Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
PilotSimone
Avalon Senior Member

Default Gluten: What you don't know might kill you

An estimated 99 percent of people who have a problem with eating gluten don't even know it. They ascribe their ill health or symptoms to something else--not gluten sensitivity, which is 100 percent curable.

Quote:
But eating a nice dark, crunchy slice of whole wheat bread--how could that be bad for you?

Well, bread contains gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, rye, spelt, kamut, and oats. It is hidden in pizza, pasta, bread, wraps, rolls, and most processed foods. Clearly, gluten is a staple of the American diet.

What most people don't know is that gluten can cause serious health complications for many. You may be at risk even if you don't have full blown celiac disease.

A recent large study in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that people with diagnosed, undiagnosed, and "latent" celiac disease or gluten sensitivity had a higher risk of death, mostly from heart disease and cancer. (i)

This study looked at almost 30,00 patients from 1969 to 2008 and examined deaths in three groups: Those with full-blown celiac disease, those with inflammation of their intestine but not full-blown celiac disease, and those with latent celiac disease or gluten sensitivity (elevated gluten antibodies but negative intestinal biopsy).

The findings were dramatic. There was a 39 percent increased risk of death in those with celiac disease, 72 percent increased risk in those with gut inflammation related to gluten, and 35 percent increased risk in those with gluten sensitivity but no celiac disease.

And it's not just a few who suffer, but millions. Far more people have gluten sensitivity than you think--especially those who are chronically ill. The most serious form of allergy to gluten, celiac disease, affects one in 100 people, or three million Americans, most of who don't know they have it. But milder forms of gluten sensitivity are even more common and may affect up to one-third of the American population.
Quote:
A review paper in The New England Journal of Medicine listed 55 "diseases" that can be caused by eating gluten. (iv) These include osteoporosis, irritable bowel disease, inflammatory bowel disease, anemia, cancer, fatigue, canker sores, (v) and rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and almost all other autoimmune diseases. Gluten is also linked to many psychiatric (vi) and neurological diseases, including anxiety, depression, (vii) schizophrenia, (viii) dementia, (ix) migraines, epilepsy, and neuropathy (nerve damage). (x) It has also been linked to autism.(ix)
Gluten: What you don't know might kill you

Quote:
American strains of wheat have a much higher gluten content (which is needed to make light, fluffy Wonder Bread and giant bagels) than those traditionally found in Europe. This super-gluten was recently introduced into our agricultural food supply and now has "infected" nearly all wheat strains in America.
I'm sure you're shocked that almost all wheat in America has been infected.
PilotSimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
no caste
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Gluten: What you don't know might kill you

What a timely post, PilotSimone

An acquaintance who has been recovering for a few years from some serious issues just turned off gluten (completely) too. She's been doing better and better for one year - really great actually. But, what she noticed now in the last few weeks is her foot baths. They come out clear now. I guess the gluten etc seeps from the intestinal walls into the blood stream, causing all kinds of mucky trouble for organs, arteries and so on.

She also told me that grains in northern climates have higher gluten content than their original counterparts in ancient regions. It's a plant adaptation thing, so grains in North America are particularly bad health-wise for their high gluten content, though it's kind of neat from a plant point of view.

It rubs off on me. Got some bean flour muffins to do.

Last edited by no caste; 04-09-2010 at 04:54 AM.
no caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

David Jubb says glutin is an un-digestible protein which causes major issues.

He is interviewed on one radio network once a month and his archived shows are enlightening.
Connecting with Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
Czarek
Avalon Senior Member

[QUOTE=no caste;218577]What a timely post, PilotSimone

But, what she noticed now in the last few weeks is her foot baths. They come out clear now. QUOTE]

Can any one direct me to a source explaining the process of this cleanse?

TIA
C
Czarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
no caste
Avalon Senior Member

PilotSimone, the muffins were great. Thanks for the jig

Czarek, there's some debate about these foot baths, but if you search ion foot bath or detoxification foot spa kinds of terms, you'll find stuff. It's supposed to draw toxins out of the soles of the feet.
no caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

I can not eat gluten either, it actually almost killed me!

Bread flour by the way has other compunds too like inorganic iron to help it rise, it is lethal!

Now I have moved to buckwheat (which is not related to wheat, it is a seed not a grain) and doing well

I found an artisan that makes unleaven biodynamic bread, he mills the flour, uses purified water, quite something. It is not cheap but again, a little goes a long way cos its satisfying and high in protein

Love
Stardustaquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
She-Ra
Avalon Senior Member

Isn't there confusion as to whether there is gluten in oats?
She-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Ra View Post
Hi She Ra, there is gluten in oats, rye and barley

Love
Old 03-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Ra View Post
Yes She-Ra....there is a lot of confusion about what grains have gluten and what don't.

I am gluten sensitive. I have been told that Kamut is ok, & I buy both Kamut and Spelt breads which seem to work for me.

From my research I have discovered that buckwheat has gluten & oats too.

It appears that only the ancient grains such as millet, quinoa, rice, spelt, kamut are gluten free.

But some disagree with this, particularly the buckwheat & oats. I avoid both as a precaution.

More & more people are now being diagnosed with gluten intolerance. No one is health care or government is talking about this grave danger to our health, & the people are doing their own digging & self-diagnosing. It was through my own self-diagnosing that I discovered I had this problem.

My theory is GMO wheat crops that is causing the problem.
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitinginthewings View Post

From my research I have discovered that buckwheat has gluten & oats too.
This link says otherwise http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/buckwht.html I am more than sensitive, I am alergic but can tolerate well buckwheat, still, it is a personal thing

Love
Old 03-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
Snowbird
Avalon Senior Member

I also must travel the gluten-free path. Purchasing g-f bakery items is very expensive, although worth the price in improved digestion.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks so much for putting this up here for us

After 4 months of suffering we are finally getting an answer to the cause of my grandsons illnesses.

He had to endure 4 ER visits, 2 IVs and finally a two day hospital stay where they had to completely clean out his colon

On Tues now he will undergo minor surgery but since his hospital visit and new "gluten free" diet he is smiling once again
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
conkroach
Avalon Senior Member

Timely for me as well, thanks! I've suspected gluten as the basis of my inflammatory reactions in my body.

I've read that oats may have only a small amount of gluten. I use Quinoa flour to make bread and muffins. Yummy!

Another reason to avoid bread is the bromides contained in it. Bromides supplant iodine in the thyroid, causing all manner of problems. Just like fluoride will.
conkroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #14
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardustaquarion View Post
This link says otherwise http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/buckwht.html I am more than sensitive, I am alergic but can tolerate well buckwheat, still, it is a personal thing

Love
Stardustaquarion: Tks for that link......I have a lovely recipie somewhere tucked away for a summer dish using Buckwheat. Guess I'll get back to doing this dish again.
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote