Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 09-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #26
NorCal Avenger

Default Re: The power of music to awaken us / Tool the band?

I don't know if Tool can awaken us, but I can tell you that their videos are rad. The parabola video has a kundalini rising event at the end, and it's almost identical to what I've experienced with kundalini. It's near-perfect.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #27
thedarke
Avalon Senior Member

I would recommend all their c.d.s. It is like an evolution of music and deeper meaning within their lyrics, and each c.d. and song usually has some connection with the next. Some songs you may say what the F***, but many if you listen and read the music has many metaphsycal and spritual connections and meanings. Their last c.d. "10,000 days" was based on Maynard's (lead singer) mom and her faith and her beliefs before she passed, but is also an extension of their previous C.D. Lateralus.
thedarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #28
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

Does anybody know what is the meaning behind the title 10,000 days? Or what it could possibly referr to.
Orion Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #29
EYES WIDE OPEN
Avalon Senior Member

radiohead - in rainbows, particularly the track reckoner is just beautiful

I love the words "dedicated to all human beings"
EYES WIDE OPEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:29 PM   #30
thedarke
Avalon Senior Member

10,000 days refers to Maynard's mother and how long she struggled with a disease before she passed away. His mother was very religous and a few of the songs are about his mother and her connection to the divine and her strong beliefs.
thedarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #31
11:11
Avalon Senior Member

Marie is the middle name of Keenan's deceased mother, Judith Marie Garrison. As Keenan explains in his commentary on A Perfect Circle's aMOTION DVD, she suffered a stroke that left her partially paralyzed and wheelchair-bound. The length of time between the paralysis and her death was 27 years, or approximately 10,000 days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10000_days
11:11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #32
DoctorWho
Avalon Senior Member

To also know Tool's main musical influence, look up King Crimson.
Bill "the Doctor"
DoctorWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:31 AM   #33
SirKnight
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The power of music to awaken us / NEW AGE MUSIC

OK kids; I say kids cause I am from the generation of the 60's & 70's.
The 80's was my exposure to any sense of awakening. Many new age composers knew deep within themselves what the music was for. Here are some great examples;

Danna & Clement - A Gradual Awakening & Summerland
Kitaro;
John Serrie - And the stars go with you, deep starship and many others
Larry Leeder - View from the summit, Ascent, etc.
Kevin Braheny - Galaxies & my favorite - The Way Home/Perelandra
Constance Demby - Novus Magnificat & Sacred Space Music
Ray Lynch - The Sky Of Mind & Deep Breakfast
Michael Stearns - Floating Whispers
Raphael - Music To Disappear In & Disappearing Into You
Richard Stoltzman - Pie Jesu & New York Counterpoint
Aeoliah - The Light Of Tao

Hey, remember tapes, I still have them.

If you want to learn how to live from the heart and shut down that drunken monkey we call the mind, these can help.

Last edited by SirKnight; 09-14-2008 at 02:58 AM.
SirKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:37 AM   #34
Bigfatfurrytexan
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Morris View Post
I have always listned to many different types of music. I have worked at an independent music store for most of my college years. One thing that always facinated me was the freedom that musical artists were allowed to have. I do not know what anybody here thinks of the band TOOL but their songs have really helped me validate my own feelings. The song 46 and 2 for instance is about us as humans haveing 46 chromosomes and our spiritual awakening would cause us to gain 2 more. Then the art work on most of their c.d's portrays Alex Greys interpretation of our spirits evolution through love. Their are countless other artests that I have come across that specifically speak of the time were in right now, Sweatshop Union has wonderful lyrics along with Sage Francis who are both hip hop artists. I figure that the reason they are allowed to put those types of lyrics widely distributed records is because they figure that 99% percent of the people will not understand what the artist is really saying. I also read about how Tool synchronizes its rythems to the specific beat of our souls and the universe. Some really incredible stuff, and I was just wondering what anybody else thought about music facilitating our awakeing
I am a HUGE Tool fan. 46 and 2 is my favorite song by them, along with Aenima. Another good one for me is Omega by Stone Sour.

I can wholly understand the likening of music and spirituality. I take music very seriously, and allow it to effect my soul on such a level. Opera is a good example (Nessun Dorma....wow). I also like the more ethereal beats and rhythms of the Deftones. As well, Limp Biskit's "Rearranged" and "Behind Blues Eyes", as well as the "B" side of Pearl Jams "10" album (especially Oceans and Garden...and Black off the "A" side).

BTW, I lived in Laramie, WY for a year (helped run a call center up there after we reopened it in 2003). Very cold, but mind numbingly beautiful. I love Vedawoo (not sure i spelled that right). Very mysterious looking mountains. And the food in Laramie was spectacular.
Bigfatfurrytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #35
John aka#404
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
The Song Lateralus for instence

This is a song I don't think anyone can interpret to its full extent. I do agree, however, that it is about feeling and exploring the supernatures of life. It is easily one of Tool's best musical experiences (who can really go ahead and call it a song?). It has so many layers, through its musical complexity and concepts.

The drummer and Maynard use fibonacci number sequences within their playing/singing throughout Lateralus. My own interpretation of Lateralus, is about searching for the next level of living and consciousness, through spirituality and other planes (ie the ASTRAL plane, which I strongly believe is a theme within songs such as parabol/parabola).

Many lines within the song are quite obvious as to what they are about once you have an understanding of what [I think] the great Maynard James Keenan is expressing. For example, "...to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human" is about the number phi appearing throughout life and throughout the Universe, which is also known as the golden ratio, and is believed by some (obviously Maynard) that it has spiritual and eternal meaning, and the aforementioned line is talking about entering a new plane or becoming one with the inter-connection of all Universes, while still walking the Earth as a human. In general, this song is about searching for a gateway to this divine place within our life and the evolution of humanity.

Everything is explained and backed up in the music as well, which is a reason Tool are so amazing. For example when Maynard's voice disolves into the guitar solo/EXTENTION OF THE SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE in the line, "..to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human", and the lines that lead up to "we'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been", when the bass is sliding up, as if animating the rest of the piece, provoking thoughts of reaching a new level of being.

I think you'll find this cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZ...eature=related

-John aka#404
John aka#404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #36
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

that is amazing

thanks for sharing it

susan
the eXchanger
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #37
SynchrOMicity
Avalon Senior Member

Location: S.KY Foothills of the smokey's on a big lake,110 miles from any major city in a vortex

Man I AM havin to much fun! I have studied music - lyrics for many years! Let me ask Whom or what is the source of so much awsome in-spir-ation? Go look up any old Moody Blues or Yes, or for that fact Smash Mouth "25 yrs ago we broke out of recession and oppression and together we toked out around the campfire just a signing and a clapen, what the hell happened? Some were spell bound some were hell bound some fell downand some got back up and fought against the melt down and thier kids are hippie chicks or hypocrites etc etc. Go look up: The other side of life by the Moody Blues and read the words! I have hundreds of artistes all saying the same thing!
He who hath an ear let him hear! Peace and keep listening.
SynchrOMicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:47 AM   #38
recallone
Avalon Senior Member

Definitely Tool. As mentioned by bigfatfurrytexan, (great moniker, btw) Aenima is an amazing song"...learn to swim", indeed.
Another song that really stands out in terms of lyrical content is Blue. I know its from A Perfect Circle, but I'm pretty sure Maynard wrote it too. I didn't really know what it was about the first time I heard it. Actually, the first 20 or so times that I heard it! Same with 46 and 2, though. Use the above link, scope these lyrics, and be blown away (if you've never heard it - be blown away again if you have). Just listen without looking at the video first. If you're still confused, the video should give you a clearer picture. I doubt it'll be necessary, though. I'll let you experience it without a preface.
Peace.

BLUE
I didn't want to know
I just didn't want to know
Best to keep things in the shallow end
Cause I never quite learned how to swim

Didn't want, didn't want,
Didn't want, didn't want

Close my eyes just to look at you
Taken by the seamless vision
I close my eyes,
Ignore the smoke,
Ignore the smoke

Call it aftermath, she's turning blue
Such a lovely color for you
While I just sit and stare at you

Because I don't want to know
I didn't want to know
I just didn't want

Mistook their nods for an approval
Just ignore the smoke and smile

Such a perfect color for your eyes
While I just sit and stare at you

I don't want to know
recallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:50 AM   #39
recallone
Avalon Senior Member

A nice video presentation/explanation of 46 and 2 is HERE.
Enjoy.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #40
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you recallone! That 46 and 2 video was really neat. I enjoyed it thuroughly and would reccomend all to watch it!!! Very very cool stuff.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #41
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

recall one... I couldnt get the Blue video to play? I am not sure that I am fully understanding what the song is about. What is your opinion of it?
Old 09-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #42
recallone
Avalon Senior Member

It's about Mother Earth.
"...I'm taken by the seamless vision..."

And our apparent disregard for her health.
"Just ignore the smoke and smile"

And just like how so many of you are finding out when you try to tell people about the situation we're in.
"I just didn't want to know
Best to keep things in the shallow end
Cause I never quite learned how to swim"

Love and light, warriors. Maintain your vibration. Your world is counting on you.
Peace.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #43
doodah
Avalon Senior Member

This isn't about Tool, but it's about the power of music.

Did anyone ever see the movie, "The Weeping Camel"? It's an amazing film shot in Mongolia, a real-time story of a brown camel that has a white calf. She rejects the calf, won't nurse it. The poor little guy keeps trying to get his mother to take care of him, but she keeps walking off and rejecting him.

The villagers call for a shaman. He arrives with a chair and a musical instrument. Over the course of an afternoon he plays this instrument and chants, and a woman in the village pets and sings to the mother camel. The instrument is very unusual. The sounds it makes are very similar to the sounds the camel makes. By the end of the day, all the tension and discord is gone from the animal, the little white calf is happily nursing, and the mother camel is crying.

I've had a vision that the indigos may be able to naturally do this kind of thing to help reach the love inside many people.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #44
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

doodah, I was wondering if you ever saw the work of Dr. Emoto and what he did with music and water. I have not seen that movie but I will try to since I love music so much.
Thank you and much love!!!

Check out those videos that recallone posted... They are incredible!
Old 09-16-2008, 12:14 AM   #45
doodah
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
doodah, I was wondering if you ever saw the work of Dr. Emoto and what he did with music and water. I have not seen that movie but I will try to since I love music so much.

Thanks, Orion. Very old computer here, will have to download videos next time I go to the library. Once a week I take the beaver pelts [money] to the trading post [grocery store] and get coffee, flour, and sugar [organic foods], and go the library.

Not sure of Emoto, unless he's the guy who did photographs of how water crystallizes in various shapes, depending on the energy you send it. Will have to check this out further.

Last edited by doodah; 09-16-2008 at 12:16 AM.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:35 AM   #46
Kahunamahalo
Avalon Senior Member

Zappa, he called it like he saw it.
Kahunamahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #47
daytuner
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkbpXRSIUnE

Daytuner
"The essence of matter constituting the Universe is a soundwave that crystallizes into light"
daytuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:38 PM   #48
J.Black
Avalon Senior Member

Greetings All,

I've lurked around Camelot, and now here for some time now, not sure why I haven't posted thus far, but for about the last 3 months on what I feel is my spiritual awakening, tool seems to be just about all I can listen to. Glad to see it's not just me who feels this way.

Right in two, is fantastic as is forty-six and two. Also, A Perfect Circle is very powerful music, I would suggest both to anyone.
J.Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:09 AM   #49
SomeDoTheKnowledge...
Avalon Senior Member

If you like hip hop you should check out: KRS-One, Talib Kweli, Immortal Technique, Dilated Peoples, Rza!! & Gza(Wu-Tang Clan), The Roots, Planet Asia, Pharaoahe Monch, Non Phixion, Dead Prez, House Of Pain.

Those and more have "guided my spiritual evolution" to a large degree!!

I shall check out TOOL!!!
SomeDoTheKnowledge... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:46 AM   #50
ADAM KADMON
Avalon Senior Member

My experience with Tool was as a young man. They were my "favorite" at the time. Naturally, I eventually discovered that despite their obvious enlightenment and understanding their music was indeed "dimming" overall.

As cryptic as Parabola may be, they also have a song called "Prison Sex" and I quote a lyric which states: "This sh**, blood and c*m on my hands," from that track. That type of composition doesn't promote healing if you know what I mean...

Only a small understanding of music will suffice, and perhaps a bit of intro-observation after listening.

I think of them now as a Gateway band. They are attuned to the vibration a "spiritual teen" may be experiencing. And then thus impart a line of thinking that goes deeper than whatever little-kim, or jazzy-j is singing about...

Later, the fortune majority will outgrew them and found much greater fulfillment in Beethoven, Mozart and the likes. Beethoven's music ALSO uses the "golden ratio" and sacred number sequences. Many of his compositions were composed after bird's songs for example. And most people would agree that Beethoven's greatest pieces, were done after the man went deaf! He said, it was only after he has lost his hearing that he could truly "hear the music" (of the spheres).

And so, there is a time and place for Tool. But if you listen too long, without absorbing some Mozart from time to time, you might find yourself with the same feeling you get when you deprive yourself of sunlight.

Adam K.
ADAM KADMON is offline   Reply With Quote