Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-18-2008, 06:26 AM   #176
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: For "Survivors" Eyes Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by historycircus View Post

Mobile groups won't need to worry, for whatever reason, about brewing beer. But stationary folks might want to brush up on beer and winemaking - if anything, it could become an incredible exchange commodity. Does anyone here want to give this thread some advice on brewing wine and spirits?
I'm a homebrewer and basically, you need to either have access to liquid/dry malt extract or access to grains in order to brew. You also need access to yeast (dry is best) and hops. It could be difficult to brew if supplies are cut off but if you can find a farmer that grows malt and you can find a yeast source (possibly brettanomyces or other wild yeasts?), you could make a basic hop-less beer with spices and herbs or try growing hop rhizomes.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #177
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Hi aiwass,

Thanks for the kind words, and if you have anything to contribute, please do so.

Dantheman,

Weren't you supposed to ask your aunt about the home-brew recipies? Did you find out anything you could share? Where are the Icelandic secrets?

Peace, love, and funny colors,

Historycircus
[edit] Iceland
Icelandic moonshine (landi) is distilled gambri or landabrugg [12]. It is largely made by hobbyists due to high liquor taxes [13], but used to be a prolific business during the prohibition [14]. Due to the lack of natural cover and harsh weather conditions, most "moonshining" activity occurs indoors in a controlled environment. Although potatoes are the most common constituent of Icelandic moonshine, any carbohydrate can be used, including stale bread. Landi is often consumed by people who cant buy alcohol, either due to their young age or distance from the nearest alcohol store
This is all I could find on it! I talked to my aunt and she said the people she knew that made it have moved, so I guess it's still a mystery.
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #178
historycircus

Here is website on making several different types of stills. I think End-times is right - if the SHTF, we may, sadly, be looking at a potentially beer-less future. My German blood recoils in horror at that potentiality, but it may be a reality at least for a while.

Fortunately, if our federal prison inmates can make Sangria in their toilets, surely we can figure something out. Here is the site - there is a lot of info here.

http://www.moonshine-still.com/

If you can find something better - please post.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #179
Marian-Librarian
Project Avalon Researcher

Wearing material like a survival blanket is better than going underground unless it is just really convenient. Remember that there is available material that is like a faraday cage it stops frequencies. It is about $35 per yard and for about $1000 you can canopy your bed and then add a space/survival blanket and you are pretty much gone![/QUOTE]

This faraday cage-what does it block frequencies of? Heat seeking tech? Other things? Please tell more. I am thinking about constructing a shelter(large) that would use concrete and wire meshing to support it-I think it would function as the farady cage part, and want to know what technology it might block. Just musing for the future. Thanks for your wisdom.
Marian-Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #180
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

The faraday cage blocks all kinds of radio freguencies, when I worked at Motorola we all sat in our little cages to block each others transmissions, I worked on pagers and cell phones, the guy in front of me worked on cell phones, the guy behind me worked on mobile radios(police,fire,rescue,and such). There were 8 of us in all and we each had our booths with heavy metal doors too. The cages were to block each others transmissions from our frequency generators that we used for repairs and testing. I don't know if they block heat seeking stuff or not.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #181
astropsyche
Avalon Senior Member

I would just like to add something to the list of survival supplies. If you are taking strong medications try to build up a store of these - this is so that usage can steadily be reduced and not lead to crippling withdrawal symptoms which would be very undesirable in a survival situation. You healthy folk may not get this but those of you who do use such medications certainly will. I am not sure how diabetics will fare in maintaining sugar levels?
astropsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #182
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:
Originally Posted by astropsyche View Post
I would just like to add something to the list of survival supplies. If you are taking strong medications try to build up a store of these - this is so that usage can steadily be reduced and not lead to crippling withdrawal symptoms which would be very undesirable in a survival situation. You healthy folk may not get this but those of you who do use such medications certainly will. I am not sure how diabetics will fare in maintaining sugar levels?
A friend of mine is a diabetic, he has a years supply of insulin and loads of chocolate
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #183
historycircus

Swanny,

Is there a shelf life for insulin? Also, doesn't it need to be kept cool? Does friend have a "mobile" contingency?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:28 PM   #184
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:
Swanny,

Is there a shelf life for insulin? Also, doesn't it need to be kept cool? Does friend have a "mobile" contingency?
Sorry I dont know I will ask him next time I see him.
I said to him that it mite be a good idea to get some stock built up and he told me he already had a years worth so I guess it must be ok for that long. He does carry some with him and checks quite regularly.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #185
Cosmic Seer
Avalon Senior Member

http://dotconnectoruk.blogspot.com/2...ppear-off.html

The One Hundred Items To Disappear Off The Shelves First

1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy...target of thieves; maintenance etc.)
2. Water Filters/Purifiers
3. Portable Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried, for home uses.
5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
10. Rice - Beans - Wheat
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.
14. Mini Heater head (Propane) (Without this item, propane won't heat a room.)
15. Grain Grinder (Non-electric)
16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.
17. Survival Guide Book.
18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)
19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
22. Vitamins
23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item)24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
25. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
29. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many).
30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)
33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)
34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit
35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
37. First aid kits
38. Batteries (all sizes...buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
41. Flour, yeast & salt
42. Matches. {"Strike Anywhere" preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)
45. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts
46. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, "No. 76 Dietz" Lanterns
47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience; Historic Times)
48. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if with wheels)
49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc
50. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)
51. Fishing supplies/tools
52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
53. Duct Tape
54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
55. Candles
56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags
58. Garden tools & supplies
59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc
.61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)
62. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)
63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
67. Board Games, Cards, Dice
68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase
76. Reading glasses
77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
78. "Survival-in-a-Can"
79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
80. Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog
81. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)
82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
85. Lumber (all types)
86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
87. Cots & Inflatable mattress's
88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
89. Lantern Hangers
90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
91. Teas
92. Coffee
93. Cigarettes
94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
95. Paraffin wax96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
97. Chewing gum/candies
98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
100. Goats/chickens

From a Sarajevo War Survivor:
Experiencing horrible things that can happen in a war - death of parents and friends, hunger and malnutrition, endless freezing cold, fear, sniper attacks.
1. Stockpiling helps. but you never no how long trouble will last, so locate near renewable food sources.
2. Living near a well with a manual pump is like being in Eden.
3. After awhile, even gold can lose its luster. But there is no luxury in war quite like toilet paper. Its surplus value is greater than gold's
.4. If you had to go without one utility, lose electricity - it's the easiest to do without (unless you're in a very nice climate with no need for heat.)
5. Canned foods are awesome, especially if their contents are tasty without heating. One of the best things to stockpile is canned gravy - it makes a lot of the dry unappetizing things you find to eat in war somewhat edible. Only needs enough heat to "warm", not to cook. It's cheap too, especially if you buy it in bulk.
6. Bring some books - escapist ones like romance or mysteries become more valuable as the war continues. Sure, it's great to have a lot of survival guides, but you'll figure most of that out on your own anyway - trust me, you'll have a lot of time on your hands.
7. The feeling that you're human can fade pretty fast. I can't tell you how many people I knew who would have traded a much needed meal for just a little bit of toothpaste, rouge, soap or cologne. Not much point in fighting if you have to lose your humanity. These things are morale-builders like nothing else.
8. Slow burning candles and matches, matches, matches

Last edited by Cosmic Seer; 10-20-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Cosmic Seer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #186
Peer
Avalon Senior Member

[quote=
This faraday cage-what does it block frequencies of? Heat seeking tech? Other things? Please tell more. I am thinking about constructing a shelter(large) that would use concrete and wire meshing to support it-I think it would function as the farady cage part, and want to know what technology it might block. Just musing for the future. Thanks for your wisdom.[/quote]

A Faradaycage blocks electronic frequencies but not light frequencies and heat is infra-redlight.
When your environment is well isolated it will also block warmth=infraredlight but so will an earthroof or concrete.
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #187
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

A faraday cage is complete if the sheilding material is solid. If you use a mesh, it will only filter frequencies that are longer than the "holes" in the mesh. That's is why Microwave oven doors all look the same with those little holes, the little holes are just shorter than the wavelength of the RF used to cook your food.

So: the question then becomes, what are the frequencies found in your average EMP etc.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #188
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

O.K. Historycircus, here's what I call hippie wine,..... Dandelion Wine.....2 quarts of dandelion blossoms(just the tops), 4 pounds of sugar, 3 thinly sliced oranges, 3 thinly sliced lemons, 1 package dry yeast.......Pour one gallon boiling water over dandelion blossoms in a container, let stand 3 days stirring each day, then strain. Disslove yeast in alittle warm water. Add sugar, fruit, and dissolved yeast to strained dandelion water and let stand 3 days, stirring each day. After 3 days strain again and let liquid stand for 4 weeks lightly covered. Then strain through cheesecloth and pour into wine bottles, lightly corked and relieve pressure every so often. Best if aged 6 months and enjoy!..... My hippie sayings for the day,"Make love not war", "Draft beer not students"...PEACE
Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #189
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
A faraday cage is complete if the sheilding material is solid. If you use a mesh, it will only filter frequencies that are longer than the "holes" in the mesh. That's is why Microwave oven doors all look the same with those little holes, the little holes are just shorter than the wavelength of the RF used to cook your food.

So: the question then becomes, what are the frequencies found in your average EMP etc.

A..
So you could stick all your stuff in the mircowave and it would be safe??
As long as you dont turn it on

If your in UK or Oz and you had a old one you could take out the fuse and leave it plugged in then its still earthed and your kit is safe????
Old 10-22-2008, 01:36 AM   #190
Shellie
Banned

Cosmic Seer, that was a great list!
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:32 AM   #191
historycircus

I second that Cosmic Seer - fantastic list for all of those who can remain where they are in coming times.

For those anticipating leaving their current situations at the onset of whatever - especially urban dwellers - this list will definately need a bit of pruning. Perhaps that is a way we could steer the discussion here - the development of mobility kits - beyond medical care.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 AM   #192
Lance
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
A friend of mine is a diabetic, he has a years supply of insulin and loads of chocolate
Get your friend to go on the 'Simpson Oil' diet...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjhT9282-Tw

And they won't NEED insulin, I've freed a few...
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #193
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Thx Lance he is reading this thread
Old 10-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #194
mr.komie
Avalon Senior Member

hi guys and gals, just to let u know that i recently saw adverts for a new water filter bottle. portable filtration of up to 4000lt or 6000lt. the LIFESAVER bottle is great and filters everything down to virus size particles. i searched the web for the best price and global gizmos came up with £20+ cheaper than the manufacturers so i thought woohoo ill have 2. that was 2 months ago and they do NOT respond to emails or phone calls.

with everything thats going on, u dont need the grief like i have. be warned....

Last edited by mr.komie; 10-22-2008 at 02:44 PM.
mr.komie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #195
Swanny
I dont need a label !

I have this water filter
http://www.trailspace.com/news/2006/...dyn-vario.html
Old 10-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #196
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread yet.
It's ok having a stock of supplies to see you through IF the **** hits the fan, remember others will want what you have, so it would be a good idea to have materials availiable to be able to block up windows and doors etc.
You only need one working door to enter and leave your property.
Just imgine you were leaving your house for 5 years and wanted to make sure no one got in, you would board up windows and screw doors shut.
Get your self some 18mm ply wood and some 4x2 timber, some 4" screws, a good battery drill/driver.
Your home needs to be your fortress dont make it easy for them to get in
Old 10-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #197
Peer
Avalon Senior Member

How about not leaving your house for five years or your survival cellar and when you try to get out discover they build a whole new block upon your ceiling?
Stop blocking in.

Go out and share and be part of a community because you cannot survive alone.
Imagine sitting in your safeplace with just your family day in day out and not being able to avoid meeting eachother.
Go out and share what you have with everybody else and there will be abundance.

Feel how you folks get more and more tight up about things.
Imagine eating canned ravioli for five years.

Forget those Hollywoodhorrorscenarios and befriend your neighbours because those are the ones you're gonna need or get together with the people you meet here that live closest to you.
See what you can do together.

Make an index of what abilities you have.
You cannot do everything alone so you need others with other abilities and share.

Do NOT exchange or think how much you can gather or make profit.
That time is definitly over and if you are still not aware of the results of barring doors and trying to survive on your own go out and look around you and see that this mentality has ruïned the world, relationships, environment, made species go extinct and brothers kill eachother.

Go ahead and bar your doors and your windows from the inside and I will come to help you and bar them from the outside as well.
If you really want to bar something out:
Bar your fears.

Remember the worst thing that ever happened to you.
You survived didn't you?
Then why shouldn't you survive now?
Afraid to loose what you have now?
Is it really yours to begin with?

Go out and spread the news: The word is SHARING and not owning or holding onto what you have now, it wasn't enough anyway was it?

SO SHARE AND LIVE IN ABUNDANCE.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #198
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Yea good point
I wont want to stay here, I'll pack my stuff and hit the road, see who I can find.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #199
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Dont forget that there are some bad people out there that wouldn't care whether if live or die as long as they get food. These people will take the easy option everytime.
Some people have children that they want to protect and help survive so self protection is a good thing to have.
Making your house a safe place is better than being thrown out on the streets with nothing.
Then at least you have a base from which you can feed your family and work with others from.

But this isn't going to happen anyway
Old 10-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #200
Peer
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
Dont forget that there are some bad people out there that wouldn't care whether if live or die as long as they get food. These people will take the easy option everytime.
Some people have children that they want to protect and help survive so self protection is a good thing to have.
Making your house a safe place is better than being thrown out on the streets with nothing.
Then at least you have a base from which you can feed your family and work with others from.

But this isn't going to happen anyway
Those people are there now too. They are the cause of what is happening right now.
Hiding for those couple of robbers is nothing compaired to what is going on now.
Making your house a safeplace will only draw their attention.

Being out in the open and knowing how to survive is always better than being a sitting duck but then again there is a time for evey purpose under heaven:
You may find a group you can join and start an community or become part of one.
Chances to survive by staying alone in your house are zilch because if it happens it won't be for five years but for generations to come.
You will have to deal with it, whether you like it or not.
Hoping it will pass by your door is like trying to arrest Katarina and bring her to justice before she hits New Orleans.

Last edited by Peer; 10-23-2008 at 03:03 PM.