Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Céline
Avalon Senior Member

Default Essential Oils

Using essential oils around the house has more then one benefit. It brings a sense of peace and tranquility...or can stimulate the appetite! As well as being a green way of cleaning !

Here are some ideas i gathered and put together...

Dishwashing Soap:

Add fragrance or help the antiseptic action of your liquid soap, add several drops of essential oils such as lavender, fir, spruce, pine, lemon, bergamot, , orange or Basil.

In Your washing Machine:

Essential oils can help with the cleanliness and fragrance of laundry. eucalyptus oil in the wash cycle...You may also add several drops of essential oils to the rinse cycle, such as fir, spruce, juniper, lavender, cedar wood, or rosewood.

Place a washcloth dampened with 10 drops of lavender, lemon, melaleuca, bergamot, or other essential oils in your dryer. Wont work on static cling, but will add a great scent and has no chemicals like bounce etc

Surface Cleansers

Fill a plastic spray bottle with water and a squirt of dishwashing soap. Add 3 to 5 drops each of lavender, lemon, and pine essential oils. Shake the spray bottle well, and your homemade cleaner is ready to spray. (do not use on limonium it may stain, so do a test first)

Additional antibacterial and antiviral oils that are excellent for cleaning include cinnamon, clove, Eucalyptus , thyme, juniper, Melaleuca altemifolia, spruce, lemongrass, and grapefruit.

Floors and Carpet:

By combining essential oils with common household products, you can create your own nontoxic aromatic floor and carpet cleaners. To clean hard floors, add l/4 cup of white vinegar to a bucket of water. Then add 5- 10 drops of lemon, pine, spruce, Melaleuca alternifoli.

If the floor is especially dirty, add several drops of dish washing soap. This will clean even the dirtiest floor.

To make a carpet freshener, add sixteen to twenty drops of essential oils to a cup of baking soda or borax powder.

Mix well and place in a covered container overnight so that the oil can be absorbed. Sprinkle over your carpet the next day and then vacuum the powder up.

You may also saturate a disposable cloth or tissue with several drops of essential oil and place it into the collecting bag of your vacuum. This will diffuse a pleasant odor as you clean. If your vacuum collects dirt into water, simply add a few drops into the water reservoir before cleaning. This refreshes both the carpet and the room.

Insecticide and Repellent: Dust Mites, Fleas, Ticks, Ants, Spiders, etc.

Many of us use synthetic chemicals to deal with insects. Essential oils and oil blends, such as lavender, lemon, peppermint, lemongrass, cypress, Eucalyptus globulus, cinnamon, thyme, basil, Thieves, Purification, and citronella, effectively repel many types of insects including mites, lice, and fleas. Peppermint placed on entry ways prevents ants from entering.

If you need moth repellents for your linens and woolens, avoid toxicommercial mothballs made of naphthalene. Natural essential oils, like citronella, lavender, lemongrass, Canadian red cedar, or rosemary, can just as effectively repel moths and other insects.

You can make a sachet by placing several drops of essential oil on a cotton ball. Wrap and tie this in a small handkerchief or square of cotton. Hang this cloth in storage areas or add it to your chest of linens. Refresh as often as necessary. You can put this sachet in your bureau drawers to keep your clothes freshly scented. Lavender and rose are classic scents but i love to use a variety of floral scents, Geranium is my present favorite!

For children chamomile is an especially fragrant and relaxing. scent without being over powering
Céline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
morguana
Project Avalon Moderator

Default Re: Essential Oils

celine, thank you for a lovely detailed post about essential oils, we use them lots, from cleansing to stabalising emotions, my sprogs so like to help blend for incence (and ritual blends) and bathing.
i always have to hand a couple of bottles of oils for first aid use, and never am without citronella when we go camping, to keep biteing insects at bay.
for anyone that has children in nappies.....teatree oil in the nappy bucket is such a help.

however becarefull useing yangyang oil for relaxing......it has an apphrodisiac affect! lol, lavender works better. neroli is a good one to pop on pulse points when one is suffering from fatigue.
m x

the way is not in the sky, the way is in the heart

forum guidlines

Avalon Chat
morguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Céline
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morguana View Post
neroli is a good one to pop on pulse points when one is suffering from fatigue.
m x

i LOVE Neroli!!!! it is my second favorite... #1 is Jasmine

my best friend , who has taught me everything i know about oils, is in India right now...its her second time there...the oils she gets from there...are...so pure...it is an amazing difference...

We use them in the shop alot.....

lavender is also good for preventing or treating bruises and for keeping spiders away! (pour on cotton balls and put in corners where spiders are )
Old 01-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
chelmostef
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Céline!

This is a great post, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us
I wish I could add to it... Ive never realy used essential oils but its somthing I think if I knew about I might do.. Are there particular brands ect that are best or ones that are more natural than others... Like you said your friends brings ones from india are they the ones to look out for? Or maybe ones to avoid due to enviroment or explotational impact.
chelmostef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Céline
Avalon Senior Member

Hmm those are very good questions..

I know the purer ones are not available to buy in Canada...

brand wise...i also have no idea...as my freind has big brown bottles filling a cupboard!! and i never buy them...

i will ask her and try to get some information back to you
Old 01-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

you can get pure ones from neways - www.ineways.com/workingwonders

even labelled properly for PQ
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

make your own air freshener

approx 14 oz of water , 1 oz of vodka , and, about 14 drops of your favourite essential oil

lavender is particularly good for dealing with ghouls !!!
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
MargueriteBee
Avalon Senior Member

I just LOVE tarragon essential oil. It is wonderful for burns, bites, you name it. It even helped remove a mole from my check.
MargueriteBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #9
Moxie
Avalon Senior Member

The word is Essential...
look it up

Oil within/without
Lamps light up.
Brain food
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
Moxie
Avalon Senior Member

don't put Essential oils (ex: oregano) on your privates... or pick your eyes after handling!
You'll wail like a newborn babe for relief!!!
Caution is advised... to handle with extreme caution!
EO's may blister your skin & mucous membranes

In an emergency... dilute with olive oil or any other household, culinary oil...
DO NOT ever USE WATER to diffuse, it does NOT work!
Only oil dilutes oil....

you're welcomed!
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
silverlightning
Avalon Senior Member

I think I'm influenced by this wave too. I haven't thought of herbs and essential oils in years, and now suddenly I add rosemary to all kinds of things.
silverlightning is offline   Reply With Quote