Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 10-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default U.K.-The big switch-off: A fifth of councils axe road lights to cut bills 18thoct

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cut-bills.html
We're back to the 70's power cuts n all what does this mean?! I bet the cameras won't be turned off though.
By Tamara Cohen and David Derbyshire
Last updated at 10:34 AM on 18th October 2008
One in five councils is switching off street lights at night, leaving hundreds of thousands of residents with blacked-out roads.

Nine out of 49 county councils in England and Wales have made the move, a Daily Mail investigation has found.

Dozens more are expected to follow to save money. But residents in areas affected by the Government-backed initiative say they have been left at risk from serious road accidents, crime and vandalism.
In February, the Daily Mail revealed how cash-strapped councils were leaving streets in darkness to cut energy bills and meet climate change targets, sometimes without even informing residents.

Then you get this article in the same week!!!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-commute.html
£116,000-a-year council boss allowed to work a four-day week to improve his 'life balance' ... and avoid a 120-mile commute
cont. on link above
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Default Re: U.K.-The big switch-off: A fifth of councils axe road lights to cut bills 18thoct

Makes you sick doesn't it
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
Bobcat
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: U.K.-The big switch-off: A fifth of councils axe road lights to cut bills 18thoct

Crime will go through the roof eh? More dark shadows for bad people to sneak about in !!!

They just cant do anything right!!!
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Swanny
I dont need a label !

There are no lights near my house in my street and it's ok
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
swordsmith
Unsubscribed

I hope to god they do my area soon, I hate the orange glow of mercury vapour lighting. Maybe we will be able to see the stars... OOOHHHH< wait a minute, are they putting the lights down before the big show?!
swordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

It's about the connotations attached to this-it's all hypocrisy and another fear factor move by the powers that be-another millimetre tightened on the screw really.It stinks-Power/utility bills through the roof-they increase them when they wish %40 the most recent increase then they do this!!!!!They are doin' what they wish with all of us.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsmith View Post
I hope to god they do my area soon, I hate the orange glow of mercury vapour lighting. Maybe we will be able to see the stars... OOOHHHH< wait a minute, are they putting the lights down before the big show?!
I like the idea of that swordsith always look positive mate but keep on guard with their feeble chess moves!!lol.I have a meade 8 inch reflector i maybe able to get it out soon!!??
Old 10-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #8
SpaceMonkey
Avalon Senior Member

I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the on the news. This is obviously to increase crime rates and disorder. "Divide and rule" is their motto, provoke civil unrest to keep society from unifying. And what amuses me is that they are doing it to "save the planet". Im sick of them using C02 emissions for justifying taking away our civil liberties by force feeding us "carbon footprint" this, and "carbon footprint" that. People need to realise this is one big scam!
SpaceMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
OceanWinds

excellent.... now you will be able to see the stars better!
Old 10-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
Steve_G

I'll be more than happy if my council decide to do it- I have an ugly orange sodium lamp right outside my bedroom window. I'd much rather be able to see the stars properly. I understand the whole 'cranking up the fear / guilt' factor but after a week or two without crime increasing (I don't believe it will) people will settle down.

If they're worried about being attacked in the dark I'll advise them to buy an 18" steel maglite. No hassle from the cops because it's a torch and any potential attackers are going to think twice.