Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > Australia and New Zealand

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
Nighthawk
Avalon Senior Member

Default Suncreen nanoparticles 'might be toxic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by By BRIDIE SMITH - The Age
http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/34379...might-be-toxic

Nanoparticles used to make some sunscreens transparent, making them popular with consumers, might also be toxic according to Australian research which adds to uncertainty about the safety of some sunscreens.

A study by Amanda Barnard, from the CSIRO's materials science and engineering division, found the nanoparticles that provided the best transparency and sun protection also represented the highest for production of free radicals.

Using computer modelling, Dr Barnard analysed the properties of the man-made titanium dioxide nanoparticles found in some sunscreens, testing them in three areas: sun protection, transparency and potential for free radical production.

Studying various sizes of particles, she found it was a case of the smaller the nanoparticle the better the sun protection and transparency.
"Unfortunately the small ones also have a high surface-to-volume ratio and the surfaces are where the free radicals are produced through a photochemical, or light induced reaction," she said.

Dr Barnard won the 2009 Malcolm McIntosh Prize for physical scientist of the year for her work on nanoparticles — tiny particles used in many products including sunscreens, cosmetics and paints.

Her latest research, published next month in the journal Nature Nanotechnology, found only particles less than 13 nanometres in size minimised free radical production while retaining other desirable properties.

The titanium dioxide nanoparticles in sunscreens range in size from three to 200 nanometres.

The results add to questions about the safety of such sunscreens. The main concern is whether the nanoparticles interact with sunlight to produce free radicals that damage tissues or DNA. "There's a trade-off to be made here," she said. "Currently it's a situation of 'is it better to protect yourself from UV rays or hold off and see what happens'. But in the future it may be 'is it better to protect yourself from UV rays or protect ourself from something else'," she said.

However Dr Barnard stressed that it was still unclear if nanoparticles found in sunscreen penetrated the skin — and if they did, what happened once they entered the corrosive environment of the human body.

"We don't want to discourage people from doing something that could save them from skin cancer on the off chance that something may be found in sunscreens," she said.

A spokeswoman for the Therapeutic Goods Administration said the study raised some interesting ideas, however "the findings are predicated on a number of assumptions that do not necessarily reflect real life situations or actual product formulations".

According to the TGA's website, current evidence suggests titanium dioxide nanoparticles in sunscreens are not a risk because they remain on the surface of the skin.

Similarly, the Cancer Council Australia website states nanoparticles used in sunscreens do not pose a risk. "However ... welcome any new research that sheds more light on this topic."
Part of their culling plan maybe?
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Suncreen nanoparticles 'might be toxic'

Thank you, it is awfull! whatever next...

Back to the EV coconut oil and sun hat then

Love
Stardustaquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
feardia
Avalon Senior Member

feardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Swanny
I dont need a label !

I don't wear sunscreen anyway
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
Shadowstalker
Avalon Senior Member

I never did like to put on anything that was not natural, my skin always feels like it is suffocating
Shadowstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
martine
Avalon Senior Member

my apologies - i have not read the rest but...............this information has been out there for years, finally mainstream is catching up but this is always the way.
martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

I had a freind who loved sun tanning. She always put on lots of sunscreen.

She passed away last June from melanoma. Wouldn't that be sickening to think the very protection she was purchasing was actually what made her sick.
micjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
HORIZONS
Avalon Senior Member

Growing up in sunny So-Cal I loved being out in the sun, but burn very easy. Sun tan lotion back in those days didn't do much for that as it was mostly oil's. Nowadays we have SPF screens and they are poisons to the skin. Your skin is the largest body organ you have, and you assimilate through your skin just like any other organ would. In fact your skin absorbs more of the substance you put on it than if you were to ingest it.
After detoxing the body and eating a healthy diet I find that I can be out in the sun without sunscreen and even though I may burn, the effects are not the same--the burn heals much faster. I start sun bathing this time of year on sunny days for 20-30 min each side and by summer I can be out in the sun for hours without burning, and I feel great (vit. D3). Sunscreen is not needed if you detox the skin along with the body. The best thing is to use food grade coconut oil and coco butter mixed up. I blend several organic oils and bees wax to make my oil for sun bathing. The sun is good for you - IF you are not toxic.
"If we were flowers we would worship the sun."
HORIZONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORIZONS View Post
Growing up in sunny So-Cal I loved being out in the sun, but burn very easy. Sun tan lotion back in those days didn't do much for that as it was mostly oil's. Nowadays we have SPF screens and they are poisons to the skin. Your skin is the largest body organ you have, and you assimilate through your skin just like any other organ would. In fact your skin absorbs more of the substance you put on it than if you were to ingest it.
After detoxing the body and eating a healthy diet I find that I can be out in the sun without sunscreen and even though I may burn, the effects are not the same--the burn heals much faster. I start sun bathing this time of year on sunny days for 20-30 min each side and by summer I can be out in the sun for hours without burning, and I feel great (vit. D3). Sunscreen is not needed if you detox the skin along with the body. The best thing is to use food grade coconut oil and coco butter mixed up. I blend several organic oils and bees wax to make my oil for sun bathing. The sun is good for you - IF you are not toxic.

I agree that the sun is good for us. The animals know this. Up north here in Canada in the winter, I watch my dog and cat on sunny days. They are laying on the floor in a room where the sun comes through the window, just lapping up the rays. hehe

Quote:
"If we were flowers we would worship the sun"
I guess the pagans and egyptians were probably flowers then!

They like to worship the sun also.
micjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
swordsmith
Unsubscribed

I just wish we SAW the sun.
Interesteing that some new research shows flourescent lighting causes skin cancer, I know I am allergic to it, and many skin cancers are on parts of the body not exposed to sun. Many think skin cancers are radiation damage,depleted utranium etc all over the damn place now. Never did like sun cream .
swordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
Jonathon
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORIZONS View Post
Sunscreen is not needed if you detox the skin along with the body. The best thing is to use food grade coconut oil and coco butter mixed up. I blend several organic oils and bees wax to make my oil for sun bathing. The sun is good for you - IF you are not toxic.
"If we were flowers we would worship the sun."
Hey Horizons - can you give more specific information of the concoction you make for sun bathing? I'm highly interested in using it myself and having something safe for my children.

Many thanks!
Jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
FIIISH
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
Hey Horizons - can you give more specific information of the concoction you make for sun bathing? I'm highly interested in using it myself and having something safe for my children.

Many thanks!
Yes, please!

Here is another article that supports this viewpoint:

The sunscreen myth: How sunscreen products actually promote cancer

http://www.naturalnews.com/021903.html
FIIISH is offline   Reply With Quote