Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Spirituality

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #401
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The ego what is it? How to transcend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by micjer View Post
Chris this resonates with the Dannion Brinkley story. Struck by lightning and dead for over 20 minutes, he experienced much of what you speak of.
Thanks for you input micjer which is much appreciated.
The mystical is a challenge to the intellect because it is not measurable,
The intellect is the wrong instrument much like trying to measure water or air with a ruler.
Yet there is much anecdotal evidence of the nonlinear non-dualistic -Oneness -the province of the mystic.
Those who have experienced coming back from clinically proven death have a fairly uniform story.

love your DH quote below,

At some point, the illusion breaks down and the opening for the start of the spiritual quest commences. The quest turns from without to within and the search for answers begins."

Dr.David Hawkins
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #402
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

In today's session I was asked to process out opposing attitudes of "Superiority -op- Inferiority". We had previously been processing different shades of "Sorrow" with much success (I wake up naturally happy now -- a big switch for me).

By the end of the session I imaged myself being a simple "me" hovering above the planet and suddenly all these other simple "me"s joined me and we were all so happy to be simple and free of any ranking system.

I also saw how subtle and tricky the ranking systems can be inculcated into even the most noble of ventures, such as spiritual clearing and self-development, turning them into a status and control system.

Some of my superiority stances appeared so benign, but I wasn't going to fool myself anymore.

Tomorrow we work on "Inferiority".
Gnosis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #403
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Thats great Gnosis5
Your obviously making progress and as you say the ego is very subtle and clever.
Just being the best me that one can be is enough and thats not a comparison, by doing that you are giving everyone else the option to be the best me they can be.

My me dosent know anymore than any other me just different stuff and most of that came from other me's via books or seminars. Then me tried it for size and found what wroked for this me.
In gratitude to all the other me.
Chris
Old 02-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #404
trainedobserver
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

My understanding is that God is ...
How does one arrive at an understanding of of such a thing? I pondered this for many years while still professing my Christian faith. How does one justify a belief in one particular deity over another? Humanity has over 3500 gods and goddesses. What is the process by which a reliable determination of which one is real? They all cannot be 'real' because of their contradictory nature. godchecker.com appears to be down right now but it is an excellent source of information about humanities obsession with supernatural beings.

Quote:
So on death our soul being also electromagnetic automatically goes to the the level/realm concordant with our spiritual vibration.
Sounds like a unprovable hypothesis. Contrary to folk belief there is no scientific evidence for the existence of a soul, spirit, or any ethereal component in a human being. The whole 21 gram thing is nonsense. Logic would dictate that if a soul or spirit existed there would no need for the brain. In all myth and legend the soul contains the personality, memory, and so forth of a human being. These things have been proven to be the domain of the brain. When the brain is physically altered the personality and memory of an individual is altered. I cannot personally justify such a belief.
trainedobserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #405
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Dear trainedobserver
I can understand that you want verifiable proof before you accept anything as being true.
I can only refer you to the teaching of Dr Hawkins.

He claims that kinesology testing confirms that his teachings and subjective experience is true. I believe him.

He has spent twenty years researching spiritual truth and many other things with hundreds of volunteers using the technique. The answers were scientifically tested and found to be correct. As a bench mark facts of which the answers given by the test were not know to the test subjects were proven to be correct. Kinesology is accepted as a reliable muscle test the pioneer work done br Dr Diamond.
Hawkins found that the answers were not coming from subconscious but from the field of consciousness in which everything with out exception has been recorded since time began, similar to the statement that "Not one hair on your head is left uncounted" Even when the volunteer was unaware of the question ie put in a sealed envelope on their solar plexus, the answer was correct.

The answers come as true or not true to an affirmative statement. The muscle goes weak as a not yes.

Dowsing is not of the same quality as it can be influenced by the mind.

With love
Chris
Old 02-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #406
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Challenges can be what we make of them and they can certainly be the making of us.
The life of Helen Keller is an example to all of us.
The American President, whos name escapes me for the moment, in office during the lat war had polio and dident have the use of his legs yet led the country to victory.
Winston Churchill was dyslexic yet he inspired Uk in its darkest hour.

Some will lose faith in the face of great heart break others will take comfort from it.

im just musing as thoughts come to mind.

The ego thrives on lack.

Chris
Old 02-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #407
trainedobserver
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Some will lose faith in the face of great heart break others will take comfort from it.
I don't know of anyone who would take comfort seeing their wife turned into a lump of agonized suffering flesh by a devastating chronic disease, literally caught in an absolute living hell from which the only release will be death, abandoned (not actually since he was never there in the first place) by her god, experiencing a total and complete failure of her and her husband's cherished belief system. Were someone to somehow find that 'comforting' I would question their humanity as well as their sanity.

I appreciate the discussion but I have to quit. I can't go on with this anymore.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #408
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

I am very sorry to hear of your wife's condition and I know there is nothing I can say to ease the pain. Obviously no one can take comfort from such a situation.
To be clear I meant some take comfort from whatever faith they have.

My heart goes out to you as im sure everyone who reads this will feel for you.

I will miss our conversations but I realize why in part they are painful for you.

Best wishes
Chris
Old 02-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #409
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Trainedobserver,

I am sorry to hear the great suffering your wife and yourself are going through.
Beyond our personal beliefs we are all humans and brothers and sisters on this earth.
We can share our joys and can share our pains.
And we can share our love for each other .
Stay strong during these challenging times .
You and your wife are in my heart.
I hug you.

Love for You
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #410
trainedobserver
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I am very sorry to hear of your wife's condition ...
I'm sorry I didn't make this clear, she is my ex-wife. That is all I care to say about the situation. I appreciate the kind words and thoughts.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #411
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Thats great Gnosis5
Your obviously making progress and as you say the ego is very subtle and clever.
Just being the best me that one can be is enough and thats not a comparison, by doing that you are giving everyone else the option to be the best me they can be.

My me dosent know anymore than any other me just different stuff and most of that came from other me's via books or seminars. Then me tried it for size and found what wroked for this me.
In gratitude to all the other me.
Chris

Oh, what a good laugh you gave me. So glad you understand what I was communicating. Pretty soon it will be a status symbol to be a "me". What you haven't become a "me" yet!?!? Sorry, this club's only for "me"s. But check out the "me" wannabe club next door.

Oh, I wannabe me!! (Can I bring my dog? Shush, maybe they won't notice you're a dog!).
Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #412
SteveX
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainedobserver View Post
Sounds like a unprovable hypothesis. Contrary to folk belief there is no scientific evidence for the existence of a soul, spirit, or any ethereal component in a human being. The whole 21 gram thing is nonsense. Logic would dictate that if a soul or spirit existed there would no need for the brain. In all myth and legend the soul contains the personality, memory, and so forth of a human being. These things have been proven to be the domain of the brain. When the brain is physically altered the personality and memory of an individual is altered. I cannot personally justify such a belief.
Just a brief interjection. Having had a near death experience where I briefly died after a car accident. Obviously I have a different view. I've written about the incident here www.barronbourne.blog.com (bottom of page). I can see your point of view and in all honesty and using logic, it makes sense BUT my experience shows otherwise. Neither of us can prove our point but having had such an experience I know there is adventure beyond the mortal coil. That the soul is an entity shackled to this world by our living bodies.... for better or worse.

Now.... I'm not religious and being 12 years old at the time I had no knowledge of life after death. The experience I had is in keeping with other western near death experiences. I'm also not much of a gambling man but by betting on life after death I have nothing to loose. The light is indeed groovy.
SteveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #413
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

A few days ago it was my privilege to work on my fixed emotions of sympathy. After I processed that the malnourished kitten I see out my window no longer elicits the knee jerk emotion of sympathy. How about compassion? Yes, I think that's what it is and for the first time I started leaving out food scraps and taking more of a real interest in it. Sympathy was just too ineffectual, although quite socially acceptable.

cheers!
Gnosis
Old 02-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #414
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainedobserver View Post
[snipped]
Would you like to run that by the right side of your processor?

peace,
Gnosis
Old 02-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #415
14 Chakras
Avalon Senior Member

BEyond the ego and false God outside of us, is the reality of our own true Nature ~ Divinity within ~ Oneness.

We are co-creators, we are always creating. We can't stop creating. Whatever we send out we get back. Sometimes quickly, sometimes in future lifetimes.

Life is hard here because we can't see through the veil easily so we create from our illusion of separation, from our ego, and this inevitably creates suffering.

When we realize the divinity lays within us, beyond our thoughts, and connect to it for all of our needs, including our highest inspirations, protection and health, then we will have the abundant life made manifest.

This is no easy task, the veil is very thick on this planet. However, it is time to do so, to connect to the still small voice that lives in our heart and make it our own voice. Not my will but thine be done is truly the voice of sanity.

Thinking we need to do it all by our separate self is the recipe that creates the dark age. God's will is not out side of me, it's my own higher Will. It's my enlightened Will that knows what will ultimately be of most benefit for me and all of those in this world.

The trick is understanding God is not some being outside of us that is the cause of our ups and downs, rather it is our own higher enlightened Self that we can connect to when we surrender to the stillness within Now.

Suffering has no easy explanation, but the reality is that this 3rd dimensional experience is but a drop in the bucket of eternity of our true infinite experience. This suffering will eventually be but a distant memory. We will know what it was like to feel so separate from who we really are, and to experience suffering, we will bring this experience back into the grandeur of who we really are, beyond suffering.

As Linda Baker's signature says something like: How would we know what was cool if we didn't know what sucked?

When all is said and done, the trials and tribulations of the world will give us the depth required to move up in the schoolroom of infinity and be of great help to other evolutions.

As it is prophesied: The last shall be first and the first shall be last. The apparently "lowly" humans who have Pure Hearts shall be raised up on high and the last shall be first. Whereas the apparently very advanced ET types who treat human like cattle will reap as they sew and the first shall be last.

One of the things humanity needs to learn is spiritual protection. Without it, we inevitably will be taking in energies that are not ours and they will make us sick both physically and spiritually. So much to learn, fortunately for us, the Golden Age is beginning officially Now!

My advice, seek beyond thought, beyond ego, connect to the stillness within, the presence within, and go with the Flow the River of Life that is always MORE than we "think".
14 Chakras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #416
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Dear Gnosis5
thank you for your continuing support of this thread.
May peace and the right brain prevail.

Incidentally its a medical fact that the pathways in the brain are strengthened by use and the next thought finds it easier to move along the most used path.

In simplicity the more we think positively the more we perceive events as positive.
Unfortunately the opposite also holds true.

The right brain tends to process essence -- the total picture.
The left brain is into detail and can misunderstand context and its the context that gives true meaning.

The ego cant see the wood for the tree.

The brain is like a filing cabinet and every event is analyzed as to which file it belongs in.
This process is instant and happens before the mind even registers the event.
Important information can be filtered out before the event is registered so anything which dosent fit in with current stand point / belief is not recognised as relevent.
Anything that confirms point of view is fast tracked to conscious awareness.
so there you have it.

That comes from the training received at st Annes Hospital London not from spiritual books.

Chris
Old 02-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #417
lisa
Avalon Senior Member

trainedobserver, I second the notion that objective evidence trumps subjective "feel" in establishing whether something exists or not in our material world. In the end, everyone decides for themselves what to believe in (whether it is based on actual evidence, intuitive knowing or hearsay).

Chris' idea of "God" is very different from the gods of many religions out there. He probably agrees with you that your concept of "God" is not the real deal.

The snopes link (http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp) concludes that it is inconclusive whether there is a soul or not. I tend to believe in stories like these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWCUjx4nI98

About my ego, I was able to reduce it somewhat by cleaning a filthy public outdoor bathroom. Somehow being aware of sensations throughout my body, observing my emotions and attempting to maintain equanimity while being very close to fecal matter reduced my ego. It makes me appreciate those people who clean bathrooms and messy hotel rooms everyday.

Also, for a foodie like me, being a vegetarian for > 6 months helped reduce my food cravings even though I found out that I need meat.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:44 AM   #418
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Good to see you back here on this thread 14 chakras
Your wisdom is invaluable.

Recent events have caused me to think very deeply and that takes me back to AA the staring point of spiritual quest.
I find it easy to share personal stuff because thats what you do in AA meetings.

I befriended many in AA and the help and advice received was invaluable.
Virtually everything I know is second hand but I took what resonated with me in AA, tried for size and if it worked kept it and shared it.

The main cause of alcoholics leaving AA drinking again and dying is resentment.
So the teaching in AA is that there is no such thing as a justifiable resentment.
There are people in AA from all walks of life most are kind and gentle souls who could not cope with life and got their courage / escape from the bottle pre AA.

it broke my heart to see people i loved going back on the bottle and dying.

One way or another the ego convinced them that they had it sused out after some time in AA how to stay sober with out the unconditional love expressed in the fellowship.

They would start to pick holes in the teachings that had saved millions of lives from this incurable illness. They would get resentful for one reason or another and leave.
Yes they had it figured out intellectually but had not realized that the Higher Power expressed in that unconditional love was what was keeping them sober.
Within weeks I and fellow members would be at their funeral.

"When two or more are gathered in My Name" is the source of the Power.

Alcoholism is not caused by excessive drinking, excessive drinking is a symptom of the disease. It is in part genetic.

I know exactly what I am in that respect. I am a recovering alcoholic one day at a time.
I know I dident get sober through will power, in this regard will power is a liability.

I cant afford to be intellectual and loose the relationship that I have with God or I would face a painful miserable death in short order.
The knowledge that I am powerless over alcohol keeps me relatively humble compared to the old egoic self

I rarely go to AA now as I know that God is within me.
Knowing on this level cant be intellectual.
its not theory or talking about---- it is it.

I cannot afford to carry the past with its perceived unfairness ( I dident ask to be a suicidal alki) or I loose gratitude for the moment and peace of mind.

With love
Chris
Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #419
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

hi Lisa
thank you for your input.
Chris
Old 02-10-2010, 03:14 AM   #420
14 Chakras
Avalon Senior Member

This is a great thread and I'm happy to see it continue. Personally, I most definitely nominate it as a sticky.

Chris you share some great experiences.

For me a critical understanding is that there is always More, meaning whatever works for us today, can be surpassed by a higher Truth tomorrow (or when I'm ready).

People most often have major a break through under one teaching, and then become mistakingly loyal to that teaching believing it is the only one for them, when really, the teaching that broke them through was not a full truth, as there is always more, and it keeps us going in circles rather than climbing higher on the path.

For example, there are some that have breakthrough from fundamental Christianity with some alien channeled stuff that is not the highest, but includes more truth than their former community. This may be a step in the right direction, but may not be the most truthful teaching. Just because a teaching helped me get out of the level that I was at, doesn't mean I have to be loyal to it forever. If I am loyal to it forever, I will never surpass it. Yet no outer teaching can take us into the inner kingdom of Being that is inside of us here in the eternal Now, only a full shift in consciousness beyond beliefs can do so.

The ego is always seeking to define itself based and security in not changing, security in beliefs.

Whereas the Divine within us simply BE's MORE every NOW. Continuous transcendence, no attachments, always a higher Truth. Who I was yesterday is dead. I have been reborn into who I AM today, and tomorrow, I will BE who I will BE.

No belief system to defend, just a state of dying to every Now, and Being reborn every Now.

There's always More.

For me, the real key critical trick is seeing that when I'm talking about God in me, I'm not talking about God who is separate from me, or separate from anyone here. I'm talking about my own higher Self, who I really AM.

BEyond ego is ME. I AM that I AM, that's who I really AM. Each of us is a unique individualization of the infinite, and together we are MORE, and even it appears not to be the case, the reality is we are all already One.

I would like to address why I believe people find it very difficult not to transcend their pain bodies (see Eckhart Tolle for explanation of pain bodies), addictions and momentum's of anger and depression, but this posts is quite long so I will save it. The reality is however, that there is much more going on in our world than our 5 senses show us, and spiritual protection will in the not so distant future be something that becomes as common for humanity as washing our hands to protect us from germs.

Until then, keep up the great BEING every ONE!
14 Chakras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:53 AM   #421
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks again 14chakras.

There has been a series of ah ha! moments with a continuum of teachers.
Each time the understanding has changed, perception is from a different viewpoint.
Like climbing a mountain, difference is when one thinks one is at the summit another appears out of the mist one is temporally in.
God is infinity.
Creation and evolution are one -- an on going process --
so of course you are right 14 there is more and its beyond our wildest dreams.
The potential is infinity and it dosent get much MORE than that.
To be eternal would be hell if it wasn't---- "ever new" .

I know I talk a lot about the teaching of Dr Hawkins and thats because he has stretched my thinking to the point that I know everything has too be given up.
One must be willing to die to God in order to be born again. (not born again Christian concept) no concept or belief system is required and that seems a paradox.
Hawkins died to God so he is an example that there is true life after the death of the ego.
I posted a copy of his death some time back. Only God walks through the door of enlightenment at that level, then there are other levels, another paradox. One is complete at every level but there is MORE.

I read some where that the Cosmos pulses in and out of existence every mini second, Dont know if thats true. We know nothing.

Hawkins says--- here we go again that he is not located in his body "people talk to it because thats the way it is here" thats an indication of where he is at.

I respect the teacher which is our very own self, devotion is due only to God
"Gloria in Excelsis! Deo!"

My belief is that our higher self is "The Holy Spirit"

It was never my intention that this would be my thread, and it isn't, many fine contributions, more are needed.
What you think is trivial may be important to some one else.

My dearest friend Uffe said "Only an ego would start an ego thread" and of-course as usual he is right.
Mine is still work in progress.

I would happily take a back seat if others would take over and keep this thread alive.

The subject "Transcending the ego" is vital at this time.

Thanks again 14 chakras.

PS whats a sticky?

Last edited by greybeard; 02-10-2010 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #422
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

As alluded to on the thread.
Transcending the ego or at least taming it is of crucial importance if we wish to move on from the current state of this world.

The level of spiritual awareness/intention is like an auto pilot on a ship.
You can set it to a certain direction say North turn the steering wheel and head East but the moment you let go the wheel the auto pilot will take you North again.
Similarly if you do some work on training the ego it will serve you for a while then the moment you let go of the training you will find that the selfish aspects that we all have will arise automatically and friction will occur in all relationships.
The ideal relationship is one where there is alignment of will.

In this world the ego is in control (the original meaning of the word ego is sin)
Im not religious and not fond of the idea of being judged for our sins and its not true.
(Explanation some pages back on what happens when we die.)
Jesus said "God forgive them for they know not what they do" in other words spiritually unconscious, asleep, the ego in control.

We have tried to force the world into peace for countless years, that hasn't worked and cant because its an egoic action.
If you look at the history of Nelson Mandella, Ghandi and others of the same spiritual vibration it speaks loud and clear for alignment, not force. look at how much these two achieved against all odds.
So if we want a peaceful world the we need to do what we can to personally raise our spiritual vibration. Be the change that we want to see. Others change through your example by what we do not what we say.

Meditation and all spiritual practices are good and worthwhile but when you come out of meditation and that beautiful peace then what? Does the peace remain?
If you get frustrated and angry because others dont see it your way, (of course your right arent you?) the ego is back full force.

Unless the workings of the ego are understood and surrendered to God, then spiritual progress will be slow. Eckhart Tolle said the same about understanding "The Pain Body". another name for aspects of the ego.
The mind does not have the power to transcend the ego you need Divine intervention,
if you ask for help you will get it.
The ego cant survive if the focus is kept in the Now, the Eternal moment.

Chris
Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #423
Frank Samuel
Project Avalon Moderator

Talking Re: The ego what is it? How to transcend?

As a young man finding my way and trying to understand the world around me I place to much value on self, becoming judgmental. Now as a Father of 5 children the self no longer becomes so important, the older I get the more I realized how alike we all are. The journey might takes us in different direction, our awakening process might be slower for some while for others they are awake since the moment of their birth. Patience, love, compassion and most of all humility and gratitude. The definition of Freud of Ego never took into account the spiritual self.Focus on the journey of finding your way back home and forget about other people's interpretation of self, for the self is connected to all things.It is only our perception of the illusion which divides us as individuals , thinking that we are alone, WE are never alone, WE will never be alone. So like the song says;" Don't worry be happy ".
Frank Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #424
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Frank.
Thats it be happy, as you said.

In UK the the feeling of many is that material things bring happiness.
Enough is never enough though.
Success is measured in the size of the car, the house, the type of credit card.
So important to be a "Big" man!!!

So how come on one of the many surveys the people of Bangladesh ( one of the materially poorest) came top of the happy league while USA and UK materially wealthy were much further down the scale?
Could it be that being grateful for what one has is a key factor?

The ego is never happy for long, it cant stay in the Now its by nature restless, acquisitive and inquisitive.
It wants to have a measure of success, a bench mark so it can judge how successful it is. It has to know as its so insecure.
Even if it is successful there is now a great fear of loss so there is a drive for more and more.
Chris
Ps if you are a new reader to the thread can I suggest that you read some of the other pages and please contribute.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:22 AM   #425
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

RE ego expressions, the way I decided to conduct myself is working: Instead of adding force to an idea that I consider in opposition to mine I am starting to look for the polarity, to view it as a possible polarity and seeking to merge it rather than further holding the poles apart by adding more force.

I know that makes me look like (and feel like) a naive wimp at times.