Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Exclamation What the Heck Happened Last Night?!?!?

September 26, shortly after midnight (Pacific time), my wife and I were both up late on our computers. We were both at Avalon as a matter of fact, and I was in the midst of composing a post on Fear over at the Spirituality Forum, when both of us lost our contact with the Forum. When I tried to reconnect, my computer told me it couldn't find the server. Within a few minutes I learned that EVERY alternative news/information/community site I could find was down, including my own website, www.indigodave.com.

I checked a series of sites...most commercial sites were up...international news such as Al-Jazeera, London Daily, Jerusalem Post and Hindu Times still up. But Rense, PrisonPlanet, Stray Reality, Conspiracy Planet and many forums...all down. Server can't be found.

This morning it's all back in place again...ANYBODY KNOW WHAT HAPPENED?

whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Default Re: What the Heck Happened Last Night?!?!?

Hi whitecrow,

All host servers are never on air 24/7. Most of the companies that rent out servers boast that they have 99,9% up time. What you experienced was nothing more than a little bit of down time of the Project Avalon host server.

Nothing to worry about, even my site goes down from time to time:

http://www.marketingyourmusic.net (shameless plug!)

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrow View Post

September 26, shortly after midnight (Pacific time), my wife and I were both up late on our computers. We were both at Avalon as a matter of fact, and I was in the midst of composing a post on Fear over at the Spirituality Forum, when both of us lost our contact with the Forum. When I tried to reconnect, my computer told me it couldn't find the server. Within a few minutes I learned that EVERY alternative news/information/community site I could find was down, including my own website, www.indigodave.com.

I checked a series of sites...most commercial sites were up...international news such as Al-Jazeera, London Daily, Jerusalem Post and Hindu Times still up. But Rense, PrisonPlanet, Stray Reality, Conspiracy Planet and many forums...all down. Server can't be found.

This morning it's all back in place again...ANYBODY KNOW WHAT HAPPENED?

Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Heretic
Avalon Senior Member

could have been a router issue

were there any commercial sites down too, or was ONLY conspiracy sites
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A;28[RIGHT
848]...What you experienced was nothing more than a little bit of down time of the Project Avalon host server.

Nothing to worry about, even my site goes down from time to time...

Steve, my site goes down once in a while too, and server downtime was my first thought. Especially with the rapid growth of this site.

But ALL the alternative sites at once? And ONLY them? Every single server, but none of the mainstream ones?

I might have blamed my own ancient computer, except my wife had the same problem.

I think the community took a hit last night. Since it took place in the middle of the night (morning in Europe though) I'm guessing it was aimed at hosts. Since the sites are back up, maybe it was a warning shot.

Something strange happened on the Internet last night, folks.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
Heretic
Avalon Senior Member

hmmm

perhaps "they" occasionally download all "targeted" sites at once to keep track of things

I have often wondered why a system based on control would hand us the internet in the first place unless it was being used as a monitoring device to create some "list" or other nefarious reasons

They had to have seen it's devastating potential back in 1978 were it to ever be released for public use

Peace
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
hmmm
They had to have seen it's devastating potential back in 1978 were it to ever be released for public use

Heretic, I'm sure you're right about that. And yet, how could they resist? Think of the money to be made! Having succeeded in brainwashing 2 generations with television, how could they not see the mass mind-control potential and not go for it? And the money, OMG the money!

As for growing knowledge...they know how to deal with that. A little disinfo in the right places...constant subtle psy-ops...it only takes a little sugar in the tank, and that car ain't goin' nowhere.

Right now the Internet is the best tool we have for spreading information virally. At the same time most of us would agree there's plenty of BS lying around (although we might not agree on what's BS and what isn't...that's fine).

Learn to discern.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
Norval
Banned

Yes, Gale (in canada) and me here in the usa have had similar experiances with the net like that. Something is afoot that is for sure. Some sites go down, but when specific sites are down together it is kind of funny. Our two web sites are on servers in other countries besides here in the usa, and all have gone off line together?, , , sure. . .
Norval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
Fredkc
Project Avalon Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrow View Post
Steve, my site goes down once in a while too, and server downtime was my first thought. Especially with the rapid growth of this site.

But ALL the alternative sites at once? And ONLY them? Every single server, but none of the mainstream ones?

I think the community took a hit last night. Since it took place in the middle of the night (morning in Europe though) I'm guessing it was aimed at hosts. Since the sites are back up, maybe it was a warning shot.

Something strange happened on the Internet last night, folks.
Actually there are several possibilities, and just because you're pranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you For next time, you might jot down a few IP numbers to further check things out. For instance if Google won't come up, try going to 64.233.167.99 and see if that brings it up.

I also noticed that one very contrarian financial sit I read went down last nite. and was down for most of the evening. It is up again this morning, with no post from it's author, which means it's possible he never even knew it was down.

Now, if a site is down by name, but comes up bty IP address, it means the Internet is working just fine, it's the DNS servers that are kaput. To backfill a bit,
1. what DNS servers do is mintain the database of domain names (google, etc) to IP numbers.
2. info travels in packets. When a packet is received poorly, incompletely, etc, a signal is given to re-send it.
3. DNS servers have their own set of communication protocols, re. their own business. they even have their own "re-send data" signals.

Ok, one thing I watched happen one night about 3 years back, was basically the Chinese testing ways to bring down the internet using a weakness in the DNS signals. In this case theyd picked the PacBell (now AT&T) servers as their target. I say it was the chinese, because, being lucky enough to have seen it begine, theoriginal machine starting all this was located in China. I't might have been spoofed, or hijacked, but they are known for doing this kind of thing.

They used a weakness in the DNS re-send signal; that being there was no packet number to re-send.

The best pictureI can think of is this:
Imagine a park bench where seated are two very hard of hearing, kinda senile old men. A third one sits down, and after a few seconds he opens a conversation by saying to a another, "What was that? I didn't hear you, what did you say?"

Naturally the one he's speaking to has no clue and so he says, "What was that? I didn't hear you, what did you say?" Pretty soon, what you have is three old gentlemen busily jabbering away to each other, saying, "What was that? I didn't hear you, what did you say?"
In fact, they're so busy doing this that they don't hear, or have time for what anyone else might ask or say to them. Diabolical, isn't it?

I watched this begin in california, about 1 AM, 3 years ago. Pretty soon I found that I could not reach ANY website in my favorites. Next thing I tried was connecting to a few sites via IP numbers from my firewall logs. sure enough! The web was all there, working like charm. You just couldn't reach anything by name.

This lasted until bout 6 AM before it was fixed. Now, if AT&T knows, our Feddle Gummint knows, so if they want to take some sites down, without raising too much fuss, that'd be one good way.

Evil cannot be killed. Only redeemed.

Chat us up at: Avalon Chat

Last edited by Fredkc; 09-30-2008 at 02:03 AM.
Fredkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Mark
Avalon Senior Member

Usually when certain sites go down it is because 'they' have started something big - when bombing the Iraq sites went down the day before - usual practice - when it goes down duck and cover...
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
arcora
Banned

I awoke to an email today from my host.

My dedicated server (which never goes down unless I am tweaking it) - went down last night. They didn't say what caused it - only that apache failed.

What is strange now that I think about it is that the server itself will send me an email when apache fails - I got no such email. Instead, I got a personal notification from my host (which I have never gotten before).

I didn't think anything about it until I read this thread.
arcora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredkc View Post
Actually there are several possibilities, and just because you're pranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you For next time, you might jot down a few IP numbers to further check things out. For instance if Google won't come up, try going to 64.233.167.99 and see if that brings it up.

Thank you, Fredkc. I knew there had to be an explanation, and yours makes sense. I once had software on a different computer that tracked every single hacking attempt on my IP. To my utter amazement there were 100s and 100s, the majority of which were automated and originated in China. What you're talking about is a little over my head, but I know enough that it makes sense.

I'm not normally a very paranoid guy. Last night I had to try extra-hard. I only checked about 25 sites. ALL of the alternate sites I have bookmarked were down...but I didn't know enough to check the IP addresses and try it that way. Are you saying that if I know the IP number I can type into the address window and that will bring it up?

I also checked some of the most ordinary sites, such as digital camera reviews and my Toyota forum (I love my 18-yr-old Celica!!)...these were all just fine, came right up. Then I checked the international news sites, including those of our so-called enemies...Al-Jazeera, Uruknet etc were all up and running as were Der Spiegel, Hindu Group, Japan Daily, China Daily, etc.

Also...queerly...certain sites which are "alternate" but which to me at least seem to have dark energy...I won't name them...they were up.

ALL the conspiracy sites. ALL the alternate-type forums. ALL the 9/11 truth sites. ALL the alternate news sources. NOTHING else. That's how it looks to me - obviously I couldn't check ALL the sites, and so far at least I have not connected with anyone else that noticed this.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #12
Fredkc
Project Avalon Member

Whitecrow;
Using the IP will work on most sites with both a dedicated, and exclusive IP.

For instance http://64.233.187.99/ will get you to Google.
or http://66.116.195.67/ will get you to my site.

Many hosts, however stack several sites upon one IP. known as Virtual hosting, this requires a functioning DNS server to distinguish which of many sites you are looking for on that IP

Another method that might have the effect youl saw just occurred to me:
If the govt, or some agent thereof, placed a list of false IP/domain name registrations into the DNS system, then withdrew them a few hours later, the bad addresses would propogate thru the system for a while, and then, once withdrawn, might then be "straightened out". DNS servers are not my thing really, so that is a S.W.A.G., at best, but possible.

Of course this would probably be a crime of some sort, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a DOJ investigation.
Fred

Last edited by Fredkc; 09-26-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Fredkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #13
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredkc View Post
Whitecrow;
Using the IP will work on most sites with both a dedicated, and exclusive IP...

Great info - thanks, Fred! Like I said it's a little over my head, but not so far that it's Greek to me. So as far as what I've learned so far, your explanation makes the most sense. But I can't understand how it could have been anything but a deliberate act.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:44 AM   #14
nodrog
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
I have often wondered why a system based on control would hand us the internet in the first place unless it was being used as a monitoring device to create some "list" or other nefarious reasons...
I have contemplated the same question but I think the answer does become obvious.

The rich source of statistical and person information available to those who might wish to use it for the purpose of control, far out ways any negative impact on the planned NWO. To win a war you often plan to lose some battles, because in the strategy game one does not expect to progress without some loss. Also...

"H.G. Wells, who had so much to say about the Things to Come. There may be a long-term strategy involved in the computerization of the world and the creation of the Internet, which can be discerned by referencing Wells, in a speech before a Round Table front, the Royal Institute of International Affairs, in November, 1936, when he spoke of something called the "World Encyclopaedia." Wells said: "At first the realization of the ineffectiveness of our best thought and knowledge struck only a few people, like Mr. Maynard Keynes, for example... It is science and not men of science that we want to enlighten and animate our politics and rule the world... I want to suggest that something, a new social organization, a new institution—which for a time I shall call World Encyclopaedia... This World Encyclopaedia would be the mental background of every intelligent man in the world... Such an Encyclopaedia would play the role of an undogmatic Bible to World culture. It would do just what our scattered and disoriented intellectual organizations of today fall short of doing. It would hold the world together mentally... It would compel men to come to terms with one another... It is a super university I am thinking of, a World Brain; no less... Ultimately, if our dream is realized, it must exert a very great influence upon everyone who controls administrations, makes wars, directs mass behavior, feeds, moves, starves and kills populations... You see how such an Encyclopaedia organization could spread like a nervous network, a system of mental control about the globe, knitting all the intellectual workers of the world through a common interest and cooperating unity and a growing sense of their own dignity, informing without pressure or propaganda, directing without tyranny."
From "The Encyclopedia of Mind Control (1998)" by Jim Keith

I believe we are in a state of transition and his vision is becoming a reality through the internet. Once people are taught how to think (the wrong way), what people think becomes far less of a problem because people will automatically filter out damaging information. Our schools, all through the western world have gratefully adopted the "how to think" method of control. This is why the flood of damaging/dangerous information is so easily lost.

I guess I may have lost some of you on this one but I think the point is a good one and I have given some time to studying this though I am no authority on it.

Consider the mind control techniques adopted by the CIA post WWII from Nazi Germany through project "paperclip". Consider the pressure to conform within the school system that takes on obvious and not so obvious forms. Were I to argue that Darwin got it wrong, how would I be treated? If I were to argue that the Big Bang theory has serious difficulties, would I pass my exams? Were I to argue that the right to bare arms is a basic human right, would I be treated well by my teachers and class mates? Were I to argue that to legislate anything on the basis of race is a denial of the oneness of humanity, how would I be treated?

For some places we would not be alienated by such questions or arguments, but the general rule seems clear to me. Many of you will know that these issues and many others to are not open for discussion or inspection in many educational institutions.

Oh well, enuff ranting from me.

Regards, nodrog.
nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:00 AM   #15
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

How ironic, both of my servers went down last night as well.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #16
Rexie
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
My dedicated server (which never goes down unless I am tweaking it) - went down last night. They didn't say what caused it - only that apache failed.

What is strange now that I think about it is that the server itself will send me an email when apache fails - I got no such email. Instead, I got a personal notification from my host (which I have never gotten before).
How can you receive an email from your hosting service that Apache failed, when you have scipts in place to send you email if apache is down ?
I wonder if you looked in your apache logfiles to see what happened, I'm very curious.

I didn't notice anything, I checked some of these sites Fridaymorning 26th, around 10:00 AM GMT+1, which somehow corresponds to your time of notice.

So I missed this time window ? Or did we in Europe not suffer from this ?

Looking technically at the postings, the first thing which comes in mind is a DNS root server failure. But a selective failure makes it a 'selective' filter.

It is technically easier to do selective filtering in the DNS system than block IP level access to selective hosts, for this you will need to control a lot of routers on the Internet. But not impossible.

I urge you guys who have access to their apache logs to look into the logfiles for some clues. It should be very easy to acknowledge because if what happened is true, you should notice -no traffic- around these hours to your servers. If you do notice traffic, look for the source IP addresses and check if they come from the United States or elsewhere.

That should give you enough info to at least confirm anything what happened. I cannot find other info about this 'incident' on other websites (yet).

Check your Apachelogs ! Can the ProjectAvalon webmasters check their logs please ? If need help analyzing, drop me a PM, and I take a 'technical' look.

Last edited by Rexie; 09-27-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Rexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #17
WiNaDeYo
Avalon Senior Member

This very same thing happened to me here in north Italy off and on this past week...couldn't get a connection to much of anything. I went onto my explorer chronology list and clicked everything 'til something gave me access, although certain sites did not open up even after that.
WiNaDeYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #18
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

I too have been unable to find verification of this incident, other than what I observed myself and the fact that several folks here have confirmed that their servers went down at about this time. I believe that some of the servers were in Canada, and I'm presuming that the rest, or the majority, were here in the US. Something happened. I just don't know what.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:19 AM   #19
Edward Alexander
Avalon Senior Member

I've been having internet problems myself for a couple days now on and off. Hope they're not suddenly switching us over to that Internet 2 thing :S
Edward Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #20
Rexie
Avalon Senior Member

Well, let me wake you up...,

Large parts of the Internet, and especially the Internet BackBone, is already running in Internet II mode (or, in reality comes down to IP v6).
Certainly not possible to switch over in an instant. This takes already years.

Problem is that a lot of devices connected to the Internet will need to get reconfigured/updated to fully support this new IPv6 standard, to have this Internet II thing working. And with the current deployment rate, it will take a while.

But,.... if you really want to speed up this process, you just have to find a reason to get it implemented at lightning speed when people all around the world ask you for that.
And that can be the moment when the Internet has collapsed, and 'they' will tell you it is because there are to many people connected to the current Internet, and the new Internet (Internet II, or IPv6) will solve this problem, and is 'shaped for the future' .

Then it is not so easy to enter the Internet anonymous.....If not for a lot of people impossibe.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #21
Accipiter_Phi
Avalon Senior Member

Location: over there, to the left... no, not that left, this left!

sorry about that:
I turned 33 at 1:02 AM on Sept 26... It was just my Merkaba field activating... I forgot to ask my Merkaba not to affect electronics...
Just kidding... (beat) or am I? (cue "Outter Limits" theme song and "pan up" to reveal milky way- fade to black)
Accipiter_Phi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #22
stresswon
Avalon Senior Member

Who knows, but I help run a hip Hop Production site and we were down last night too. Hope that makes ya feel better!

PS:

Good Hip Hop too,,,notthat crap on the radio
stresswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #23
2infinityandbeyond
Avalon Senior Member

What are the possibilities of this being a 'practise run' .. you know, for when shtf.

See if they can take down all these sites at once.. seems a little odd that a bunch of conspiracy sites go down all at once.
2infinityandbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #24
Shakesbeer
Avalon Senior Member

White Crow, the same thing was happening for me too. I didn't say anything because I thought maybe it was a router or cache problem and it was late. So I just went to bed. For the hell of it I just checked this thread and when I read that, I figured I'd better speak up and say that I experienced the same thing too. Maybe the server wasn't down but particular switches where diverted or something.... either way, yeah all things "weird" where unaccessible, but yahoo & google where fine.
Shakesbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #25
Rexie
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakesbeer View Post
White Crow, the same thing was happening for me too. I didn't say anything because I thought maybe it was a router or cache problem and it was late. So I just went to bed. For the hell of it I just checked this thread and when I read that, I figured I'd better speak up and say that I experienced the same thing too. Maybe the server wasn't down but particular switches where diverted or something.... either way, yeah all things "weird" where unaccessible, but yahoo & google where fine.
That's why I asked website owners in this thread who experienced downtime to look in their Apache logfiles. Only there you can confirm what happened.

If this really happened, you should see NO TRAFFIC around these hours, or LESS THAN NORMAL. Then you have to locate the IP Addresses who did connect to the webservers to their geographical location, to find out if this was just a 'regionalized' blackout or complete.