Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Default Violent Movies, Books, Games, Cartoons, and Toys

I got to thinking...we debate just about everything...even forbidden knowledge...which must certainly attract the attention of Echelon, the Alphabet Agencies, Motherships, and Deep Underground Military Bases. One big happy family! But do we discuss the problem of violence...in an exhaustive and academic manner? Should we declare War on Violence? Is that an oxymoron? Is violence a sin? I've opened some Pandora's Boxes since I arrived at Avalon...and I'm going to open another one. As usual...I have no mapped-out agenda. I just think and speculate out-loud...for better or worse...I don't know.

What really brought this on...was going to see 'Legion'...which profoundly disappointed me. The plot was weak...and the violence was sickening. But the previews for other violent motion-pictures really floored me. I don't go out much...and I shy away from violence...so I was shocked by the glorification of violence on the silver-screen. Our phones are tapped. Our internet activities recorded. Our houses searched without warrants. All for our safety...of course. But violence is promoted and glorified EVERYWHERE. But that's alright. But why is that alright? Aren't Hollywood and the Gaming Industry teaching people to commit violent crime? Aren't they educating future terrorists? I'd like to discuss this online with someone from Homeland Security. There's this supposed fear of social unrest and rioting...and preparations are being made to deal with this threat. But what about the violent movies, books, games, cartoons, and toys? What the hell is going on? Should there be a Sin-Tax on Violent Entertainment which would be used to help victims of war and violent crime...world-wide? This is a day which will live in infamy.

I DECLARE WAR ON VIOLENCE!

Namaste Constitutional Responsible Freedom

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 03-10-2010 at 05:14 PM.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Peace of mind
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Violent Movies, Books, Games, Cartoons, and Toys

It's the conditioning of the mind to be more hostile and at the same time desensitizes you (mainly kids) to violence. I agree that this needs to be stopped.

Well, some might say it’s needed so some can learn from it. OK, but I don’t see the need for it to be just about everywhere. I know what violence brings on many degrees and do not tolerate it. There’s nothing new for me to learn from it but it still exist in the world, and it still causes grief if you’re personally connected to it or not. It baffles me when some who claims to have big hearts look at it and say “it’s a part of life, just except it”. How and why would you lose that feeling of sorrow, and concern for others? I know for a fact when ever people rise up against violence things turn out for the better. It takes group efforts, there’s strength in unity.

When ever I see people sitting back doing nothing, all they ever got was nothing. From the Gandhi’s to the Malcolm X’s…they all were pro-active and not just some optimistic intellectuals. You get out of reality what you put in it. Change is caused by action; inaction is something TPTB always teach. I wonder why…

Peace
Peace of mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

I was looking at battle star galactica because someone told me that it really happened in another probability and I was quite shocked at the violence and anger

Maybe because I don't watch TV

But we are violent there is no doubt of that. Others species fight for survival, even the FA. What do we fight for...words?

It is true that the "brains" behind the scene are illuminati but it is humans those that are pulling the triggers

We can say no, we can chose...

To respect all live
To be calm in the face of chaos
To love all of creation whether we agree with it or not

Source love all of creation, we are creators like source, can we behave like source?

Love to all
Stardustaquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Kikine
Avalon Senior Member

I did not think much about movies cartoons or books but i am going to talk here about violent video games.

Okay, if you are not ''awake'' to what the purpose is, i agree that it can be bad for people to play at those games.

However, if you are ''awake'' and you know what it is here for, violent video games are okay in my opinion.

For example, I sometimes play to really violent video games but my god it's so funny! If you don't take it seriously, it is so relieving to play. You are using your concentration a lot and there is no just bad things in the games. I laugh all the time by killing players in those games because i know it isnt real. Laugh is really something that come with it for me so I am always happy to play.

And, by the way,, i would never kill even a bug... so no it doesnt make you more violent. And I am still digusted by real violence...
Kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Thank-you for your comments. Here is a game-based cartoon movie...which is quite violent and gory. I don't recommend watching more than the first part. I only include it to demonstrate what's out there...as sort of an 'Exhibit A'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sPQ_...eature=related 'Exhibit B' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqnVc...eature=related

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 03-10-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Devakas
Avalon Senior Member

[QUOTE=orthodoxymoron;253499]I got to thinking...I DECLARE WAR ON VIOLENCE!

I always nicely surprised of the questions and wars you declare, dear ortho.

I would like to say there is one perfect group of people, whom I adore and love. It is said only consiousness society will reach happiness, but they must give up completely all meat - eating, gambling, illicit sex and intoxication. Otherwise that is nature's law - if the people are sinful, they have to suffer. Sad that our international societies, ruling organizations, churches do not propagate that, they mislead people ('you shall not kill' , and they do..)
Lets hope awakening will turn to the right direction...
Pure consiousness does not create violence or wars.

Devakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Ha I grew up on Hansel and Gretel and Jack and Jill, wicked witches, Goldilocks. Sleeping Beauty. All pretty gruesome stuff.

Wayne Dyer in one of his books says that the average 15 year old in USA has watched 150,000 murders by the time he reaches that age.

Video games train our kids to be stalker and killers. Why be surprised if a child kills a classroom full of children. He wants to find out how it feels for real after all it was great in the game.

If you think we are not conditioned by TV answer this. Why do manufacturers spend millions on TV adverts? Some use 1/3rd of their budget on adverts.

While I dont like to speak of it, its ok in the context of this thread. I have read books by spiritual teachers that say the lower astral, that which denies God has great influence in our world through the media. The lower astral does not want us to make spiritual progress as they are threatened by loss of control if we evolve. So the films are getting more and more violent and, surprise surprise, the murders in "real life" are getting more brutal and grotesque.
even if you dont believe in the lower astral, ( I dont want to either) its enough to make a connection between repeated violence escalating on TV and Films and the violence in our world. You might think Films reflect real life, Yes they do because they are unknowingly in ignorance fostering a society that is becoming increasingly divided, many are loving and caring, some are violent beyond belief.
Gangster rap music is being listened to. Murder your mother rape your sister lyrics are used. What kind of mind comes up with that?
thats my thoughts.
Ch
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
Clarityofawareness
Avalon Senior Member

Good topic.

Is it any form of violence being promoted in anyway that is to blame for those who conduct or experience violence? Kinda like blaming only the murder weapon, like a gun for killing someone and not the person who pulled the trigger. I am not saint in this forum either because I too sometimes talk about what I call low frequency which is any continuation of hate, fear, greed, selfishness and so on. But at least I also present one or more possible positive or balance solutions as a whole.

Kevin
Clarityofawareness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #9
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarityofawareness View Post
Good topic.

Is it any form of violence being promoted in anyway that is to blame for those who conduct or experience violence? Kinda like blaming only the murder weapon, like a gun for killing someone and not the person who pulled the trigger. I am not saint in this forum either because I too sometimes talk about what I call low frequency which is any continuation of hate, fear, greed, selfishness and so on. But at least I also present one or more possible positive or balance solutions as a whole.

Kevin
Kevin that is fine if you are balanced in the first place, howevera lot of people are easily led.
Im a qualified Hypnotherapist, NLP practitioner and also Bio-energy therapist.
Im speaking from experience not theory. Cars kill lots of people but I dont blame cars.
I dont blame guns as they are inanimate.
I dont even blame movie makers because they are unaware of the damage they are causing. But I have had to work face to face with some of the damaged caused.

We sell guns to people who have no conscience what so ever.
Well it makes money. War is very big buisness.
Before the start of the last world war Winston Churchill was thought of as a trouble maker because he was clear about what Hitler could do, Chamberlin the prime minister got a peace agreement with Hitler that was not worth the paper it was written on.
Hitler just went ahead building the war machine and when he was ready invaded and invaded. Churchill saved our bacon so to speak but if his advice was heeded in the first place many millons of lives would not have been lost.
I am not for censorship but parents should be aware of the affect that violence seen regularly can have on children. Being naive and thinking violent films have no effect is naivety, with all respect.
The balance is to be found through the spiritual.
There is a lot on the ego what is it? how to transcend thread.
Most crimes are driven by the egos wants and desires. You have something I want and I will get it no matter what is ego thinking. War is just that on a bigger scale.
Chris
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #10
SteveX
Avalon Senior Member

Violence on TV is my major gripe. I mean it annoys me because it’s not real enough. The best film so far is Saving private Ryan. The camera work is brilliant. It’s like real exploding shells coming in and the scene on the beach is superb. Bullets zipping through the water. The first 5 men out the landing craft just falling down. A wave of blood washing on the beach. So realistic. That’s what violence on TV should be. None of this gung-ho taking a bullet in the shoulder and fighting on. None of this one-man army defeating 5 ninja assassins whilst combing their hair and making a coup of tea.

If they are going to show violence on TV they should make it as real as possible so everyone can understand the consequences. It hurts, it’s painful and you die. I suspect a few on this forum have broken bones playing sports or general mishaps… maybe traffic accidents. When your laying there with a broken leg it’s bloody painful. You ain’t getting up kungfoo fighting with a busted tib or fib. Neither are you going to swing punches with broken ulna or radius. The pain you get when the ends of the bones rub together is agonisingly debilitating. It just ain’t happening.

When 5 guys jump you it’s over. Your down and they are kicking the chitzoid outta ya in seconds. Yer, you might of got a punch of here or there but your overwhelm in seconds. Life it not like a choreographed Bruce lee movie.

When you take a ricochet of a wall and find it’s only cut into your chest ¼ inch you’re the lucky one. What the camera can’t show is how your muscles feel like they’re frozen but it can show how the tremors in the hands and legs make it look like your naked in the Antarctic.

When you’ve fought good and hard and taken blows that’s loosened teeth and blurred your vision the camera can’t portray it. When your hands are around your foes throat and almost in slow motion you watch him grasping for breath. The fear and desperation in his eyes. Snot bubbling from his nostrils as he goes into convulsions trying to suck air into his lungs. The camera can should show this.

If they are going to show it they should show REAL.

I’ve always wanted to write a comedy sketch that goes like this. First world war in the trenches. All the Tommy’s peaking over the trenches with the Captain ready to blow the whistle for a charge. Captain turn to his men and says “ ready” the men turn around and say “F*** Off”

Last edited by SteveX; 03-11-2010 at 12:18 AM.
SteveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #11
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Steve X...at first I didn't like your comment. But then I remembered a comment by Martin Scorsese (I think)...where he said that violence on the screen should show the pain and suffering of the victims...including surgery, physical-therapy, psychotherapy, etc. So much violence is just 'Bang...your dead! Ha! Ha!' If the number of violent acts depicted were drastically reduced...and the goriness drastically increased...including ER and OR scenes...this might be the way to go. Certain storylines require some violence...but it should never be glorified...and it should never be non-stop gratuitous violence. I'm not advocating sugar-coating everything...holding hands and singing kumbaya.

Your WWI scene reminds me of the slogan 'What if they had a war...and nobody came?' Supposedly the Russians were getting their butts kicked so badly by the exotic German weaponry...that they had to post guards with shoot to kill orders (to improve morale)...to keep the Russian soldiers from running away. Very, very sad.

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 03-11-2010 at 01:16 AM.