Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > United States

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 03:11 AM   #26
Jnana
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Indianapolis metro area

I'm in the Bloomington area but not in town. I've only been in the "awakened" state a short while, less than a year, and I feel like many things, myself included, are changing fast. I have yet to meet anyone in the same boat in person to discuss such things openly. A foot in both worlds all the time.
Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:04 AM   #27
Peace4Gaia
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Indianapolis metro area

Octo Libra & Jnana

Octo Libra -- your posting seems to good to be true!! I've been thinking a lot lately about what is needed for this networking and how to begin... what to do... and I kept coming back to the thought that it all seems rather pointless if you don't actually have space to create on... I kept wondering if there was anyone out there with land... because that's a major piece of the puzzle. And the way things are shaking out tonight... no telling what the world will look like tomorrow! Time may be of the essence even more than we realize!!

Jnana -- I encountered a few of your posts before I realized you were in Indiana... seemed like synchronicity to me!

REMINDER for everyone:
TarEk has created a group for us here
http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/group.php?groupid=40

Peace
Peace4Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #28
Argante
Avalon Senior Member

Default Indiana

Please list all Indiana locations here.
Argante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #29
cmorin
Avalon Senior Member

Post Re: Indiana

Hi from south central Indiana. We have been at this location for 20 years. Early on we tried to build a community of like-minded individuals but everyone didn't share the same vision and it didn't come to pass. Some of the interests we have are: solar, gardening, hydroponics, mushroom growing and various other hobbies. I will monitor the discussion and contribute when I can. Good luck to all.
cmorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:59 AM   #30
Peace4Gaia
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Indiana

cmorin

Do you know our friend Octo_Libra? also in South Central IN... and yes, I can imagine it would/will be difficult to create these "Radiant Zones"... it does require people with coherent vision working toward the same goals... and I've been thinking a lot over the last few days about the emotional impact of such a living situation... about all the things one would "give up"... everyday things we take for granted. No matter how prepared you think you are, there's always one more thing you may need... I guess that's where the teamwork and creativity would come in. But more than that... I think it would be very important to include some musicians and artists in a group... there would have to be more to "do" than just those tasks necessary for survival... I was wondering how isolated and lonely it could become? and how much more important it would be then to have very stable, like-minded people in the group.

I think we've become the "official" Indiana thread... I was a bit confused by the Mary Lou's Moderator entry, "please post all Indiana locations here." Had to read that twice and then again... because, of course no one's going to just give out addresses here in this thread.

Anyway, I'm torn between "business as usual" and running up the credit card to get what little food and supplies I could muster to ride out whatever's coming... I think I'll just keep on keeping on and just try to be as mentally/spiritually prepared as possible. There's a lot going on... BUT... I really do believe what we're seeing is the last dying breaths of the "OLD"... which is quite necessary for anything NEW to begin...

Peace
Old 09-25-2008, 04:14 AM   #31
Darren Swisher
Avalon Senior Member

Send Messages to your appointed.

senator_lugar@lugar.senate.gov
bayh.senate.gov/contact/email/
http://carson.house.gov/contact.me.shtml
Darren Swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #32
Paradoxical_Reality

Northeast Indiana here!
Sweet site! and FORUM!
Greetings to you all a from friend of TarEk!
hope all is well with all of you and it continues to be that way

bring on the TRUTH!

Old 09-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #33
Peace4Gaia
Avalon Senior Member

Paradoxical Reality!!

Great Name!

This whole reality is one big oxymoron... nothing is as it seems and whatever you think it is... it's likely to be the exact opposite.

Peace
Old 09-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #34
Paradoxical_Reality

I have always had this feeling in me that everything isn't quite what it seems and there HAS to be something more to this life than just this day in day out.
I want to get out and explore the universe that's my dream or at the very least the galaxy!

I hope to have some very interesting discussions here. I am very open minded but I also like to form my own opinion and not persuaded one way easily.

It sucks to me you know, there is so much out there and I'm stuck on this little ol planet!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #35
Paradoxical_Reality

kind of dead in here! get on people!
Old 10-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #36
PTTurboe

Hi All!

Origionally from SW Indiana - went to IU and lived in Broad Ripple until I moved to Florida.

If the **** hits the fan I am thinking of coming back up to my small town...

Is Purdue still an accredited school?
Old 10-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #37
Debi5
Avalon Senior Member

20 minutes south of Indy here. Glad to know I am not alone :-)
Debi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #38
Genny
Avalon Senior Member

I have access to land in south central Indiana, near Jasper.

What I would like to do preferably is buy the land from this person so that I can start a community. I don't know how fast I can do this, though. It would be 80 acres with a big forested hill, about five miles from a tiny village.

The biggest problem will be access to water, that's the first thing I would have to have done. And it's a big hill, so I don't know if I'll be able to get some kind of solar set-up to power a well pump or not.

That's the biggest problem, really, is people with expertise. And capital. I mean, let's say that we gather, oh, twenty people together. Would one well be enough? How would we process sewage -- that's a lot of people! What would we have to do first, build a place for storage of food or build a place for people to live? Who is doing the building, we or some outside contractor?

Anybody have answers to these questions?
Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #39
cmorin
Avalon Senior Member

Genny, that is a very ambitious project on a limited budget and short time frame. Much of southern Indiana does not have a good water supply. We have a two acre lake and use a water treatment system to clean up the water to drink. One system is chemical treated and filtered and the other has UV and reverse osmosis. Additionally, we have two wells with hand pumps for backup. The question on sewage treatment is also a tricky one. However, there are several possible solutions. There are new systems like sand filters and bio-treatments that can handle larger quantities of waste. You wnat to have something that is not energy intensive. If we were to expand here I was thinking of going with solar composting toilets. Solar pumping is viable if you have a system sized for your needs. I am looking at installing a solar pump system that will handle 50 gallons per minute. The cost will run approximately $2000 and that is with the distribution system already in place. I think that most communities have each participant be responsible for their own housing. Have you seen any communities like Pandamaran or The Farm in Tennessee?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #40
Genny
Avalon Senior Member

Hi, cmorin!

No I never went to Pandanaram, wasn't quite sure how to get there, it's somewhere near Shoals or Crane or someplace like that? They have what, 200 people there? I wasn't thinking anywhere near 200 people anyway.

I am not planning on being that ambitious really. I was thinking, get started on a place for me, and for storage. Then, if someone comes along that I get along with, invite them along. I was thinking that for 80 acres with a good part of it a forested hill, that 20 people would be the maximum number to sustain, would that be about right?

I've looked into solar water pumps, I think I won't have a problem except on cloudy days, so it would be ideal to have a cistern for those cloudy days. Still, how many people equals a thousand gallon cistern? Anyway, that's the kind of expertise that would be really handy, people with practical knowledge.
Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #41
cmorin
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: Indiana

I am listing an email contact for discussions not in the public view. If anyone is interested in my location or wants to know more about the things we have some knowledge of, please contact me via this address. I will only respond to those persons that are listed as part of the Indiana ground crew. Time is running out to start anything new. cmorin@gmx.us

Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 AM   #42
cmorin
Avalon Senior Member

If the name of the sponser group doesn't bother you, then you may find some interesting info. They are sponsoring a course on wild edibles in Indianapolis in the spring of 2009. The info is on their website; http://ingunowners.com/forums/surviv...edibles-2.html
Old 11-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #43
rkp71
Avalon Senior Member

I just wanted to state I am still here and check this section regularly. I am unsure if I will be able to post in this section or connect to the local ground crew anymore after avalon becomes subscription based.

I am unsure if I will be able to recieve PM's or what but I am sure some form of communication will still be available. Love to all in the coming times ahead I think we can make it through together.
rkp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #44
Jnana
Avalon Senior Member

I'm just wondering how many of the folks who responded to this thread in 2008 are still around. Hello? Anybody there?
Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #45
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnana View Post
I'm just wondering how many of the folks who responded to this thread in 2008 are still around. Hello? Anybody there?
NO....But I'm close to Indiana...Northern KY...just have to throw a stone across the river....
Stargazer1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #46
sammy1211
Avalon Senior Member

I did not reply then but I have been here. I read a lot. Forgot to say I am right here on the west side of INDY as well.
sammy1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #47
rkp71
Avalon Senior Member

I check in now and then.
rkp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #48
watermunky
Avalon Senior Member

Well this is my 1st post. I have been visiting the forum as read only for about a year. I would realy like to hear from anyone in or around my area who is interested in discussing groundcrew related topics. I am an hour or so south of the michigan /indiana line .
watermunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #49
cmorin
Avalon Senior Member

I'm still lurking around. If anyone knows about or knows someone familar with solar electric installation, please let me know.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:22 AM   #50
watermunky
Avalon Senior Member

I know someone in southern Indiana who has alot of knowledge concerning off grid living. I would have to check with them but I think they would be willing to help. chaz
watermunky is offline   Reply With Quote