Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you leaving after the Forum becomes a Paid Subscription?
I am leaving if Avalon is a Paid Subscription. 266 75.78%
I am not leaving. 85 24.22%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #101
deepblu777
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Will you leave if the forum is a Paid Subscription?

"Why not? It's just like our current election process."

I'm sorry, but that statement does nothing to support your position.

I take it that you believe our current election process works, for everyone?

Again, I'm sorry. It's a little difficult for me to tell in some of these posts if you're being serious or sarcastic....

If you're serious, you have more homework to do. If you're interested, I can provide you with a long list of lovely people I've found to be very helpful.
If you're just being funny...not too.

deepblu777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #102
David
Avalon Senior Member

I believe that it is very important to be able to laugh and have fun. We waste too much of our time, energy, and talents on taking it too seriously. Generally speaking, sarcasm is not the best form of humor. There are times when a little sarcastic humor can prompt some laughter, give perspective, and relieve tension so that we can get back to being productive again. I am sarcastic by nature and will not change.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, that was not my intention. I am not interesting in supporting my position for this and is simply an opinion. If your being condescending ....don't.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #103
Artycarl
Avalon Senior Member

Why dont we have a paid area of the forum for people to contribute financially if they want to and which might have non essentials in like a chatroom or some other area of extended content.

This would allow those who are happy to contribute to the sites upkeep to do so but would not stop other people from finding the information they might need.
Artycarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #104
Swanny
I dont need a label !

It's quite simple, if the owners want to use this site to make money they just add adverts, if they want to help everyone they just add paypal donation link.
It doesn't cost much to run a forum, no need to pay mods, there are always people ready to do that for free.
By keeping it free and adding adverts they will make much more money than by making people subscribe.
If they make it subscription only they will kill it, they will lose a lot of people and their opinions and help, they end up with a few people and some of which will probably think they are better than those that can't afford it.
As for a subscription stopping misinformation that's a joke isn't it???

I wouldn't want to be part of this forum if I had to pay, irrelevant of whether or not I can afford to do so.
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #105
Average Joe
Avalon Senior Member

I can afford to pay but won't pay. Information that could save your ass should be free. And as I'm not yet convinced that my ass needs saving from anything that is about to happen (or more likely, not happen), then I don't want to be paying for information that could be pointless or useless.

I understand that Bill and Kerry have running costs which they have to meet for the forum and for their extensive travelling.

There must be other ways of raising funds.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #106
David
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post

There must be other ways of raising funds.
How about paraphernalia such as bumper stickers, T-shirt, hats and such? This is a website called http://www.zazzle.com that makes these items easy to design and order.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #107
Ampgod
Avalon Senior Member

I do appreciate what they do for the masses here.
However, I would make the choice to leave if this became a pay site.

That's my insignificant 2 cents worth.

Peace,
Ampgod
Ampgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #108
deepblu777
Avalon Senior Member

Again, sorry, I didn't mean to sound condesending either.

Gosh, we must be so careful to speak from the heart and not be misinterpreted, right?

All my best feelings!

deepblu777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #109
suchanawesomekid
Avalon Senior Member

i don't know
but i think avalon should remain totally free
thats the key to the success of places like myspace and youtube.

peace xx
suchanawesomekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:15 AM   #110
Patchjacket
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb Re: Will you leave if the forum is a Paid Subscription?

I'm still thinking about it.
Bill and Kerry are in a Not for Profit business by choice.

It comes to mind that Bill and Kerry established the forum to complement the Camelot site. It's comparable to adding a cafe to a filling station. The filling station is doing well. The cafe isn't pulling it's weight and is costing a lot in time and energy.

In such cases a business owner would either re-tool the cafe business to run according to the business plan or shut it down. Perhaps the forum was too big a step. Perhaps their interests are now elsewhere. Or, perhaps they need deep pocket sponsors.

It's not the customer's problem!

In any case, raising prices on the customer won't solve a business problem.
Patchjacket
Patchjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #111
Peter
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPEFUL View Post
Hello Avalonians,
I'm a new member of this forum. This is my first post and here's why:
I've found a link to this forum about a month ago. Ever since I've read numerous threads and post daily. I feel my life changing.... I'm changing! Without going into details of my "awakening" process which is still in a very early stages I'd like to ask to please leave this door wide open for others like me. I would not give this forum a second look if I had to pay to "take a peek". I'm still searching for the path my life will take me and this forum is my guiding light. Thank you Bill and Kerry, thank you andmin and mods and thank you all members for sharing and believe it or not - teaching to take the first steps and balance the anormous amount of information we're absorbing.
Hopeful
I have'nt read all of the 5 pages of posts so far but I agree with HOPEFUL, if I introduce new people to this forum they would'nt bother with it if they and I speak for myself had to pay. although Operators idea of asking for timely donations is a good one i believe.
I'm prepared to contribute for the cause and thank you Bill and Kerry and the team and all of you who open doors closed to many, thankx, Peter.
Keep on keeping on.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #112
DiVineEnvy
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchjacket View Post
It comes to mind that Bill and Kerry established the forum to complement the Camelot site. It's comparable to adding a cafe to a filling station. The filling station is doing well. The cafe isn't pulling it's weight and is costing a lot in time and energy.

In such cases a business owner would either re-tool the cafe business to run according to the business plan or shut it down. Perhaps the forum was too big a step. Perhaps their interests are now elsewhere. Or, perhaps they need deep pocket sponsors.

It's not the customer's problem!
Where the filing station and cafe analogy breaks down is that you typically have to at least buy a cuppa coffee (if not the breakfast special) to sit at the cafe. Speaking of coffee, the mentioned $30 per year subscription translates to a paltry $2.50 per month. That's less than than what you'd have to shell out for just a single cafe latte. That's cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggywrinkle View Post
Some suggestions for the administrations discussion

-If technically viable, Avalon remains available for all comers on a read only basis. This way no one is denied critical information.

- paid subscribers are held to a higher standard leaving the food fight of the open forum and entering a classroom/library environment. Serious participants only.
Baggywrinkle's suggestion of allowing non-subscribers to read threads on the forum but not to post is akin in Patchjacket's filing station analogy to being able to look at people through the cafe window enjoying a meal and even being able to overhear the conversation at the table, but not being able to order anything or being a part of any conversation. Maybe if they are hungry enough, thirsty enough or if the conversation in there sounds interesting enough, they might just be motivated to walk in and pay for a cup of coffee.

Last edited by DiVineEnvy; 11-04-2008 at 08:36 AM.
DiVineEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #113
linkes
Avalon Senior Member

Hi

I am on a site where they had the same issue didnt want to take the subcription away from those who could not afford, so they instituted an auction section where memebers auctioned off stuff or services which they donated while other members bought all the stuff and also had donation section.

The site is still going so it must have been sucessfull I donate when I have the money and buy items or services from this site on a regular basis but it also give me the freedom to still be a memeber when I cant afford it.

Peace and Blessings
Linkes
linkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #114
dayzero
Avalon Senior Member

I wouldn't mind, it's not a lot to pay, and it may weed out some of the timewasters too.

I would have thought that. what with server space and admin etc etc to pay [this forum is growing] that something has to be paid for at some point.
The question is, do you want adverts [NO!] or a small subscription [YES!]

Also bear in mind that Camelot and all the interviews [hours and hours thereof] will still be free, so....

[And no, i don't work for them!]

dayzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #115
dayzero
Avalon Senior Member

>

Last edited by dayzero; 11-26-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: bad feeling
dayzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #116
Evolution22
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Also, let us know if you plan on staying if the forum becomes a paid subscription forum.
This poll will help us understand how a paid subscription service
will affect the Avalon forum.

Thanks,
Kevin - Project Avalon Spiritual Mediator

Yes would leave.

What a horrible idea. I hope this Idea isn't from Bill or Kerry!
Evolution22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #117
dutchie
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer View Post
Allthough I own and run a forum that could easily overtake the functions of Avalon where nobody has to pay (because of the low servercosts: about $100.- a year and of which I will not place a link here) I will pay for the servercosts of Avalon (even cheaper than my own forum) if the owners think they can't afford it.
If this subscription money is meant to go to the mods for their many hours of hard work than it's a whole other story but even that I am already supporting.

So I say nobody should pay or subscribe.

Furthermore I contribute to this forum as much as I can, bringing in my knowledge and good vibrations and I am not going to pay for being allowed to share my abundance.
If people want to share my abundance then they just have to mail me or PM and I will invite them in my house, feed them, give them a place to sleep but I will not pay them for that.

So will I leave when Avalon becomes a subscription forum? Definitly !!
The one who came up with this idea should be ashamed.

It's like an online salessite:
Offer it for free, after downloading say it's a trial version and start charging money after 30 days.
No way Jose!
We have our own Ark to build in Europe as well !!
I am in the Netherlands Peer lets go for it
dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #118
dutchie
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Having a paid subscription does leave a lot of people out of the loop but it also creates a forum that helps prevent stupid and unnecessary comments that only create negativity and distraction from the main topic.
Sorry ahhhh Dave, where is it written money makes ya less stupid in your comments?
dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #119
suchanawesomekid
Avalon Senior Member

i think avalon should have a giant "donate now" button on top of every page
like they have on the real news website

but the concept of the forum should remain 100% free
it could be a real logistics error to charge for posting privileges

please bill, kerry and the rest of the avalon team, think about this one

xx
suchanawesomekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #120
efields
Avalon Senior Member

Yes a Donate Button is whats needed. Many of us have no money to live let alone send money to support others. My work ended with the financial crisis and I really have no extra finds for Avalon, Whitley Strieber, or Jeff Rense etc. SO if coin will be needed to enter It will be a place like Rense. I used to love hearing/going but now I occasionally go to read an article.. Same goes for Art Bell. I can't even remember last time I went there, just can't afford it. If I sell my home or get work I'll consider a donation, but thats the real deal. Just have no extra till or when I do I'd be happy to donate... But can't now.
efields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #121
David
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblu777 View Post
Again, sorry, I didn't mean to sound condesending either.

Gosh, we must be so careful to speak from the heart and not be misinterpreted, right?

All my best feelings!

Hi deepblu, you hit the nail on the head. I think a large part of problems on this forum are misunderstandings. Text by nature lack emotion unless the poster is incredibly articulate. I am not and although some of my post may come off a little rude, 99.11% of the time I have good intentions but no none is perfect.

Lets all have one big hug. I'm serious!

Last edited by David; 11-04-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #122
Baggywrinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by efields View Post
Many of us have no money to live let alone send money to support others.
It might be acceptable to donate time or knowledge instead of $$

We are real people with real skills.

A work shares system could be explored. Bartering knowledge for labor or goods. Yes, goods. You teach me
basic electricity, I ship you a bushel of sweet corn.
Ebay style.

Quid pro quo, something for something.

Avalon is about international community. Virtual communities can transcend the barrier into reality.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. The money system
is dying. What will you do to adapt?

How big can you dream?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #123
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

I've already posted my opinion on having to pay here...I will leave and never look back. The only reason I've seen suggested for having to pay is so we can support Bill and Kerry's globe-hopping. Why should we? They never mix with the hoi polloi. Not interested.

Then there's the even more important matter of passing information freely. The truly historic nature of the Internet is that for the first time ever, millions of regular folks from all over the world can hook up in real time. This can be abused of course, and often is...but the potential for spreading and sharing ideas is phenomenal!

My position is, if you want to make money from the Internet, set up a website and sell something. Thousands of people are doing it. But to set a pricetag on the interchange of ideas is just wrong.

One more point. If I was asked to contribute voluntarily, I would. I value this forum highly enough that I'd even devote some of my time to help moderate (I've offered - no interest - that's ok by me too). But I'm insulted when someone suggests that if my income doesn't reach their standards I'm not worthy to share ideas with them.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #124
herbivore
Avalon Senior Member

requiring people to pay in order to access a source of information and interaction with like-minded people? that's no change. that's exactly what the powers that be would do.

forcing a more narrow-mind on all and everyone through the requirement of monetary exchanges for knowledge? sounds like the policy of many familiar institutions...
herbivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #125
herbivore
Avalon Senior Member

IT IS an insult when someone suggests that if my income doesn't reach their standards I'm not worthy to share ideas with them.
herbivore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum, paid subscription