Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you leaving after the Forum becomes a Paid Subscription?
I am leaving if Avalon is a Paid Subscription. 266 75.78%
I am not leaving. 85 24.22%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #251
Dean Plejaren
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Will you leave if the forum is a Paid Subscription?

77% say they are leaving with the subscription in place.

What a mistake. It's definitely got nothing to do with the peoples best interest.
Dean Plejaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #252
Rebel4Life
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Bill and Karen looks like my thread is still there to spread the word.
Rebel4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #253
Mark
Avalon Senior Member

Even though the cost of the subscription is nominal, I've just not got it to spend on food let alone this forum, I'm not going to be able to continue supporting this forum and will go elsewhere from now on. Hasn't Bill or Kerry seen the poll? Has the 'Man' got to them? This all seems very strange haven't to have to pay when the whole purpose of this forum and infomation - again - has the powers-that-be love it to be - the ones with the money have their say and keep their control.

Does anyone else have the feeling that we are on the wrong side?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #254
Bill Ryan
Project Avalon Co Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainl140285 View Post
Are the whistleblowers expected to pay to share their knowledge?
No.
Bill Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #255
Bill Ryan
Project Avalon Co Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Plejaren View Post
77% say they are leaving with the subscription in place.

What a mistake. It's definitely got nothing to do with the peoples best interest.
77% did not know that the minimum subscription was $1 a month, or that a subscribing member could sponsor a nominated member who felt they could not afford that.
Bill Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #256
eraser2012
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs up Re: Will you leave if the forum is a Paid Subscription?

Bill/Kerry: what about a 1-time registration fee when you sign up of like $5? This would surely more than pay for the hosting and management of Avalon. I understand entirely that there are costs to do what you are doing.. I think we all understand that. I know you plan to offer a discounted subscription for those who can't afford the $5/mo, but this information needs to be public domain.

Another alternative, which might make much more sense, is to go ahead and either have sponsors for the site who can then advertise (limited, of course) for supporting the site OR make a wide and strong appeal for financial contributions by those who value your mission (like most of us here). This would be a voluntary option and you are likely to have more than a few of us who might cough up enough cash in total to support the site for the next 12 months or so.

Anyway it it sliced, Project Avalon will likely suffer substantially from a subscription edict both from a population/audience standpoint and from a content standpoint. I hope an alternative can be worked out. (Can you combine Camelot and Avalon to just one site to reduce overhead?)

ATTENTION: SEEKING A HERO (OR HEROIN!) WHO HAS THE MEANS AND UNDERSTANDS THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS INFORMATION AND FORUM TO DONATE WHATEVER THEY FEEL APPROPRIATE TO PROTECT THE VITAL ACCESS TO THE PROJECT AVALON COMMUNITY.

I hope Bill/Kerry that you can provide the community with a donation goal sufficient to meet your expenses and needs for the next 12 months and that you will provide some benefit to anybody donating over a certain amount (such as recognition, special honor, etc).

All the best guys

Last edited by eraser2012; 11-19-2008 at 04:23 PM.
eraser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #257
zorgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser2012 View Post
This would surely more than pay for the hosting and management of Avalon.
As has been said, the HOSTING of Avalon costs very little... the money is for world tours to chat with whistle blowers... Nice work if you can get it...

77% also did not do the math...

A goodbye thread... how appropriate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reunite View Post
I think not listening to 77% of their supporters suggesting other means to generate an income is career suicide, in saying that I wish Bill & Kerry all the best of luck in the future.
Not really if you look at the numbers... and I too agree with you that its not the money (though 60.00 a years IS outrageous) but the principle.

How can you purport to be a whistle blower on government and PTB wrong doing and greed, then say you will charge for it?

Now then, lets look at the numbers for a minute and put this in perspective...

Fee... 60.00 a year...

Current members as of today...

5,342 times 60 equals $320,520.00

Active Members as of today... about 50%

2,651 times 60 equals $159,060.00

If only half of the ACTIVE members pony up the loot (25% of total members)... that still leaves $79,530.00 a year income. Not to shabby where I come from.

Most of us have to work HARD to get even close to half that for a yearly income, but this money will be used so the Camelot crew can travel around the world to talk to people (who may or may not have anything of value to say, truth wise, as recent wrong predictions have shown)

Add the book sales, t-shirts, coffee mugs and CD's/DVD's and you have a very lucrative business.

Impressive Maybe I should reconsider 'getting into the business' After all ATS is now worth over $250,000.00

So the book is already at 1500 pages in draft form. Seems to me this was planned all along. Hoagland would be proud. Don't forget the Press Club in Washington release. RH sold a LOT of copies from that release

Congratulations for joining the ranks of "Truth for Megabucks" whistle blowers. May you live well in your posh resort in Australia while the ground crews scramble for cover in the dirt when the SHTF, as it so obviously will according to all the 'info' spread here.

Now excuse me... I have to make some changes on the front page of my website
Old 11-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #258
Lotus
Avalon Senior Member

I guess we won't be reading anymore zorgon
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #259
Mark
Avalon Senior Member

It all goes down to this - if you have money then your opinion has worth - if you ain't, though! Just read what the moneyed lots thinks - smacks of NWO! Or at least how they like to run things.

I feel a bit conned - Bill ,Kerry - you get us hocked to the site and then ask for cash - typical drug dealler tactics. Not impressed.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:35 PM   #260
hueyii
Avalon Senior Member

Wish they had grandfathered in current members and required subscription for new members. Other sites have done this and it provides value by keeping the postings going while at the same time showing value to potential subscribers. a good model IMO. The model they are using will strip posting to a trickle and who wants to join a board with little content?
hueyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:57 PM   #261
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyii View Post
Wish they had grandfathered in current members and required subscription for new members. Other sites have done this and it provides value by keeping the postings going while at the same time showing value to potential subscribers. a good model IMO. The model they are using will strip posting to a trickle and who wants to join a board with little content?
That's exactly what I said and I still think it's the only way this site will survive.
It's a shame to kill a forum with so much potential.
And what happens when only a very few subscribe??
There will be a empty forum and no money in their pockets for whatever.
So what happens then?? Maybe I'm stupid but that makes no sense to me
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:00 PM   #262
Baggywrinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyii View Post

Oh yes, without a doubt, there will be an exodus. It will be quiet for a while.

But make no mistake. The pay board can not only survive, it can thrive.

Another vibrant board, ldsavow.com has over 1900 active members.
But forget about lurking at another voice of warning. You have to pay to even peek. I'm a member and we do not belong to the LDS Church.
They run classes. They have group buys, and they are bound to a guideline
of silence. What is said there stays there which encourages a free and polite discussion. Count yourself lucky that you will be able to read here at Avalon should you choose to surf by for a visit.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #263
Reunite
Avalon Senior Member

I'm excited I found a new place to network

http://www.astrovera.com/forum/index.php
Reunite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #264
KathyT
Avalon Senior Member

I read part of this thread earlier, and have just come back to the end.

My suggestion, directly to you both Bill and Kerry, is why don't you have the moderators (and yourself) do a fund raising drive like Public Broadcasting stations do it?

That way it is voluntary... and with enough convincing... you should be able to justify your case for seeking more contributions.

Please consider this...
KathyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #265
hueyii
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reunite View Post
I'm excited I found a new place to network

http://www.astrovera.com/forum/index.php
Do they edit/remove posts there? I've heard complaints of it here but havent experienced it.
hueyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #266
martina
Avalon Senior Member

I am illiterate in forums, internet, etc, I don't know how to pay, although, I am willing to.
martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #267
RSF
Avalon Senior Member

I'd like to suggest this is silly-ness, but with all the pages of interest I'd suggest why?
Bush2 is out PE Obama's in -- shoot what else is there to whine about? oops
RSF
RSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #268
RubyTuesday
Avalon Senior Member

I wasn't sure and have now decided. Yes, I'll be leaving. This all feels wrong to me. Thank you guys here as well as Bill and Kerry for all you have done in the past. I will probably still read- just discuss elsewhere once the banning starts. Peace to all.
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #269
Jenny
Project Avalon Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martina View Post
I am illiterate in forums, internet, etc, I don't know how to pay, although, I am willing to.
Hi Martina,

Being dutch as well maybe you want to PM me and I will show you how you can donate and/or pay subscription.

I can explain in dutch..that would be easier for you to understand I hope.

Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #270
freekatz
Avalon Senior Member

If I can't start paying for a couple of months (due to a current financial crises) does that mean I will be deleted or can my little page be saved in a sort of cyberspace deep freezer and resurrected later on? I hate to go through the whole palaver of starting up again....
freekatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #271
Mark
Avalon Senior Member

Those with the money will have their say and theose who do not will only be able to read what is said by the people with money - that's New World Order in a nutshell...
Old 11-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #272
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

It was nice while it lasted that early information bubble... the early energy the wealth of information shared freely... I still come here to see what is happening but it looks like I'm back on my own again seeking my own path... is there a tumbleweed icon?
Connecting with Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #273
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

The information bubble is going to expand exponentially as we are in the process of fleshing out our Library. The fun has only just begun.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:09 AM   #274
Peace2all
Avalon Senior Member

How do you put a cost on knowledge, friendship, inspiration etc. I have wasted money on stupid books, boring workshops and not to mention time I would have wasted searching for some of the information on this site. Let alone some of the amazing people we have met and made contact with from all over the world! How hard is it to find people like us in your neighborhood?
I can understand that there are running costs involved, but what I don't like is that all cannot afford to stay. Gregor for one puts the most incredible posts, he spends hours of time researching and is a real ASSET. It would be a real shame to Project Avalon to loose the "free wisdom" some of these unable to subscribe.
As a suggestion along with donations for others who cant afford subscription. Maybe some sort of monthly thread vote and "free subscription" offered to those that post popular threads?
Just another issue is we tried to organise a Ground Crew meeting and had issues with some being concerned with security of meeting, phone numbers addresses and such let alone giving out your credit card name details etc. I'm concerned this may not be a good direction to take for Avalon, don't we want to get rid of credit cards anyway? Would not like to see people go because of dam stupid money.
Peace2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #275
Sol Invictus
Banned

Guess I'll be saying good bye then. Its not the paying that is the problem, it is the principal of it.

You want us to create lots of posts for lots of traffic for your financial benefit, and get us to pay for it? A' freaking 'mazing.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum, paid subscription