Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #26
mandroid
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Bring back payed subscriptions

ok.im a new member aztar, but ive took the initiative to reply to this...

the reason im here is because of the very good project camelot interviews,,
seen a few, plan to watch some more,found the steven greer interview
of particular interest ,where bill mentions his 1981 experience.
as i had two ufo encounters of my own in 1982,this spurred me to look
up "project camelot", which linked to these forums,

i had no idea it used to be a pay forum before when i initially joined,
not until i began reading some threads here in the general section..
but i would be willing to pay a small fee or whatever it might be if required,
and probably most people who have some "personal" interest in this phenomenom would probably be willing to pay a small fee too i would have thought,

someone already mentioned maybe having a payed section running along an open section.., to me this seems like the best idea.

regards

a.
mandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #27
morganlilith
Avalon Senior Member

after spending some months reading here, i'd decided it was worth my while to join (pay for posting access). so i signed up, but the system wouldn't let me pay, lol. turns out they were in the process of switching over to free access.

i'd be more than happy to contribute $5 for access. i love that membership is free now, but i wouldn't be opposed to paying.

i do understand that $5 per month is prohibitive for some people, though, and some months it might be prohibitive for me as well.

i don't really think paid membership will keep away people who are serious about being disruptive. it will keep away casual trolls, though.
morganlilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #28
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Yes, I find it's a double edge sword...my biggest gripe is quality vs quantity, the number of threads have tripled and it's easy to get caught up with useless information, or stoop down low enough to become voyeur to a juvenile spat between rude visitors. Before I know it I've wasted 4 hrs and haven't learned a thing. I started coming PA to learn, by meeting up with people of like mind and level of consciousness.

Then again it's been nice having more people to interact with, the threads are getting a lot of views and generally good, thoughtful responses from people. Before there were days that there were only one or two pages of new posts and sometimes it wouldn't take very long to get through them. Now it can take all night if I'm not selective about what I read and comment on.
AscendingStarseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:08 AM   #29
Aztar
Avalon Senior Member

Maybe its time to rethink this
Aztar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:31 AM   #30
onawah
Avalon Senior Member

I've been a fan of Project Camelot for years and it's been a great resource for me, but I am on a fixed income, and so it was only recently that I was able to get on the Forums. I've been finding so much good info here and I would miss it if it went back to paid subscription only.
I hope that people will just use the "ignore" option more, as it would not be possible for me at present to be a paying member.
I'm sure there are others here who are sincere and have something to contribute who are in the same situation.
If the troublemakers are just ignored, I would think they would tire of their game and go find somewhere else to play. Or perhaps the rules could be made more stringent.
onawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:59 AM   #31
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onawah View Post
I've been a fan of Project Camelot for years and it's been a great resource for me, but I am on a fixed income, and so it was only recently that I was able to get on the Forums. I've been finding so much good info here and I would miss it if it went back to paid subscription only.
I hope that people will just use the "ignore" option more, as it would not be possible for me at present to be a paying member.
I'm sure there are others here who are sincere and have something to contribute who are in the same situation.
If the troublemakers are just ignored, I would think they would tire of their game and go find somewhere else to play. Or perhaps the rules could be made more stringent.
very good advise btw...welcome
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #32
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar View Post
Ok here is a thought, could we bring back payed subscription.

I have viewed this Forum for about 2 years (guesstimate) but since I have never payed to chat online (which I have been doing since the days of IRC MIRC to be exact) I never signed up, just enjoyed the information.

Project Avalon I would pay for, no doubt in my mind now.

The energy has radically changed and I mean radically as in falling from 30,000 feet and both parachutes have failed.

Not even sure what you all payed before but if it was $5 bucks a month I'd pay $10 a month just to get it back to an even flow.

This Question is for original members who existed while the pay subscription, how do you feel about this?
I don't think so.

I had too many problems with the subscription system. I don't wish to relive them.

Closing the forum again will only take away a voice that others had once again. Let the inexperienced folks post and make their mistakes, etc. The wise ones will learn and the ones who choose to travel down a path of only negativity will find themselves unable to post after a while.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:09 AM   #33
PilotSimone
Avalon Senior Member

Another vote for utilizing the Ignore List.
PilotSimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:20 AM   #34
Carrie1971
Avalon Senior Member

No..

Not....

Yeah an idea but so sorry.. Not in my area of going to do it...

While the subscription thing was going on an offer to let a person still post for a small fee was something I did do.

However if I do have funds and any extra I will make a donation to the "Project".

I do know one thing. When this was pay only it got to the point that I had to avoid just stopping in. There was just so much dark feeling to the place. I do not know if it was due to TPB looking in here, or if it was due to some other energy. It is not like it was there for a while now. A "shift" has taken place and I do not wish to experince the way it was there for a while.

"I did voice this to some of the mod's by e-mail, and was told I am not the only one who had like feelings."

IF you can give some bucks get on to the other page and hit the pay-pal button. BUT if you do have funds that is a no way you can do it action.
Carrie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #35
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar View Post

This Question is for original members who existed while the pay subscription, how do you feel about this?
I made myself clear on this not long after the falling away of having to pay to be a member. I was a lone voice at the time. It will be interestng to see if there have been changes in that thought now.

Z
edit after reading Carrie.....

yep, it's getting to the point now where I am finding it difficult to stop by.....very difficult.
Zeddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #36
Seafury
Avalon Senior Member

I paid for a subscription, mainly as a way to donate and get something for it, and never gave the forum more than a cursory glance every once in awhile because I found it to be too much fluff and not enough substance.

Now that it's free I find it way more useful and interesting with a far more diverse crowd.

No more subscribing for me.

I think the people that are having trouble adapting need to take a look at themselves. If you can't take this forum's atmosphere how the heck do you survive in day to day life? How can you possibly be a light in the darkness when you can't even stomach a forum where most of the people think the same way you do?
Seafury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #37
Swanny
I dont need a label !

When it was paid only there were some horrible bullying egos here
Good riddance to those days
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #38
swordsmith
Unsubscribed

The less rarifed atmosphere on the forum now is only a reflection of what's going on out there. Keep it real or create a sterile but stagnant backwater.
If you can't deal with it here now how are you giong to deal with it out there?
My god it was a snoooze during subscription. Maybe thats what people want, a cozy little nap.
swordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #39
Aztar
Avalon Senior Member

The points for non-subscription are well thought out and valid, was just a random thought anyway.

Cheers
Aztar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #40
pedro m.b.
Avalon Senior Member

stay free and when you can donate.
any amount is valid.
pedro m.b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #41
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorion View Post
Somebody just made a wonderful suggestion in another thread...

If there are any particularly disruptive members or anyone annoying... you just go to their profile and add them to the ignore list.

I don't think its a good idea to close the forum off again with subscription, sure there will be some negative people every now and then, but thats natural with every forum, and the mods here will take care of it anyway.

Peace
I did that with a couple of disruptive members and I can feel the freedom
Stardustaquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #42
gscraig
Avalon Senior Member

GREAT POSTS!!!....Brinty and Carmen back in 12/09.

In particularly....

Carmen wrote:
Quote:
What I have been getting lately is that it is the time of 'testing'!! Of how much or how little it takes for us to 'lose it'!! emotionally. Can we "be" the calm in the midst of the 'storm' and keep our integrity, keep our centre? Unless we are 'tested', we don't even know that ourselves! We may 'think' we know, but until something happens that tests our limits we don't know.

We have to decide ourselves, make our own choice, whether to 'be' part of the solution, or part of the problem
Please see my additional two cents below;

....The slave looks to his former master and says, "Please, place me back in these chains. For my freedom is not desired with all of the others now running amuck not knowing how to behave, and making freedom quite difficult."
Get it?

Best regards,
gscraig
gscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #43
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

We should not complain about how circumstances are not as we like them to be ...
It's a lesson .... WE are here to use the opportunity to make it like we want it to be and then move on.

It's about the path not the destination !
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #44
oxiigen
Avalon Senior Member

This reminds me on a free energy and freedom for all...
Heh, I can almost see some people who would cry to turn back time in that case! Imagine horror, where are all those good old hypnotic TV soap operas from the past...?!

Or like Dr. Brian O'Leary like to say: "The truth will set you free. But first, it will **** you off."

(edit: thank you censorbot for a 4 stars)

Last edited by oxiigen; 03-10-2010 at 01:39 PM.
oxiigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #45
K626
Avalon Senior Member

Having to pay would deter new members. If you want to have a private members club, good luck with that.
K626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #46
Harper
Avalon Senior Member

If we pay, do we get to hire our own staff, because going back to pay now would seem like a bad bargain....

Take it easy
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #47
mkspllmn
Avalon Senior Member

Are you saying that only people with money should be allowed to post or make good posts?

Only people with money are "worthy"?

Poor people should not be allowed to have a voice in this or any other society?

People with money are better than poor people?

What is you message here?
mkspllmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #48
Harper
Avalon Senior Member

Hello M

It's an historic battle of opinions in the context of avalon, it was free for a year or so when it was launched, then it went to subscription for a similar period and now its free again. I didn't agree with paying for a forum, for exactly the reasons you provide above, so I read for the year it was subscription, (which I have to say was a good experience for me) but now I can write again, and I do so much less, because I have learned, most days, to walk away from the inflamatory threads and posters. Everyone should have a self-imposed ban and learn to be expanded by restriction !!

Take care
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #49
TheChosen
Avalon Senior Member

I don't think going back to paid subscriptions is the solution.

Actually what would work better is to have an 'invite only' section where everyone can read but only those invited can post. (similar to the previous setup)

How to choose who gets invited and who does not? Simple .. we already have a group of moderators who can act as a council that would approve certain users for the invite only section and process their application... based on a set of criterias that they can agree on. This is a system that works for many communities in many different areas..

Yea it sounds elitist and looks like its out of a masonic handbook but the simple truth remains that until this place was 'paid only' only those that really cared bothered to pay (the rest who didn't have the money or means to pay, went to great lengths to have a free subscription) and contribute which resulted into much more harmonious and high energies (glad that others are also taking notice of this and I am not the only one.. some people get really upset when you tell them that certain individuals are more advanced than others... my advice to them... wake up and get over it... be honest about your place in the universe... yea at a certain level we are all one, but not in this 3D density)

Last edited by TheChosen; 03-10-2010 at 04:16 PM.
TheChosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #50
Swanny
I dont need a label !

I'm glad there are no plans to go back to subscriptions
We've been there and it didn't work.
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote