Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Economy and Currency

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Question Could Geithner Face Criminal Charges over AIG Coverup?

Could Geithner Face Criminal Charges over AIG Coverup?

1/7/10 Judge Napolitano

Judge Andrew Napolitano weighs in on whether the treasury secretary can face criminal charges over his role in the AIG coverup.

VIDEO (4:31): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haHYG...ayer_embedded#

Geithner’s New York Fed Told AIG to Limit Swaps Disclosure

Hugh Son – Thu Jan 7, 6:00 am ET

Jan. 7 (Bloomberg) -- The Federal Reserve Bank of New York, then led by Timothy Geithner, told American International Group Inc. to withhold details from the public about the bailed-out insurer’s payments to banks during the depths of the financial crisis, e-mails between the company and its regulator show.

AIG said in a draft of a regulatory filing that the insurer paid banks, which included Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Societe Generale SA, 100 cents on the dollar for credit-default swaps they bought from the firm. The New York Fed crossed out the reference, according to the e-mails, and AIG excluded the language when the filing was made public on Dec. 24, 2008. The e-mails were obtained by Representative Darrell Issa, ranking member of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Continues: http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20...g/axivw4igkv38
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Could Geithner Face Criminal Charges over AIG Coverup?

Aig And Geithner: More Lies?

Saturday, January 9. 2010
Posted by Karl Denninger

In a letter to Darrell Issa and Edolphus Towns the NY Fed's General Counsel asserted: NY Fed Lawyer Says AIG ‘Didn’t Warrant’ Geithner Attention http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...GHcCSKWo&pos=4
“Matters relating to AIG securities law disclosures were not brought to the attention of Mr. Geithner,” Thomas Baxter, general counsel of the New York Fed, said yesterday in a letter to Representative Darrell Issa, a California Republican, and Edolphus Towns, Democrat of New York. “In my judgment as the New York Fed’s chief legal officer, disclosure matters of this nature did not warrant the attention of the president.” Geithner, who helped orchestrate the bailout of AIG when he led the New York Fed, is now Treasury Department secretary.
Oh really?

Financial statements and exhibits - "disclosure matters of this nature" I'd think - don't merit Geithner's attention?

An article over on Seeking Alpha makes the following assertion via documentary evidence:

SEE LINK BELOW
"Note that there should be no discussion or suggestion that AIG and the NY Fed are asking to structure anything else at this point."
The assertion is made that this is Geithner's own handwriting. NY Fed Officials say he was not involved.

Well, that deserves investigation.

Who's handwriting is on this page?

If it's Geithner's, he's cooked.

Photo of Page and Continues: http://market-ticker.denninger.net/a...More-Lies.html

Will Geithner loose his seat in the Musical Chairs Game?

The Finger Pointing Continues (GS & AIG)

Saturday, January 9. 2010
Posted by Karl Denninger in Corruption at 13:20

It just never ends, does it?
Jan. 9 (Bloomberg) -- Hank Greenberg, former chief executive officer at American International Group Inc., said Goldman Sachs Group Inc. is responsible for the collapse of the insurer during the economic crisis, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Oh really?

A Goldman spokesman disagrees:
“Mr. Greenberg appears to base his views on news reports rather than facts,” Lucas van Praag, a Goldman spokesman, said in an e-mail to Bloomberg News. “It is interesting that he doesn’t mention the devastating conclusions about AIG reached by the company’s own auditors.”
Well now that's interesting.

How about this: They're both right.

Let's go back to the basic mathematics of lending again, shall we?

Continues: http://market-ticker.denninger.net/a...es-GS-AIG.html

Last edited by peaceandlove; 01-09-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Geithner Must Go

Monday, January 11. 2010
Posted by Karl Denninger

I couldn't say it better myself.....

"THE GREATEST THEFT IN US HISTORY"

VIDEO MSNBC (13:22): http://market-ticker.denninger.net/a...r-Must-Go.html
Old 01-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

I hope and pray the whole stinking cabal goes down...would love to see all of them in jail for a very, very long time. Actually I read that some of these people can be tried for treason...isn't the punishment for treason execution?
AscendingStarseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

The prospect of this happening has given me hope.
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

"Is Bernanke Hiding A Smoking Gun?"

Posted by Matt Hawes on 01/26/10 7:00 PM

The Huffington Post's Ryan Grim reports on concerns that critical information about the Federal Reserve's actions in bailing out AIG is being withheld during Bernanke's confirmation process.

Quote:
A Republican senator said Tuesday that documents showing Federal Reserve Board Chairman Ben Bernake covered up the fact that his staff recommended he not bailout AIG are being kept from the public. And a House Republican charged that a whistleblower had alerted Congress to specific documents provide "troubling details" of Bernanke's role in the AIG bailout.

Sen. Jim Bunning (R-Ky.), a Bernanke critic, said on CNBC that he has seen documents showing that Bernanke overruled such a recommendation. If that's the case, it raises questions about whether bailing out AIG was actually necessary, and what Bernanke's motives were....
Read the rest: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_437509.html

And keep those calls to the Senate going! http://www.campaignforliberty.com/congress.php So many people are already shocked that Bernanke's confirmation has been as much of a fight as it's turned into. Let's turn up the pressure!

SOURCE: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=31845

Oh, So The Fed *DID* Hide Documents?

Tuesday, January 26. 2010
Posted by Karl Denninger

From the wire: http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-mar...investigations
WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- The special inspector general for the government's $ 700 billion Wall Street rescue plan is opening a pair of probes into the government's rescue of American International Group Inc. (AIG), including efforts to slow public disclosure of all of the terms of the deal.

Additionally, Barofsky said he is reviewing the cooperation of the Federal Reserve with his staff's attempt to conduct an audit of the AIG transactions. Some of the documents recently turned over to the Oversight panel "were not provided to the SIGTARP audit team during the course of the audit."
This is all anyone should need to call for The Fed to be fully audited now and on an ongoing, permanent, annual basis, along with seeing if there is a criminal charge we can locate that fits this (obstruction perhaps?)

Darrell Issa seems to have this one right: http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-mar...s-of-democracy
The report, prepared by staff for Rep. Darrell Issa (R., Calif.), calls the central bank a "quasi-governmental agency, unaccountable to the American people." The Fed's actions during the AIG rescue, including the effort to withhold the names of the insurer's counterparties, "demonstrates the threat that the Federal Reserve poses to basic principles of American democracy," the report concludes.
Let's not forget who was running the NY Fed at the time, and what job he holds now.

Oh Timmy? TURBOTAX TIMMY!

Yeah you.

I look forward to seeing you in the dock and while you're in there let's toss Bernanke in with you - I don't believe for a second that he wasn't both aware of and signed off on what you were up to there in New York.

FEDGATE!

SOURCE: http://market-ticker.denninger.net/a...Documents.html
Old 01-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

How does this even matter? They are just making a sacrifice of one of their own and endeavoring to keep their whole stinkin' system still in tact.

--sjkted
sjkted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Blessings skjted,

I understand your cynicism and I've been there before, although now I choose to believe the people who are waking up can make a difference and knowing what cr4p is happening gives those, who choose, the opportunity to focus on a real recovery and overcoming those that believe they are in control. I agree with Seashore's thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seashore View Post
The prospect of this happening has given me hope.
PaL

From: G. Edward Griffin http://www.realityzone.com/currentperiod.html

Quote:
US: Geithner supports Bernanke's re-appointment to the Fed, as does Obama and the editors at AP. Actually, it makes little difference, because his replacement would come from the same banking cartel and continue the same policies. As long as the Fed exists, there can be no fiscal soundness.
CBS News 2010 Jan 25 (Cached)
SO BACK TO RON PAUL AND "END THE FED"

January 25, 2010 12:13 PM

Geithner: Rejecting Bernanke Would Have "Very Troubling" Consequences

Posted by Kevin Hechtkopf
CBS News

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner is warning that a Senate rejection of Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke's nomination for a second term would lead to "very troubling" reaction from the financial markets.

Continues: http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01...y6139243.shtml
Old 01-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Fredkc
Project Avalon Member

Quote:
Could Geithner Face Criminal Charges over AIG Coverup?
Since Paulson, Reich, Bernanke, Wolfowitz, Perle, Bush, Obama, Rumsfeld, Cheny, Greenspan, and several hundred others, all guilty of crimes against humanity, and the American people too , are all still sippin' cold drinks somewhere and laughing...

I'd have to say no.

You cannot expect criminals to prosecute criminals for doing the same things they did, and are doing this very moment.

Member...
crazy does not mean stupid.

Fred (who should outa know)

Evil cannot be killed. Only redeemed.

Chat us up at: Avalon Chat
Fredkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceandlove View Post
Blessings skjted,

I understand your cynicism and I've been there before, although now I choose to believe the people who are waking up can make a difference and knowing what cr4p is happening gives those, who choose, the opportunity to focus on a real recovery and overcoming those that believe they are in control. I agree with Seashore's thought!
I have hope too and am looking forward to a positive solution, but perhaps not in the way you may think. One thing I see is that many people will focus on one aspect of the current system such as Geithner or Bernake and think that it can be reformed. The problem is the Federal Reserve system and fiat currency. So long as congress has a credit card with no limit and us taxpayers to foot the bill, they will keep spending our money and propagating the belief that they really can save us from ourselves or Al Qaeda or the financial collapse or whatever it is that we need saving from.

When you look at the bigger picture outside of the US, our little game here doesn't really matter any more. Our biggest export is derivatives. We don't provide any major export of value any more.

The rest of the countries are catching on and deleveraging from their dollar position, which is forcing the dollar to be dumped as the dollar reserve currency.

No matter how you look at it, with the excessive debt we have and the decoupling of the dollar from future investment, we are having a currency collapse. Look at where Iceland is right now. They are where we will be in 2-3 years.

The system must collapse because it won't be able to stand under its own weight any more. When, where, and how I don't know. But, I do know that every single facet of it is 100% unsustainable and merely pointing the finger at some figure like Geithner may look good for the press, but will do nothing to reform the system.

When it fails, if there are enough people who are awakened, it will be replaced by a better, more equitable system. This is where my focus is going.

If you'd like to see the play-by-play, take a look at www.zerohedge.com. These people are industry insiders and they know what is going on. On this forum, you will see what everyone in international finance is thinking privately, but will never say publicly.

--sjkted
sjkted is offline   Reply With Quote