Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Project Camelot General Discussion

Notices

Project Camelot General Discussion Reactions, feedback and suggestions on interviews, current events and experiences.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Default Robotic teacher in a japanese schools!

Wednesday 11/3/09 Top Searches

A robotic teacher with an eerily lifelike face is proving a hit in Japanese classrooms.
But the developer says it is not about to replace human instructors.
Unlike more mechanical-looking robots, the robot teacher, called Saya, can express six basic emotions because its rubber skin is being pulled from the back with motors and wiring around the eyes and the mouth.
In a demonstration, the robot's mouth popped open, its eyes widened and eyebrows arched to appear surprised.

It also said simple pre-programmed phrases such as thank you, while its lips moved, to express pleasure.
"Robots that look human tend to be a big hit with young children and the elderly," Hiroshi Kobayashi, Tokyo University of Science professor and Saya's developer, said.
First developed as a receptionist robot in 2004, Saya was tested in a real Tokyo classroom with a handful of fifth and sixth graders, although it still can't do much more than call out names and shout orders like "be quiet." The children had great fun, Kobayashi recalled.
Japan and other nations are hopeful robotics will provide a solution for their growing labour shortage problem as populations age.
But scientists express concern about using a machine to take care of children and the elderly.
Ronald C Arkin, professor at the Georgia Institute of Technology, said more research in human-robot interaction is needed before overly relying on robots.
Last Updated: Wednesday, 11 March 2009, 22:28 GMTPost: del.icio.us Digg Netscape Newsvine Now Public Q&A

Just the look of this freaked me out, but it was said the children had fun! makes you wonder what the kids think is scary out there,
It does say however it taught fifth and six grades,not the really young then, but still a little freaky i think. I certainly wouldn't want my 8 year old grandson being taught by it, i could imagine him having nightmares, a lot of kids can not relate to people dressed up in costumes etc, i remember my own son when he was small, my grandson also was frightened stiff of statues in museums and places like Madam Tausauds, goodness knows how he would have felt going to school and being confronted with a robotic teacher. Some may say this is the way of the future but sorry my ideals are far from happy with this freak show.
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
jetles
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Robotic teacher in a japanese schools!

OH GOD

That Pic scared me

Poor Kids
jetles is offline   Reply With Quote