Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Economy and Currency

Notices

Old 11-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #26
KassandraLoves
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Anyone else out of work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman62 View Post
How's the Harley business?
We are doing better than any other motorcycle manufacturer here in the US at the moment....But we are still down in the dumps of course....Its been really really tough. Ive been working for the compnay for about 4.5 years now and its the worst I have ever seen it. Vehicle dealerships (cars, bikes, whatever) are closing down EVERYWHERE. The vehicle market is getting hit really bad....which is why the Gov. is being asked to "bail them out" too....

Not only the sales in general have been affected, but the financials, too. I have watched the interest rates/term/etc fluctuate like a mofo...its insane. Ive never seen financing change so quickly in so little time, and like I said, ive been doing it for long enough to notice the trends....I work with the banks every single day and its uber hard on everybody right now. They are super stringent now, too, on who the heck they will finance. Down to the very last detail. I mean, thats a good thing, but then again it isnt for those who need to get financed to work on thier credit anyway....The credit game has surely changed A TON with all this stuff going on...

But Harley-Davidson is a smart company, theyve been through a lot and are very particular about what they do/dont let happen. They definitely have been making some intelligent decisions to ride this wave. Its actually kind of cool to see a company that really cares about its product (Harleys are a way of life for so many people its nuts!) instead of just the sale. They really do want to preserve the "american" product and the name, so it aint just about sell, sell, sell so much as opposed to other manufacturers out there..

The bailout thing tough is so stupid.

It means my paycheck if we survive or not, but I still say give the money to the dang people. No more corporate welfare. I can find a new job, srsly.
KassandraLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #27
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Wow good respose KassandraLoves, I'm almost ashamed that I bought Yamaha, but the price was right so I bought! I'm glad that Harley actually cares, that means something for sure! But with every Harley comes a new tool kit right!?, HaHa, just kidding, I tell my brother the same s....t
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #28
Evolution22
Avalon Senior Member

I ve been out of work sence sept. 10th!!!
Evolution22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #29
Swanny
I dont need a label !

I have a job to finish on monday then thats it for me
Usually a bad time for me at the end of the year and begining of the new but this year looks even worst it's only november

Going to have to look for a job
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #30
Rareheart
Avalon Senior Member

I'm probably one a very few who have actually gained work since the economic down-turn. I am a master automotive technician (read: grease monkey). It seems that people are waking up to the idea that instead of buying a new car, they would be better advised to repair their old clunker...plop down a couple grand for a new engine or transmission, and go right on driving, rather than face the idea of making payments on a vehicle that is only going to depreciate.

Older cars are more appealing in many ways...you can have minimum insurance, obviously there are no monthly payments...etc.
Smaller cars are now taking the place of the massive gas hogs that have been the "in" thing lately. People are spending more money on their old beaters, and it has kept me busier than normal.

I live in a place with no mass transit available...not one bus stop in the entire town. People around here require a vehicle...it's not a luxury anymore.
Not all of the repair facilities in this area are booming though...most have slowed down. The economy has sort of separated the wheat from the chaff, those with less skill and honesty have suffered.
Rareheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #31
Pomguymguy
Avalon Senior Member

Kylie is not complaining ! $1.3 Million for a few songs!

There was no evidence of the global financial crisis as tycoons and celebrities streamed into Dubai last night for the world’s most expensive private party.

Having spent £1 billion, the owners of the Atlantis hotel, which they hope will become the new symbol of excess in a region already replete with towering statements of wealth, splashed out £13.5 million on its opening.

In the lobby of the Atlantis about 2,000 guests sipped Dom Pérignon. Outside, A-list celebrities from Robert De Niro to Lindsay Lohan walked the red carpet. After the pop singer Kylie Minogue performed on stage the sky lit up with the world’s largest fireworks display, seven times greater than this year’s Olympic Games opening ceremony in Beijing and extravagant enough to be seen from outer space.

The price tag for the party even embarrassed Sol Kerzner, the chairman and chief executive officer of Kerzner International, who built the resort on the man-made Palm Island in partnership with Nakheel, a state-owned developer. “If I had to do it all over again, I might do it recognising the fact that we’re living through a bit of a tough economic environment,” Mr Kerzner, a South African billionaire, told The Times.

The maddest hotel in Dubai
Dubai is good at extravagance, but this one really takes the gold-plated biscuit: a mega-resort based on the Lost City of Atlantis

Related Links

The timing for Mr Kerzner’s imposing hotel is not ideal. The emirate is groaning under heavy debt and banks have tightened lending, delaying new developments. Gulf stock markets have sunk to historic lows and analysts are radically scaling back economic forecasts for the region.

Since it opened its doors to paying guests six weeks ago, the hotel has been nearly 80 per cent full, Mr Kerzner said. Nightly rates range in price from $800 (£550) for a basic suite to $35,000 per night for the hotel’s signature suite, which features floor to ceiling views of Dubai. The 1,539-room hotel has two towers set in 130-acre grounds that feature an aquarium with 65,000 sea creatures.

High life

$35,000: cost of one night in the Bridge Suite

58,000 km of steel bars were used in the hotel’s construction, more than nine times the length of the Great Wall of China

46 hectares: the size of the Atlantis resort, equal to 64 Wembley pitches.

This is the oil revenue at work !

Guess it beats a wet weekend at Butlins...
Pomguymguy is offline   Reply With Quote