof window that gives my plants morning sun. Plus supplemental light, I might be able to grown some eatibles.

Thanks for starting this thread. Love it.
Labratinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #35
Topper
Avalon Senior Member

I live in a sleepy little town on Long Island. I wake just prior to the sun. I find my way downstairs in the darkness and light a fire just before I brew a pot of coffee.
I call out to my girls, Tallulah Belle and Daisy Mae, and let them out through the mud room door. Into the rear yard they romp, their paws swishing the dew covered grass, as they search curiously through the fallen leaves that have now darned their autum colors. The steam from the coffee nuzzles my nose as I rock on the porch swing and enjoy the serene morning my life has afforded me.
Peace and harmony to all....Topper
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:31 AM   #36
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Aloha everyone. Well I've spent the last two weekends sitting on my bum from 8am to 5 pm learning all about aquaponics and have thought of a design systems that dirt cheap and easy to build.

One can easily have a green tank of water if they want to breed fish... but the more interesting tank is the one that feeds the fish poop to the water beds where the vegetables are grown.

I've got all the plans for a commercial system but was really thinking of what would work for a simple family. These systems have to be designed so the air bubbler gets oxygen to the fish to keep them alive, but the commercial system can cost in electricity. We were looking at both solar and wind generator to cut down on th electrical bill, however solar is also expensive. I want something, cheap, low maintenance and exceptionally effective.

The commercial system is made out of plywood and fibreglass, then coated with latex paint on the outside.. I have to check on the inside. Basically it is like building a boat inside out for the fish tank. But we also came up with a way of using stakes, rebarb, hogwire fencing or another type of flexable fencing to set up for a circular tank where a roll of foam, felt of some type of insulator could be used on the outside of the tank and then cover in gardner's shade cloth because it holds up to UV radiation and then there would be the 100 milimeter liner inside with the netting to prevent the fish from putting holes in the liner.

The fish breed when the water is warmer.

The fish water is pumped out of the fish tank into the water beds which are 12 inches high and 30 feet long. The waterbeds are covered in 2 inch foam insulation with circular holes cut into them to hold the little 2 inch basket that holds the soil and two newly sprouted seeds. Using the fish water production time is cut in half for both fruits and vegetables. One can even grow sweet lettuce successfully, tomatoes, leeks above water where the root system is down beneath the float, onions, beans.. almost anything. So these systems really work. One just has to keep the Ph right for the fish. There is no fertilazation ever needed and the kicker is one can grow prawns under the floats as well. They get huge 8 - 12 inches. The fish we use is Talipia or catfish. We were thinking of doing an experiment of growing rice and Taro as well. One method would be to use organic cotton and place over a coat wire mesh roll directly over the water instead of the float rafts and see how that work. The fish tank has to be covered either with shade cloth or some type of roof to prevent algea buildup.. just as the waterbeds need to be covered with the rafts for the same reason.

What is exciting is how easily it is to grow one's own food and have it filled with nutrition. One is producing their own fish to eat, prawns, vegetables and fruit in a very small space. This system can also easily go into a green house in cold climate areas as well.

While I was away in the trainings my husband made a leg band for the young chicken that has been living in the bathroom since she was a hatchling so he can take her out for walks without fear she'll take off and get attacked by the older hens. So he comes home for lunch today and puts her little leg leash on and off they go outside for a walk. It is too funny.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:01 AM   #37
Trishsgate
Avalon Senior Member

Good evening everyonel hope all is well and you are enjoying life. I need to get close to that stove tonight as it is 41 degrees right now.

A little hectic week for me I have been printing out recipes of how to make things for quite a large group of people in the business community as well as locals, some talks with the community on sustainability, they are very excited on saving money in these times.

Spent this day mostly inside. We are prepping the garden for next year clearing some additional land and getting ready to plow it under. We are also looking at designs for a large greenhouse that we can heat through the winter months. Also clearing the land for a dome home. Lastly donated some food Saturday to the needy in our area.

I can sense worry and uncertainty within the people of our community many are definetly concerned, I try to calm as much as possible and to give some tips that may restore calmness and contentment to their lives that is the best I can do right now.

Love & Peace
Trish
Trishsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #38
Labratinaz
Avalon Senior Member

The coffee is steaming. The sun is peaking out from between the clouds. The kitchen is warming up as the sun light comes into the window past my houseplants. It is supposed to be a rainy windy day today. Maybe the sun is only saying "Howdy" for a short while.

Anyone here try indoor vegetable gardening? Any tricks?

The finches are back. They are fighting with one another for a perch. Doves are on the ground picking and poking for seeds.

What a glorious day in the neighborhood!! Enjoy!
Labratinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #39
Topper
Avalon Senior Member

keep plants far enough from the window that they don't feel the change in temp. Keep your room temp constant. It's hard, but manageable.
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #40
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

hi all love this thread soooo much , its a real plesure to read your post .
you may remember ,i was to meet with the elderly gentleman that i recently had a bit of a chat with .
well we had an arangement to meet today at midday to have lunch in a nice quay side
pub . i whent to his bench where i aranged to meet hom and he wasnt there so i walked round to his little flat , but no reply .i went back to the bench still not there .was just about to leave and i saw him a little way off , waited thinking he was on his way but he whent off in another direction .called after him , remember he is blind ,he turned to me and seemd suprie sed i said hi jo ., and he said how do yuo know me .well folks not ony did he forget our lunch date he didnt even remember me. so with a little sadness ipassed a few minutes with him and came back home .
he seemed happi so will keep it simple and stop and talk when i see him .isaid i would tell you how it whent , so alls well , maby let you know when we have another chat .lov yer
Old 11-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #41
Ms. T

I stumbled across this link by accident. I would like to say that it is a very nice thread. I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I am in Louisiana where the weather changes every five minutes. LOL!!! I have my cup of community coffee enjoying the brisk air this morning and the sunshine. I will look forward to reading more here.

Ms. T
Old 11-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #42
Trishsgate
Avalon Senior Member

I have made some homemade lemonade today that I am drinking, no coffee today. The weather is rather warm here we have had a few warm days and I am enjoying the sunshine and outdoors. I feel great and have felt this way since the election is over. A new opportunity exists now a time for change to begin. It all starts within each individual, and I am focusing more on what I can do individually than what my government will or will not do, really it does not matter to me. Of course I will still correspond vocally\monetarily when something is done that I do not agree with.

The home is in total disarray I never knew how much "stuff" I have accumulated over the years, do I donate some of it or hold onto it for future needs is a big question right now. It started with my dad repairing my home, he has replaced the carpet a few doors, doing new wallpaper in the kitchen and bathrooms plus redoing the ceiling and painting. I appreciate the gift but IMO it was not needed I have to admit it does look great now the work of putting all this stuff back begins. I still do not understand why he does these things he knows how I feel about it. I do like the fact he is going to build an encased greenhouse for me and a place to keep chickens\animals these are things I feel important and a great asset not only for me but I feel to help him and the neighbors. Excuse me for not knowing the terminology with farm life, I was a child reared in the city and have never had to do these things but I am learning and willing to learn. I look at these things and see hard work but feel it is necessary. The field is plowed for a big garden next year and I have my non gmo seeds. I am looking into having a storage area for the supplies to make our products which the neighbors and myself can utilize keeping it near the home there will be less cost involved in a centralized location.

Oh well back outside for a little while to enjoy this beautiful day then back to work.

Love & Peace
Trish
Trishsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #43
JohnWdoe
Avalon Senior Member

Today i woke up and looked outside, WE HAVE A FOOT OF SNOW HERE!

no more late nights sitting outside in my spot with my protection circle (circular rocks blessed by a native shaman in my town) so i guess ill have to set it up in my basement.

Tonight we are cooking some chicken (eh, i will eat the tatters and corn) so im helping the family cook tonight, we just bought 2 bottles of whine (one from Germany and the other Canadian) so we are going to put that to the taste test! should be fun.

i just finished my last few bits of the Halloween candy left over (the first night i went ALL out) woke up the next day feeling bloated lol, still it was fun to indulge in the candy :P.

We just recently got a new dollar store in town here that sells alot of cool stuff, it really helps us because we can go buy by the bulk for cheap, good stuff.

Aside that everything has been peachy that reminds me, i have been playing my old Nintendo 64 with Mario Kart (who remembers that?), to make a long story short Peach rocks in that game, great times.
JohnWdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:11 AM   #44
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

As some of you may have noticed I've had this overwhelming urge to clean house.. here and where I sit. In between brooms so-to-speak.

I even learned a nifty trick on how to move all the treads of one page all at once. Now if I could just manage the same trick with the floors here.

Our little chick has disappeared and our daughter was grief stricken. I'm hoping it hopped through the fence to join the chickens next door. We do have a nest of chicken hawks with a nest in th gultch next to us... but are hoping she is okay hiding in the tall ginny grass.

Saturday we went to a brithday party for our friends grandchild.. Hawaiian Cowboy style. Since we raise mini horses they were hooked up to these amish carts and took all the children for rides up and down the road. The cowboy band was excellent and we took off our shoes and had a good time dancing, twirling and spinning around.. afterwards we thought it really would be fun to learn the two-step.

This coming weekend is the construction class on how to build the aquaponic system.. we were told to wear grubby clothes. Hmmm, that seems like a serious hint there.

The weather has been very windy.. and I've been wondering if some solar flares are in the offing..

However, I did pause to wondered if something like comet might happen (which it isn't because we have ET protection) that there isn't anything in my life that I would change. I'd still get up and help our daughter get ready for school, feed the animals, sweep out the kitchen and do all of those little chores that makes up ones life.

And then.. to add a bit of zest an email was sent to me stating "We're watching you." to which I replied, "Delightful." Life is just to dang short to get caught up in being fearful when there is so much wealth to be enjoyed.. beautiful sunsets and sunrises, plants, animals, family, friends and.. chickens! It got so chilly last night I let the dog back in bed with us and the kitty crawls down under the covers too. We have our very own living FOOTWARMERS! However, for those who would like something that you don't have to feed, flax seed and rice in a 24 inch long 6 inch wide flannel bag heated for 2 or 3 minutes in the microwave is great.

Last edited by Carol; 11-11-2008 at 03:42 AM.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #45
Tuza

I haven't posted on this thread before but I feel the need to pour out a complaint about the world, well not the world as such, just the people in it. I have bi-polar, OCD and anxiety attacks, if I don't take the darn medication and I can get so low I cannot stand being in my body and have to fight off suicide, my husband and kids love me a lot (bless them) and would be devastated if I did that. A lot of people I know who suffer from depression can be quite nice souls.

Having said that I am getting really, really, terribly depressed about other sick people who are obviously not on medication and are prone to act out on other souls because of their illness.

I read yesterday on the internet, that a beloved four year old cat was found in a school playground and by police and forensic investigations looked like it had been mutilated by a chainsaw. The owner is devasted and wants the culprits found. I pray to God and the angels to help stop this, and I know these people are sick, but I cannot cope with these things going in the world, it is just too painful. Sorry for venting.

Sometimes I think the sooner that people demise the better, sorry again.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:41 AM   #46
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

i am in ontario too...
but, only a few sparkles of snow in the air, but, it is cold...
i did a little moon bathing, earlier tonight...
and, the clouds were amazing...
i hope they skip town, and, deposit their goodies,
elsewhere

ahhh...winter, the time to stay in and, get stuff done

and, the time to go out, and, ski

love/ susan
the eXchanger
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:58 AM   #47
TranceAm
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: Come have a sit down with me around the Pot Bellied Stove and talk story.

This is a fun thread.. :-) Will read more on the other pages. But I think I got a hopefull and fun story to share.

Today, lazy, tired, and didn't feel like cooking, Beside that one has to open the fridge or freezer and choose........ something..
So I went to the greasy spoon..
It is a joint couple a miles down the road.. Named the Huddle House (I think.... :-)
<Insert verify web, Yep it is, the huddle House.. :-) >
They have decent food, for the price one can afford. The waiters aren't Hooters style and lacking the attitude, same with the clients so it is more like comfy place to eat some food.. (Am I boring already?) So I have some coffee, a salad, the sirlion and some sweet potato fries.. This is the only place i know, they have sweet potato fries, and I love sweet potato fries..
I am sitting by myself, enjoying me dinner, and on occasion, but not to often the friendly waitress request whether the cop of coffee needs a refill.. (Yes Europe.. Here you get a mug, and they keep refilling the damn thing like they get it from a never ending well... Instead of charging by the cup.. Talk about capitalism.. ;-)
I took 1/2 a refill to rewarm my coffee during the dinner, and noticed that shift change was nearing... So I put the tip on the table.. I felt good, the dinner was enjoyable, the waitress was friendly. I tipped 5 bucks between the astray and the empty cup.. Normally I don't go that far, since the dinner was only 14 bucks.. But I thought after this weekend... What the Hell, she makes half my pay an hour, lets have her something extra.... So I walk with the ticket to the cash register, and noticed she forgot to count the salad in the total price for the food. When I told this to the Girl at the cash register She said, well I will give you 10% discount and the salad is included in the main dish, how does that feel? Hmmmmm, Wait a sec, I want to pay for what I ate, and they give me a discount? Am I missing something here? So I said, Yes, it is alright... I payed something 13+ and was still pondering why... So I asked, Why did I get the discount? Because I pointed to what I thought was a mistake from the girl? Or that I was that honest to mention it? She laught and said.. The last... I told her, so honesty DOES pay... She answered.. Now don't be a stranger, come back again.. I answered, I will I will... In the car I remembered, the tip.. That they couldn't have known about...

So the moral of the story

:-) Friendliness and Honesty do pay for everyone :-)

I don't feel like spell checking and in this sharing mood.. Any grammatical errors you find, are yours to keep.. :-)
TranceAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #48
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebins View Post
Autumn/Fall approaches in Central Scotland. Already we have planted spring cabbage and leeks. Only three of my hens have survived from a batch of eight...(dogs got three and Mr fox got two). My apple and pear trees (2 of each) produced nothing this year. I am going to plant more in November. I have one 'raised bed' for planting veg but I am making two more as I am surrounded by fields full of rabbitts...munch...munch. Veg in raised bed was great this year....Red onion, leeks, cabbage and turnip...hey guys don't plant lettuce! waste of time and space. My dogs are all doing great (2 Parsons and 1 Border Terrier). My cat (Boris) is eating like a pig but he is too skinny....I reckon he is ill. The pic on my profile is a view from my house on Xmas day 2007....Do you like? .....
Absolute quality my friend!!!!!!!!!!
You are the place and the 'issness' in "my little book"!!!
Scotland,for one,LEEKS are a must,you and yer personality obviously fost;i have a couple,(leeks) not growin' but in me fridge at the mo. ready for a big,beauttiful stew with some chayze an' stuff,also dogs;i love,animals generally,me being one of the family,i'm sure?!
Crikey Charlie nice s**t this-i would love to sit with you and yer family and have a Lagavullin after a good nosh up and play with yer dogs an'get some photies an'stuff.Then get me ed dine on yer settee in front of a good fire,wind howlin' away,dreamin'of the tomorrow that yesterday sang.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:10 AM   #49
Alexandra

Wonderful and relaxing thread. Thank you Carol.

Last edited by Alexandra; 11-14-2008 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 AM   #50
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Last autumn in Keswick,at The Carles/Castlerigg before a storm front straight off the atlantic gave us a bit me ducks.Selective colouring on The Carles.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote