Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Default NASA prepares to bomb the moon...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...the-world.html
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
sleepingnomore

Default Re: NASA prepares to bomb the moon...

I saw this on the net a few days ago and couldn't believe it.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

...and of course I'm not buying the official reason why they are going to do that....
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi sleepingnomore,

Not wanting too much to blow my own trumpet (too much! ).

I posted about this in January and back then people didn't beleive it was going to happen or were preocupied about it also...

http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=10533

I got the launch date wrong, but it's on its' way now....

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingnomore View Post
I saw this on the net a few days ago and couldn't believe it.
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A View Post
Hi sleepingnomore,

I posted about this in January and back then people didn't beleive it was going to happen or were preocupied about it also...

Best regards,

Steve
Yeah I see a few didn't believe it, LOL, and I posted this.................

Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Anyone wanna bet that this attempt is thrwarted by benevolent E.Ts and then covered-up by NASA afterwards?
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
sleepingnomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A View Post
Hi sleepingnomore,

Best regards,

Steve

Do you want to share your sources Steve?

burgundia,

I agree with you I don't buy the official version either!
Old 06-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
Orion11
Avalon Senior Member

NASA Plans To Fire A Rocket Into The Moon

http://www.impactlab.com/2009/06/18/...into-the-moon/

NASA has plans to fire a rocket into the moon to create a six-mile high explosion

In an unprecedented scientific endeavor - and what may be one of the coolest space missions ever - NASA is preparing to fly a rocket booster into the moon, triggering a six-mile-high explosion that scientists hope will confirm the presence of water.

The four-month mission of the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS), which will be directed from NASA’s Ames Research Center at Moffett Field, is to discover whether water is frozen in the perpetual darkness of craters near the moon’s south pole. As a potential source of oxygen for life support and hydrogen for rocket fuel, that water would be a tremendous boost to NASA’s plans to restart human exploration of the moon.

But the launch is scheduled for Thursday at Cape Canaveral, Fla. It was delayed a day to allow repairs to the space shuttle.

Shuttle Endeavour must fly by this weekend. Otherwise the mission to deliver the final piece of the Japanese space station lab must wait until mid-July because of unfavorable sun angles that would heat up the shuttle. The moon mission - NASA’s first in a decade - must be launched by Saturday as well. Otherwise it will have to wait until the end of the month for another shot.

LCROSS is a crucial mission for Ames because it marks a return to the business of controlling space missions from Silicon Valley’s NASA base, something the center hopes to build on during the next five years. Ames has planned a public ceremony around the launch, starting at about 11 a.m., featuring Apollo 17 astronaut Harrison Schmitt.

And for the 20-odd scientists who helped plan the $79 million LCROSS mission and who will take command of the spacecraft after the launch, the final days before the scheduled launch have been filled with goose-bump anticipation and nagging midnight worries.

“This has been years,” Paul Tompkins, the LCROSS flight director, said of the mission preparations. “All of us have poured our lives into this.”

Intense period

For Kimberly Ennico, the LCROSS payload scientist, those worries are focused on a critical moment less than two hours into the mission, when controllers will signal the spacecraft to turn itself on.

NASA is launching two spacecraft to the moon on a single Atlas V rocket - LCROSS and the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), a probe that will map the surface in a search for safe landing sites for astronauts. Because LRO is the primary spacecraft, LCROSS must be switched off at launch. Ennico’s nine precious instruments have been cold and dark since February - she can tell you the exact number of days - and they will need to work well as the spacecraft hurtles toward a flyby of the moon scheduled for about 3:30 a.m. next Monday, assuming the spacecraft is launched Wednesday.
The entire first week will be an intense period for the controllers at Ames. Working overlapping 13-hour shifts, they will turn the spacecraft on after the orbiter separates, confirm LCROSS was not damaged during launch, perform a critical trajectory burn and complete the 40-minute lunar flyby, which NASA will stream on its Web site.

“Nothing,” Ennico said, “is really routine about this mission.”
LCROSS will use the moon’s gravity during the flyby to catapult itself into an orbit that will take it as far as 500,000 miles away from the moon while NASA finalizes which crater to aim the spacecraft at in October.

Visible debris

LCROSS may be one of NASA’s most participatory missions. If the spacecraft launches on schedule at 12:51 p.m. Wednesday, it would hit the moon in the early morning hours of Oct. 8. The cloud from the 350 metric tons of debris kicked up by the Centaur booster should spread six miles above the surface of the moon, hitting the sunlight and making it visible to amateur astronomers across North America. The space agency is enlisting telescopes around the country to help monitor the impact.

The 1,664-pound spacecraft will have the best view. LCROSS will separate from the Centaur booster less than 10 hours before impact and will be less than 400 miles above the moon when the spent rocket booster collides at a speed five times faster than a bullet from a .44 Magnum. NASA plans to stream a live view from LCROSS as the Centaur, followed by the spacecraft, plows into the moon.

Over the final four minutes of its existence, as it follows the same terminal trajectory as the Centaur, LCROSS will train its instruments and cameras on the debris cloud, searching it for the chemical signature of water.
Previous spacecraft and ground-based instruments have detected signs of hydrogen near the moon’s poles, and scientists are split over whether that is from ice that could have arrived through the impact of comets or by other means.

That ice could have lingered for more than a billion years at the bottom of craters near the lunar poles that have never seen sunlight, where temperatures are more than 300 degrees below zero Fahrenheit.
And despite all the serious scientific talk about hydrogen signatures and lunar regolith, flying a rocket booster into the moon at 5,600 mph to trigger a massive explosion is just flat-out cool.

“We’re certainly going to be making a big splash,” Ennico said. “We’re going to see something, but I don’t know what to expect. I know on the night of the impact, I’ll be running on adrenaline.”
Via Siliconvalley.com

Last edited by Orion11; 06-19-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Orion11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:08 AM   #9
Orion11
Avalon Senior Member

it's weird...

im a bit excited about it....
but it also makes me a little sick to my stomach. lol

Old 06-19-2009, 01:30 AM   #10
sleepingnomore

What happens if they turn the moon into asteriods flying directly at us?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:43 AM   #11
oldpaganfreak
Avalon Senior Member

is this for real???

it is probably the single stupidest thing i have ever heard of.
maybe they are going to destroy 'tranquility base' so no one can prove that there is nothing there.

this is daft!!!
oldpaganfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:54 AM   #12
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

It's real for sure Just blasted off today
BROOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 AM   #13
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

I can think of all kinds of bad things that could go wrong...one that comes to mind is upsetting the orbit....what kind of effect would that have on our planet.... But I think it would have to be pretty severe to do that.....however...it would have to be a pretty big bomb to create a 6 mile high blast
Old 06-19-2009, 04:13 AM   #14
Northern Boy
Avalon Senior Member

First we were going back to the moon now we are blowing it up probably going wake up a whack of space hornets doing this.

Last edited by Northern Boy; 06-19-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Northern Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:35 AM   #15
Orion11
Avalon Senior Member

the effect of gravity on the moon is different from earth,

therefore, i think an explosion of equal size on the surface of both the moon, and earth, would vary quite a bit.

the explosion on the Moon rising much higher than on earth.

but six miles is still pretty big! lol

this is real for sure paganfreak!

exciting times... to say the least. lol
Old 06-19-2009, 04:37 AM   #16
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah I guess it won't hit until around Oct. 8th, according to the article.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:15 AM   #17
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

This will be very enthralling to watch. I'm certain there will be UFO monitoring and even intervention of this event from certain 'factions' who have interests on the Moon.

Get your telescopes out people, won't want to miss the show.
Luminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:39 AM   #18
dolphin
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminari View Post
This will be very enthralling to watch. I'm certain there will be UFO monitoring and even intervention of this event from certain 'factions' who have interests on the Moon.

Get your telescopes out people, won't want to miss the show.
alex collier and others hinted at hidden agendas on the moon w military and et factions there. i have a feeling this is a guise for something to do w the secret bases there which are on the other side of the moon and inside the moon.
dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #19
Orion11
Avalon Senior Member

im thinking maybe they just want to destroy more ancient structures............
and the one they want to destroy is visible from earth, so they have to announce it and make it look like an experiment, because tons of amateur astronomers would see it. lol

kinda just jokin... but kinda not. haha

hmm..... i wonder how we can find out what area of the Moon its going to be directed at?
Old 06-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #20
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

From what I read they don't actually plan to use explosives so the title of this thread is somewhat misleading - that doesnt make what they are doing any better.

They are using the centaur launch vehicle and aiming it so it hists the moon at high speed. When the impactor hits then there will be an explosion like bang due to all that kinetic energy.

I am asking the universe for intervention - I hope everyone else who feels the same way as I do, does the same.

I love the moon - it's my ruling planet So please NASA (and everyone else doing this) - back the f*ck off!

A..

Last edited by Anchor; 06-19-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:43 AM   #21
Orion11
Avalon Senior Member

yea, im right with ya A.

Do you know its target yet?
Im looking now, but not finding it yet..
Old 06-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #22
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

I think somewhere on the South Pole, but my question is why are we the last ones to map the surface and crash something into it?????

China's First Moon Probe Crashes to Lunar Surface

By By Tariq Malik
Senior Editor
posted: 02 March 2009
01:38 pm ET

China’s first moon probe Chang’e 1 intentionally crashed into the lunar surface on Sunday after more than year of science observations, according to state media reports.

The Chang’e 1 orbiter fired its engines to leave lunar orbit Sunday afternoon and ultimately slammed into the moon’s southern region at 4:13 p.m. Beijing Time (0813 GMT), China’s state-run Xinhua News Agency reported.

Launched in October 2007, the 5,180-pound (2,350-kg) satellite Chang’e 1 spacecraft orbited the moon for 16 months. During its flight, the spacecraft used eight onboard instruments to map the lunar surface, study its composition and depth, as well as analyze the space environment around the moon.

Chinese space officials said they planned to launch a follow-up mission — Chang’e 2 — by 2011. Chang’e 1’s intentional crash was slated to be a dry run for a potential moon landing, they said Sunday.

Chang’e 1 was a named after a Chinese goddess who, in a popular fairy tale, lives on the moon. The mission cost a reported 1.4 billion yuan (about $180 million), according to past Chinese media reports.

Officials with the China National Space Agency have said Chang’e 1 was the first wave in a three-phase plan to explore the moon with orbiters, landers and rovers.

http://www.space.com/aol/090302-chin...ge1-crash.html

Indian Lunar Probe Crashes On Moon Surface

By Jesus Diaz, 9:00 AM on Mon Nov 17 2008, 10,847 views

The Moon Impact Probe (MIP), one of the 11 payloads of Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft, successfully hit the lunar surface today at 20:31 hrs (8:31 pm) IST. This is the first Indian built object to reach the surface of the moon. The point of MIP’s impact was near the Moon’s South Polar Region. It may be recalled that the modern Indian space programme was initiated in 1962 when Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was the Prime Minister of India.
Weighing 34 kg at the time of its launch onboard Chandrayaan-1, the box shaped MIP carried three instruments – a video imaging system, a radar altimeter and a mass spectrometer. The video imaging system was intended to take the pictures of the moon’s surface as MIP approached it. The radar altimeter was included to measure the rate of descent of the probe to the lunar surface. Such instruments are necessary for future lunar soft landing missions. And, the mass spectrometer was for studying the extremely thin lunar atmosphere.

MIP’s 25 minute journey to the lunar surface began with its separation from Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft at 20:06 hrs (8:06 pm) IST. This was followed by a series of automatic operations that began with the firing of its spin up rockets after achieving a safe distance of separation from Chandrayaan-1. Later, the probe slowed down with the firing of its retro rocket and started its rapid descent towards the moon’s surface. Information from the its instruments was radioed to Chandrayaan-1 by MIP. The spacecraft recorded this in its onboard memory for later readout. Finally, the probe had a hard landing on the lunar surface that terminated its functioning.

The Moon Impact Probe hit the moon last November 14 at 20:31 IST near the Moon's South Polar Region.

http://gizmodo.com/5090428/indian-lu...n-moon-surface

Japan's first lunar probe ends mission

By SHINO YUASA, AP
posted: 7 DAYS 4 HOURS AGO

TOKYO -Japan's first lunar probe made a controlled crash landing on the moon Thursday, successfully completing a 19-month mission to study the Earth's nearest neighbor, Japan's space agency said.
The remotely controlled satellite, named after the folklore princess Kaguya, had been orbiting the moon to map its surface and study its mineral distribution and gravity levels. It was dropped onto the surface of the moon at 3:25 am. (1825 GMT), the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, or JAXA, said in a statement.
"The mission was a success. Thanks to Kaguya, we will have a very detailed map of the lunar surface," said JAXA spokesman Shinichi Sobue. The Japanese space agency will analyze data sent by Kaguya and plans to publish the results online in November.
The 55 billion yen ($560 million) lunar mission launched in September 2007 is the largest in scope and ambition since the U.S. Apollo program of the 1960s and 70s, Sobue said.
"With data from Kaguya, we hope to shed light on the evolution of the moon," Sobue said.
During the Kaguya project, Japan launched two other orbiters to relay data. One landed on the moon in February, while the other has been measuring gravity around the moon and is still in orbit. Japan launched a moon probe in 1990, but that was a flyby mission.

http://news.aol.com/article/japans-f...n/522877?cid=7

Swedish probe crashes on moon

Published: 3 Sep 06 12:27 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/4769/20060903/

The Swedish-developed space probe SMART-1 crashed on the moon at 7.42am on Sunday - exactly as planned.

Astronomers around the world had urged to try to observe the spectacular conclusion to the probe, which was developed by the Swedish Space Corporation in Solna at the request of the European Space Agency.

The probe has been orbiting the moon since November 2004.

At 7.42 on Sunday morning Swedish time the probe collided with the moon's surface, the news agency AFP confirmed. The impact was calculated to have created a crater between three and ten metres in diameter.

Several of the world's biggest telescopes were trained on the moon on Sunday morning in the hope of observing the impact, either as a weak flash of light or a very big dust cloud.

The Swedish research satellite Odin was also expected to be in a position to capture the collision with its radio receivers.

The probe approached the moon at a very shallow angle and at a speed of around 2 kilometres per second. It was initially planned to take place on August 17th, but it was postponed until Sunday so that it would be visible from Earth.

The probe's objective was primarily to test solar energy technology for powering such devices, and the mission was said to have been a success. The probe also carried out a number of scietific studies with the help of newly-developed miniature instruments.

http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=4769
Old 06-19-2009, 05:57 AM   #23
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Oops looks like the North Pole maybe.........................

Currently, Colaprete's team is searching for the best impact sites inside various shadowed craters. "The first and most important criterion is that we think the impact area will be productive from an ejecta standpoint," Colaprete explains. "If we don't get ejecta into sunlight, it wouldn't matter if we hit an iceberg because we would never know it." For example, if the impact site is close to a high crater wall, the ejecta would have to travel far to get out of the wall's shadow and reach the sunlight above. And if the impactor hits a steep slope in the bottom of a shadowed crater, much of the ejecta would blast out sideways instead of upward toward the sunlight. So a good site would be relatively flat-bottomed — less than about 15° of slope — with a fluffy regolith free of large boulders or rubble that would blunt the blow.
Colaprete says that, so far, one of the best sites appear to be in a 17 km-across unnamed crater just west of Peary crater (88.6° N, 33.0° E), near the Moon’s north pole. "We've gone through essentially every possible launch date and picked a crater for each date".
Choosing impact sites must also take another factor into account: visibility from Earth. Hundreds of amateur and professional astronomers will join the LCROSS robotic orbiter in watching the crash.
The explosion itself will probably be hidden by the walls of the target crater. Instead, what astronomers will look for is the impact plume. An expanding cone of ejecta will rise more than 6 kilometers above the lunar surface and spread outward for about 40 km in every direction. Glistening in the sunlight, the debris is expected to shine like a 6th to 8th magnitude star—invisible to the human eye but an easy target for backyard telescopes.
Colaprete's team will time the impact so that it happens while the Moon is high in the sky at night in Hawaii. There, LCROSS scientists will observe the ejecta plume with the powerful Infrared Telescope Facility. But astronomers on the west coast of the U.S. and in Japan could be able to see the impact as well, depending on the precise impact time. "It really is going to turn into an international event," Colaprete says. "Everyone's going to be training their eyes on the impact to observe it."
Stay tuned to Science@NASA to find out how amateur astronomers can collaborate with LCROSS scientists to help make this historic search for water on the Moon a smashing success.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...aug_lcross.htm
Old 06-19-2009, 05:59 AM   #24
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

I thought they said it was going to impact the south pole??? did I miss something??? Doh
Old 06-19-2009, 06:02 AM   #25
Orion11
Avalon Senior Member

i think we have crashed many things into the moon ourselves.