Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
Sol Invictus
Banned

Default Survival fishing. Fish trap.

I have full permission to reproduce this work here on this board by its original creator, and have been asked only to share it about freely. I used to know him via a group of us who used to go off into the wilds for a week at a time and just practise practise practise.

################################################## ##
This is not just a SITX idea, but for all those times when times might be hard and a few fresh fish would go down a treat as 'extras' on the table.

This idea is super cheap, effective, and so simple to make its actually real fun. The end result is a fish trap that makes lines almost redundant if you get one of these up and running.

(I tried and tested this out on a private river, and do not know the legality of these in countries where you may read this, so if you use it, check first!).

So what do we need?

1 large float.
2 pieces of say 3 feet by 2 feet wooden / plastic board.
for the top and bottom.
5 pieces of 2 by 2 for the vertical supports.
A large roll of fine mesh chicken wire.
Some single strand wire.
1 old coke bottle.
A few yards of twine / rope / para cord for an anchor and retrival means.
Some cammo netting if you have it, if not, use natural available cammo i.e. leaves and dirt / branches.

So, heres what we do.

We place one board on the floor and attach our pieces of two by two at ech corner and one in the centre like so.

We then mesh three side of it like so....

and taking our coke bottle as a guide size, we make a mesh funnel, and then with our final side we cut out the hole and attach the funnel as so....

We then have a trap looking like this, which just needs baiting and a lid on it!

So, for the lid, we just seal it down tight, adding a float so it doesn't sink to the bottom (unless you want crabs or lobster / crayfish of course!) and then throw our camouflage over it. We then secure it with our rope, and then leave it be for a few days.

Believe me when i say you will not believe how many fish you have inside your trap once you go back to check it.

I did this in a private river, and i kid you not I got dozens, a larder full in one sitting. Great for leaving be at coming back at a later time for a table full of food.

################################################## #

Possibly the easiest, quickest to build and most effective trap i have ever come across. I have tried it, and it works so well i almost felt guilty about it when i hauled in nearly 30lb of fish (returned almost half, ate and shared the rest).

Last edited by Sol Invictus; 10-05-2008 at 06:15 AM. Reason: made image insertyion mistake
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Sol Invictus
Banned

Default Re: Survival fishing. Fish trap.

hahahaha I take it then this sin't quite the type of knowledge you want or need here on the boards.

I'll forget about writing a whole survival guide for you all then.

You got the plants and pine needle tea, got a guide for a fish trap, now thats your lot.

I'll not waste time or effort again - 20 views and not one reply or any comment at all tells me this isn't what you folks want to see.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
FrostyMcunicron
Avalon Senior Member

Location: a box in the inner city w. a slight chance of suburbia New Jersey

good thing i never leave home without my handy roll of chicken wire...
FrostyMcunicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
Bobcat
Avalon Senior Member

Hiya Sol, Good idea m8. That would work a treat

I use a rabbit snare and pull them out by the tail

Thanks for the post and a real good idea bro.

Kindest regards

Bobcat
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
martine
Avalon Senior Member

Hi i think this sort of thing is exactly what we need on here. There is so much information in this forum that it is hard to sort through it! do you think that this sort of thing would work in the ocean? I am a street back form the beach and if the proverbial hit the fan I would like to make use the ocean for food.
Thank you for your input.
martine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
Steve_G

Don't take it personally Sol, most people are probably still trying to recover from the trauma of Bill Deagle's phone call.

Excellent design, nice one dude.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Sol Invictus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martine View Post
Hi i think this sort of thing is exactly what we need on here. There is so much information in this forum that it is hard to sort through it! do you think that this sort of thing would work in the ocean? I am a street back form the beach and if the proverbial hit the fan I would like to make use the ocean for food.
Thank you for your input.
Works wonders in the ocean. Just bait it, throw in some rocks to keep it on the ocean floor and leave it. Crabs, small fish, eels, you'll get the lot.

Just remember where you left it thats all.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
Sol Invictus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyMcunicron View Post
good thing i never leave home without my handy roll of chicken wire...

Then go buy some, and some wire snips, and a whole lot of duct tape. Add to that list some fishing hooks, 20lb fishing line and a good solid knife. Add in a fire starting kmit and a poncho shelter set, and your all set for life out doors.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
zuni

aloha, i don´t eat fish, maet or chicken but i am happy to have your servival news......i can use all the servival tips you are willing to share ......
thanks......
Old 10-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
333mark333
Avalon Senior Member

Location: The Western Shore of the Hudson Bay-churchill, manitoba, canada

Being a herbalist and survival practitioner- i appreciate what you are doing, there may indeed come a time when people may use this. Let us hope they will have total recall of your Threads

brother mark
333mark333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
recallone
Avalon Senior Member

Great post! Thank you for sharing!
recallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #12
sunnyrap
Avalon Senior Member

I've been doing the vegan way, myself, for some time, but have recently learned another way of viewing the eating of meat. I am a member of a Native online group to gain more information and insight on native culture (I figured I needed to honor my representative portion of Cherokee genes). I loved their spiritual approach to eating fish or meat when they had to: they did it with great reverance and gratitude to the animal they consumed, and considered it a way of participating/experiencing in the spirituality of that species--and of giving that species a way of experiencing participating with the human way. These days, I'm thinking what you do/choose is less important than how you do/choose...i.e., with what heart and spirit.
sunnyrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:31 AM   #13
Sol Invictus
Banned

I only ever take what i need to eat and free the rest. Never take more than you need, as those you let go will be the ones who continue to restock the very waters you fish.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:18 AM   #14
bosr
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Sol I

Just saw your thread for the first time.

Post and they will come.
bosr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:42 AM   #15
pilot
Avalon Senior Member

Excellent post, I love practical solutions, esp. if it involves being handy!

I assume this would work in a lake or any body of water, no?
How deep did you have it floating in the river? An what kind of floats you use?

Thanks!
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:43 AM   #16
Sol Invictus
Banned

So you are in a remote area, and your starting to get settled in. You have your shelter, you have you water, but now it comes to the crunch. You need food.

Theres a river near by, but theres not enough people in your group to have one stood by a river bank all day catching death of cold or sunburn.

So what to do ?

Well, first off select your location. A bend in the river where water slows down is a great place to start - slower water means safer fishing and easier trap placement. It also narrows the choice of route for a fish to travel through the water.

So, a bendy stretch with some over hanging greenery is ideal for our needs as shade makes fish come closer to the surface and feel safer.
Heres an example of what I am talking about in the picture above.

So we know where we aim to place our trap. Now lets build it.

First off we need to know roughly how deep the water is - so we wde out with a measuring stick and mark off the depth.

Next, we need six solid shafts of wood that are say 15 % longer than our depth marker. Trim these down and sharpen one end to form a stake.

Now, taking three of these stakes lash them together to form a tripod or tee pee construction.

So we have the foundations for our fishing trap. Here we get out from our bob either some 25 Lb fishing line or para cord, which ever you prefere. I have used both with alot of success. We attach this to both of the tripods securely.

We then get some more line and hooks (of course I assume every body has fishing hooks in their survival kit - if not, why not ?) and make three or four free hanging lines along the length of our top wire. Make them different lengths and different baits to ensure maximum exposure to all fish types if you can.

These will dangle freely in the water and can be baited and lured to what ever specs you see fit. I would use a combination of fly and shiny lures. Best of both worlds this way.

Avoid weighting them too heavy as they will just present a straight line in the water to a fish, and that can spook them, instead try for a mid river sink, or no weights at all just hooks and bait.

Taking the entire trap out into the water and planting it firmly into the river bed we will end up with some thing along these lines. A trap thats both covert in nature, and able to be left alone for a few hours at a time, leaving you free to focus on other tasks. the simple beauty of it is also that it can be left in situ for a large amount of time and become a feature of the river to fish.. thus making them lazy and complacent.

So, I hope thats some thing you can relate to and possibly mull over whilst prepping yourself for what evers coming down the pipeline.

Now, do note that the trap is entirely under the surface of the water for a number of reasons.

1) it creates no surface disturbance, thus giving it an element of covertness - if a person cannot see it they will not be alerted to your presence.

2) Fish will swim near structures, but avoid structures that break the skyline unless its absolutely neccessary or there is a source of food near by. This makes the fish get used to the trap and thus will more likely take the bait offered.

3) The water itself camouflages our suspend line. if the line was above the water it would caste a glaring shadow in sunlight on the surface. Fish avoid this like the plague and you will catch nothing at all.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:45 AM   #17
Sol Invictus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Excellent post, I love practical solutions, esp. if it involves being handy!

I assume this would work in a lake or any body of water, no?
How deep did you have it floating in the river? An what kind of floats you use?

Thanks!

You can use this as a bottom feeder trap, weigh it for mid depth, or even have it as a surface trap, and use it in a lake, river, pond... what ever water you have near by that has fish in it really.

As for what float? I have an old dinghy float for mine, but in the past I have used empty plastic milk bottles wrapped in camouflage netting, all depending on what was to hand.

Last edited by Sol Invictus; 10-06-2008 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Mis spelt alot of words.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:53 AM   #18
pilot
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyrap View Post
I've been doing the vegan way, myself, for some time, but have recently learned another way of viewing the eating of meat. I am a member of a Native online group to gain more information and insight on native culture (I figured I needed to honor my representative portion of Cherokee genes). I loved their spiritual approach to eating fish or meat when they had to: they did it with great reverance and gratitude to the animal they consumed, and considered it a way of participating/experiencing in the spirituality of that species--and of giving that species a way of experiencing participating with the human way. These days, I'm thinking what you do/choose is less important than how you do/choose...i.e., with what heart and spirit.
Hi Sunnyrap,

I once read a story about an Indian youth being taught to hunt by an elder. They were watching deer that would move into a meadow each morning to feed. One young buck was lame so it was decided to take him. The youth had to watch him daily on his going about the meadow. They noticed each morning he paused at the same location on the edge of the meadow to scan the area for predators. It was decided the youth would be in the tree he paused under for a surprise attack the next morning. All went as planned, but the youth found that after watching the deer for many days and learning his habits, he felt a kinship, and taking his life was extremely emotional for him. The elder said that when the youth could feel this compassion for every living thing, he will have learned the great truth.

We are all one.

How many people would eat meat if they had to actually hunt and kill it? I've always wondered if I could - I have never hunted, but in survival mode, things change I presume. I think that it's WAY more ethical than factory farming and hellish slaughterhouses for sure.

Peace.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:55 AM   #19
historycircus

I go fishing with my kids almost every weekend - cold or not. I have the stuff on hand to try it, and will do so next Saturday. I swear I'll try it, and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:01 AM   #20
pilot
Avalon Senior Member

Great Thanks Sol,

I'll be trying this out, got the materials laying about and it does sound like fun-I can even picture a spot for the trap in a bend shaded by trees down at the river.

It would be nice to get a little mess of fresh fish before it gets too cold around here.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #21
Sol Invictus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post

How many people would eat meat if they had to actually hunt and kill it? I've always wondered if I could - I have never hunted, but in survival mode, things change I presume. I think that it's WAY more ethical than factory farming and hellish slaughterhouses for sure.

Peace.
Me. I take what i need and nothing more. There is gratitude for natures bounty, but no kinship between me and my prey, only a respect for what it has given me, and that is the chance to watch another sun rise with a full belly.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:48 AM   #22
Equalitor
Avalon Senior Member

Hey Sol, very nice thread you posted! Such survival skills are always very important. I will try this out too one day. What would have come in handy is perhaps an unpermanent opening modification, to invite either bigger or smaller fishes into the trap. But I see the positive sides of having a medium opening! That way the small fishes could grow up and the largest reproduce themselves [when the time is ready]. Perhaps one could try different openings now and then, but not empty the river completely. Only if one had very big hunger...

Those interested in survival should really join our survival group with the fancy name "Dark side of the Moon"! See my profile if uncertain.

Spiritual, as well as physical survival will be a sure way for "success" :]
-Eq
Equalitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:23 AM   #23
Sol Invictus
Banned

Hi equalitor.

reason for a medium sized opening is that small fish need to escape, grow and reproduce so we can have catches year after year.

Large fish that will possibly eat all the other fish in there will not want to go into such a small space.

medium? thats lunch

But good point, and yes of course you can scale it upwards or downwards - make a small scale version for great live bait for your heavy lines.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:47 AM   #24
sakuna
Avalon Senior Member

This fish trap looks very much like a traditional Maori "hinaki" or eel trap still widely used today, originally was a conical shaped basket weaved from flax.
Nice1 Sol
Best regards
sakuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #25
Swamisalami
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
Hi equalitor.

reason for a medium sized opening is that small fish need to escape, grow and reproduce so we can have catches year after year.
Thats not entirely true.

Big fish lay more eggs and produce more offspring.

It is wise to take what you need, not more. Take fishy from different size, different year of birth. In this case the stock will renew itself in a good way. Sometimes small fishies like to put their sperm on the eggs of BIG woman. The can do so because they are small and dont pose a threat to them big males. Who told you fish weren't smart?

Its pretty difficult to explain it but if you take only the big ones the rest of the population will start to reproduce earlier and the offspring will be smaller. If you do so for many years the stock will eventually collapse. Some peoples call it survival-evolution.

If you want to catch shrimp a simple way to do it goes as follows. Take a good handful of small branches and tie, in the middle, them together with a piece of rope. Not to fast, not to loose. Put a small stone in it so it will sink to the bottom. As bait you can put in some meat or worms. Shrimp like these places to hide in and eat. Throw it in the water and check it every day, renew the bait and try different ones. You never now what the shrimpies like. If you pull it out dont be to slow, shrimps are VERY fast, dont do it to fast, shrimps belong in the water not in the trees.

Another way to do it is with a strong plastic bottle. Saw of the bottleneck a glue it upside down back in the bottle. Then saw off the bottom and make it that way you open en close it at will. Punch (or heat up a nail) holes in the bottle so the fresh water can circulate. Put some rope and bait on/it and throw it in the water and wait. If you have enough bottles you can make a string. You would be suprised of the amount of shrimps you can catch this way. Make sure the opening of the bottles is big enough for the species you want to catch. Even fishy will swim in to it if the opening is wide enough.

Good fishing to you all.

Love, Luck and Light to you all
Swamisalami is offline   Reply With Quote