Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Default Digestion

Of all the Avalon Forums, I am finding this one, Health/Alternative Medicine, the most useful. There are well-informed people here as well as those who are seeking ways to own their own wellbeing. I can't vouch for all the remedies and cures that get posted, but I can second much of the information, especially concerning herbal remedies and nutrition.

This is a natural place to share what I have learned in the course of taking ownership of my body. I've been wanting to post some information regarding digestion.

Digestion uses 80% of the energy our bodies consume. That's eighty percent. Everything else we do comes out of the paltry two-tenths of our energy remaining after we have digested and metabolized our food.

If we're not running efficiently, then our bodies will rob energy from the main consumer - the digestive system - in order to deal with stress, attempt to heal, have sex, whatever. The result is a condition which most Americans suffer from...I call it a crapped-out digestive system, and it's the source of a great deal of suffering, sickness and death. It is also the cause of lost productivity and wages, additional burdens on the health care establishment, and drives an entire industry devoted to relieving symptoms while perpetuating the conditions that cause them.

That eighty percent, by the way, is the reason that sick animals fast. They instinctively know to conserve their energy usage so that the body can rebound and heal. Any time you are sick, drink liquids and eat a minimum of solid food.

The mouth is the beginning of our digestive woes because it's the place we put most of the poison. Our diet is poisonous to the extent that we eat processed foods with artificial ingredients. Our ideal diet is raw vegetables and fruit, with perhaps a small amount of meat, especially fish. It is a true fact that the close your diet approaches this ideal, the better you will feel physically and the better you will function mentally. It's also true that even the best diet is deficient because our food contains far less nutrition that was true fifty or sixty years ago. Therefore supplementation is advisable. This is a whole 'nuther discussion.

The stomach is the one part of the body that is intended to be acidic. It is lined with a healthy layer of mucus so that it is not injured by the secretions of hydrochloric acid that perform the initial breakdown of the stuff we put into our mouths. This breakdown is enabled by the one thing we are most lacking in a typical diet: enzymes. It is enzymes that work in the stomach to break things like steak, celery, Cheerios, cheeseburgers and beverages down into the chemical components which the body can use. Following this, the material is passed on into the intestines, where it is further digested by friendly bacteria that flourish there, and the process of absorption takes place. Wastes are filtered out, primarily through the kidneys and liver, while the remaining solid material is finally gathered in the colon until it is expelled in a bowel movement.

This is how a healthy digestive system works. Here is how a compromised digestive system works:

Garbage enters through the mouth and is passed through the esophagus to the stomach. On the way it frequently encounters a hiatal hernia where the stomach extrudes through the diaphragm, impairing the function of the pyloric valve. This results in stomach acid leaking into the lower esophagus...the usual response is to take antacids, which seriously destroy the ability of the stomach to digest food of any kind.

Anyway, once this stuff reaches the stomach, it's broken down in the usual way by a solution of hydrochloric acid. Unfortunately, most people eat a diet with almost no enzymes present (cooking destroys enzymes), and they aren't informed enough to take them...so even though the food is dissolved, it is not broken down at the molecular level into components the body can use. Then it is passed on to the intestine...

...which is sorely lacking in probiotic organisms in most people. Without these friendly bacteria, the intestines are overloaded with unusable food stuff. The walls become coated with a kind of slime that keeps the villi from functioning. This slime contains all the toxins that are in the improperly digested junk that went into the mouth an hour or so earlier. These are absorbed along with whatever nutrition the body has been able to glean from the garbage it's been eating...

...overwhelming and toxicifying the liver, pancreas, adrenals and the other glands which take the nutrients and process them into the chemicals required to run the others systems of the body.

Meanwhile, fecal material piles up in the large intestine which unable to function properly due to the system-wide breakdown (which started when junk was put into the mouth). It sits there, not digested, rotting...and yes, it is just that unpleasant, and more so. It is the source of disease and death, and the average American has POUNDS of it sitting in their gut. POUNDS. KILOS.

So what do folks do? They take a laxative, of course. This forces the action of peristalsis and hopefully ejects the material from the bowel. It also further depletes the system of desperately-needed nutrients, and may cause tearing of the rectum and injury to the colon. And the cycle continues, abetted by the medical and pharmaceutical industries because it is hugely profitable.

Can you change this? Abso. Flippin'. Lutely. Ask me how I know. I used to weigh 75-80 pounds more than I do now...on a 5'5" frame! I had a heart attack at age 42...I'm almost 60, now. It took years for the picture to become clear of exactly what I had done to correct my own health...and it all begins with digestion.

I don't care what is wrong with you. There are no magic bullets, but if you get your digestion working right, I promise that a whole cascade of other health issues will fall into place and begin to resolve themselves. Why? Because you will have freed up energy, it's that simple. You create energy when you absorb nutrition, and this is how your body rebuilds itself every day. Deny your body the tools it needs, and you will suffer. Period.

For some people this may be difficult. It does not involve a spartan diet, just a healthy one. But it involves paradigm changes, it involves the ability to learn and the will to act. These are some of the very things that are impaired in people who eat a mainstream diet.

When you eat healthy and digest well, you find that in so doing, you have stopped feeding the machine that was poisoning you. This is exactly what the mainstream media and the corporate kleptocracy don't want you to do! If you see it advertised, it is almost certainly at best garbage, at worst poison. You will have to learn and do your own research.

You may think that eating organic and taking supplement is expensive. Balance it against over a decade without seeing a doctor, a dentist, or any prescriptions of any kind. No, it is not expensive. It's a challenge in other ways, but not economically.

I suggest learning about the many ways that enzyme therapy can be used to address inflammation as well as digestive issues. Most people should take enzymes daily. The other necessary supplement for frequent if not constant use is probiotics. These are the opposite of antibiotics: culture colonies of the friendly bacteria we MUST have in our guts for efficient digestion.

I hope this is helpful information. Sorry to go on so long. It's something I try to impart constantly. Working in a health food store, I see people constantly who are buying supplements and asking health questions. As much as I try to learn, I cannot answer every one. Some of these people are quite ill, some are battling serious diseases, some are merely suffering from the systemic poisoning of corporate greed.

There are many ways for people to address their own bodily needs, but there are commonalities. The strongest one I know is care of the digestive system. Everything else is built upon it.

Last edited by whitecrow; 10-09-2008 at 03:22 PM.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
Sarahmay
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Digestion

You're so right.

I've taken probiotics for awhile, but I just added a hydrochloric acid supplement (only to be taken with a full meal) and it is unbelievable how much more energy I get from my food.
Sarahmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
Racsouran
Banned

bowel movements are funny
Racsouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
nondysjunction
Avalon Senior Member

Wow, great information!

I'd really like to know more about this. Could you point us in a direction?
nondysjunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR
Avalon Senior Member

Talking Re: Digestion

Hi Whitecrow,
Nice and informative post, first one I've read in this section, thankyou for posting this.

Ant reccomendations on what kind of enzymes and probiotics combi one should take?

Namaste

PEACEFUL WARRIOR
THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
justbe
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks very much Whitecrow. Great info. Its quite surprising to hear the 80% - 20% statistic. Apparently laxatives are one of the most prescribed drugs. Crazy. (I find the 80-20 rule pops up all the time in other areas of life too) Any pointers with products and more info would be greatly appreciated, And also products for children too, espeacially. Thanks for bringing this up. Its all starts with the digestion.
justbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
brutus35
Avalon Senior Member

Angry Re: Digestion

Thanks again "Whitecrow",
A couple weeks ago I observed sweling all over my body, and was diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome or Oedema. After a battery of test and examinarion in the local hospital, (and a huge medical bill) I was informed that my kidneys was outputting too much protein about (880gms I think). I had a renal biopsy done and is awaiting the result. I was always very healthy, working out regularly, I juiced and drank fresh fruit and vegetables, and ate fairly healthy foods. I however consumed a tremendous amount of whey protein supplement and concentrated amino acid. The swelling is now concentrated to my lower body, from my waist down to my toes. I am on a low sodium/low protein diet, with a dieuretic and medication for high blood pressure (which I never suffered from previously). I really do not like taking drugs, and it is now making me feel very sick. Even when the swelling started, I never felt sick, now it is different.
Since you seem to have a great handle on "health via Digestion". Can you advise me on a non-drug direction that I may follow'
Thanks again for your timely post..
with peace profund
John
brutus35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Yes we need to know what kind of enzymes and probiotics to take whitecrow, if you can add more info,thanks.
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
stefaan
Avalon Senior Member

Exclamation Re: Digestion

If you have Crohn's disease or colitis ulcerosa, DON'T take probiotics. It's been proven to be a bad idea.

Then... don't buy your probiotics just in the store on the corner. It's expensive in all cases, so you'd better buy the good ones. Those in a simple store or not good enough to buy. Only 70% really contain living bacteria, and often not enough. You can say 30% has died already, and of these other 70%, lot's are dying too. The only place you can buy a good product is at your pharmacist.

Probiotics are highly hyped and are expensive. It's nothing more than a commercial product. In fact, most people don't need it. You'd better look for an old farmer, who still makes his yoghurt in a traditional way (very sour result). This yoghurt is much more efficient and healthy then probiotics in most cases.

You don't have to believe me, if you don't want to, of course.

Last edited by stefaan; 10-12-2008 at 04:23 PM.
stefaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
stefaan
Avalon Senior Member

Doctor Mayr said:
Nutrition = Food x Digestion

Food:
"Don't buy anything you're grandmother wouldn't recognize as food."
(In the US it's difficult I hear; a Belgian cook opened a resto in the US, and had to fly over almost everything, because you couldn't find it locally...)
Never eat to much at once.
Cooking food is not so bad as mentioned above, but you should learn to cook properly, so the enzymes don't get destroyed in the process.

Digestion:
It most often is already going the wrong way at the start.
People don't take the time to eat. If you take time to eat, you'll eat less. People don't chew enough. Normally you should chew at least over 20 times per bite. Most of us chew 5-6 times and swallow. It's also a bad idea to drink while eating (and it's better to wait a while after you have eaten). It's a bad idea to cover your food with lot's of gravy, saus, juice. When you have to learn to chew more, make it a habit, then it's a good idea to stick to dry food for a while. They oblige you to chew properly. If you chew properly you will eat less.
If you manage to make all things better, that happen in your mouth, you will relieve you estomach of a heavy burden. The digestion will be better as a whole. It's a good idea to take a rest for a while after you have eaten. It's a bad idea to immediately start a heavy duty job of some kind.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

I know there's a yogurt in the store that's supposed to be good for your digestive system and has probiotics in it, but I wonder how good is it and how long would you have to eat it to work, and I know nothing about enzymes or what foods have them and which don't. Any suggestions?
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:38 AM   #12
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus35 View Post
...Since you seem to have a great handle on "health via Digestion". Can you advise me on a non-drug direction that I may follow'
Thanks again for your timely post..
with peace profund
John
John, I'm gonna have to do some research. I never blow smoke, and I wouldn't want to give you bad advice. I'll get back to ya. Sounds like you would be more comfortable if you took some kind of an herbal diuretic, like cat's claw (una de gato) or dandelion root.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:06 AM   #13
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefaan View Post
If you have Crohn's disease or colitis ulcerosa, DON'T take probiotics. It's been proven to be a bad idea.

Probiotics are highly hyped and are expensive. It's nothing more than a commercial product. In fact, most people don't need it. ...yoghurt is much more efficient and healthy then probiotics in most cases.
Both these statements are incorrect.

Crohn's disease is an inflammatory bowel disorder that is painful and causes malnutrition, weight loss and worse complications. L. acidophilus and L. bifidus in a nondairy formula are specifically recommended to help reduce inflammation and reduce seepage of undigested food particles.

Ulcerative colitis is a chronic condition whose manifestations are similar to Crohn's. Both involve extreme inflammation, ulcers and bleeding in the large intestine. Acidophilus and bifidus in a nondairy formula are specifically recommended once again to normalize intestinal flora, especially if the patient has been on antibiotics.

It is true that many commercial companies have jumped on the nutritional bandwagon and offer products of dubious value. Let the buyer beware. The most expensive product is not necessarily the best. If a person has a varied, mostly raw vegetarian diet that includes cheese and yogurt, miso and other fermented foods, then he may not need to take probiotics at all. People who eat a diet of processed foods full of synthetic ingredients need all the digestive help they can get. Anyone who has been on antibiotics needs to follow them with a full remedial program of probiotics to normalize bowel function. Anyone with a compromised immune system, cold, flu, diarrhea, constipation or any other illness needs probiotics. So does anyone who travels.

Probiotics range in price from a $5 bottle of acidophilus to a $65 bottle of Primal Defense by Garden of Life. What's best for you? How should I know? It took me years to learn my own body, now I know enough to help people make intelligent decisions...but only you know how you feel, what you eat, and how you abuse your body. Also, what's your goal? Do you just want to feel okay without spending much? Or do you want to feel vibrant and robust well into your old age? These are the things that will guide your health choices.

There more than a dozen probiotic organisms. L. acidophilus and L. bifidus are the most well-known as they are the ones most numerous in yogurt and kefir. The more expensive formulas will have 6-14 different varieties, and a guaranteed potency in the billions of living organisms. Watch for guaranteed potency at time of consumption as opposed to time of manufacture. There are many formulas available, including ones for infants. I give them to my dog, too.

My two favorite probiotic products are:

All-Flora
by New Chapter. About $25 for a bottle of 72 capsules. Food-based, all organic, has a count of 6 billion organisms of 8 species in each capsule.

EPS from Jarrow Formulas. About $18 for a package of 60. Needs no refrigeration, enteric coated, has 8 billion per capsule. Great for traveling.

I always recommend my customers consider supplements as part of their food budget, not buy supplements they don't need, and balance the cost against the savings in medicines and doctor visits.

Last edited by whitecrow; 10-13-2008 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:43 AM   #14
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

ENZYMES

Before I write about the energized proteins called enzymes I want to specify once again that I am not a trained nutritionist, a biologist, a certified herbalist, or anything else. In fact, I am just a high school graduate with a couple of half-fast college years tacked on the end. I am a furniture repairman by trade, but I've worn a bunch of hats in my life. I am a learner by nature; my grandmother taught me to read at age 3, and I cut my teeth on my grandfather's journals and books - he was an MD in the days before antibiotics, when sulfa was the closest thing to a wonder drug. I am still a constant reader. So that should establish my utter lack of credentials, in case anyone is wondering.

I do NOT know it all, but I willingly share what I learn. If you catch me in a mistake, please correct me: we'll all benefit.

Enzymes are necessary for life. They not only digest our food, but are involved in virtually every chemical and electrical reaction that happens in the body. Enzymes act as catalysts, speeding up biochemical processes that otherwise would happen too slowly to sustain life, or not at all. The biggest single lack in the typical American diet is enzymes.

There are actually thousands of individual enzymes, each one performing a specific function somewhere in the body. However, they fall into two broad categories and several subcategories, and typically you will see each category referred to as if it was a single enzyme, rather than hundreds.

Enzymes are categorized as digestive or metabolic enzymes. Digestive enzymes are secreted in the digestive system, of course, beginning with the mouth. Saliva is rich in amylase, which breaks down carbohydrates. As noted, there are many kinds of amylase - lactase, for instance, whose single function is the digestion of lactose. It's the "lact" of this enzyme that causes folks to be lactose intolerant (sorry bout that). In addition, protease digests proteins, and lipase digests lipids or fats.

Metabolic enzymes catalyze and enable the various reaction within the cells that allow our bodies to function. Two very important metabolic enzymes are SOD (superoxide dismutase) and catalase. SOD is extremely valuable as an antioxidant, while catalase breaks down waste peroxides and liberates oxygen into the bloodstream.

Without getting all technical, it's important to know that enzymes do more than digest food. Enzyme supplements are one of the most valuable weapons against inflammatory and autoimmune disorders, but the good ones tend to be pretty pricey. One product, Advanced Enzyme Complex from Rainbow Light, is only about $12 for a 90-capsule bottle, and is a terrific value. I also like Extrazyme-13 from Lifetime ($65 for 180 capsules).

Since there are once again companies that jump to put some product on the shelf so they can take advantage of a trend, let the buyer beware. Buy enzyme products from a company that specializes in them. This is an area that is worth your time to do a little reading and ask questions.

I hope this is useful. I welcome questions, though I don't guarantee to be able to answer them.

Last edited by whitecrow; 10-13-2008 at 03:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:08 AM   #15
jorjel
Avalon Senior Member

This isvery usefull information. I also use Probiotic suplements from Forever LIving Products and my digestion runs well and i have a lot of energy. Keep up this work.

J.
jorjel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #16
stefaan
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrow View Post
Both these statements are incorrect.

Crohn's disease is an inflammatory bowel disorder that is painful and causes malnutrition, weight loss and worse complications. L. acidophilus and L. bifidus in a nondairy formula are specifically recommended to help reduce inflammation and reduce seepage of undigested food particles.

Ulcerative colitis is a chronic condition whose manifestations are similar to Crohn's. Both involve extreme inflammation, ulcers and bleeding in the large intestine. Acidophilus and bifidus in a nondairy formula are specifically recommended once again to normalize intestinal flora, especially if the patient has been on antibiotics.

It is true that many commercial companies have jumped on the nutritional bandwagon and offer products of dubious value.
Sorry. My statements are correct.

In 2001, I worked along with a study about probiotics sponsored by Nestlé. A lot of universities in europe were involved. The study was about the post-operative influence of probiotic products for people with IBD after resection of a part of the bowel. Similar studies have been done in those years. The first results of the studies were positive.
Then, indeed you saw "commercial companies jump on the nutritional bandwagon"... All of them have produced texts as you have here above, telling us it's very good, it's very healthy.
But universities have continued their studies, even did some meta-studies, and after a while the enthousiasm about probiotics started to diminish. There had also been "accidents" with some other probiotics, not designed for a better bowel function. I have forgotton what they were for. But people died. This, and the follow-up studies, opened the eyes of many professionals.
Since I have Crohn's disease myself, a half year ago, my specialist urged me to stop using probiotics.
So, yes, on the net you'll find lots of positive texts on probiotics. Those commercial companies won't haste themselves to remove those texts. It's even beyond their means. Those texts have gone viral.
But the most recent studies show it really was a hype, nothing more. Even a bad one for IBD patients.

It's always a good idea to check your sources.
Books, internet pages, ... can be sponsored by commercial companies.
None of them will ever admit their product is bad, or not necessary.

Quote:
If a person has a varied, mostly raw vegetarian diet that includes cheese and yogurt, miso and other fermented foods, then he may not need to take probiotics at all
A "mostly raw diet" is also not so ideal for people with bowel disfunctions. Don't forget, for more than 30.000 years, people are cooking their meals.

Another thing interesting. Long time people have tought the appendix had no function. So often it was removed, just like that, even if it wasn't inflamed. Recently they found out, the appendix holds a kind of bacteria bank, of all kinds you need personally. Each time your bowels get out of balance, it get's washed out with diarrea, so to speak. And then the bacteria cultures are rebuild very fast (one day) using this bacteria bank. When your appendix has been removed rebuilding the cultures takes much more time, even sometimes failes. Probiotics can help in those cases (still not for IBD patients though)

whitecrow : what I write here, is not meant as an attack on you or what you write. It's more like a marginal note. People should beware, and especially those with IBD.

Last edited by stefaan; 10-13-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #17
Enuma Elish
Avalon Senior Member

As a Herbalist and Colonic Therapist I have seen a lot of IBS and Colitis etc. These disorders are bad bacterias in the stomach and bowels. You have to kill the bacteria before you can heal that part of the body. Probiotics are very essential but a good qualtiy one from your country, do the research into the best. To kill the bacteria dont feed it SUGAR of any sort and packaged food not from mother earth. There are many natural killers but I have found MMS (Miracle Mineral Supplement) to work the fastest and is safe. Pau D Arco tea, Kolorex and Three Lac a powerful probiotic obtainable in most countries from the net. Of course you will not be able to get rid of the bacteria properly if you have heavy metals in the body which most of us have, so a detox is required, get a Hair Mineral Analysis to determine the levels in your body. Heavy Metals in the body feed the bacteria as does SUGAR as I have mentioned. Having Hydrotherapy Colonics to clean the bowel out on a regular basis is highly recomended while you detox and kill the bacteria. it helps to get the old toxic waste out so the body can start anew, you will feel wonderful once you experieince this. Candida is a large part of this disorder. Look up the diet and info for Candida. Sugar and the prossesed western diet have to be eliminated I can not say more about NOT eating SUGAR with these problems. For Enzymes/Hydrochloric Acid you can always try Braggs Apple Cider vinegar if you dont suffer from the above disorders. SOOOO...Clean the bowel from years of old built up waste, take high quality probiotics and enzymes and eat only food from the earth, detox the heavy metals, drink lots of clean water and absolutely NO SUGAR and you will be back on track to being healthy. Some doctors/specialtist do not understand this disorder and will say things they dont understand.
Enuma Elish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #18
stefaan
Avalon Senior Member

Cool Re: Digestion

Don't confuse IBS and Colitis with IBD.
IBS = Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Colitis = litterally a temporal disfunction of the bowel (also short for Colitis Ulcerosa)
IBD = Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Crohn and Colitis Ulcerosa)

Candida. There are thousands of books about that. Very few scientific though. But it's not all wrong what they tell of course.
Sugar is indeed a sort of boogeyman for the digestion. Avoiding sugar can make a difference.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
Enuma Elish
Avalon Senior Member

No matter what name you give it it is still a Bad Bacteria in the bowel, years of toxic built up waste forms muciod plaque this is a place where these bacteria, parasites and fungi grow the only difference is the symptoms giving you different names to the disorder, do the research, you have 7.5 meters of colon depending on where the trouble and the symptoms is the name of the condition is given. Beleive me I have seen many bowels and what they hold inside as a colonic therapist and much experience with ALL these problems. They are all caused by different things for different people, but they are all an overload of Bad Bacterias for whatever reason started it off, No one is born with these problems.
Enuma Elish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:05 AM   #20
Pegasus_22
Avalon Senior Member

I've been studying and taking veggie based enzymes for two years now.

Best way to optimize your energy and keep your vital immune system super strong is to eat mostly or all RAW foods. Avoid processed sugars and white flour as these will cause problems and lower your immune resistance.

The highest quality Enzymes I've been able to find are these, which I take daily:

Enzymedica

I have no affiliations with them but can testify to their quality and health benefits.

Pegasus_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #21
argonacon
Avalon Senior Member

good bringing this one up!

drinking lots of fruit and vegetable juice is a really good thing and helps with digestion....you spend less energy digesting your food and you absorbe more of the energy from the food. buying an inexspensive juicer is a really good idea as it cuts down on the cost in a big way.

for yogurt, you want a yogurt that is NON PASTEURISED, as that kills all the bacteria that helps do the work for you in your tummy.

while i know it takes alot of energy to digest food, i dont think it is 70%...think about how much energy it takes to move around, run up a set of stairs. and then think about how much energy it takes to heat your body. between both of those functions, i'm sure they make up more than 30% of total calorie costs. i dont even know if science can totally quantify that in an accurate way. it would depend on how much you eat, what your diet is, how physically active you are, and your genetics.

anyway, just my two cents!

EDIT:

just another small comment on the whole nestle study. there was a bunch of studies done at my old university testing for infant formula. the head doctor was very prominent. he was found to be a fraud years later and relocated to swizerland. he basically was paid off by nestle to make up the whole study so they would be able to rush their findings onto the market before their competitors, even though they had an inferior product. so yeah, nestle is just a big evil company and i wouldnt trust any study they had a hand in "sponsoring"...any kind of corporate sponsorship of education makes me very suspicious. here's the link to the article.....you can find lots more if you dig online.

http://www.cbc.ca/national/news/chandra/

peace!

Last edited by argonacon; 10-14-2008 at 05:43 AM.
argonacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:34 AM   #22
stefaan
Avalon Senior Member

Cool Re: Digestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuma Elish View Post
No matter what name you give it ...
It does matter. Different cause, different treatment.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #23
being
Avalon Senior Member

I highly recommend you read Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. Alot of good information has been synthesized there. One myth is that fat / high cholesterol is bad. High quality saturated fat is great for you. Polyunsaturated oils and pretty much every vegetable oil on the market is horrible for you when heated( unheated olive oil is ok). Not to be fanatical however because cooking with butter/olive oil is ok at times. The oils help digest and utilize the food, however, using RAW pasture fed dairy will help us recieve the full benefits of that substance.

Making beef stock and other traditional stocks provides TONS of valuable nutrients that are easily assimilated. We need to eat food we can conquer if we wish to use it for building and maintaining our bodies. Modern grain products are incredibly hard to digest and should almost always be avoided because they dont soak the flour or sprout the grains inorder to transmute the phytic acid. Our ancestors knew that grains were sacred and required special treatment in order for them to be digestable however now days the typical loaf of bread is made in 5 minutes.

Another valuable tool is to increase beneficial bacteria in your body making food assimilated easily the whole way down. We do this by eating naturally fermented foods like sauerkraut(unpasturized)/kimchi/miso/sourcream(preferably RAWmilk)/yogurt ect. These help break down the food making nutrients available immediately also making our bodies use much less energy doing it.

Also we should have at least some percent of our diet as raw vegetables and if your healthy fruit. However what is a wonderful medicine for one person may be like a poison to another. So learning to slow down and be conscious of ourselves will help us reconnect with our instinctive ability to select food.

Besides variety and balance in the diet what is most important is having positive mental states. Hate, anger, fear and all the rest of the negative emotions disturbs our bodily, mental, emotional, ect. processes. Heart attacks, strokes and all the other problems people are facing these days are mainly due to an inability to positively transform the impressions of life not just our food. These inner tensions need to be removed through meditation and self understanding not just diet.

For the inward problems the Dalai Lama does a good job of being a universal source of ailments.

For the concerns about diet visit this site.

http://www.westonaprice.org/

Last edited by being; 10-14-2008 at 05:27 PM.
being is offline   Reply With Quote