Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Default Digestion and Health

Most folks don't realize that 80% of the energy our bodies use up is related to digestion. Think about that...everything else we do, from breathing and blood circulation, running marathons, going to war, writing novels, driving...it all comes out of the remaining 20% of our total energy store.

This is why sick animals fast. It frees up energy for the work of healing. It stands to reason that if our digestion is efficient and working properly, our health will be robust and our energy levels with be high. When the digestive system is addressed properly, very often a whole cascade of health issues will begin to resolve themselves.

For the average American with the average American diet, this is a big mountain to climb. On average, Americans carry from 5 to 50 POUNDS(!) of rotting, undigested and uneliminated fecal matter in the colon and large intestine at all times. This is the source of a huge amount of sickness and death, and adds immeasurably to the profitability of the insurance/medicine/pharmaceutical scam.

Constipation/diarrhea, leaky gut, irritable bowel syndrome, acid reflux, indigestion, ulcers and heartburn are just some of the symptoms of an out-of-balance digestive system, and all these can be repaired naturally if dealt with before the damage is too bad. There is also the matter of hiatal hernia. As many as 60% of all Americans have a hiatal hernia and don't even know it. I don't want to write a book here, so I'll put this information into several posts if there is an interest.

Everyone who can afford it should take a good multivitamin (natural food-cultured and organic); digestive enzymes; a probiotic; antioxidants; and fish oil for its omega-3. Our nutrient-depleted food makes these five pretty basic for good health. There are literally hundreds of supplements people can buy, and most people don't need most of them. In addition, the best diet consists of at least 75% raw vegetables and fruits. The close you come to this, the better you will feel. I do not necessarily believe in giving up flesh entirely, but I eat far less than a pound a month.

Since I've mentioned being poor, I should let you know that I get free samples from the nutrition companies of pretty much anything we sell. There is no way I'd have the cupboard full of minerals, aminos, enzymes, herbs etc. if I had to buy them. But I'd still have some. When I think of the expense I balance it against the fact that I have only seen a doctor once in fifteen years.

There is something to what I say...I weigh what I did in high school after losing 75 pounds years ago, I have all my teeth and my hair, and I can hike circles around most of the young people I know. I am 57 years old.

Last edited by whitecrow; 10-02-2008 at 05:07 PM.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
d3stined
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Digestion and Health

Hi

Thank you so much for the post, i have a hiatus hurnia and have had digestive problems since birth... am currently on chronic medication but am desperate to leave medicine behind...

i was wondering the name of your book or where i could get some more information ?

Thanks for the post

d3stined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Puppet
Avalon Senior Member

Howdy,

I am very interested in the information you gave above. I can't speak for everyone else here in our Avalon family, but I for one would certainly love to hear more of what you have to say.

I think a major problem with alot of us wanting to eat healthy is the fact that we can't ever really seem to find enough information on what we should be eating, when we should eat it, etc.

There is so much disinfo out there on the internet, it is hard for one to make up his/her mind on what they should be doing.

Since you are an experienced vet. on this type of thing, prehaps it would be beneficial for you to post the typical daily diet ( if you have time, your diet you follow in a weeks time ) et. What you eat, how much, etc.

I know this is a big request to ask of you, but when it comes to my health and what is beneficial to me, I am as much in the dark as alot of people are, even though I have spent countless hours researching, and keep getting conflicting answers.

But since you are 57 and healthy, I assume by logic you must be doing something right

I look foward to hearing back from you,

Puppet
Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks to both for your comments. I'd forgotten about posting this, and this morning I posted the information again on a separate thread. As far as I'm concerned the information is important enough to warrant the emphasis, but the moderators may wish to do something about it. That's ok, my bad.

I posted more about nutrition at the other thread. Good digestion is the basis of health and the bringer of illness. While pathogens can enter the body through a number of sources, the truth is that most of us are exposed to all kinds of stuff constantly. Our immune systems effortlessly battle most of them to a halt, and that ability is built on digestion.

Everyone is different. Part of your ideal diet depends on your blood type. Part depends on genetics. Every body has both strengths and weaknesses. You must learn them both. In general, the ideal human diet is pretty much what you'd expect for a large primate: large amounts of raw vegetables, fruits, roots, some fish, nuts, a little meat. No dairy, or very little. No processed foods of any kind.

Everyone is different. Some people not only tolerate large amounts of meat but seem to thrive on it. In general, flesh is toxic in the system, is hard to digest, and triggers inflammatory responses such as gout. Animal fat in the form of grease and oil should be avoided or minimized. Animal products put a demand on the pancreas and the adrenals. It takes large amounts of protease and lipase to metabolize the proteins and lipids (fats) in meat.

Some people cannot process lactose at all. The caseins and sugars in milk products give them serious indigestion. This is largely related to one's racial heritage: northern Europeans and east Africans have a heritage of herding, and have depended on milk and milk products for thousands of years. Other peoples have depended on vegetable fats, and have not evolved the natural processes for digesting milk. One can of course take lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose. Better to minimize or even eliminate dairy from the diet, in accordance with your individual needs.

It's extremely difficult to maintain robust health on a vegan diet. We need some of the animal enzymes and proteins that are found in meat. We could learn from the great apes. The gorilla's diet is overwhelmingly vegetarian, but they enjoy eating birds, eggs and small animals from time to time. They consume the flesh raw of course, along with the bones and glandular tissues. Thus they are supplied with the small amounts of animal proteins and enzymes needed. Gorillas do not get diabetes.

You asked about my book - I'm flattered. I am neither a nutritionist nor a trained herbalist. My medical background consists of the fact that I was a medic in the Army in the 1970s. I'm a furniture repairman by trade, a salvage guy and a restorer of antiques. That said, I was brought up on lots of natural remedies, and I've been seriously paying attention for about 20 years now, especially since my heart attack in 1993. But there is no book, not unless I'm writing it now. I don't know that I'm disciplined enough to produce a book and go through the process of finding a publisher. It's enough to impart what I've learned to as many people as I can.

"But you could make some money." Good point. I need some.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote