Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Spirituality

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #176
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The ego what is it? How to transcend?

Anything that is transient and of form is not who we truly are.
We are formless, manifest into form for the brief period of this assumed identity.

We are not the ego because it is changing its point of view all the time, however we are responsible for what it does, so to speak.

Its not an enemy just self centered.

We are all born into this life with one, it comes with the body and if we do not wish to return here and wish to move on then we need to transcend it, wish it well and surrender it to our creator.

We will not have a harmonous peacful world whilst we are ego driven.

The ego is materialistic and uses force where ever necessary to get what it wants, Self is Power and dosent need to.
Gravity dosent make the apple fall its just a natural consequence of its power.

Gandi freed India from the British without force.
The book "Power versus Force" by Dr David Hawkins is an eye opener an Aha!!! moment

All wars ( and they have been going since forever it seems) have been fought from the egoic point of I want. This will continue unless enough people have a raised spiritual energy.

One definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting different results.
We need to begin to act different to be different, to get a different world, or it will be the same old story. ie self destruct.

Disagreement tends to come from. " Im right therefore your wrong"
Its ok for people to have different points of view, I dont mind people disagreeing with me, Id prefer they are not disagreeable, which is a different ball game alltogether.
We can live in harmony with our differences, can we not?

I may well be wrong but I see spiritual evolution as a process.

A person may come from apathy into anger, that is a step forward, pride may follow. There may develope an interest in self improvment and genuine pride of achievement, positive thinking books may be read, there is a realisation that sucess is only possible with the assistance of others, spiritual search may start.
Bravery may conquer fear, eventually there is the realisation that bravery and fear are largly emotions-- points of perception, then they come progessivly redundant as they are seen as duality and realy meaningless, an arbitary viewpoint. One mans ceiling another mans floor. ie they mean different things to different people. A lion tamer might be ok with lions and frightened of mice.

There is the realisation that breathing happens by it self and many other things too, so one just does things without the need for self esteem, doing is a natural function,

The ego can make the simplest things into a big deal, look at me Im special stuff, look at what I did.
The ego restricts, sets limits where there are none.
The ego is just the buying into,identifying with the "Me story in our head" all the I am this I am that, I believe this I believe that.

All belief systems and constructs change over time, what we truly are is constant and unchanging, the presence within our mortal coil.
Eventually we evolve to the point where we realise that we are the indweller, the presence within, pure awareness.

All that said one has to go through the process starting where they are at.
Be kind to all life including your own

Rgards Chris
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #177
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
I may well be wrong but I see spiritual evolution as a process.

Rgards Chris
Yes indeed Chris .. I believe the following sheds light on this evolutionary process:

Consciousness evolving: infant stage, maturity, old age

If we look at the development of soul consciousness after it is born as an individual unit, it roughly goes through three inner stages. These stages are there independent of the particular plane of reality (planet, dimension, star system) that consciousness chooses to inhabit or experience.

1) The stage of innocence (paradise)

After souls are born as individual units of consciousness, they leave the oceanic state of oneness which they remember as blissful and totally safe. They then go on to explore reality in a whole new way. They slowly grow more aware of themselves and the way in which they are unique in comparison with their fellow travelers.
They are very receptive and sensitive at this stage, like a young child who looks at the world with wide open eyes, expressing curiosity and innocence.

This stage may be called paradisiacal, since the experience of oneness and safety is still fresh in the memory of the newborn souls. They are still close to home

2) The stage of ego

As their journey continues, the memory of home fades while they immerse themselves in different types of experiences. Everything is new in the beginning and everything is uncritically absorbed at the infant stage. A new stage sets in when the young soul starts to experience itself as the focal point of its world. It then truly starts to realize that there is such a thing as “me” and “other.” It starts to experiment with how it can influence its environments by acting upon this realization. The very notion of doing something that stems from your own consciousness is new. Before there was a more or less passive taking in of what flows by. Now there is a growing sense within the soul of its power to exert influence on what it experiences.

This is the start of the ego stage.

The ego originally represents the ability to use your will to affect the outer world. Please note that the original function of the ego is simply that which enables the soul to experience itself fully as a separate entity. This is a natural and positive development within the evolution of the soul. The ego is not “bad” in and of itself. It does however tend to be expansive or aggressive. When the newborn soul discovers its ability to influence its environment, it falls in love with the ego. Deep down, there still is a painful memory within the now maturing soul; it remembers home, it remembers paradise lost. The ego seems to hold an answer to this pain, this homesickness. It seems to enable the soul to actively get a grip on reality. It intoxicates the still young soul with the illusion of power.

The ego stage is an unrestricted exploration of the area of power: of winning, losing, struggling, dominating, manipulating, of being the offender and being the victim.

Power is the energy that most opposes oneness. By exerting power, you isolate yourself from “the other.”

3) The stage of “second innocence” (enlightenment)

We distinguished a third stage in the development of soul consciousness above: the stage of enlightenment, “second innocence” or old age.
The soul enter a transformation phase which we will describe by distinguishing the following steps:

1.Being unsatisfied by what ego based consciousness has to offer you, longing for “something else:” the beginning of the end.

2.Becoming aware of your ties to ego based consciousness, recognizing and releasing the emotions and thoughts that go with it: the middle of the end.

3.Letting the old ego based energies inside you die, throwing off the cocoon, becoming your new self: the end of the end.

4.The awakening of a heart based consciousness within you, motivated by love and freedom; helping others making the transition.

These four steps mark the transition from ego based to heart based consciousness.

One may compare these stages metaphorically with infancy, maturity and old age.

The stage of ego based consciousness is a natural stage in the journey of the soul. Actually it involves the full exploration of one aspect of the soul’s being: the will. Your will constitutes the bridge between the inner and the outer world. The will is that part of you that focuses your soul’s energy into the material world. The will may be inspired by the desire for power or by the desire for oneness. This depends on the state of your inner awareness. When a soul reaches the end of the ego stage, the will becomes more and more an extension of the heart. The ego or the personal will is not destroyed but it is flowing in accordance with the heart’s wisdom and inspiration. At this point the ego joyfully accepts the heart as its spiritual guide. The natural wholeness of the soul is restored.

Taken from Lightworker II
http://www.jeshua.net/

Love Always
mudra

Last edited by mudra; 12-27-2009 at 01:29 AM.
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #178
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Mudra
a very valuable addition to the thread.
Kindness to all life including our own is all that is neceesary.
Chris
Old 12-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #179
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Human beings are an evolutionary species, so whats next?
The ego is being transcended in my view and we are moving into a new species which Dr David Hawkins calls "Homospiritus"
Is this so?
Well we will just have to wait and see -- smiling.
Chris
Old 12-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #180
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

In completely realizing we are in essence the soul, the divine Light within we start to live and see from the Heart .And as we do I feel many words will completely disappear from our vocabulary .
We will talk less and feel more . The universe will be filled by a Loving presence creating a symphony of hearts encompassing all that is.
I feel Love unconditional is the next step in our evolutionary process.
Our perception of time itself will change as living by the soul presence is living in the Now .

Love Always
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #181
kriya
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudra View Post
In completely realizing we are in essence the soul, the divine Light within we start to live and see from the Heart .And as we do I feel many words will completely disappear from our vocabulary .
We will talk less and feel more . The universe will be filled by a Loving presence creating a symphony of hearts encompassing all that is.
I feel Love unconditional is the next step in our evolutionary process.
Our perception of time itself will change as living by the soul presence is living in the Now .

Love Always
mudra

Yes I believe this to be true. In order to evolve, although this is a misnomer, and is in fact an act of rememberance, we must encompass unconditional love and oneness, which is the opposite of ego, as it see's itself as seperate (eg the small sense of self).

Love,

Kriya
kriya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #182
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriya View Post
Yes I believe this to be true. In order to evolve, although this is a misnomer, and is in fact an act of rememberance, we must encompass unconditional love and oneness, which is the opposite of ego, as it see's itself as seperate (eg the small sense of self).

Love,

Kriya
Thanks to the two of you.
Its a strange fact we are evolving to be what we are all-ready.
--No wonder people get confused with conversation on the spiritual.
No mind--- never mind.
Smiling.
Chris
Old 12-29-2009, 02:10 AM   #183
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Here is my starter for you - one way of many of looking at it. The ego is from the part of my mind that thinks "I", typically it only exists while the clock is ticking.

Transcending it requires the removal of the clock ticking - no past, no future, no ego, just the moment.

That indicates to me. Also when I get into a serene undulating mode ego disappears.

"I am special" is ego. "I am special like everyone else" is not ego.

Gnosis
Gnosis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #184
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Something to be aware of is that as enlightenment approaches there will be a final temptation and many others before the final door is reached.
In the case of Dr David Hawkins it was along the lines of. " Now that you are beyond personal karma all power is yours own it" He describes this as Luciferic temptation.
At this point he says yes you are beyond personal karma but not cosmic karma.
Jesus was also tempted in a similar way.
Hawkins found this temptation relatively easy to resist.
Power who needs it, who wants the responsibility, was his response.

We are not co-creators with God ,co is tandem with and implies duality.
We have as a divine part of God the seed of creation, to be clear God creates through us.
We have unique God given potential and can create through that but within the confines only of that potential, moment to moment.

The trouble with giving a small part of information is that context is lost so that it it loses value and leads to misunderstanding.

A corner torn of a Rembrandt painting is not the painting.

I can only point to the teaching of Dr David Hawkins or other enlightened beings.

My ego is still work in progress.

Chris
Old 12-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #185
synaxis
Project Avalon Member

Hi - I'm new to this thread - great topic.

I've read the previous posts and very much agree with 14 Chakras view re: the ego being the illusion of a separate self. As to what causes the sense of separateness, I see this arising (perhaps inevitably to some extent) from the identification of consciousness with the body - since people's bodies are in fact separate and distinct.

It's interesting to consider how this illusion of separateness get created and maintained. It seems that consciousness gets 'localized' in associating with a particular body and then this localization gets entrained and the sense of separateness becomes habitual. Such entrained localization would also tend to obscure an awareness of the inherent unboundedness of consciousness.

Considering the ego (illusion of a separate self) in this way, the question of how to transcend the ego would be framed as how to release consciousness from its entrained identification with a particular body, thereby allowing it to realize its inherent unboundedness.

What would the experience of such release be like? There have been several references to the guru/disciple relationship and encounters with realized people (David Hawkins, Eckhart Tolle). One of my favourite accounts is posted at the website of Thomas Ashley-Farrand - a western Vedic priest who teaches mantra meditation.

In his book, True Stories of Spiritual Power (2001), Thomas describes a remarkable encounter, which occurred around 1975 when he was 35. He had been meditating for about two years at the time. He was doing temp work for a consulting firm and was assigned to the U.S. Dept of Labor in Washington DC to help them reconcile their property book.

Shortly after arriving, he found himself among the whitest of white hats - a mutually-telepathic group of employees who proceeded to disclose that they knew his every thought and feeling. They also had remarkable healing powers. In fact, the purpose of the encounter seems to have been to clear certain blockages from his nervous system (and restructure his worldview!). Although he had been hired for two weeks, he was told at the end of the first week that the assignment was complete and he never saw them again.

The account is similar to the meeting between Jesus and the Samaritan woman at Jacob's well (John 4) where Jesus disclosed to the woman that he knew her marital history (she went back to her town and said "Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did" Jn 4:29).

In Thomas's case, the entrainment would be to a transcendent communalization that would indeed definitively dispel the illusion of a separate self. I am familiar with Thomas's work, have spoken with him, and believe this account is credible.

"Very Civil Servants" - http://www.sanskritmantra.com/laser.htm

Old 12-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #186
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you Synaxis.
It is as you say in part down to identification with the body.
The story you tell is very interesting.
Its all levels of understanding linked to spiritual vibration.
Its a bit like children in school are first taught the alphabet then words then sentences.
Higher english, geometry, algebra would be meaningless at that time.
Ultimate truth ---- Only God is.
Try telling that to an egoic consciousness.

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #187
14 Chakras
Avalon Senior Member

I suggest, that the key in overcoming ego, is NEVER being there. There is always More, infinitely More. We can get to a certain stage, and think we are there, write books, good books, teach help, but are we really there?

No. We're never there. There is always More. Often we teach from our current level of consciousness, which may in fact be more enlightened than the average, but as soon as we are a teacher and no longer a student, we are no longer in the River of Life, we are no longer in the River of More.

The temptations never cease. The test do not stop. As long as we are in a body, we can continue to progress in consciousness and we will continuously be tested and tempted along the Way. The test and temptations surely become more subtle, but they take us higher when we pass, we Be More.

So I do suggest this does apply to those who are teaching at this time including authors named in this thread. We are all students of More even the teachers, as they are only truly teachers, if they are still students.

Last edited by 14 Chakras; 12-30-2009 at 07:02 AM.
14 Chakras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #188
14 Chakras
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
We are not co-creators with God ,co is tandem with and implies duality.
Chris, we agree on many things, but I must admit, certainly not on this point. (at least, based on my current understanding of what is being implied here).

I have this question for you, or for anyone else, if we are not co-creators then where does evil come from? Why is there suffering? Where do perverse creations come from?

Did God create them all? Curious what your take is, and again, we agree on much, just a good point for discussion my friends.

Last edited by 14 Chakras; 12-30-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #189
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 Chakras View Post
I suggest, that the key in overcoming ego, is NEVER being there. There is always More, infinitely More. We can get to a certain stage, and think we are there, write books, good books, teach help, but are we really there?

No. We're never there. There is always More. Often we teach from our current level of consciousness, which may in fact be more enlightened than the average, but as soon as we are a teacher and no longer a student, we are no longer in the River of Life, we are no longer in the River of More.

The temptations never cease. The test do not stop. As long as we are in a body, we can continue to progress in consciousness and we will continuously be tested and tempted along the Way. The test and temptations surely become more subtle, but they take us higher when we pass, we Be More.

So I do suggest this does apply to those who are teaching at this time including authors named in this thread. We are all students of More even the teachers, as they are only truly teachers, if they are still students.
we must never forget ... the student that we are ...
the ego ... desires us only as teachers ... but we are greater than that ...
the greater ... is the student ... the observer ...

within our adult physicality ... and our adult mentality ... we should never forget the child within us ... for it is the child ... whom transcends ego ... the child ... is open hearted and allows for ... continued learning ...

at any given point ... the ego ... can try to convince us ... we have attained the peak of what there is to know ...

but no ... the student within ... never ceases to exist ... as beings of all that is ... of creation ... our light continuously grows brighter ...

we should always remember ... the purity of the child within ...
for within our inner child ... there is absence of ego ...

we
futureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #190
14 Chakras
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
In the case of Dr David Hawkins it was along the lines of. " Now that you are beyond personal karma all power is yours own it" He describes this as Luciferic temptation.
At this point he says yes you are beyond personal karma but not cosmic karma.
Jesus was also tempted in a similar way.
Hawkins found this temptation relatively easy to resist.
Power who needs it, who wants the responsibility, was his response.
I'm also going to go all controversial here and suggest that, while Hawkins I'm very confident has splendid teachings to help along the path, I'm going to suggest that the response he had to this test was indeed a failure not a pass.

Power is a Divine Flame. Creation begins with Power. Power when it is not balanced with Love and Wisdom is not Pure and results in a very unbalanced world indeed.

However, one of the biggest problems the world faces literally, is that spiritual people, those with the Love and Wisdom, refuse to take back their Power, and leave it to those who have no Wisdom or Love to run the world for them.

The Power of God is the Power of our Divine Flame within, our very own divine flame. The ego thinks that we are separate from God, therefore we have no power. This is a lie. We are an individualization of the source. Power is the Father part of our own Being. We are not separate from the Divine and the Divine is not separate from us. Only the ego wants us to believe we are powerless because only God has Power. We are individualization's of God, we are One with God, we merge with our own source, the Divine, and the Divine merges with us.

We are More.

We were commanded from day one to take dominion over our planet. ET's have now done so. Do the children of God wake up and claim their divine birthright? Or do they hide their talents in the ground not wanting the responsibility, rather letting the most egotistical and un-loving to take dominion over their world for them?

The dilemma we face...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #191
SiriArc
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb Potential Factoring

The Designed, Positive Ego/Probe/Transducer

vs.

the negative, dIsToRtEd ego:

SiriArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #192
ubiquitousquintessence
Avalon Senior Member

There is a vast difference between power as strength, and power as control.
My sense is that the type of power referred to regarding Mr. Hawkins is control.

My personal perspective is that power over anything (control/dominion) is of no interest.
If the choice is between controlling others in an effort to create a "better" world, and allowing "the most egotistical and un-loving" to take control and create a world of their liking, the "egotistical and un-loving" are free to do as they like in my book.

But why must it be us vs. them?
Must it be us vs. them?
Is there an "us" and a "them"?
ubiquitousquintessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #193
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Dear 14 Chakras
I love the way that you communicate and I have the same respect for you and all fellow travelers that you express in your posts.

The ultimate is that nothing is happening and there is no one for anything to happen to.
Idras dream.
Ramana also said " The world that you are trying to save does not even exist"

However that is not helpful at the level we are at.

I will do my best to give some context to the remarks I have made and your queries which are very valid.

I think you would have to read David Hawkins "Discovery of the presence of God/Devotional nonduality" before the posts you refer to would make sense.

I believe that Hawkins is fully enlijghtened as he states that there is only one death and at the final door the agony of death is horrendous as what we believe to be us is finaly surendered to God, then only God walks though the final door. Hawkins remembers normal death as nothing we just exit the body.
After the final death could not speak of it for 30 years -- there was no mind to describe it,
It was his karma to re energise the mind to be a teacher.
He also describes life from a non duality state and the overwhelming beauty of everything.

At the level of human consciousness we have apparent choice and we accept Gods will or reject it. What we call good or evil.
Hitler did not have to chose to go to war, there was potential for war and that is what he chose. Many who seek power for power sake are taken over by the lower astral which rejects the sovereignty of God.
Many murderers will deny that they did it particularly the ones that are particularly gruesome, and they are right they have been taken over by entities from the lower astral.
I dont even want to think about it.

If we look at this world as the university of the evolution of consciousness then it starts to make sense. we come in at different levels and attend different classes.
One can come in at the level of apathy and transcend that through becoming angry.
We can be born into a vilolent culture, full of anger and seeking revenge for 100s of years of war and transcend that by forgiving the enemy. Christ taught. Unconditional love. Forgiveness.
That is the pathway to Heaven.

Causality is a belief system of the ego, nothing is causing anything to happen. One however may be a catalyst for the potential to be realized or refused.

For example one person might be offended by these posts which have just awakened that response which can be quite different from person to person another might agree or mildly disagree. The post has not caused the response.

Much of what I have written is second had by necessity as I am not in the enlightened state so is objective rather than subjective.

From my own experience there is a potntial to manifest as I have done so but by no means have I manifested everything I wanted. that was some time ago, my needs are taken care of without be asking.
I think most people have the power to manifest but only in line with their attractor field.
We attract according to our spiritual vibration. The more love we express the more we attract. If you want change be the change you want.
We can only manifest in line with our potential which is set by our spiritual vibration and even then its not guaranteed to happen. If we could make it happen then it would.

Imagine a world where people who did not have spiritual purity had the power to create anything they desired, thats a recipe for disaster.
Best to leave creation to God who is Ultimate LOVE.

Hope this is helpful, im not an authority on anything, just relating what I believe to be so at this exact moment.
I can only point to the likes of Ramana, Nasargadatta (cant spell) Ramesh Balsakar, Dr Goels the Kundalini Guru. Eckhart Tolle, Dr David Hawkins. all teachers of Nonduality.

Chris
Namaste
Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #194
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitousquintessence View Post
There is a vast difference between power as strength, and power as control.
My sense is that the type of power referred to regarding Mr. Hawkins is control.

My personal perspective is that power over anything (control/dominion) is of no interest.
If the choice is between controlling others in an effort to create a "better" world, and allowing "the most egotistical and un-loving" to take control and create a world of their liking, the "egotistical and un-loving" are free to do as they like in my book.

But why must it be us vs. them?
Must it be us vs. them?
Is there an "us" and a "them"?
Thanks for this.
Think you would find Hawkins book "Power versus Force" interesting.
Power dosent need to do anything it just is.
Force needs energy and eventually exhausts itself.
(as defined by Hawkins)

Chris
Old 12-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #195
mu2143
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb Re: The ego what is it? How to transcend?

Michael Tsarion gives a talk at the Granada Forum in Los Angeles talking also about the ego in this video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5184878490822#
mu2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #196
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2143 View Post
Michael Tsarion gives a talk at the Granada Forum in Los Angeles talking also about the ego in this video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5184878490822#

Thanks for this
Chris
Old 12-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #197
mu2143
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: The ego what is it? How to transcend?

NP

Also explaining very interresting thing about whats going to happen around 2012.
mu2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #198
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Eckhart’s profound yet simple teachings have already helped countless people throughout the world find inner peace and greater fulfillment in their lives. At the core of the teachings lies the transformation of consciousness, a spiritual awakening that he sees as the next step in human evolution. An essential aspect of this awakening consists in transcending our ego-based state of consciousness. This is a prerequisite not only for personal happiness but also for the ending of violent conflict endemic on our planet.

I pasted this from Eckhart Tolle web site

Guess this says it all.
Chris
Old 12-31-2009, 01:48 AM   #199
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 Chakras View Post

When I was studying in France I learned the french word for teach/learn is the same word.

Gnosis
Gnosis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #200
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnosis5 View Post
When I was studying in France I learned the french word for teach/learn is the same word.

Gnosis
Thats true Gnosis. The teacher and the student are the same consciousness.

Chris